Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

sc0tty posted:

Q. Could somebody explain the statistics and 'boxscore' formats that are typically used to cover NFL games. Coming from the NBA these things can be a little confusing.
Sure. I'll give you a rough overview of a simple box score to start out with, then if you have more questions we can go from there.

This is a pretty typical NFL box score. Let's go over it piece by piece. First there's the scoring summaries and stat summaries:

Scoring Summary

The scoring summary is pretty self-explanatory. Scoring drives are listed in the order they occurred by quarter. The icon indicates which team scored. The time is at what time in that quarter the score happened. The next column is the scoring play and the result of either the extra point or two point conversion (if applicable) and the score after the drive is listed next to that.

The team stat comparison is a little more complicated.

Team Stats

1. First downs is the total number of first downs for each team, which is then broken down into the numbers of first downs each team earned as a result of passing, rushing or as the result of a penalty.

2. Third down efficiency is a measure of how many times each team converted a third down to a first down.

3. Fourth down efficiency is the same as above but for fourth downs.

4. Passing lists the total passing yards for each team.

5. Comp-Att is a measure of how many passes each team completed versus how many attempts, in this example the Vikings completed 28 passes out of 33 attempts.

6. Yards Per Pass is exactly what it says. The number of total passing yards divided by pass attempts.

7. Rushing is the number of rushing yards each team earned.

8. Rushing attempts is the number of rushing plays each team ran.

9. Yards per rush is the number of yards gained divided by rushing attempts.

10. Turnovers is the number of times each team turned the ball over to the other team either as the result of a lost fumble, interception or loss of downs.

11. The above is then broken down into fumbles lost and interceptions thrown.

12. Defensive / Special Teams TDs is a measure of how many times each team scored a defensive TD (on an interception or fumble return) or a special teams TD (blocked kick returned for a TD, punt or kickoff return for a TD, etc).

13. Possession is a measure of the time of possession for each team. Basically how long each team's offense held onto the ball.

Now to move onto the individual offensive stats:

Passing Stats
1. C/ATT is shorthand for the Completions/Attempts we discussed above. So in this example Favre threw the ball 25 times and completed 22 passes. That is 22 were caught.

2. YDS are the number of yards passing he had.

3. AVG is shorthand for yards per pass. So passing yards divided by passing attempts.

4. TD represents passing touchdowns.

5. INT represents interceptions thrown.

6. Rating stands for QB rating, a statistic that attempts to combine all QB passing statistics into one easy to digest number. If you're curious it's ((((Comp/Att) * 100) -30) / 20 + (((TDs/Att) * 100) / 5) + ((9.5 - ((Int/Att) * 100)) / 4) + (((Yards/Att) - 3) / 4)) / .06. Yes really.

Rushing Stats

1. CAR stands for carries, the number of rushing attempts for each player.

2. YDS are the number of yards gained for each player on rushing attempts.

3. AVG are the average number of yards gained, so yards / carries.

4. TD represents rushing TDs for each player.

5. LG is the longest rush for each player.

Receiving Stats

1. REC is the number of receptions for each player. So in this game Shiancoe has the most receptions with 8.

2. YDS are the number of receiving yards.

3. AVG are the average number of yards per catch, so yards / receptions.

4. LG, as above, represent the longest reception for each player.

5. TGTS are the number of times each player was targeted with a pass.

FUMBLES
This is kind of an in-between category as both offensive and defensive players get lumped here. You are listed here if you lose or recover a fumble. In this example we only see Heath Farwell who recovered a Seattle fumble for the Vikings but obviously these three categories are FUM (Fumbles), LOST (Fumbles Lost) and REC (Fumbles Recovered).

Now for Defensive Statistics.

Defensive statistics are split into two categories here. Tackels and Misc.

1. TOT is total tackles.

2. SOLO is solo tackles, tackles made without assistance from another player.

3. SACKS are total sacks, the number of times an eligible passer was tackled behind the line of scrimmage.

4. TFL is tackles for a loss, the number of times a ball carrier was tackled behind the line of scrimmage.

5. PD is passes defensed, the number of times a defender tipped, deflected or otherwise interfered with a pass in the air intended for an offensive player.

6. QB Hits are the number of times the defensive player hit the QB but it did not result in a sack.

7. TD represents defensive touchdowns.

Now let's finish with special teams.

Kick Returns

1. NO is the number of kick returns.

2. YDS is the number of yards gained on those kick returns.

3. AVG is the average number of yards per kick return (yards / no).

4. TD is the number of kick return touchdowns.

Punt Returns

Same as above but for punts.

Kicking

1. FG The fraction lists the number of successful kicks over the number of attempts. (So if you made 2 but attempted 3 it would be 2/3).

2. The PCT is the percentage of kicks made.

3. LONG is the longest kick made.

4. XP (see Vikings example) is the same as the FG but for extra points, the number of successful extra points over attempted extra points.

5. PTS is the total number of points gained by kicks (FGs * 3 + XPs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Doppelganger posted:

I only got into football during the 2008 season, so I'm glad to see a thread like this. I'm sure I'll have plenty of random rear end questions to contribute, like this one:

Why is operating out of the shotgun considered more of a primarily college style offense? I can see the value in a QB being able to quickly read the defense and pass the ball from under center, but what do you lose by taking a shotgun snap?
The NFL game operates at a higher speed than the college game. Reaction times are faster, players read plays more quickly, players close more quickly. All that makes it harder to run out of the shotgun without some kind of misdirection.

Establishing the run game is an important part of most NFL offenses so unless you're going to replace most of your run game with a short passing game you really do need to get under center into a pro set or I formation to run the ball consistently. Otherwise your back is set so far in the backfield and run plays are so telegraphed they get blown up unless the defense really sells out on the pass rush and you can sneak a draw or delay past them.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Give me a minute I have to overcome the massive wave of depression that just hit me.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Seriously just take that and give it a competent defense WHAT THE gently caress MINNESOTA

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

SteelAngel2000 posted:

He's Vikings McFumblealot
Let me come up with a disparaging term for LeDanli-- oh

• Locked thread