Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Yeah, this is what I wrote the last time it came up:

jeffersonlives posted:

I've seen books like the AFCA manuals and Coach of the Year clinic stuff show up at bookstores, hit and miss of course. Pat Kirwan put out a book a few months ago in a similar vein to the Layden book that is supposedly a lot better, but I haven't had a chance to look at it.

Someone really needs to write an entry-level strategy book that doesn't suck. Hell, maybe Kirwin did, I still haven't read it.

The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam gets into a lot of strategy and such in between fellating Bill Belichick. It's a great book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

where RB1 would run a jet sweep right and RB2 would run between the tackles, sort of like the wildcat. The fullback was directly in front of the RB2 to the quarterback's right and would lead block or take playaction up the middle. That look familiar? It's not exactly what Wikipedia shows for the pistol, looks kind of like a pistol/wildcat hybrid to me. It looked cool anyway.

This is basically the ski-gun formation. It's a flexbone at pistol depths. Popped up a few years ago at the HS/small college level, and Georgia Tech (which runs a lot of the conventional flexbone) has been messing around with it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Ace, thanks. Do you think this sort of multi-back set could gain popularity in the NFL what with the rise of running back-by-committee and the hybrid slot-RB guys? Seems like a good way to involve multiple backs and take the weight off your workhorse guy.

Definitely possible, though not for awhile.

NFL teams have definitely been incorporating spread option principles, but with the exception of Chan Gailey they've been a little hesitant to start using pistol-style concepts regularly. The NFL has generally been tracking about five or ten years behind the colleges in terms of offensive innovation, so we'll see.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If you try not to focus on anything in particular, after awhile you'll start seeing the whole field even on television. It helps if the television you're watching isn't gigantic and you're sitting far enough away, so the entire screen fits easily in your field of vision. The least interesting part of the play is usually where the ball is, and the most interesting part is usually where the ball is going a couple seconds later.

I do agree that the relatively recent proliferation of very good replay angles helps a lot, especially with things that are hard to evaluate off the typical television wide shot, such as safety play.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Koskinator posted:

How often(if ever) are trick plays run that involve a tight end carrying the ball?

Almost never these days. In the 70s and earlier, about as often as you'd see a WR running the ball on a gadget play in the present day; most of your good tight ends would see a few carries a season.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Tony Gonzalez has 2 carries in his career. Antonio Gates 0, Dallas Clark 4, Jason Witten 0. Mike Ditka had 2 for an older guy, not sure what other names from that era to check.

Go back even further to guys like Jackie Smith and John Mackey - they would regularly have a few a year, sometimes more.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Also don't see what the perceived benefit is since your scheme stacks the guys right next to each other. You might have something if the players are at different depths, but even then you can do that more effectively out of the pistol and its variants anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

spankweasel posted:

The entire benefit of something like this is the element of misdirection on where the center snaps the ball.

Misdirection over who gets the ball is meaningless. Misdirection over where the ball is going is a positive, but merely snapping the ball to a guy an extra two feet away doesn't really create any misdirection. Indeed, it even makes those sorts of quick hit plays that this type of formation would want to run a little bit easier to defend because you get to have another guy in the box or in containment.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 16, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Koskinator posted:

When a team has a lefty at QB, do the left and right tackles swap positions?

Occasionally.

Koskinator posted:

If so, does a 'left tackle' mean literally the guy on the left side of the line, or the guy on the blind side?

The left tackle is always the guy to the quarterback's left.

Koskinator posted:

Do the guards also swap positions? What about the defense?

Very rarely do you see guards flip. Defensively, most teams move their players around so much now that it's hard to answer.

Koskinator posted:

Is there any significant difference to playing blind side tackle/guard for a lefty compared to a righty?

Not intrinsically. Some guys are significantly better at one side because it's their dominant side or they can't mirror the footwork effectively or something like that. You can generally hide a blind side blocker's deficiencies in pass blocking a bit more, although that's less true than it used to be, but it doesn't matter whether the blind side is the left or right per se.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

And was the officiating at the Jets/Chargers game as crappy as I thought it was?

It was on the overly flag happy side of bad, but it wasn't a complete game-changing disaster or anything. A lot of it was procedural penalties anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bashez posted:

I don't think this is true at all, the blind side blocker is the most important because he's blocking the guy that the Quarterback cannot see. Those are the ones most responsible for strip sacks, fumbles, and injuries.

I was talking playing LT for a righty QB vs. playing RT for a lefty quarterback, which are both blind side tackle spots, as the original questioner asked.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bashez posted:

I understand, I'm saying that you can't hide a blind side tackle's mistakes because the quarterback cannot directly see him. Mistakes on that end are magnified because of turnovers.

Sure you can, among other things you can give the guy extra help or come out of the gun so your quarterback isn't taking a blind drop. The tackle is only on an island if you put him there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

Yeah saying that the LT position isn't important is just wrong.

Who's saying that? It's a plenty important position. So is the arm side tackle, though. It's not as important, and the skills are ever so slightly different, but it's pretty close on both accounts.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bashez posted:

This just isn't true. The blind side tackle is supposed to be your best pass blocker.

And again, we're talking past each other. You're talking "hide" as in turnovers, I'm talking "hide" as in things teams do schematically to help a mediocre or bad player (or a good player against DeMarcus Ware). Unless you're facing a team that does a ton of stunting or a team that has multiple high level edge rushers, most of the time you're getting a pretty standard edge rush from the other team's best pass rush guy on the blind side, which is not as hard as you'd think to scheme against if you're willing to commit to it. Joe Gibbs figured that out about thirty years ago, actually. Because there's more overload blitzing and generally more of those guys floating around, that's becoming less true by the season, though.

I do think most fans, and perhaps even teams, underestimate the impact of having a turnstile at any line position as opposed to the designated star position. Pass blocking is really a unit thing and not an individual player thing.

eta: Also just for the record, of course the left tackle is usually the best pass blocker. That's not 100% always true - there's definitely guys that can't flip the mechanics or have a dominant side or something like that - but in a vacuum if you've got one guy that's a B+ and one guy that's a B- and they're roughly the same on both sides, the B+ plays the left and the B- plays the right.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 31, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

McKracken posted:

Wasn't this because he needed a way to stop LT from ruining his QB's.

Yep.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Kibner posted:

I don't follow the advanced stats that much. They are a constantly changing and evolving field in football, though. DVOA (Defence value above replacement) is a pretty popular one, I believe. If you want to help contribute, it is definitely an open field. It might also be fun for you to take a look at some of the "Moon Polls" in this forum. They are attempts at ranking teams using just the stats for the current season.

However, there is still one simple stat (that isn't directly related to score) that most correlates to a win: turnovers.

It's interesting you say that, because past turnovers don't really correlate to future turnovers since there's so much luck involved. So except in really broad strokes, turnovers don't have good predictive value at all.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

Specific to the NFL, wouldn't that also screw around with the rules regarding #2 and emergency #3 QBs?

The emergency third quarterback rule doesn't exist as of this year. You can't have your backup quarterback on the field at the same time as your starting quarterback if they both are using radio helmets, but you don't have to have a radio helmet in the game if you don't want to.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Newton still has horrible mechanics, he's just able to use his physical talent (and a well designed offense) to overcome them. He's fun to watch, though!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sc0tty posted:

What are the rules for setting the ball after a tackle?

E.g. If caught in a standing tackle and get pushed back 5 yards from where you start, do you set the ball at the furthest point you made it to, or do you set it where you finished up? What about receiving? Touchdowns?

This is a rule known as "forward progress," the ball is placed at the furthest point forward where you had control of the ball, unless you voluntarily run backwards.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sc0tty posted:

I've heard in some of the threads protections that are placed on the quarterback on how/where you an tackle them. What exactly are these rules, and how are they set up to prevent the Texans from playing Arian Foster at QB and just running every play and taking advantage of these protections?

The quarterback cannot be hit in the head area, at the knees, or by the defender's helmet while behind the line of scrimmage as a passer. Once he becomes a runner, normal running rules apply because he's a runner. Foster wouldn't get any protection unless he drops back to pass.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

JPrime posted:

Dunno if it's been explained here previously, but what is a franchise tag?

Each team can designate one of their free agents at the end of the season as a franchise player by offering him a guaranteed contract at the average of the top ten salaries at his position, or 120 percent of the player's previous year salary, whichever is greater. The franchise player becomes a form of a restricted free agent, and any team signing another team's franchise player must surrender their next two first round draft picks.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Incoherence posted:

Are the injury reports (probable/questionable/doubtful) a product of the teams, or a product of media reports? If the former, is there some incentive for a team to be accurate, or indeed to bother filing it at all?

Teams, and the league sanctions them if they falsify the reports. Large fines, loss of draft choices, etc.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Tr0000000000000000 posted:

Nobody but me seemed surprised about it, so I assume there must be a well known explanation.

The short version is that the Lions came onto the field and started doing post-game handshakes and such so the referees wound the clock. Informal concession.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

McKracken posted:

There are also teams (most if not all of them), like what Ham said, who will have a backup or assistant coach or QC/GA guy look at the defensive backfield on passing plays to get a look at coverages and alignments, but typically the literal clipboard contains drive charting info.

Slight addendum: usually the guy doing this is in the booth since it's much easier to see up there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Fiction posted:

Alright, so people on TFF seem to have a really good grasp of almost everything involved in the sport. Where does this information come from? Do people have sites that they read that have a lot of good information or does it just come from watching football for a long time?

Little bit of both, and we have more than a couple people around who played or coached or both for awhile too which always helps. I have a list of educational sites at home, but by far the best one is Smart Football, which has great breakdowns and video instructional stuff with an archive going back for years.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

At the pro level, Tebow is merely above average in athleticism, and doesn't have the pull to get a team to rebuild itself around his abilities (since using his abilities will likely result in a short pro career). So he has to be fitted into the mold of a generic pro quarterback, and he doesn't fit very well.

Don't think this part is entirely true. It's not difficult at all for a team using a zone running attack to convert to a zone read based spread option (or from a spread option back to a conventional offense with a zone run game), and the personnel isn't very different. Hell, I think the Broncos pulled it off in two weeks.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

But what happens when Ray Lewis blows him up and you are not only out your starting QB, but also a huge part of your payroll? Yes you can install option offenses in the NFL, but owners and GM's don't like it since it exposes their QB and thus their most expensive/valuable player to a shitload of more hits then sitting in the pockets.

Tim Tebow is about the twentieth highest paid player on the Jets all things considered (and I'd imagine was similarly situated on the Broncos), under contract for three more years at a little under $6m total.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

astr0man posted:

This isn't exactly a rookie question, but I'm asking it here anyways since I don't think it warrants it's own thread.

Do any of you know what kind of tools are available for NCAA coaches to use regarding tape? I know tape watching is a huge part of gameplanning and coaching, but I'm just curious as to where the tape for opponents games comes from, and how they go about analyzing it. Like is there just some intern/graduate assistant who's job is to just write down "watch the play at 10:49 in this video" and passes that along to the relevant coaches?

I'm also assuming that in the NFL everyone gets the same tape, based on the fact that the NFL is selling some of that All-22 stuff to fans this year.

Exchange of game tape is regulated by conference and/or mutual assent in the regular season and by rule in the postseason. Exchanging three games is typical, although at the BCS conference level it's not hard to supplement that with games you acquired via television broadcast, and there is certainly trading above and beyond that going on between friendly coaches. Film can be exchanged by mail, handoff, or dead drops (this process often resembles a drug deal). Usually you'll get the initial two games about two weeks ahead of time and the last game the day after it's played.

At the college level, most to all schools are digitizing their tape and marking it up using video editing suites that exist specifically to do football film and scouting work. There are a bunch of these products out there now and they're pretty much idiot proof. They generally serve two purposes: to create detailed scouting reports with video and to be able to create checkerboard or cutup tapes that show all plays for a given side of the ball, that can then be organized even further into all run plays out of a certain formation or whatnot. Back in the dark ages this had to be done with daisy chained VCRs, it took a lot longer, and you didn't have the flexibility to create tapes past general offense, defense, and special teams.

As for who is doing the work, there's obviously grunt work involved with the process itself, which would be a grad assistant or video coordinator or someone along those lines marking the beginning and end of every play, matching it with the play by play, and maybe adding in formations and play descriptions. After that the coordinators and position coaches will review the entirety of the film from their side of the ball; you've cut those three games down into something like a 40 minute tape for offense, a 40 minute tape for defense, and a 15 minute tape for specials, so suffice it to say that whole tape is being watched about six or eight times by six or eight people on the first game prep day alone.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Sure it can. What they're terrified of (especially with instant replay hanging over them) is only running a 1.5 second kneeldown and leaving time on the clock.

Most teams in this case either launch the ball on an intentionally overthrown go route or snap it to their punter and have him run around and take a knee when the clock runs out.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

What is Alabama's 'star' DB position, what do they do? Just wondering because the Chiefs have drafted the last two, Menzie and Arenas.

Fancy name for nickel corner.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

A few years ago the Cowboys lost a game on a botched snap on a FG attempt that Romo blamed on the ball. They use new balls that are takier for kicking to help out the holders because of this.

Nah that's not it. Kickers were doctoring balls for competitive advantages so they now have the league control the kicking balls. Happened in the late-90s when Romo was in high school.

Quarterbacks are often extremely anal about breaking in balls their own specific way based on their hand placement. From his comments I suspect Rodgers is one of them and throwing with an unfamiliar ball was a problem for him.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It's more difficult. Players experiment with it in practice all the time, and Doug Flutie even did it in a game a few years ago.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Something that lets coaches track more about each play than just run/pass and yards gained, so they have data to look at when making adjustments at halftime.

Pen and paper is the most effective way while the game is going on. The clipboard holders, which are typically both a reserve quarterback and a few coaches, record all of that information and refer to it during the game.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Thoguh posted:

With tablets becoming so commonplace maybe you could be on the cutting edge of something new.

Those kind of apps definitely exist, but use of them during games is mostly banned at all levels.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Pungry posted:

So I was watching the Seahawks blow another game they should've won today, and the play I want to talk about was the roughing the passer penalty that Earl Thomas got when Bobby Wagner picked off a Tannehill pass in the end zone that would've ended a game-tying drive. Why exactly was Thomas called for this penalty? I thought that the main thing they were cracking on was helmet-to-helmet hits, and Thomas didn't hit Tannehill with his helmet at all. All it looked like was a bit of arm contact up high. What are the rules on roughing the passer penalties?

Roughing the passer includes any blows to the passer's head or neck from any part of the defender, and it's a specific point of emphasis over the past couple of years so any hit that goes high is going to be an easy penalty.

quote:

HITS TO PASSER’S HEAD AND USE OF HELMET AND FACEMASK
(3) In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary-roughness rules covering these subjects). A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture for example, (a) forcibly hitting the passer’s head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him, or (b) lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body. This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or non-crown parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Pungry posted:

Alright. It just seemed that Thomas tried his hardest to soften the blow and avoid it, but oh well. Seahawks choked away the game by their own accord anyway.

Thomas left his feet and waylaid Tannehill high and late. It was a routine, correct call and I hate the Dolphins more than any team in the league.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Defensive players are coached not to leave their feet coming in at protected players because it becomes impossible to control your body enough to easily avoid an illegal hit once you do so. It used to be that you only had to worry about that for late hits on punters and quarterbacks, but it's considerably more important to stay on your feet now given the upgrades in protection on quarterbacks and receivers.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dey Yah posted:

I read a book once that was written by a reporter who hung out with the Chicago Bulls throughout the course of a season. He went to all their games and practices and traveled with them and did little impromptu interviews with benchwarmer guys, etc. Does anyone know of any similar books about NFL football? Just kind of an in-depth look at one team going through one season?

Stefan Fatsis wrote A Few Seconds of Panic about the Broncos a few seasons back which is kind of close to where you're going.

There's a very good (and topical) book of exactly this nature by SI writer Austin Murphy about St. John's football and John Gagliardi called The Sweet Season as well.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

If a receiver makes a catch, but goes out of bounds before making the completion, does that count as an incompletion for the QB? It can't be a completion, right? Or does it count for the sake of the QB's stats, even though the catch doesn't count on the field?

Incomplete pass for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

How much non-video data do defensive coordinators have available during the season? What kind of things do they use to predict which route a receiver will run on a given play, how deep they'll break, how frequently they're targeted on a given play/when running that route? How much of this detailed information is available to them, where does it come from, and most importantly how deep do they go into analysis? I'm assuming it's mostly video based and they go by those screenshots you see in binders, but was curious as to how extensively numerical analysis comes into play.

As much as they want, pending the sleep needs of their QCs. Generally you can reverse engineer an opponent's playbook pretty well from a couple games of video for all of this stuff, although obviously you don't have their terminology.

Good coaches are able to figure out tells for what the other team will do when. Better coaches are able to self-scout their own tells and act accordingly.

• Locked thread