Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Do players wear/have the option of wearing any lower leg protection at all? I've seen a few tackles over the last few weeks have have essentially been stud-on-shin tackles, but there's been surprisingly few leg breaks (I'm comparing this to soccer, which sees at least one major leg break every season even with shin pads). I'm assuming the difference is that players aren't generally flying in at leg height for the ball, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

So what usually happens in pregame warmups for American Football players? I only ever see brief clips from Redzone and the like of QBs throwing some passes, and I don't think I ever made it to the stadium early enough when I was living in Florida...

To compare, in soccer both teams gets a half (with the away team closest to where their fans are), they'll run some sprinting drills, have some team passing drills, stretch etc. Generally warm up before the game. However, I appreciate this is because all 11 players will be on the field at the same time so want to make sure there's no muscle problems.

Do American Football teams have a similar thing? Do the offence/defence split up and run through things separately? I frequently hear about kickers practising long field goals - are they kicking towards their opponents?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

In a game what is the role of the various positional coaches? Is there a direct line of communication (e.g. Head Coach/OC decides on a play -> positional coaches give instructions), or is all that decided before hand in training and the coaches just make sure everything is working and give feedback between plays?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Thought of something earlier today while listening to some podcasts.

There's talk in both NFL and college sports of scripted plays. I.e. the first 15-20 offensive plays would be planned and practised in advance, and after that point the offensive coordinator will open up the play book.

How does this work in practice? Do they literally have "First down after kick off - run this play"? What if they're unsuccessful and the play is stopped short/intercepted? Also, does the offence not practice the other plays during the week (I guess they focus on the scripted ones in short weeks and do the rest in byes/preseason)?

• Locked thread