Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
USAfootball.com has some good information about football fundamentals.

Also I wish I could recommend the Bills to some of you guys but they probably are going to be bad again this year and have added sadness and misery to my life.

However like the Browns/Lions they have a good fanbase and are the quintessential underdogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Blackula69 posted:

Probably going to be bad? They have no starting QB or LT, and their defense is a shambles. Their only good player is their rookie RB. Their coach sucks and is old. The Bills are going to get slaughtered.

They said the same thing about The California Atoms and the Little Giants.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Specifically Dallas and New England should be put in the Villain category because most of the country wants to see them collapse and probably more than any of the other teams you have listed. Dallas for their insufferable fans and piles of money and New England for their perceived smugness.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

texaholic posted:

You are right but I believe they both teams very capable of winning the super bowl this year. I guess I could have them in both categories.

The thing with Villains in football is that the ones you really hate are the ones that are a threat.

Technically the Washington Generals are "villains" but after awhile you feel sorry for them like holy gently caress these guys suck and they have to go home to their SO and explain why they lost by 100 points and can't please them ever.

Things have gotten so hosed that the Raiders are starting to be looked at with a sympathetic light. I mean they were bad but who deserved loving Jamarcus Russell? People who used to fear Al Davis now feel sorry for him for being so senile. And then the teams can get turned into villains instantly.

The Vikings for getting Favre.
The Jets for Rex Ryan's abrasiveness
The Broncos for getting rid of all their players and getting Tebow.
And the Eagles for getting rid of McNabb.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 30, 2010

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

texaholic posted:

My rankings of the NFL divisions based on the rivalry factor:

1. NFC East
2. AFC East

smaller gap

3. NFC North
4. AFC West
5. AFC North

huge gap

6. NFC south
7. AFC south
8. NFC west

Even though it's horseshit now, the AFCW has had some classic rivalries back in the day.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Rathen posted:

Why are the divisional playoffs called that? Is it because the division winners play?

It's because the Elite 8 was already taken.

The real reason is because the marquee teams (the #1 and #2 seeds in both the AFC/NFC who are automatically division winners) play this week after spending the week off admiring how swell they are.

It can be a division winner matchup only if the #3 and #4 seeds survive against the wildcards.

Usually at least one wildcard will bring down a division winner(usually the #4 seed which is in a weaker division will fall to the 2nd best team in a really good division)

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

deep square leg posted:

In the NFL it seems conceivable, even likely, that a couple of divisions could share the best teams in the league. Isn't that the point of having wildcards?

I follow the Packers from afar so I'm probably confused as well as biased :ohdear:

It is the point of the wildcards in general,but there have been plenty of times where all of the division winners had better records than the wildcards. This year was sort of special in how good the wildcards were and how bad some of the 3 and 4 seeds were. Because of this there was sort of an elevation of the wildcard teams and a backlash against the division winners since the division winners got to host the game despite having a weaker record.

With Seattle being 7-9 and still making the playoffs there was more controversy about this than there usually is. The last time that it was like this was when San Diego made the playoffs by winning their division and New England didn't make the playoffs with a much better record.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

terrin posted:

I don't consider myself a strategy guru or anything but it's really hard to do much live on TV. It's the great aspect of watching football live because you can focus on one receiver/lineman/corner/safety without the camera sitting on the QB. My favorite to watch is defensive linemen because it's easier to make assessment without having to watch the play again.

yeah watching it live gives you more of an a appreciation for where "holes" the running backs run through actually are. Watching tv it looks like the running backs are just running "through" the defensive line when in reality it's more wide open.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

quote:

but I knew full well the user my post was addressed to would understand me and frankly that's all I was concerned with given that I was referring to a hall of fame player active during many of our lifetimes.

See that's the problem.

On this page alone there is:
LT- Left Tackle
LT- Lawrence Taylor
LT- Ladainian Tomlinson

It IS loving confusing especially for someone trying to learn about the game.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

KettleWL posted:

Not to further this thread into Tebowville as all the other ones are: But as an impartial observer to the AFC West otherwise, and to the Broncos especially, Tim Tebow rules because he helped open a hospital in the Philippines and talked about doing so after a TNF game where everyone was praising him. I don't really care that he did it after he talked about how sexy he thinks christ is for 5 minutes, I just care that he seems to be a genuinely good person who actually lives by the tenants of the faith he preaches so earnestly. Plus it's hilarious.

What amazed me is that Tebow had tons of scorching hot Florida women who were after him, and not only has nothing ever came out sexually about him, he actually openly admits he's a virgin and is saving himself for marriage.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Does anybody know why teams normally play their starters more in the 3rd preseason game, besides just tradition?

They call it the "dress rehearsal" game and tend to install or at least try some packages they will use in the regular season. The 4th game is usually a dud because it is team's last chance to evaluate the roster before they begin final cuts.

The third game's placement within the preseason is the main reason. the first two games the rookies aren't going to be up to speed, they want to do more basic packages to ease them into playing football again.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

shyguy posted:

What are the basic differences between offsides, neutral zone infractions and encroachment? I've been watching football for years and understand what it is to go offsides and all, but I'm not keen enough to differentiate the three.

There is one called "unabated to the quarterback", and "delay of game on the defense" as well.

My understanding is neutral zone infraction is extremely close to if not identical to offsides and it's if a defensive player is lined up in such a way that he is standing over where the ball is snapped, or if a dlineman jumped past the neutral zoned and doesn't get back before the ball is snapped. Blitzing linebackers also do this when they improperly react to the snap count and over commit across the line.

Delay of Game on the Defense is if they jerk or make a move intended to draw the other team into committing a false start.

Unabated to the quarterback is if a player charges across the line and is aiming for the quarterback before the ball is snapped sort of if the blitzing linebacker mentioned before keeps going instead of stopping.

Finally Encroachment is when a defensive player makes actual physical contact with an offensive player before the ball is snapped.

If you want to try these out in simulation if you play madden if you run all the way across the line of scrimmage and stand below the quarterback, when the ball is snapped you'll get an offsides penalty but if you touch another player on the way the you get immediately flagged for encroachment.

Edit: another main difference is I'm pretty sure encroachment,unabated, and delay blows the play dead immediately, and offsides results in the "free play" where the quarterback can risk throwing a deep ball that gets intercepted because the offsides will always result in the 5 yard penalty.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 10, 2012

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

Rob Johnson was the original starter and Flutie came in to replace him; Flutie proceeded to win a lot of games (in 1998). Next season (1999) was an open competition, and Flutie won, but Rob Johnson looked really good against a lovely Colts defense when Flutie was resting, so Wade Phillips decided to start him in the playoffs.

The moral of this story is that Wade Phillips is a defensive coach.

Yes. Good summary. That doomed Phillips because not only was it an extremely stupid move from a football perspective, it was horrible on the fanbase who LOVED Flutie.
Rob Jonhson was a physical specimen with an absolutely incredible lack of pocket awareness. Flutie in many ways was the exact opposite. He brought so plays back from the absolute death, and was even more enjoyable to watch than Kelly.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

College game has not only tradition, but also pageantry to it. College is a much more emotional game with admittedly even more passionate fans as a whole.

Another thing to realize is that college football is a very regionally powered game.
States like Oklahoma, Alabama, Idaho, Nebraska etc. don't have an NFL teams. Sure they might root for the Cowboys or some other team but it's not personal to them like a Boise State is.

The NFL's strength is besides the meteoric gap in the talent level of all players, is that it is a much more strategically complex game that is run much better.

An NFL team has to worry about salary cap, roster limits, salary/contract negotiations, and business operations that a college program does not at least to the same level.
Although their are fewer types of offenses and defenses they are so much more complex and in college you can get away with fun and unique styles that you realize in the NFL will get your skill position players injured and possibly killed.

You also have to identify players from all of the colleges in the country to replenish talent with new blood. College does this with High Schools but the stakes are so much higher in the NFL.

Finally the NFL's greatest strength is that the NCAA does not run it!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Very solid choice in the Bears.
Traditional football power hallmarked by an ever physical defense.

Now is perhaps an even a more enjoyable time to be a Bears fan because they are going through an Offensive Renaissance (well for the Bears that is)

The more you read about the Bears you will discover that only recently did the Bears bother to field an actual offense, maintaining that an empty jar of honey and another defensive tackle could be used as a quarterback and running back respectively.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Ask any non-fan to name famous NFL teams, and you are almost guaranteed to get the Bears, Packers, Vikings, and Lions in their answers.

Agree with the first two but I'd say you'd get Giants, Cowboys, and Steelers before Vikings and Lions.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

No doubt, but I would still say the Vikings and Lions have to be in the top ten of identifiable teams.

This is the part where someone shows me some stat that says I am wrong and makes fun of me huh :ohdear:

It's all good. There is probably a debate somewhere about whether the most "quintessential" football division is the NFC East or NFC North but who cares lol

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Noah posted:

What happens if a punt is blocked through the back of the end zone? For instance, a kicker kicking in his own endzone, it gets blocked and shoots back through the back. Touchback? Safety?

Good question I'm almost sure it is a Safety. Years ago in the Browns abomination game Moorman had a punt blocked and it landed in the middle of the endzone. To prevent a recovered TD Moorman kicked it out of bounds for the Safety

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Sash! posted:

The safety is my favorite type of scoring. I've seen something like six in person.

The safety caused by the defense collapsing the pocket or running lanes and driving the QB or RB into his own endzone is as beautiful as it is brutal.
It looks so pleasing to the eye and is a moment of absolute vindication for a defense. Even more than a pick six or a sack.

Many will say that a safety isn't worth only two points. But they don't realize that the most lasting damage can be psychological.

The fact that 2 is crooked is all the better. If an NFL team scores 4 points and doesn't lose that should send a chill up your spine.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

I originally was going to posit that all safeties were badass and then I remembered that poo poo, and stuff like holding in the endzone and had to rewrite the whole thing XD.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Vando posted:

I'm 6' 1" 180lb, and I think that's about average for the team. Don't know about the league, but probably a bit below average for the division given all the other teams are from much bigger cities so the local talent pool is larger.

I think some of the Goalie skills would translate well into the Free Safety position.
Especially if you started by playing "centerfield"

In essence your goal is the same in that you are the last line of defense, and you can't allow anything to go past you.

Playing in the middle allows you to react to the ball and see the field much better.
Being able to see the field better helps you to learn how receiver run routes and the techniques that are used to defend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Vando posted:

Welcome to bottom division football in Britain guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwoIU5F0rJQ

The speech at 1:44 was downright inspiring

"We are the offensive line! We win today! If we stand watch they will beat us, make no bones about it. We must attack them!"

The delivery was spectacular.

Football seriously rules sometimes.

• Locked thread