Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lloyd Christmas posted:

I think the 18 game schedule is a red herring. The owners know the players will never go for it, so they "compromise" and do a 17-game schedule with one international game for each team. The extra game rotates with some team that finished the same place you did from a division in the other conference you aren't playing.
I just can't see 16 international games a year at Wembley alone, so those games would have to be spread out between there, Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, Olympiastadion in Berlin, and Tokyo Dome in Tokyo. Wembley and Azteca have both hosted regular season games, Berlin's stadium was renovated into a beautiful arena for the 2006 World Cup, and Tokyo Dome held the last two American Bowls which were preseason games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blackula69 posted:

How much is the Steelers Super Bowl XLIII ball I got with my SI subscription worth?
Is it also a phone?

This could be important, because then it would be a fun relic of an earlier time.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Incoherence posted:

They've been able to call it as "unsportsmanlike conduct" for awhile now, as far as I know. It's just a matter of where they put the threshold for throwing a flag.

According to Wikipedia, the current system dates to 1999, with occasional modifications in following years. In general, it's considered a positive change, since inevitably your team will get screwed at some point by a bad call, and instant replay allows officials to reverse some of the more egregious ones. They haven't really changed the other rules to account for instant replay, so it's not like the game is substantially different, although the officials do behave somewhat differently if they know they can reverse a call in certain ways and not others.
Also, there was video review before which was at the discretion of the ref in the booth (much like during the last 2 minutes of the half) but it ended after a controversial call.

Oh thank you Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscrMo8Tk6Y
The sound is really weak, so you may have to crank it, but this is straight from the CBS feed.

The challenge system and now HD technology have made replay much better. Now if these stadiums would just loving set up a camera directly on the goal line we'd be set.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I swear that when that commercial first came out, someone on the SA forums had a brother that was a bigwig at the Honey Council and that the honey/syrup thing was No Joke™.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SaxMaverick posted:

It's Romo. Had it come out correctly it would've been

1) The greatest TD pass you have ever seen
2) The most hilarious interception or throw short of the line you have ever seen.

I don't get mad at Dallas losing anymore. They are, hands down, the most entertaining football team in the league.
Don't forget the most beautiful TD pass ever called back because the receiver's towel lands out of bounds before his second foot touches down. Or hair. Something new after Bryant's fingers were out of bounds.

edit: Something like this to take away the TD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCXUBNYbVLk

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 21, 2012

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Billick used to break down certain plays every week for the NFL Network, I guess he moved to Fox for whatever reason. It's great hearing a coach really break down a play. A++ Would watch again.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bashez posted:

It's Mike! They are all named. Mike is middle, Sam is strong, and Will is weak.
What about a 3-4 defense?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thanks. Is the Jack/Joker the one that is usually a hybrid DE/LB in the Merriman sense?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

swickles posted:

except for the last poll of the year. Thats when the coaches actually care.
Or the preseason poll, when Spurrier gives Duke a vote because that's where he got his first head coaching job.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Has the NFL ever considered prorating the salary cap for each team to account for state income taxes? Theoretically, the Texas and Florida shitshows have a competitive advantage.
To add to the discussion, I also believe that pay is based on the location of the game, so while Texas and Florida teams have what seems like an advantage, half of every player's pay is taxed on the away games. I think it's something from when the NFL and AFL combined to make it so it's not a monopolistic advantage. Or something like that.

That also doesn't take into consideration teams that are very near state borders, where the players live a majority of the year 10 miles away in a different state. Or players spend the majority of their time in the state that drafted them and where they built their family and commute during the season. Taxes are complicated and all teams employ accountants that know their stuff

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 17, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
My Google-fu is weak, so I'm asking it here.

When an NCAA player has to sit out a year for academic reasons, and has already played a season, can they still (if available) use a redshirt for that season or does that count as one of the 4 years of eligibility? I thought of this during the Notre Dame game, because the announcers were nice enough to remind me why Gholston missed last year (academic eligibility).

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thanks. I knew about using a redshirt for injury but I didn't know if it could be used for academic reasons.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Can someone clarify the '30 second timeout' rule or whatever? When did the NFL go to using 30 second timeouts instead of regular full time outs, and when the hell has that mattered because the TV crew has a red hat ref that stands at midfield during a media timeout so 30 or full doesn't matter, it's when the red hat leaves.

gently caress the red hat guy who isn't even a real ref.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ChocolatePancake posted:

All time outs are 30 second time outs, and have been as far back as I can remember.

I hate the red hat guy as much as you, but sadly the TV networks pay the NFL billions of dollars to televise the games, so when they want a longer timeout, they get it.
The 30 seconds for the timeout only matters when the network decides to not go to commercial.
Thanks. I guess I was used to basketball time outs where there is a choice. In high school there was no red hat guy so every time out was just a time out, there was no clarification of "ok we're not going to commercial it's a 30 second time out". I hear it more on the radio and it's been bugging me.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
RE: running up the score:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_Cumberland_vs._Georgia_Tech_football_game

Don't piss off John Heisman.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The only realistic safety from 20+ yards out is a very bad snap on a punt where it goes sailing over the punter's head and he boots it out the back to prevent a TD.

Sure, sometimes there is a forward pass for -24 yards but that was a special kind of special that happened at midfield. If it was near the end zone hopefully the QB would just eat the 10 yard loss and not keep scrambling towards the end zone.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Trin Tragula posted:

I once saw a punt that went about five yards forward and 10 feet in the air, stopped dead in its tracks, rose vertically for another 15 feet, and then the Giant Hand seized it and threw it 25 yards backward. The first bounce was two yards deep in the end zone and the ball finished up about another 100 yards away from the end line...
:stonk:

I guess the ruling would be 'safety' but with wind like that would you still force the team with the unfortunate wind to kick off or maybe let them just give team B the ball at B's 35?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Here's a hypothetical: The NFL has new PAT rules where a placekick is snapped from the 15 and a 2 point attempt is from the 2. What if a team lines up with a standard offense at the 2 but then the QB drop kicks the ball ala Flutie? What if they line up with a jumbo set and the QB drops to a knee before the snap, QB acts as holder and the RB kicks it through ala Chad Johnson in preseason that one time?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
This one has the hand signal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslz06J9hFw

Also, thanks for the explanation for kicking from the 2.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Benne posted:

I remember seeing Mike Holmgren on there a few years back and was like drat, has his reputation plummeted so far that he can't even get a studio pundit gig in America? ESPN hands those out like candy to any semi-notable name.

Also the Sky Sports feed taught me that the "British American Football League" is a thing that exists. I can only assume it's filled with randos who weren't good enough for rugby.

From what Trin Tragula said, it's DIII level football. Texas high school games get larger crowds than the BAFL.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CellBlock posted:

I've seen announcers talk about this, and I think it's pretty common across quarterbacks. Generally, a silent count is what you say, a non-verbal signal that the team knows how long to wait after. Usually, it's picking up one leg, but yeah, it could be anything.

Then, most QBs will still do their silent snap count motion even when going with an audible count. Part of that might be just to keep themselves in rhythm, but I guess it could also be to try to confuse the defense as to whether they're going with the silent or loud count. (Just like a lot of the "audibles" called out are nothing at all.)
Bolding is mine.

Is there any consensus on what "OMAHA" meant?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Skwirl posted:

He went to prison for hosting and betting on dog fights, the tragic part is the NFL caring more about the gambling than the dog fights.
The United States of America cared more about the fact that the gambling took place across state borders more than anything else. If he kept it in Virginia he would have been fine because Virginia wouldn't care.

Also Vick spent his time in Atlanta making highlight reels against the Panthers so I'm in the position where I want to hate the player but I have to respect the game.

loving hovering over the goal line and reaching out and winning the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grittybeard posted:

To be fair you can also be a legitimately brilliant offensive coach and still have absolutely no clue in these areas of the game. See--Andy Reid.

Oh god I just flashed back to that playoff game against the Pats a couple of years ago again.

If Andy Reid had an assistant coach in charge of clock management he would have many rings.

• Locked thread