Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

Those formation posts were pretty sweet. I knew some of that, but I've never really been too big into exploring playbooks.

Here's a question for you guys: what the hell does the prevent defense do, besides "preventing the team from winning"? Like, why do many coaches seem to use it when it feels like they always get burned by it in the process? And, for that matter, why is it so easy to beat?

Most of the time you hear 'prevent defense prevents a team from winning', the team isn't actually in a real prevent. A real prevent is like when the Patriots put 2 defensive linemen in and 9 defensive backs, one of whom is Randy Moss, and they sit 30-50 yards back at the very end of the half to prevent any sort of Hail Mary. Most commonly, what's mistakenly referred to as a 'prevent' defense is soft coverage, where defensive backs don't take risks and are supposed to always keep receivers in front of them. This lets them make catches but limits the gain, hopefully keeping the receivers in bounds and the clock moving.

You hear about the failures of this but much less about how well it often works. For example, in the 2004 Super Bowl against the Eagles, were utilizing a depleted secondary against an Eagles passing attack that featured Terrell Owens. Randall Gay lined up against Owens for most of the night; Owens caught a dozen balls, but no one really remembers that because they didn't go for big yardage as Gay kept him in front of him and prevented a run after the catch. They knew Gay would get burned if he tried to play Owens tight. That's the type of total 'prevent' defense teams utilize in the waning minutes of games with a similar goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Actually I think Heyward-Bey was supposed to go behind him. Looks like Murphy got intimidated by the jamming corner and went too far inside too quickly. I think it was a bad route by Murphy (#18). It was as much a good play by the corners as anything, though.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Usually I agree with J64 but I'll just say that I was really upset when Kelley Washington didn't come back and he was probably the best special teamer I've ever seen playing for the Patriots, and that includes guys like Larry Whigham and Larry Izzo who used to make the Pro Bowl every year. He also didn't complain at all that he was almost never used on offense. That goodbye wave was sort of obnoxious but hey we really should have kept him.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Can someone who understands the salary cap/floor and other stuff from the CBA better than I do perhaps write something up on it? Maybe even talk about the rookie salary pool and slotting scale for the draft?

We don't really have a frame of reference right now because there isn't a CBA and the rookie salary pool and slotting scale may not even happen. I certainly think they will but we should probably hold off until a new CBA is signed. Soon, with any luck.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The option became famous long before Bear Bryant and the 70s. It was essentially the standard college offense for decades, just out of a variety of different formations. The Wing-T is basically just a variation on the same theme, using a wingback as an option instead of another running back. Princeton made the Wing-T famous in the 50s and 60s, and Dick Kazmeier won the Heisman in it. My father played wingback for Princeton when Hank Bjorklund was the star tailback there, though if I recall they switched to a more modern, two running back offense during his sophomore or junior year.

Today's Wildcat is basically a variation of the Wing-T, where the wingback gets a lot more play. In the original Wing-T, the wingback was mostly a blocker, coming on the jet option only rarely.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 21, 2010

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

I also read that the last thing anyone goes after in the fumble pile is something that is not your testicle, yet no one wears gear down there either.

Maybe it was just me, but I always wore a cup when playing football. I know the pros don't, but they're insane. I prefer my balls covered, but my main sport was hockey and if you don't wear a cup in hockey you'll probably be sterile after two or three games. Especially as a goalie. I never really noticed much inhibition of motion to tell the truth.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The H-Back is a fusion of the tight end and fullback position, so you essentially have a tight end who often lines up in the backfield as a fullback would and may motion up to the line; he also may line up at the line like a tight end and motion into the backfield. The Redskins (who invented it under Gibbs) still run an H-Back with Chris Cooley, though he's listed as a tight end. He rarely if ever runs the ball, his job is either to block or run routes. Motion allows a lot of flexibility (Gibbs invented it to counter Lawrence Taylor by always having an extra blocker on his side) and keeps the defense guessing.

It's important to note that the FB position has kind of evolved (and now is dying) in the last decade or so. Now the only guys listed as FBs are pretty much pure blockers, whereas in the past you saw guys like Larry Centers, Keith Byars, and Kevin Turner listed as FBs alongside guys like Lorenzo Neal, Sam Gash, et al. Nowadays the first type would all just be listed as RBs and called "third down backs."

Teams like the Patriots will use two RBs occasionally (say Woodhead and Green-Ellis; last year Morris was often used as an up-back) but none of them are fullbacks in the sense that their primary role is to be a blocking up-back. They do occasionally utilize their tight ends as H-Backs, having them motion into the backfield or out of the backfield and run routes or block.

But the FB position such as it is is dying. Some teams still like to use the big bruising lead back , but a majority of teams are going to a singleback system with sets where any up-backs are either multipurpose running backs, motioned tight ends (H-Backs), or (in goal-line/short-yardage situations) just a big huge dude (going back to the Patriots, they used guys like Dan Klecko, Richard Seymour, and Dan Connolly in this role).

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 6, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

They accomplish the same thing, it's just a different way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Which is..?

Keep your feet moving so you can react to pressure and move in the pocket then make a throw while allowing you to look around the field.

• Locked thread