Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

skaboomizzy posted:

Veterans Stadium (PHI), Three Rivers (PIT), Riverfront (CIN), Municipal Stadium (CLE), Oakland Coliseum (OAK), Jack Murphy Stadium (SD) and old Busch Stadium (STL) were all dual-purpose and they were all poo poo-piles from the very start. They were miserable experiences for ticket-holders of either sport. Once the baseball park renaissance kicked in after the early 90's success of Camden Yards in Baltimore and everyone went for retro baseball-only ballparks, it was only a matter of time until the football teams wanted their own awesome sport-specific stadiums.

The big joke is that a baseball park has a guaranteed 81 dates of revenue plus whatever concerts/events they can draw while the football stadium only has ten, two of which are glorified scrimmages that nobody wants to go to but season-ticket holders are forced to buy.

You can add the Astrodome and Metrodome to this list, probably along with a bunch of others. Basically in the 60s it was super popular to build one stadium for both baseball and football. The only single purpose/sport stadiums built in that time that I can think of off the top of my head were Arrowhead and Kauffman (formerly Royals stadium). And after some renovations those are both going still going strong today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
2012 is before this was around I think, but Gendo's post on A&M on firejerrykill made a lot of Aggies super mad.

It's gone if that happens to be what you were thinking of.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo I found it, you can't memory hole poo poo from me Gendo! And I guess it was before 2012, drat it doesn't seem that long ago.

No pictures though.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120229190738/http://firejerrykill.com/2011/10/25/awful-fanbases-texas-am/

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

Personally I'm just amazed the Browns ever won 10 games.

If you want to go waaaaaay the hell back they were a legit dynasty. Think Pats but more dominant, went to 10 straight Championship games between 1946 and 1955, winning 7. In the Super Bowl era it's been rough though, even when they were good they would go out of the playoffs in the most painful ways.

And of course since the franchise reboot they've just been awful.

e: well sorta 10 straight, the first 5 were in the AAFC which was a competing league to the NFL. They still went the first 5 years after they were admitted to the NFL.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 10, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Serotonin posted:

OK that makes sense. Never watched any college football so thats passed me by. Im very new to all this.

This is a fun look at how the concept of the signs and signals works to get the plays communicated in college. The team in the video is an NAIA team (think really tiny schools that aren't very good) but the concepts are the same. I like the archer and throat slash signals, they explain how the signs work toward the end.

This video isn't as informative about what they actually mean but shows how much weird rear end verbiage goes on in the NFL.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This doesn't answer any questions but I swear I remember some super old NFL highlight where a fan snuck onto the field and actually played defense on a goal line pass and no one noticed.

Deteriorata if you're still lurking this thread you might remember, I want to say it was the Jets for some reason but maybe that's not right. I'm having a hard time googling it but I know there's video somewhere.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ulmont posted:

It's still there. A PAT has to be a field goal, but a field goal may be a dropkick:

I think you can still drop kick, you just have to do it from the longer distance. Which...yeah kind of defeats the point but it's still a legal play in that instance.

Say Richard Sherman is 5 yards offside and the holder spins out of things and tries a drop kick while Sherman's destroying the kicker's plant leg, it would be legal if he managed to make it I think?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Deteriorata posted:

Of course. Not much point in having divisions if they don't mean anything. Wild cards pick up the slack for divisions with several good teams.

The Raiders did not win the division that year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

EvilHawk posted:

Do players wear/have the option of wearing any lower leg protection at all? I've seen a few tackles over the last few weeks have have essentially been stud-on-shin tackles, but there's been surprisingly few leg breaks (I'm comparing this to soccer, which sees at least one major leg break every season even with shin pads). I'm assuming the difference is that players aren't generally flying in at leg height for the ball, but still.

There's no rule against it as far as I know, but players generally don't like wearing more pads than they need to*. They think (and hell, maybe they're right) it slows them down. I think almost all skill position players don't wear knee pads anymore, and unless they were forced to by rule at some point and I missed it a lot of them don't wear thigh pads.

As to why there aren't more broken legs, I'd guess the difference is soccer guys are generally kicking around the shins in opposite directions and a guy getting tackled in the NFL isn't generating his own force into loving up his leg? Just speculation.

*--Quarterbacks are an exception, a lot of them wear a flack jacket type thing to protect their ribs. Also if a guy has had a knee injury he's likely to wear a brace.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There was a cool example of this earlier this year, fat man drops waaaaay back behind the LoS on a trick play so it's a backwards pass and then houses it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N8Sho5suS0

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I found this but skimming it it seems to be more of a personal thing about stuff guys do before the game.

I haven't been out to a game early enough to see warmups in years, but I'd imagine nothing much has changed. Kickers and punters will get practice kicks in, they'll kick toward whichever end zone is on the side of the field they're warming up on. Everyone will do some stretches and jogging, the lines will do some...not hitting exactly but they'll line up and do their initial jab steps and such just to get a feel. QBs will do some throwing to receivers or ball boys if the receivers are doing other stuff, DBs and linebackers will do poo poo like karaoke drills and some other football movement drills.

Nothing's really full speed but everyone's doing some moving around appropriate for whatever their position is.

e: Well maybe nothing's full speed is wrong, they'll get a couple of good runs in, but aside from that it's just getting and staying loose.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 25, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't remember a whole lot about ownership being total crap like Tampa and Cincinnati, seems to mostly be a combination of never being able to find a plus quarterback until Matt Ryan and not getting the type of coach/overall talent to work around that type of thing. Well outside of a year or two of Dan Reeves. People like to poo poo on Ryan but even if you buy into that he's far far better than anyone else the organization has ever had at the position, unless you want to count 4 attempts of rookie Brett Favre. Chris Miller is the #3 passer in franchise history for christ's sake. Mike Vick might be in the top 4 best players they've ever had at QB and he's openly admitted he never bothered to try to learn how to play the position until he got to Philadelphia.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

eh, he still did alright i'd say

He was a good player. Just imagine him with all that athleticism he had at the start of his career and actually caring about poo poo like learning to read defenses.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

kicker talk

Look up Roberto Aguayo. Supposedly if there was a sure thing kicking field goals <45 yards or so he was it. Tampa Bay bought into that and traded up to get him in the second round. Which we've all made fun of around here but it plays into your point, he was supposed to be money, and might have had value if that was true.

Turns out there's really no sure thing and kickers just flake out all the time and it's not really predictable which kicker you should sign. I guess I don't even know how you evaluate kickers other than on how strong their legs are, I suppose it would be a very involved process of looking at their mechanics.

Functionally kickers seem to be kind of interchangeable as far as I can tell unless you're talking about one or two guys who are the best in the game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

The problem with kickers is that year to year, there's a couple of guys who are trainwrecks and a few who don't miss anything

In 2012 every Green Bay fan was out for Mason Crosby's blood when he hit something like 60% of his field goals. Since then he's been hitting at about an 87% rate. Mike Vanderjagt is remembered for Peyton Manning's 'idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off' quote, and if you remember him for more than that it's probably for missing a big kick in a playoff game. But he's the 5th most accurate kicker to ever play the game.

a neat cape posted:

Justin Tucker, then there's a huge gap. Dan Bailey maybe?

Bailey's pretty close to Tucker, and yeah those are the two I was thinking of.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It is probably worth noting that we're in the middle of something like a kicker renaissance.

Today if you hit less than 80% of your kicks you probably kinda suck and people will want to upgrade. Morten Andersen who just made the hall of fame was under that, and by a quick count here there are somewhere north of 20 active kickers who beat that mark. Which is kind of impressive, if anything the league has tried to make field goals harder by introducing the K ball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Morten Andersen should never have made it to the Hall of Fame though.

Well I agree (sorry Saints fans), but he's still one of the all time greats compared to his peers at the time for that position. His peers just weren't anywhere near as good as the guys who came into the league since 2000 or so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is it spot of the kick? Not previous line of scrimmage?

Yeah they changed it to the spot of the kick on a missed field goal at some point, maybe at the same time they started using specific kicker balls? Sometime after 1995 or so at the least,. The NFL really has done a few things to try to make kicking harder or a harder decision for a coach and none of it has worked at all unless you're talking 60+ yards.

The only thing left is narrowing the goal posts or going to college hash marks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

With Dorial Beckham-Green being cut from the Eagles after a season I'm seeing a lot of the narrative that he is very talented but just plain lazy, I'm interested to hear of some other players you can name like that. I'm sure there's a lot but just the ones that immediately jump to mind.

These are the sort of questions you get bored enough to ask in the middle of the off season...

JaMarcus Russell is probably the go-to example for that. JaMarcus was a physically amazing talent at QB, but man he just didn't give two shits about the game. He ate and purple drank himself out of even getting another look after 3 years in the league. There's a great Larch post I hope someone will dig up about Russell, but since I don't have that I'll give you a story that may be apocryphal, but if it ain't true it oughtta be.

The Raiders would send JaMarcus home each week with a game plan DVD, the DVD would be full of plays and formations and useful stuff to study for the next game. They suspected he wasn't actually studying, so one week they sent him home with a completely blank DVD. JaMarcus never noticed.

For a less brazen version of that type of guy Mike Vick admitted he basically never bothered to learn to play quarterback until he got to Philly and worked with Andy Reid. He was still able to do ok early in his career just because he was so amazingly athletic, but he might have been ridiculous if he both had that athleticism and cared as much as he should at the same time. Well that and if the whole dogfighting thing hadn't happened.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Having not played myself I wondered how the defense was so much more tired for a given amount of play time than the offense.

I believe it's just more tiring to play DL than it is OL, and so much of the game starts in the trenches. Only a very few (generally really good) defensive linemen play almost all snaps, and it's a pretty standard thing for offensive linemen to play the entire game unless there's an injury or something.

Tempo plays into this too, if offensive teams are going fast and not subbing it means the defense can't safely sub either without risking a 12 men penalty. Which can leave completely gassed guys on the field way longer than anyone (other than the offense) wants them there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Deteriorata posted:

The names of the backs are holdovers from Rugby. The farthest man from the line was fully back, or the fullback. Two players were halfway back between the line and the fullback - the halfbacks. One more player was between the halfbacks and the line, or a quarter of the way back - the quarterback.

This is historically correct but very confusing for anyone watching the modern game for the first time and would lead you to believe a halfback/tailback is a fullback if you're watching a game today.

For an easier position identifier explanation on the backs: the quarterback almost always takes the snap. He's the dude who will be throwing 99% of the time if it's a passing play.

If there are two running backs in the backfield and one is lined up closer to the line of scrimmage (where the ball is snapped) than the other one, that one is the fullback. These are generally larger, slower running backs whose main job is to block. The man lined up farther back in a two running back set is generally the halfback, he's probably the guy with the job of actually carrying the ball most of the time on running plays.

This can get more complicated, but if you're starting on the NFL and not college that's probably the most you'll need to know outside of a rare play here and there. The NFL as a league has largely gone to single running back sets on most plays, and that running back is generally a halfback because those guys are more dangerous with the ball in their hands.

I'll see if I can dig up some diagrams later tonight or tomorrow for easier identification, since all of this goes way easier with pictures.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pangstrom posted:

Supposedly. Sometimes when coaches talk about how clever their organization is about stuff like this and then you watch them challenge plays where the call was obviously correct or mismanage the clock in ways 12-year-olds playing Madden would never do it makes you wonder.

To be fair you can also be a legitimately brilliant offensive coach and still have absolutely no clue in these areas of the game. See--Andy Reid.

Oh god I just flashed back to that playoff game against the Pats a couple of years ago again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

OperaMouse posted:

When talking about pass rushing DE's and OLB's, why is their designation EDGE written in all-caps? Is it an acronym of something, or simply that all the other positions are written in caps as well (due to being acronyms)?

I don't believe there is any acronym involved, and if you read articles about them they're often just referred to as edge rushers or Edge rushers. The term is generally used in pre-draft evaluations or maybe in free agency, once those players are on a team they'd usually be referred to as either a DE or OLB depending on how that team uses them.

I think EDGE might be styled that way in some places because all other positions are all caps. QB, RB, WR, etc. I suppose we should be grateful they haven't just shortened a fake position name to ED or something to make things even more confusing.

e: I suppose this might also come up when comparing pass rushers league-wide. I'd imagine it might come up if you play a version of fantasy football where you draft individuals on defense but I don't really know.

I did see that some places do shorten EDGE to EDR, so I guess there is a shortened version out there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 2, 2018

• Locked thread