Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Serotonin posted:

That's cool, I'm quite interested in the American Civil War and I knew about the Atlanta burning thing.

If you haven't already, you should read Lincoln, by Gore Vidal .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sash! posted:

Yet seem to have an overwhelmingly African-American fanbase.

Might have something to do with the fact they're based in Washington DC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Which is exactly what the Niners realized so Levi's is built for corpo events and Tay Tay concerts and occasionally some football happens there.

God knows the field wasn't built for people playing football on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ross Angeles posted:

Qualcomm is a dump and Petco Park is beautiful

I refuse to believe there's a stadium called Petco Park. Qualcomm might be a dump, but at least if you squint at the name you can pretend it's a French officer who fought in the Revolution or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Benne posted:

The Kingdome was a loving shithole and the day it got demolished is still the happiest day of my life

I liked it when I was a kid, I do miss the era of stadiums that weren't named for corporate sponsors. the two years Seahawk Stadium hadn't sold the naming rights were nice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Does anyone remember, or even better, have video evidence of Dennis Miller's stint on Monday Night Football? I've read some terrible quotes, but I feel they don't do him justice.

I wasn't watching football then, but was that before or after 9/11 drove him insane?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's hilarious to me when i'm watching an NFL stream and it's SkySports so the halftime commentators are 2 lovely American college players who are willing to fly to England and the one guy in England who gives a poo poo about the NFL. Especially if it's the second Monday night game because that means it's like 3 am there and you realize British sportscasters who are good at it don't have to work at 3am.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Browns and Lions were the dominant teams of the 50s. One day maybe we can return to that glorious time.

They'll probably be the dominant teams of the 2050's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Serotonin posted:

I was watching the Falcons Broncos game and the commentators kept going on about the Broncos QB being new to the huddle, not being used to it. I'm assuming it's something to do with the difference between college/NFL in terms of tactics but could someone explain.

Also my choice of Falcons as my team is working well. I'm used to crushing disappointment as a West Ham fan. Is this coming some time soon or are they really looking as good as they seem to my uncultured British eyes ?

Seahawks are gonna stomp all over them next Sunday.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

I watched some football this weekend for the first time in years. I noticed the following items that were pink:

Shoes
Socks
Gloves
Wrist bands
Mouth guards
Chin straps
Arm sleeves
Upright pads
Whistles
Fan signs
Ads/logos
Towels
Shirts
Face paint
Things I didn't recognize

So, I take this to mean that the NFL really cares about women and their health. Can someone confirm?

They care as much as a bracelet counts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Or if he hadn't gone to prison and gone back to starting at almost square one. Vick is kind of a tragic figure in that he could've been one of the best ever, and that's our loss, but luckily it's easy to not feel sorry for him.

He went to prison for hosting and betting on dog fights, the tragic part is the NFL caring more about the gambling than the dog fights.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

screaden posted:

Are kickers/punters (not sure what the proper terminology is) pretty much completely disposable?

I don't have a lot to add, but kickers are very important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Volkerball posted:

That system is run by league officials, not the teams. The back up helmets are kept under lock and key, and use is monitored. It's not really something you can exploit.

Bluetooth is getting smaller and smaller.

• Locked thread