Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Coaches can sometimes be matched up with players, too - Bobby Petrino (boooooo) was hired by the Falcons almost exclusively because of his experience and skill with one particular type of option offense that, it was believed, Vick would thrive in.

And then Vick got busted and Petrino went down as one of the worst coaches in history.

But yeah, it's a collection of the different factors you mentioned, based on personnel, management, coaching etc. The Steelers run a defensive system that's been fairly consistent since at least the early 1990s, and they hire coaches and players based on that system. But it's not really that the ownership does it - they just keep hiring guys to fit their coaches, and coaches with a philosophy that suits their personnel, and so change happens only slowly over time. It's that sort of consistency in philosophy that lets them be a successful team, as opposed to places where everything gets blown up every offseason.

Some coaches are wedded to their system, even if it gets their quarterback killed (Mike Martz). Some guys are willing to change everything if they have the right players - if you have a guy like Chris Johnson or Ray Lewis and you don't have a scheme where they're utilized, you're a bad coach. Mike Tomlin is a strict Cover-2 guy, but he wasn't going to throw out decades of institutional learning and success when he became HC in Pittsburgh just because he knew how to operate that one specific system.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

It's about the disparity of talent. Somebody like Adrian Peterson goes from playing against guys who will never play the sport again to playing against NFL players in one year and he still sets the record for most yards in a game.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Pro tip: If you don't know anything about a player mentioned in a thread, check youtube or NFL.com. The NFL is the best league in the world at constructing narratives and doing historical pieces on players, from Night Train Lane to Lawrence Taylor. If you've never seen Dick Butkus try to kill a man on the field, you are missing out. If you've never seen the 1970s Raiders play the 1970s Steelers (and the carnage that resulted), you owe it to yourself to look up the pieces that the NFL has put together.

"Lynn Swann? Soft."

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Jerome Agricola posted:

Really? A 4-day-old post with a simple misnomer. You suck so much.

You are very, very wrong. And that's not a misnomer, it's a malapropism.

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Anyway my question is- Aaron Rodgers had a less than ideal (although not nearly as atrocious as Tebow's) throwing motion and spent an offseason working to fix it and bingo now it's perfect. I don't understand why everyone is claiming Tebow's awful motion can't be improved at all- is it really that hard to retrain? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to break down and rebuild, but I've never coached anyone.

Philip Rivers actually had a similar problem coming out of college, but it's different for different QBs. Obviously, if an NFL release was easy to teach then everybody would have it - but it's not that simple.

A lot of these guys have been playing the same way for years. Think of how many throws Tim Tebow has made incorrectly, it must be in the thousands or tens of thousands. You have to unlearn that muscle memory completely. For somebody like Rodgers, who was tweaking something that was already working very well, it's not that difficult, but for somebody like Tebow it's a real challenge.

And that's not the only problem with Timmy's throwing - unlike guys like Byron Leftwich or David Garrard who have less-than-ideal throwing motions, Tebow has the instincts of a running back. So not only do you have to retrain his throwing arm, you have to fix his footwork completely and ask him to stand tall in the pocket making plays.

So in order to fix Tim Tebow's throwing you have to fix the motion he's been using for a decade of QB play, teach him to read an NFL defense, get him to stop running the ball so much, and fix his footwork (that's bad because he always wants to run the ball). And you have to do this in one offseason, or in a few seasons but with him still playing. So yeah, it's a very big challenge

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I remember a reporter asking Rivers about his throwing motion last year specifically because of Tebow, and he said in no uncertain terms that it doesn't matter how much you try to "fix" a throwing motion, because once a quarterback is under pressure or has to make a throw, he's going to go back to what feels the most comfortable anyway.

Also anyone that brings up Rivers when talking about Tebow's throwing motion is ridiculous. Rivers has one of the quickest releases in the NFL, while Tebow has by far the slowest.

You're right, I just meant that there are other quarterbacks who have had issues with their throwing motion and have turned out pretty good. You would know better than me, but IIRC he had a fair amount of work to do coming out of college to get it to an NFL level. Nowhere near Tebow though, not even remotely.

But yeah, like I said, a guy like Tebow will have a lot of trouble unlearning his instincts.

Crunkjuice posted:

Are there any good video's on what every coach does? I get the basics of the position coaches, and what the coordinators do, but i'd love to see an in depth/specific video on how a coach actually coaches. The specific techniques the lines use, or drills a cornerback runs etc. I've never played football, so i have no firsthand experience on how coaches do what they do.

There's actually a lot of good stuff on Youtube. None of it is professional or anything, a lot of that you'll have to pay for. But you can look at blocking drills, footwork stuff, and other pretty specific things - just keep in mind a lot of these guys don't really know what they're talking about beyond the basics. I played o-line and d-line for a long time and I've seen some pretty dumb recommendations for techniques.

It's also good to check out breakdowns on NFL network, Playbook will often have guys talking about specific techniques and things like that. I wish there was like a "Hank Stram teaches you coaching" DVD series, that would be awesome

e: Also, for those of you who want to learn more history, here's awesome coach Hank Stram mic'd up during Super Bowl IV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZxFtVsBVg

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 7, 2011

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

heladocasero posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is an NFL release? What factors are desirable in the way a QB throws the ball, and why are they good/bad?

Speed, accuracy, and form. Here is a thing I wrote earlier about Cam and Brady, obviously I'm a loving idiot because Cam owns all the loving bones

Blackula69 posted:

No, it's a collection of things. Footwork and mechanics, honestly just Googling it and trying to watch for things in real games. There are a lot of guides out there for young quarterbacks and coaches that teach good fundamentals. It's amazing how some guys (Cam Newton) can make it to the NFL level with sub-par fundamentals, they just make it because they're freakish athletes.

Oh poo poo, here's an awesome thing I found just googling, it's Tom Brady's mechanics broken down by his QB coach: http://www.boston.com/sports/special/patriots/playoffs2006/brady_throw/ Look at how he ends up, and his body positioning. That's pure quarterbacking, you know it when you see it.

And here's a breakdown (by some rear end in a top hat on youtube, but hey) about Cam Newton's throwing motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlU2kKNwmA

I wrote some dumb poo poo about Cam Newtown here, he owns and i was wrnog

e: Oh, and another thing. You'll notice that every Tom Brady touchdown looks the same - he almost always throws with a similar motion. It's like a boxer's punch: once you do it right, it's hard to do it wrong. With worse quarterbacks, you'll see them throwing all sorts of different ways. Brady looks almost the same every time (at least in his footwork and fundamentals).

And here's an even more in-depth look at throwing motions: http://smartfootball.com/quarterbacking/can-a-quarterbacks-throwing-motion-be-improved

Basically a lot of people can throw the football and do it pretty well. But at an NFL level you have very little margin for error, so you need to make your motion as good as it can possibly be. If you have a hitch, or you don't get it out quick enough, or some other random issue, defenses will pick up on it and destroy you. Giving somebody like Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed an extra half-second to react to your throw is suicide

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2011

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

No because it was wrong. Arguing about who is over- or underrated is kind of dumb because rating itself is subjective. Cam is pretty awesome, but it could just be because teams don't have tape on him and he's getting lucky. But the guy's got a huge arm and awesome quicks, he'll be a success for a while in this league. He has a pretty bad release and his passes tend to sail, but he's awesome as gently caress in every other facet of the game (except reading defenses which he'll get better at).

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Also everybody forgot Steve Smith was a really good wide receiver, including Steve Smith. But he remembered in the offseason

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Hirsch was the first wide receiver as we know it today. He was the first guy to be split out wide IIRC, and the first guy to wear a plastic helmet. So yeah, he did revolutionize the passing game, and he was a pretty good player too.

I'm sure nobody could cover back then, so he only had to make one guy miss and then it way touchdown city.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I was going to type up a thing but here you go: http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/10/linemen-splits.html

quote:

This doesn't always come up, but one of the most interesting games within the game in football are the splits between the offensive linemen. Some teams use a lot of wide splits, with as much as three to even six feet between linemen, while others keep it closer to roughly a foot, or even toe-to-toe. But like everything else in football, what kind of splits you take is informed both by what the defense does and what your philosophy is.

To understand why splits matter, you need to understand how defensive fronts align. Typically, most defenses are taught to align on the basis of where the offensive guys align, which makes sense because those defenders are trying to get through or around the blockers to get to the running back or quarterback. So defensive linemen and linebackers were told from the earliest days of football to align "on the inside eye of the guard," "heads up the center," or "on the outside eye of the tackle." The linebackers had similar instructions, though they aligned behind the offensive line. Over time, defenses got better at mixing up these alignments, even before the snap. We've all seen linemen shift from the outside eye of the guard to the gap between the guard and center, or simply align late. All this is designed to confuse blocking schemes.

More at the link

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

McKracken posted:

Unless you are SA2k or a fan of a division rival there is nothing really hate-able about the Chargers.

Untrue, I hate them and their underachieving ways with a passion.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SA2k

There is a team that wins playoff games
A team with a great coach, a great quarterback, and a defense that is Lights Out
A team that doesn't disappoint

Give yourself to the dark side. Your posts betray you. It is the only way to win the Lombardi

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Looking to buy my first jersey (I'm in Germany), gonna have it shipped to a friend who's on vacation in the States right now. Does anyone know any outlets for Replica/Premier Carolina Panthers jerseys that I haven't checked yet? I've been to the official website as well as NFL.com and googled around a bit but I can't for the life of me find a Newton/Smith jersey in size S. Speaking of sizes: I wear a European S T-Shirt size so I reckon that's what I'm stuck with?

Yukijersey.com. We should put this in the OP. And even the smallest size will be big - you seem like you're on the slender side. I wear a medium or large in American sizing and I wear a small jersey comfortably as a shirt.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

He killed it with that press conference - there's no way to do a follow-up

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

As good a time as any to post the best player interview ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Odovaucer posted:

College football is not exactly "just go out there and have fun". There is still a tremendous amount invested. I suspect it has more to do with there being less of a drop off between starting quarterbacks and reserves in college.
it's not even close to the same amount of value in one player, though, and college football fans are tuning in year after year to see a team of interchangeable players. The nfl makes protecting your stars so much more important.

Also defensive ends and outside linebackers are so much stronger and quicker in the NFL that options outside the tackles rarely work. A single dominant DE can shut down an option play completely - imagine college kids trying to run that poo poo on Julius Peppers

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm seriously considering cancelling my cable, but my only hangup is that I'll no longer be able to watch football (really the only thing I watch on it these days). What are some routes for watching football that don't go through me having basic cable (and won't offset the ~ $70-$80/month that I'll be saving)?

E: Ideally, something that also lets me utilize the TV I own.
I haven't had cable in two years. HD antenna + streams works out pretty well, grab a $25 one from mono price.com and check the web to see if nearby spergs have figured out the directions for the towers.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Rob Johnson was the original starter and Flutie came in to replace him; Flutie proceeded to win a lot of games (in 1998). Next season (1999) was an open competition, and Flutie won, but Rob Johnson looked really good against a lovely Colts defense when Flutie was resting, so Wade Phillips decided to start him in the playoffs.

The moral of this story is that Wade Phillips is a defensive coach.
Wade has said that the decision came from on high, almost as if a senile old man wanted a quarterback taller than 5'10" to lead his team into the playoffs.

And we all know how well that went

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Only on certain specific penalties, I believe too many men is one of a few (or maybe the only one). It's not applicable for judgement calls or in-play penalties, just pre-snap stuff

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Spaseman posted:

I'm thinking about getting the trial for NFL Game Rewind but I noticed this line: "Upon expiration of Free Trial on September 17th, you will be billed at the discounted price of $69.99 unless you cancel in accordance with the applicable instructions."

Is this their way of saying that canceling is a pain in the rear end or am I reading too far into it?
you're reading too far into it.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I love that avatar.

I think I need a new one, maybe just an injured O-lineman

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

And there are certain physical limitations to many positions that slot a guy in at one thing or another - someone line Terrell Suggs was never going to be anything but an outside linebacker/DE (but even then a 9-tech or whatever).

Ronde and Tiki Barber are good examples of versatility though. Identical twins at 5'10" 215lbs who played CB and RB, they could each have played the others' position. But one's an idiot and one's still making plays so

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

bvlah posted:

Is there a big difference for linemen starting from a three point stance to a four point stance?
Very, sort of. 4-point is usually only used for bull-rushes or straight speed plays, but it's very easy to get washed out by a block because of the way you balance coming out of it. If a d-lineman is in a 4-pt, they're not going to be doing anything except pushing upfield.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

And the look he gives in the end is just the best.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

That's literally the face he makes.

And that's just the pregame.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

It looks like they only got permission to film until the game started, probably par for the course in the NCAA

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Chandler Jnes is Jon Jones' brother? Holy poo poo, those are some pretty good genes.

Jon Jones is a pretty amazing fighter

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Didn't the Gronks beat the poo poo out of each other 24/7 in some institutionalized form of toughening up or something

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

In Gronkdad's defence I might do the same if I knew my kids would grow up to be monstrous in size

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Do you live in the US?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Well then you're hosed for legal alternatives. Looks like you're the guinea pig

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

If you're 6'3" and your wife is 5'10" maybe it's time to torture your children into being sports stars.

On a related note, Andre Agassi's book is totally amazing and a great read for anyone interested in the sports dad phenomenon.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Was at a HS game this past week where they had it with 4th and goal on the 4 yard line and opted to go for it (they were stopped at the 1). HS kickers are bad. Getting extra points is a bonus, not an assumption.

My team lost the Ontario championship on a rouge. loving Canadian football

We ran a fake punt on our last drive because our punter could only kick like 30 yards

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Perdido posted:

So I may not have seen this right, but in the MNF game, it looked like the Eagles had a second receiver lying down on his stomach in the end zone, with the other guy sorta serving as a decoy.

Is that right? If so, what the gently caress.

And is the touchdown that was waved off ruled null because it was a forward pass, or was there something else going on there?
Yes because it owned and was something new in a game that had seen everything.

And yes because desean Jackson is a retard and should've stopped and set his feet before he did it

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

what's a fixture? I played for years and I don't know what those words mean.

What position?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Vando posted:

'Fixture' is a Brit word for 'game' (and I used it because technically there were two other games in there, but were default wins).

Position: wherever. I think it's a bit 'get bodies on the field who have good physical performance' at this stage. I doubt I'd make a good lineman, though.

Yeah, I was just joshin'. Brits and their crazy slang, it's enough to make you reach for a rooty tooty point n' shooty

Important question: What size are you, and what size are the other players on your team/in the league?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I wish there was a league in Canada where you could just suit up with a bunch of other weekend warriors, that would be awesome.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Is the whole BCS ranking system as dumb as it seems to me? Given that teams mostly play in their own conferences, how can you possibly determine and account for the differences in the level of competition between the conferences?

It seems like you might as well say the level of talent on college teams is clearly better than on NFL teams because there are multiple undefeated college teams and no undefeated NFL teams this year. Never mind that they have no common opponents and the level of competition is totally different.

Yes.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Make a thread about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Dey Yah posted:

I read a book once that was written by a reporter who hung out with the Chicago Bulls throughout the course of a season. He went to all their games and practices and traveled with them and did little impromptu interviews with benchwarmer guys, etc. Does anyone know of any similar books about NFL football? Just kind of an in-depth look at one team going through one season?
North Dallas forty. A few bricks shy of a load.vthere's a bunch and most of them are great, including the Blind Side

• Locked thread