Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

dunkman posted:

I just moved to San Francisco from Dallas, and I was wondering if I should be a Raiders of a 49ers fan. I am originally from upstate New York, so I'm sort of a Bills fan, but not really.

I sort of like the black/white color combo the raiders have, but I live in SF so maybe I should be a 49ers fan. The last time I heard anything about either team was in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Any help?

That depends if you want to hang out with smug white guys or "ghetto" people of every other race. I live in the South Bay and it feels like it is pretty much split across race and or class lines down here.

All the Niners fans I know are so bombastic about their rings that it is intolerable. The Raiders fans are all just hoping to be relevant someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

davecrazy posted:

I don't get that. Not like the Niners have won anything recently, and the Raiders were last ones to play in a Superbowl. It's not like the Raiders don't have a championship tradition. They really walk around going '5 > 3 so lalalalla you suck'?

I have literally heard SF fans say exactly that. "I don't give a poo poo bout your scrub team because only the Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys have real dynasties like us. So gently caress you losers and your fag teams."

That was in reference to New England no less...

This is only anecdotal of course.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

drunk leprechaun posted:

Man I remember a few years back watching Hawaii drop all 4 of their linemen into coverage. I had to go back and rewatch the play like a million time giggling like a little school girl.

Hawaii is so much fun to watch. I just wish they could compete with the big schools.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Coaches tend to be old white men and no one drug tests them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ogmius815 posted:

There is a list somewhere in this thread of livestreams for NFL games. Can I get that posted again and maybe added to the OP? I really don't want to look through 40 pages for it.

Thefirstrow.eu

It will always be there. Save it to your browser and don't be lazy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ogmius815 posted:

Well to be fair my harddrive crashed and I lost my bookmarks.

Fair enough. I just feel like I've answered that question a dozen times in the last week.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
So during last nights Seahawks game after Russell Wilson came out of the game in the third quarter I saw him on the sidelines with both elbows wrapped entirely in ice. I've never seen that before so I wanted to make sure, that's standard protocol for a qb after the game, right? And if so, why was it both elbows and not just his throwing arm?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cole posted:

I could be totally wrong, but I believe tennis elbow is caused by inflammation and ice helps prevent that. Not sure why he would have to ice both though.

I realize ice baths are a regular thing, but seeing him do it during the game was odd. Maybe it is an old habit from baseball?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

You're off your rocker mon frere

Ignore him. Hes been drinking. He doesn't ean any of it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'm pretty sure he passed out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Why isn't spiking the ball intentional grounding? It's the textbook definition of intentional grounding.

You should probably take this one to the rules thread, but I think it is a specialized play that they allow because it adds to the game.

Or do you mean spiking like when Gronk scores a touchdown?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

VOTE1 posted:

As an Australian who now cant watch Ice Hockey, i'm taking up supporting the 49'ers because well 49 is a cool number or something, also they won the first game I watched.. Anyway couple of quick questions.

At what point in a players career do they determine their position? For instance can you tell at age 11 that Jimmy should be a Outside line backer rather than a inside line backer? Or a Corner vs a Safety? Likewise is the decision between corner back and WR pretty much 'well he's fast, but can he catch?'.

I guess a second question is do players move around positions during their career? Ie will a safety or corner ever change into a wide receiver?

Being a San Francisco fan is like being a Collingwood fan, with more rape and baby eating. Don't do it!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Which team won the voting for best old school logo in that thread from way back? I remember the drunken 49er miner guy with pistols was in the running, also the alcoholic world-weary Seahawk and Buccaneer Bruce.

Old school Seahawk won. He beat out the Browns Brownie I believe.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Thanks man - like the new avatar!

Pete Carroll is the poo poo. I love him, gently caress the haters thnk you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

davecrazy posted:

A guys actual nickname isint some dumb play on words meant to insult them.

What about really bad Berman names like Stephen "Running for the" Hills?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Thank you for this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

I was disappointed to learn that teams only seem to have one flavor of Gatorade on the sideline.

Not sure why this disappointed me...

To be fair HGH Orange is the best flavor.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McKracken posted:

The flavors available in the multi-gallon bags that teams buy in bulk for water coolers are pretty limited and usually 1 full bag takes care of all the coolers and water bottles you'd need for 1 game.

You would think Tom Brady could get Iceberg Blue whenever Tom Brady wanted Iceberg Blue.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Batoot posted:

Yeah I'm sort of afraid of he getting injured, he's gotten alot of hits already. And the recent concussion .. hopefully he'll be a bit more careful. People talking about him being a bust, what's that about? Is that still an issue or is it more about the pre-draft? I like watching alot of teams, but I just find myself cheering more for the Redskins because of RG3. If he got the franchise into the playoffs that would probably be a good start, but it won't happen on his rookie year. Because obviously this is a team game. And yeah, I heard about Snyder and his awful ways. I'd love to hear more on why he's a lovely owner. But please, tell me more about the pros and cons of being a Redskins fan. :allears:

Seriously, the name Redskins is really loving racist. Where are you from? Pick the worst slur you can think of and apply it to a team name. That is what you're about to cheer for. Go be a Tampa Bay fan. They could use help.

Zorkon posted:

The Patriots have Chandler Jones, brother of Julio "Bones" Jones, who apparently is an MMA fighter.

It's actually Jon, not Julio. And he is the undisputed light heavy weight champ.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KettleWL posted:

Also their dad would whip tennis balls at their faces when they were 4 to develop their hands. "At first they'd get hit in the face and start crying, then they learned not to be afraid of the ball" or some other crazy child-scarring sports dad quote here instead.

He would line them up in front of the garage and throw the balls at them. As they grew older (6 or 7) he would use a racket. :stonk:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Arschlochkind posted:

:smug: Couldn't he just choose to be one later? :smug:

:golfclap:
See Titans game for reference.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Bears are cool and fun and not the Steelers so do it. Plus you can rep a Jay Cutty avatar like a boss.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Safeties are the best, haters vacate.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

the posted:

Why don't/can't players drop kick extra points or field goals?

I read on Wikipedia that drop kicked balls are legal, so why don't they? There are some devilishly accurate players in rugby leagues who drop kick through the uprights. I just wonder why they never experiment with that.

If you look at Australian football they do it too. In fact all the best. (read hardest hitting) punters are Aussie Rules players. Jeff Wing... :allears:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Trin Tragula posted:

I think you'll find his name is Brad Wing :eng101:

Dammit. I know a Jeff Wing and it always throws me off.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Thanks for the info. I figured this. I still might use it as an idea for my project because my professor knows nothing about football anyway.

If you make an awesome tablet app that goes pro you have to call it the Football Funtab

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Aguamoose posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread having never ventured into this subforum before, but being a fan from England whose knowledge is about as deep as a game of Madden can give me I have a question and the rookie thread's probably as good a place as any to ask it.

I've been watching football occasionally for a few years and I have a very vivid memory of watching a Sunday night game some time ago (living in England it was gone midnight) and a football player gave an interview through the medium of an animatronic deer head. It's basically what got me into the game.

Please tell me I'm not insane and this actually happened. If it did and someone can dredge up video of it I'll love you forever.

Did you see headlights too? If so, it's Colt McCoy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Aguamoose posted:

I think this joke might have been lost on me slightly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

jeffersonlives posted:

Thomas left his feet and waylaid Tannehill high and late.

I'm not arguing this point. He did hit high, and it was a little late. But I would like to add, for those who did not see it, that Thomas was running full speed at Tannehill and jumped into the air to bat down the pass. I would make the argument that his intent was not to make the hit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

AFC North - Murder Divison
AFC East - Patriots Division
AFC South - Who? Division
AFC West - Victim Division

NFC North - Snow Division
NFC East - Douchebag Division
NFC South - Not the SEC Division
NFC West - Occasionally Relevant Division

NFC West- :wtc: Division

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dey Yah posted:

I know they occasionally have Co-MVPs in the NFL, but a quick check of Wiki shows that there's never been a co-DPotY. If, say JJ Watt and Aldon Smith both get the sack record this season, is there a chance that they could split that? Is that something that they can do?

I think the last two weeks have demonstrated that Watt solely deserves the award over Aldon. Smith is an amazing pass rusher, no doubt. I would absolutely rather have him than Bruce Irvin. That said, without Justin Smith he seems to have been dramatically exposed. JJ Watt, on the other hand, seems to be making his plays through his own ability and not the scheme helping him out. He is also doing it from a position that does not normally record record sacks. (lol record record) Plus Watt is a threat to bat down passes as well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jerome Agricola posted:

This is apparently one of the examples that was used to pass the new rule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDH6x5JW7M

Trent Richardson decapitates Kurt Coleman. "That's the way you play football in the National Football League".

That is loving brutal and I support the new rule.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

real talk, I just realized I do not know which teams are AFC south and which are NFC south

They are just a big nebulous "those guys"

The NFC South has darker and more menacing colors. The AFC has three teams that use lots of white and light blue.

And the Jags.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Strange Matter posted:

I feel like I could hate the Buccaneers much more easily if they wore those terrible melted orange popsicle uniforms more often.

Get out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Chichevache and I agree on something!!!!!

We also hate the Steelers and the Seahawks but love the Browns. :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Does anyone know how they choose the Hall of Fame Game teams? Is it just a raffle? Because the choices always seem so random to me. Cowboys vs Dolphins and last year was Saints and Cardinals. Obviously it is AFC vs NFC, but beyond that I just can't see a pattern.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Atomic Spud posted:

Aren't both the Saints and Cards in the NFC?

poo poo. You're right. Well now I'm really confused

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I was hoping they would have some rhyme or reason, like at least choosing teams that some of the inductees played for. So if four of the inductees had played for the Cowboys or Dolphins this year would make sense. Otherwise... :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Deteriorata posted:

Fortunately, nobody watches it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I already have my recording set up just in case I can't watch the whole thing live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just remember its like Aussie rules football only considerably less cryptic.

Just remember the Steelers are basically Collingwood with even more criminal fans and players. The Browns are Melbourne. :smith:

• Locked thread