Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Arschlochkind posted:

I'm biased as a Texans fan, but this is true. The Texans are perfect at the moment because nobody will accuse you of being a bandwagon fan and the team is slowly but surely on it's way up. You were already in Texas, sc0tty, just pretend the Cowboys gear was a mistake.

I agree. As my avatar suggests, I'm a Steelers fan but my #2's at the moment are Houston and Carolina. Both are good options to get on board with now if you dont wanna look like a bandwagon fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I vote for The Daily Show due to his ability to put on a show while playing football plus his name is Adrian Peterson.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Zorkon posted:

Is that a more prestigious conference? All I know about Boise State was from watching Out of the Blue by accident once.

Its more prestigious, but not by a whole lot. Had Utah stayed, they would have had a good shot at being an autobid conference, but prolly not without them.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I dont get the Broncos as villains. I mean McDaniels is a weenie, but I dont see how a team hilariously self-destructing can really be considered villainous. A villain needs to be scary. Which is why the cowboys/patriots/steelers are villains.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I honestly and unironically believe that Drew Brees was robbed of two MVP awards.

I believe this too. I was talking up Brees and saying that he was a top 3 QB for years and people were just like "lol the guy who's like 3 feet tall and got replaced by Rivers" and I just always said "YEAH HE loving RULES SHUTUP".

I felt pretty :smug: after the SB, but by that time pretty much everyone was saying that Brees was one of the best in the league. I still claim to be OG Brees though.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

This was already posted, but I dont know if you saw it. It does a good job of explaining the concept and the formation, as run by the Dolphins.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/jets-at-dolphins-how-the-wildcat-works/

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Crunkjuice posted:

Stupid question, but how much has football changed in the past 30 years or so? I've only really paid attention the last 3-4 years, but i when i see old school clips of even the 90's, the game feels off to me. Maybe i need to sit down and watch an older game in full. Maybe its the new style gear, but it seems nowadays players are stronger/faster/hit harder compared to even 10 years ago?

You know, I thought the same thing about old school football, about something feeling "off". And I also thought it was just players were just a bit slower than they are now or something like that. Then I read "The New Thinking Mans Guide to Professional Football". And if any one wants to learn about the technical side and evolution of the game, this is the book to read.

In the book, the author mentions some 40 yard dash time of players of the era (the book was written in the 80's) and he mentions many of the star athletes running sub 4.4 times which is the same as it is now. I'm thinking that the bigger, bulkier pads slow down the athletes game speed more than the newest high tech stuff (the 40 yard dash is measured without pads) but I think the other thing is just the picture quality. We are just so used to seeing things in HD that things just look outdated when seen through 70's and 80;s film tech.

As far as the evolution of the game from how its actually played, its changed a lot and stayed the same simultaneously. The pro game is featuring more and more passing, a trend that has existed since the forward pass was introduced in the game. People sometimes act like the increase in passing has been a thing that happened in the past 5 years or so, but it really isnt true. Its been increasing forever and has only been getting more effective, so we can expect the trend to continue.

This is due in part to the West Coast offense concept being popularized in the 80's. Literally every offense is a west coast offense now and uses the basic theories philosophy and concepts from it. In short a West Coast offense uses precise timing and short routes to complete safer, short range passes. If you look at QB's completion percentages over the past 30 years, they have increased steadily because of the WCO. While the theory used to be that run plays were for short gains and pass plays were for long gains, the WCO concept is that many short pass plays can be perfected to net the offense 5 yards 70%+ of the time, making these short passing plays as threatening as a run on short yardage situations.

Anyway, read The New Thinking Mans Guide.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 2, 2010

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Doppelganger posted:

At least in football they cheat like normal people. In wrestling, we were always wary of teams who were known for "oil checking" :gonk:

This took a second to sink in. Jesus Christ.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Random question. I was at a resteraunt working on a paper last night and my teams Left Tackle was talking with some NFL agent at the table next to me. At what point are players allowed to talk to agents? Are they permitted to talk to them any time after they get to college and just arent allowed to take money/gifts? Or are they not supposed to talk to them at all until after the season is over? At first thought it was pretty cool that he was there with agents and stuff, and then I couldnt remember what the rules about that were so maybe it wasnt so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

If they're just talking it's fine (even according to the NCAA).

The big no-no's are signing an agreement to be represented by the agent, taking benefits (in whatever form) from the agent or the agent's "runner's", or having the agent schedule workouts or gauge interest from a pro team.

The cynic in most of us think the interest thing at least (let alone all the other violations that could come to pass) happens all the time, although ostensibly what you saw was on the up and up.

From an NCAA page: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2010+news+stories/July+latest+news/Guidelines+for+agents

Yeah, after I thought about this for a bit I realized that I already knew that as long as they werent receiving benefits, players were allowed to talk to agents. Thanks for that link that, thats pretty cool and helpful.

• Locked thread