Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

sc0tty posted:

Got my fantasy draft coming up this Sunday. It's auction style so will be a little harder than anticipated, but excited for the upcoming season.

My current plan going into this is to get Andre Johnson..and figure the rest out on the day.

Loving the info in the thread, and will update the OP with a some of the more general info posted asap.

Have a top tier running-back in mind, since the drop off between productive and meh is gigantic.

Is anyone else really happy that you can select individual Defensive players in fantasy drafts now? If only I could take O-lines we'd be all set and I'd be in "unnoticed but important" heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For me its a two step process that if TV actually gave me Madden-Cam (tm) would be an engrossing three step orgy of information.

First thing you gotta watch is the line, if its gonna be a pass play that needs time to develop all the action starts there. On a run its crucial to see who is where and how loudly you should yell at your tv for terrible run blocking.

Second, if its not a dumpoff in its many forms, you go to watching the ball, as now its a race between the QB furiously looking at poo poo off screen and the d-line that is inevitably coming to destroy him. Then the ball is thrown at something offscreen or at a funky angle and you have to see if the receiver actually catches it or goes anywhere with it.

Alternate: If we have Madden-Cam for every play, you'd be able to watch the routes develop and see exactly how the o-line collapsed, resulting in a hurried QB dumping it off onto a receiver who botched a route and let a rookie CB pick him off like it was a turkey hunt. Basically, give me Madden-Cam every play goddamit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

balancedbias posted:

I wish I knew what that advantage felt like because I'm a Giants fan and they win much more on the road.

If I had to guess its likely more pronounced in a Dome. New Orleans and the Seahawks regularly clear 115-120 decibels while the away team is on offense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

E_Motion posted:

Since when is CenturyLink/Qwest a dome stadium? Also, I always heard that the two hardest stadiums for opposing teams to visit were Qwest and Arrowhead which are both open air

I, uh, I'm future posting (I meant the Colts in regards to Domes).

:negative:

I've never heard of Arrowhead being loud, though.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 16, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frankston posted:

I've watched the Superbowl a few times before but I never understood what was going on and always ended up bored and frustrated. This year I got an American to explain it to me and I ended up enjoying the hell out of it and I now consider myself a fan of the sport.

Then I found out the season doesn't start again till September? :doh:

I've decided to go for the Philadelphia Eagles, purely because when I used to follow the NHL I supported the Flyers. Are they any good? The extent of my knowledge is that their QB was arrested for dog fighting.

They have one of the best Coaches in the NFL (who admittedly has never won a Superbowl) and have a bevy of good players currently. As a huge bonus, they're one of the most likely teams to get a primetime game because they play in the NFC East. The QB who was arrested for Dog Fighting fought dogs while QB for another team, upon release from jail he signed with the Eagles. He's a pretty QB when healthy, but unfortunately his play style involves exposing himself to a ton of personal risk. Expect to either make the playoffs or watch him explode into a pile of viscera this season.

This year they were, uh, wildly underperforming but the liklihood of them being long-term terrible is pretty low. Be aware that being a fan of the Eagles has a pretty thugish connotation in the US. Your most hated rival is everyones' most hated rival, the goddamn loving Cowboys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dunkman posted:

I just moved to San Francisco from Dallas, and I was wondering if I should be a Raiders of a 49ers fan. I am originally from upstate New York, so I'm sort of a Bills fan, but not really.

I sort of like the black/white color combo the raiders have, but I live in SF so maybe I should be a 49ers fan. The last time I heard anything about either team was in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Any help?

49ers give you an opportunity to be smug as gently caress 24/7 about rings and recently despite their QB they've gotten really really good.

The Raiders have a great color scheme but are basically crack addicts trying to clean up right now.

The Bills ARE A WHAGON WITH NO BRAKES!!!! BUFFFALLOOOOOOOOOO. Seriously though, they are bitter dissapointment that is being a weak team that has to share a division with Tom Brady and whose history is summed up with "Laces Out" Unlike the other two, you can't really be a bandwagon fan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dunkman posted:

I'm leaning more towards the Raiders. Before the 94 strike (when I was 11...), I was a huge Canseco fan and had a bunch of A's hats. Those are long gone to history, but I still feel some sort of deep immutable connection. They've never even sent me a card, but I feel as though I should pour all of my sports emotions in to those two teams.

Sleep well, and listen to your new lullaby as you fall asleep.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bluegoon posted:

As a loving burly stereotypical staunch dutch South African, who grew up playing rural SA school Rugby (Prop), and watching it, I want to get into NFL, I bought the Madden 13 game, and also bought a Game Pass from the NFL web site, I like the Colts, because I like horses, and they have a horseshoe for a logo, I'm trying to figure out what in the hell is going on, what sort of approaches, from a Rugby perspective, can I take to understand NFL?

Welcome to football and welcome to a rebuilding year. Your team, the Colts, have just come off of a decade of dominance on the backs of one of the best players of the game and has gone all in on who people believe will be the next dominant player.

In terms of rules and approaches American Football (gridiron, or whatever) revolves around a process of tackling->play the ball->tackle. Vaguely similar to the six-tackle League rule, if a team is tackled 4 times (i.e., play the ball-> tackle 4 times) without moving the ball 10 yards the ball is turned over to the other team. Should the team make the ten yards they are given a fresh set of 4 chances to move the ball 10 yards from their last stopping point. Everything in football is measured by each of these self contained play the ball->tackle sequences called downs; thusly named for the number of times the ball carrier has been taken down before crossing the 10 yard requirement.

Is there are particular aspect of the rules you want to know about? I'd honestly recommend playing with Madden as it has a solid tutorial and training sequences to help you get intimately familiar with the various esoteric rules of football.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stephen posted:

What is the fascination with college football in America? I can understand if you live in an area not easily accessible to an NFL team, but I know people that don't even care about the NFL but are insanely religious about this and that college team. If the best players go to the NFL and it's all the same rules (pretty much), isn't college football just an inferior version of the NFL?

I hope this question didn't sound condescending because I don't mean it that way at all. It just seems to me that a lot of people would rather watch an amateur sport when the professional version is right there.

College football is far older and how the sport was founded and played for the first 40 years of its life. In addition, when you attend college you have a team given to you where everyone else you know roots for that team, you get tickets to that team, and that team dominates life. Those players are younger and preparing for the pros and you interact with them and become bound by your shared university with them. You build this intense bond between football and your college life in a way that the NFL cannot hope to match.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stephen posted:

The way you describe it makes me a bit jealous that I didn't get to be a part of an American college. =(

If you have a chance, Stephen Fry's road-trip psuedo-documentary where he visits each American state features a segment where he goes to a college football game that I think does a good job of showing you how emotionally involved and intense the experience can be. 50-80k people in a stadium, all who attend or attended or are children hoping to attend the school watching their own fellow classmates or future alumni brethren play a sport that is entirely American and founded from its inception to compete between universities. It is pageantry, emotion, and group culture at its finest.

Geaux Tigers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Gatorade is unquestionably the foulest thing I've ever put in my mouth. Is it like "the worse it tastes, the better it is for you"?

Gatorade is pretty delicious, usually. Did somebody whip you up a home-made batch or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Both younger Mannings were no. 1 picks!

e: and dad was a #2 overall pick, how about being the #2 overall pick and being outclassed by BOTH of your sons

Only two of his sons. Granted Cooper had medical issues and played b-ball and is now an absurdly rich man in energy in New Orleans but whatever ONLY TWO.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Saw your pre-edit and was like :drat:

But yeah, the only two football-capable sons :v:

Yeah it felt like way too big of a slam on Cooper especially given his success in life despite his crippling case of Manning-Big-Head.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Maybe not a rookie question, but has there been any analysis done on comparitive costs for assembling various prototypical defenses/offenses? Is an average 4-3 defense more expensive than the average 3-4? I know that PEte Carroll is known for utilizing a lot of guys on defense with less "prototypical" builds and talents, and I'm wondering if that results in a more effective defense based on cost...

Basically is there a "moneyball" approach to team assembly?

Stuff like that has permeated the sport but something to keep in mind is statistical relevance. A typical NFL players career is 3-5 years and in terms of total games thats less than half a single season of play for a baseball player. Statistical modeling, advanced metrics, and price arbitrage (aka Moneyball) in baseball relies on multiple samples for a single player with each typically 10 times larger than football.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 12, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Febreeze posted:

So I've always wondered this but where did the term "homer" like "Patriots homer" come from, exactly? TFF is the only place I've seen the term used and I always thought it had something to do with the Simpsons but never actually knew.

I thought it came from Home Towner, aka somebody who roots for a team no matter what because its were they came from. Shorten to homer to indicate that the person is a die-hard whose connection is deeper than just "I follow this team"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another important thing to note, and this has been seen changing the league throughout, is that 1st round rookies are staggeringly cheap now. You can sign a guy to 5/6 year contract for basically pocket money get 3 years to prove him to be an excellent talent and possibly still get a first back for him because there are still years left on his contract where the new team gets to pay him minimal amounts.

Given that for many teams the difference between a mediocre veteran and middling rookie are minimal expect lots of teams to start filling up on rookies on cheap contracts and trying to dump every non-lynchpin veteran on their roster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

Hi! My wife and I are going to a professional football game for the first time in our lives. What can we expect? We got heavily discounted endzone tickets through my work.

The game is the Eagles vs. Giants in Philadelphia. Has anyone ever been there? What's the food like? We also get a food voucher with our tickets.

I understand you can't bring even a purse into the stadium these days?

You'll be watching a rivalry game so enjoy a cascade of angry boos from all sides but it should be a pretty good matchup even if on paper/by metric the Giants are terrible. If you get lucky you'll spot the Blue-Chested New Yorker in its natural habitat of the away game.

I can't speak specifically for Philly stadium but expect the usual stadium options (beer, hot dogs, pretzels, beer, pizza, beer, beer, burger) with maybe a local philly option thrown in for good measure. If you're sitting Endzone expect to have the second best food options available to you.

You can bring a see-through bag. They'll happily sell you one for absurdly inflated prices at the front door but I'd recommend you just cut them off at the pass.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

What do you mean by "second best" food options? How do I get the "best" without being in the VIP boxes? And is there a menu somewhere? I'm looking at the stadium website and it looks like it was made by three monkeys in 1997.

Typically food is divvied up based on what level your seats are at. The worst food (read: stadium food only) is typically top level. Bottom level where your sitting is usually the second best assortment so you'll have stadium food and likely a couple unique items/better quality things than on the top level. The mid-level typically houses all the really good stuff and mixed drinks but they'll turn you away like a prole at most stadiums if you try to get in there sans ticket.

There likely will not be a menu anywhere other than at individual food stands. Stadiums are built to repeat venue locations so outside of the mid level after about 4 or 5 stalls you've probably seen everything your floor has to offer food wise. With you and your partner expect to spend at least 20 bucks if you only eat and 40 if you plan to have an alcoholic beverage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StoicFnord posted:

I have a question.

I come from a Rugby Union background, where free flowing back pass the ball a lot.

The question is:
Why aren't laterals used a lot more in the NFL?

Its incredibly risky compared to Rugby Union. The play where a lateral is most likely to occur is the play that most resembles the free flowing offense with people spread across the field of Rugby, the kick off return. In all other play scenarios you're hoping to lateral across multiple defenders several of whom are likely already upon you due to lining up and by throwing a rather purposefully difficult to throw object that you have likely not attempted to throw since you were 10-12 years old you open yourself up to giving the opposition the ball which is dreadfully tough to recover from in football.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

How come nobody ever does a fake fg/punt in the NFL?

Its relatively rare because the NFL is an overly conservative league so going for it on 4th has just started to become a thing teams will do in situations where its 99% the better option. The other reason is because its not a large part of the teams repertoire they don't necessarily have the training and experience to do it effectively resulting in disastrous outcomes if the defense doesn't bite.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Basil Hayden posted:

Last night I had a strange dream where I was rooting for something called a "Tennessee Titans".

But yeah this is probably a good idea. Historically the only NFL game I've watched most seasons is the Super Bowl, so I know very little of what most teams look like. This may be part of the problem, really.

Never go against dream-visions. You are now a Titans fan forever and ever and may Cuahutl the Serpent King, Bringer of Football Fandom, watch over you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Definitely going Falcons. Been watching season highlights this evening, and I'm liking their whole plucky underdog who sometimes play like world beaters then other times like they've never seen a football before. This is definitely my poo poo.

Plus their shirts cool and their stadium looks like R2 D2's anus.

As a Saints fan, I'd like to welcome you to the NFC South. Please enjoy our traditions of being the only division since 2002 to send all four of its teams to the conference championships, Southern "Charm", being a division where no team is a founding NFL or AFL member, and all 4 teams have losing franchise records due to loooooong stretches of being abysmally bad. Also, you root for Atlanta so I'm obligated to inform you that I loathe the Flacons and hope that General Sherman rises from the grave and makes Atlanta panic and burn itself to the ground again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FIRST TIME posted:

Oh please, you just have to go back one year and the NFC West has done the same thing. :rolleyes:

Please, like we can count that far back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Gonna be quoting my post from last February if the Falcons win the Super Bowl to prove I'm not a glory hunter. What a season and cheers for the people who recommended I pick Atlanta as my team.

Don't worry, nobody else in the NFC south is gonna forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

screaden posted:

Am I allowed to join in on the self-loathing "my team forever sucks" posting yet?

Welcome to being a fan in the NFC South, feel free to go on incomprehensible rants about how poo poo your team is and will always be even when you do end up leading the division.

• Locked thread