Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

I guess category 7 is

7. The Cleveland Browns:

God help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Doppelganger posted:

WTF I thought I had them as underdogs!

I'm such a failure at listmaking :smith:

It's understandable that you don't want to condemn others to a lifetime of depression, it's ok.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Here's a question specific to crm or HooverFan if he's around or fiz if he actually lived in Charlotte: Is it weird to have a "Carolina" team? I can't imagine having some kind of Ohio-Indiana or Ohio-West Virginia team or something. Actually I can't even imagine having just an Ohio team, which I think is what the Columbus Blue Jackets are going for, but anyway...is it just kind of a different way of thinking, that North Carolina and South Carolina people just don't care much?

I guess the basic question I'm asking is, aren't there separate identities for the two states? Is there a gap, and if so, why do several sports teams try to bridge the gap?

I live in NC and have for most of my life so I'll try to answer your question even though the Panthers aren't my primary team. Maybe someone else can do it better.

The two states definitely have separate identities, both culturally and in terms of sports fandom. NC is larger, much more liberal, and generally more "urban" than SC. We're a tech and banking capital. We're proud of our strong universities and we have lots of clean, livable cities. SC is more rural and conservative. Outside of Charleston/Columbia I don't really know much about SC except that they don't like black people too much there, it's really hot, there are giant loving cockroaches and you have to buy alcohol in little airplane bottles, even at bars. There is somewhat of a rivalry between natives of the two states, with NCers looking down on SC residents as backwater rednecks and SCers having the perception that NC is full of a bunch of carpetbagging milquetoast liberal Yankees. Neither side is entirely incorrect.

As far as sports go, most people in NC are far more rabid about college basketball (Duke, UNC, NCSU even though they're horrible right now), whereas SC natives love college football (Clemson, USC, etc.) Pro sports come a distant second, but people do love the Panthers, and the Canes are HUGE in Raleigh.

Despite this, it doesn't feel weird for me at all to have a combined Carolina team. When I think of the Panthers, I think of them as a North Carolina team strictly, and that people from SC enjoy the team as well due to proximity. It's kind of like how people call UNC "Carolina", or how we have colleges like East Carolina and Western Carolina even though they recruit primarily from NC only. When people say "Carolina" they're usually referring to NC by default. I don't think it really crosses people's minds much here that the team also represents SC. I guess sports teams just go with "Carolina" instead of "North Carolina" because it's easier to say, and helps get them a few fans in SC as well.

• Locked thread