Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Scotty posted:

Choosing a team

Any suggestions on choosing a team for those that are new to the sport. Obviously its easy if you actually live in the US, but for us dirty foreigners we have free reign to choose whatever team won last year we like.

The Miami Dolphins are the obvious choice here. We have the funniest/wackiest player in the league in Ricky Williams, the Wildcat, and legendary NFL iron-man Chad Pennington who has twice returned from major injury to win Comeback Player of the Year award. Also we have the best avatars in TFF and you'll be part of this highly exclusive gang.

Also this:

Cool Photos!:
  • http://www.daylife.com/ - This site is pretty good. Easy to search and good layout to view multiple photos per page. Whether it's pregame, mid-play , practices or the Dan Marino Celebrity Classic Golf Tournament, Daylife usually has a wide selection. The only downside is the quality of some of the photos is grainy and less than perfect.
  • http://www.life.com/ - Better than Daylife simply because of how extensive their collection is and the high quality of the work. You can easily find pictures of players dating back to college and you can view 60 thumbnails per page which is nice. You can't directly copy the pictures though so you'll have to Print Screen and then go from there. Seriously, Life.com is incredible.
  • http://sports.yahoo.com/ - They usually have lots of photos posted directly after games which in my experience are different than a lot of ones you see on other sites. Sometimes the viewer gets messed up though and it can be a hassle to find/navigate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

sc0tty posted:

What's an SB caliber?

:gonk:

Super Bowl caliber. Don't worry though, the Texans aren't anywhere that.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

TheSkipster posted:

Looks like the slot receiver.

I love the fact the Chargers DBs are aware enough to see whats about to happen so they shove the two receivers into each other. Also, I might be wrong but something very similar happened to the Raiders again last season but I can't remember exactly what it was.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Dominion posted:

There's a spot you can hit AP which renders him momentarily mortal.

Yeah it's called the playoffs.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers
Wait, I thought people called him AD more than AP? I thought the All Day nickname was used a lot more often, am I wrong?

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Gendo posted:

Let me come up with a disparaging term for LeDanli-- oh

It's a shame LDT was so good holding onto the ball and only his wife had issues miscarrying things, this would be so much easier. Well I guess I'll see you all in Hell now!

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

BigJake posted:

we're gonna get a NFL and NBA lockout in the same year, please let the MLS have one too

The NHL's only hope.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Dramatika posted:

Wikipedia says they banned tinted facemasks except for medical need in the 1998 season. I tried looking for a better source, but suprise, NFL.com doesn't seem to have a listing of rule changes by year.

Yeah it was 1998 when they were banned and it's across the board, from pee-wee to college, then the pros. The last time I recall someone wearing a visor for any reason other than medical was Ronnie Brown a few years back. He rocked the Fire Visor because it made him stand out, and then got fined for it.

Helmet visors are badass. I understand why they banned them, but I still don't like it.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

tk posted:

That is not badass. That's like when you were in elementary school and you wanted to get the lazer background on your school picture, but your mom made you get the standard blue because she was not an idiot.

Maybe it's just me then, but I think it goes well with the uniform well so maybe that is why I like it.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Pop Dog posted:

I think they did this once

The suits were also made by Reebok because it's the only clothing coaches are allowed to wear on the sidelines. They were specially designed.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Kevyn posted:

Girlfriend-type question, I know. What are those guys on the sidelines who are holding what appears to be a giant glass shield? Collision-proof cameramen or something?

Parabolic Microphones. They're good for picking up sounds from a distance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_microphone

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

konna posted:

Why is the NFL Combine in Indianapolis? Any specific reason why it's there every year?

I'm going to assume the central location (well, kind of) of Indianapolis, along with the dome, make it the easiest location for all the teams, players and everyone else to get to. You're going to need a dome to conduct all the drills at and it's the only dome in the middle of the country. I could be wrong though, that's just my guess.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Dominion posted:

That plus Lucas Oil Stadium is known to have a very fast running track, which inflates (or deflates, I guess) everyone's 40 stats and makes them look better.

I had no idea about this part. That's really interesting actually.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

McKracken posted:

In the NFL, or any passing system remotely based off a pro offense, the passing game will contain 3 major series. These are 3, 5 and 7 step passes (there's also the screen game, but that's a bit different.) There are very specific mechanics for the QB to follow after taking the snap and getting into his drop while properly setting his feet and throwing the ball.

QB's who run a spread system in college very often do not take snaps under center, and very rarely uses the 3/5/7 footwork that is ubiquitous in the NFL. Footwork of course is a large component of accuracy and the ability of the QB to throw a good ball to his target.

The spread offense also typically uses a hyper-simplified read/progression system. In some cases, pre-snap the QB will simply read the secondary to see if the middle is open or closed and take his post-snap action without really reading the post-snap defense. There's also more of a learning curve for a spread QB as opposed to a player who came from a pro-style system.

Going off this, I always see people bring up proper footwork and stuff like that and I've always wondered what this entailed. Can someone go into detail and maybe post some links to youtube or something that can show me good v. bad footwork.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

jeffersonlives posted:

I'll see what I can come up with, but in general these types of coaching tools and tapes cost some money and wouldn't be on Youtube.

Not even so much coaching tapes, but maybe just quarterback highlight videos perhaps and what I should look for would be awesome. I know you know your stuff incredibly well so anything you can provide would be awesome.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers
Awesome write up JeffersonLives I appreciate it.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

SteelAngel2000 posted:

#sports on irc.synirc.net

Just to be clear here it's a lot different than the forums. Like completely different in all ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Kalli posted:

Basically it was dug up that there's a number of videos out there and information on swinger and fetish websites that match up with Rex and his wife, and when the New York media pounced, he admitted it.

And yeah, the videos were of the two of them doing foot fetish stuff apparently.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but the whole thing seemed to blow over fairly quick. Considering the market and the personality involved you figured it would have been a lot bigger and looking back it doesn't seem like it was. Like it was a week or so of jokes and then kind of gone.

• Locked thread