Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I guess I should know this, but what does "N/V" mean in the thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

spankweasel posted:

Why do NFL teams not experiment with 2 QBs / 1 RB backfields?

Before I am mocked endlessly (even though I expect it), let me explain.

Say you have a backfield with: Vick, Kolb and McCoy in a parallel line to the offensive line:

code:

T G C G T

V K Mc

The sheer number of snap possibilities from this has to be worth something, no?

- Direct snap to McCoy (running right or off-tackle)
- Direct snap to Vick (running left)
- Direct snap to Vick (passing)
- Direct snap to Kolb with all the normal options available

It's sort of like a wildcat set, but instead of 2 or 3 RBs, it's 2 QBs, either of which can throw the ball, or it's 2 RBs (Vick as a RB) that can run the ball.

I'm not even getting started with WRs or TEs.

I understand that raw speed from somebody like Jaren Allen or Dwight Freeny or any of the other marquee DEs would cause problems for a formation like this, but tell me why this won't work?

The skillset of a qb and a RB are different. And running the ball is loving dangerous. All the rules about protecting qbs is because they are delicate flowers that take up a bunch of payroll.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I like to think of the patch as their rating out of four stars.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

1) There's a huge class / race spread between niners and raiders fans. I've had people say to me, "How are you a Raider fan? You're white!" At Candlestick, I've been (almost) kicked out for... cheering too loudly. The non-white raider fan I was high fiving a row below me WAS kicked out.

2) Both stadiums kind of suck. Getting to Candlestick sucks, getting to the coliseum is easier, especially on bart.

3) Niner tailgates run the gamut from brie and wine to ghetto as gently caress. Raider tailgates are more uniformly ghetto as gently caress. BUT, if you're wearing a jersey, and especially if you smoke weed, you'll be welcome at most any tailgate.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Lessail posted:

Have there been any good books about football strategy and concepts for beginners/novices that has been released since the thread started? I'm looking for something to take my knowledge a bit further and reading TFF this past season has helped tremendously with that. I tried to read smartfootball.com but there was a lot of namedrops that made it difficult to find a starting point and work from there.

I think the best way for a novice to pick up these ideas is to play madden, honestly. They diagram and name the plays and you can see how the plays...play out.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Lessail posted:

I don't have access to any of the Maddens on PS3/360. I do have a copy of NFL 2k3 and potentially access to any of the Wii Maddens, if that helps anything.

Doesn't need to be a new copy for this purpose. Pick up one that's a couple years old from gamestop for $10.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

oddIXIbbo posted:

Some folks I previously worked with were able to leave astrophysics and start their own business when they started applying some of the statistical analysis tools to football statistics. Things like how often quarterback 'w' on team 'x' throws to the left side when faced with defense alignment 'y' with 'z' minutes left in the half.

Once entered, they run modeling programs and Monte Carlo simulations to predict risk and potential outcomes.

I haven't spoken with them in a while but I've heard they are communicating with teams at every level..

That sounds really cool, but football resists these sort of sabermetric efforts because there are so many more moving pieces than baseball. In baseball it is essentially the same play repeated over 2000 games over a 100 years of record. That's a lot of data. In football, you may only have 30 pass attempts in a game, and to different receivers with different coverages in different yardage situations. There are just too many variables with too few plays for this to make sense. It becomes a model of the simplfying assumptions instead of anything more illuminating.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What other people said, but next time you see a game live, sit in the end zones for a different perspective. Its much easier to see the run game and the blocking schemes from that view than from the sides or TV.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Start at the ground floor. Be a Raider fan.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SteelAngel2000 posted:

ground floor isn't a team with multiple superbowl championships hth

It's this and the hate fire of charger fans that has kept me warm during the long night that has been this past decade.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't get that they just now? Told the niners no weeknight games until they study traffic. Isn't that like step 1 or 2 of the planning process?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I will enjoy t

rjmccall posted:

Some of us tech-company people with more money than sense live in the city!

I fully expect them to not really think about the Caltrain problem until halfway through the season.

Shuttle from the Lawrence station? The actual Santa Clara stop is not close at all.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I like the concept of fantasy, but I would never put myself in a position where I would be rooting for the pats or the broncos for the sake of my fantasy team.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can someone explain the different punt formations, specifically the difference between college and nfl formations? I'm college it seems pretty common to have two or three extra blockers in front of the punter, not do much in the nfl. Is the o line just better in the nfl? Why the extra protection for the punter?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ok it's 4th and 10. A pass is thrown and caught short of the first down marker. The receiver fumbles, then defense picks it up and runs it a little, then fumbles, the original offense recovers. It's short of the first down. So is it a first down or does the offense turn it over on downs?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm legally required to post this as a term of my parole

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TreFitty posted:

My wife wants to watch a football game with me - specifically the Seahawks tomorrow. Her co-workers know all about the game, the team, etc. and wear Seahawks things on Fridays. I know next to nothing about football beyond most of the rules (as I played it a ton as a kid). We want to watch live, but that seems to require cable tv, which we don't have. Is there anything I can use with an apple tv and iPad combo to make this happen? It looks like even the NFL doesn't want this to work even if you pay them. Any search terms you can suggest or specific sites or whatever? I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not...

edit: please don't suggest going out. We have an infant and no desire to be out even if that were not the case. Thanks!

edit2: Looks like the game is on NBC - does that help me in any way?

Probably the easiest way is to get a digital antenna for your tv. There's a lot of good tv still being broadcast over the air. And if the game is on a national network, its likely to be there. Picture is really good too.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zoran posted:

I don't understand why you're not allowed to go for two from the 15.

You're allowed, right? Holder flub the ball and runs it in? Choosing to run a set play from the 15 when you could do it from the 2 is just too dumb to even have a rule against it..

From the previous post though, if the offense is set up at the 15 to kick and the defense gets called for a penalty, do they get the choice at the point to take the half the distance penalty from the 2 to the 1 and go for the conversion? Or are they locked into the kick attempt?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Miloshe posted:

Thanks for the quick responses Swick and Trin Trag. So should a player trip on the tee and does an RG3 impression it's ultimately the ref's gently caress up.

I don't follow college ball at all but I want to meet this noble beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGHTJC1qxpA

That makes me so drat happy I can almost ignore how ugly the blue turf is.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I got volunteered to coach my kids flag football team. I have no idea what I'm doing. One of the other coaches in our division is the 20yr tenure high school football coach.

How the hell do I run the ball in a zero contact league?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

El Seano posted:

I would love to read a thread where goons come up with the playbook for that touch football team.

I made a thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761210

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ross Angeles posted:

subject yourself to baseball.

How are those communist party meetings going mr unamerican?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Spoeank posted:

AT&T Park :swoon: :swoon:

Those are awful strange emoticons for freezing your rear end off.

Also, I really like the idea of using baseball fields to host football games.

I think the pendulum will start to swing the other way once cities realize how much money they're wasting on stadiums and try again to use the same facility for both. The angles are weird when you build for the infield, but it can be done.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chichevache posted:

If your team is so good they should have won their division. Clearly they're not if they didn't.

The Raiders went 6-0 in their division and 2-8 outside their division. Should they have won a playoff spot?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

The rule that on a miss, the opponents get the ball at the spot of the kick has a big impact on this decision.

Is it spot of the kick? Not previous line of scrimmage?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

OperaMouse posted:

When discussing defenses being gassed later in the game, why do commentators focus on time of possession instead of snap count?

Having not played myself I wondered how the defense was so much more tired for a given amount of play time than the offense.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Chasing people and reacting to their motions is more tiring than running a route or blocking assignment

I'm trying to see that.. maybe. But that would mean o line work would be harder than d line. I see corners running with their man but in zones the DBs seem to sit back more then go 100%.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

I'm guessing there have been problems with teams deliberately "fumbling" the ball forward as time is running out to extend the play and avoid being tackled.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller_(American_football)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

Kind of a silly question, but say LB sacks QB and causes a fumble. QB recovers the fumble and gets back up to throw and the same LB tackles him again behind the line. Does the LB get credit for two sacks in one play?

iirc, a sack is a tackle. So if the QB fumbled before being down by the LB, it's not a sack. Although, if the fumble is recovered by the defense, the LB is awarded a sack.

• Locked thread