Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Everyone hates the Steelers.

Steelers should be their own group.

Everyone hates the Steelers, including many Steelers fans. Also winning 15% of Super Bowls is definitely Superstars group regardless of what happened last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Safe Word posted:

Neil O'Donnell
Bernie Kosar
Dave Krieg

all better than

Warren Moon
Fran Tarkenton
John Elway
Johnny Unitas

Jerome Bettis, the greatest Steelers quarterback of all time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Most college conferences don't allow artificial noisemakers

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheSkipster posted:

First answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0garYRQ_0

You forgot "looking like a badass."

Can't wear mirrored ones any more though. Just clear and (I think still) black.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Fact: Whenever there are shots of sunburst visors the person wearing them is always doing something badass.

Observation: Sunburst visors turn people into badasses.

Black visors make you look like a ruthless, emotionless killing machine.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ThatOtherGuy posted:

In high school one of my coaches would actually encourage us to poke at eyes and punch and kick under piles.

So yeah if I were a guy who carried the ball a lot I'd want something protecting my face.

I also read that the last thing anyone goes after in the fumble pile is something that is not your testicle, yet no one wears gear down there either.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ch1mp posted:

Thank you for explaining that. The colossal mismatches that I seem stumble across frequently are one of the reasons that I have had a hard time getting in to college ball and I wondered where these match ups came from.

Some of those games are mandated by law or tradition or the other team used to be better or whatever.

Like Navy (the underdog) will play Notre Dame (usually not the underdog) until Navy says they don't want to. And Navy proceeded to lose like 43 years straight. But Navy's second biggest rival is Notre Dame so they'll play it. Ohio State completely overpowers all the other Ohio teams, but somewhere along the way Ohio grew a lot of FBS teams. So every year they crush Ohio or Akron or something because its all Ohio.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tk posted:

The rest of the bowls are generally affiliated with a conference and have a pecking order of which teams they get to pick. Sometimes you'll see a Bowl Game A listed as something like Big Ten #3 vs. Big 12 #3. Generally it's looked at that the bowl will feature the #3 team in each of those conferences. What it actually means is that Bowl Game A has 3rd choice of which team from each conference it wants.

Here's a good example of this:

Suppose Penn State and Michigan are both 9-3 (6-2). They're both tied for second in the conference. The Capital One has pick of the #2 Big Ten team after the Rose Bowl took Ohio State. But PSU and Michigan are both #2. Who do you take!

The answer is Michigan, because PSU went last year and PSU fans probably aren't too keen to return to Orlando a second year in a row to a tier 2 bowl. Michigan hasn't been there in a few years, or any bowl for that matter. So a lot of people with money will fly down out of the frigid north to be in Florida. Penn State fans grumble a little, but fly down to Tampa anyhow for the Outback Bowl.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I have a simple caveman brain so I watch the ball :v:

I'm more of a defensive minded person. The secondary and linebackers are what I like to watch. After the snap, I try to not watch the ball and see where the receivers are going or the possible routes the ballcarrier has.

I also like to complain about clock management and I'm convinced thousands of games of NCAA 03 through 11 have trained me to be better at it for some reason.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Every once in a while they turn up in weird places. For example, my brother saw a bunch of Ohio State national champions shirts in a Salvation Army in Akron once.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The wider hash marks kinda help an outside running game. Which relates back to styles of play that don't work in the NFL because of the speed of the defense. If you're on the left hash, there's way more space on the right back in the days of the option. The NFL might as well be centering the ball every time and that is boring to me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trin Tragula posted:

An American football field is exactly 53 and 1/3 yards wide, for reasons that no doubt made sense at the time and so nobody bothered to write them down.

That's 160 feet. Maybe it made a good match to the overall 360 feet the rest of the field is. They both end in 60...?

Wait, back when the field was the grid, how far apart were the grid lines (the ones that eventually became the hashes, i mean)?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trin Tragula posted:

They didn't divide the field perfectly into boxes, if that's what you're getting at; the boxes were 5 yards by 5 yards except the ones next to the sidelines, which were 5 yards long by 5 feet wide, and IIRC the field width had more or less become standardised before 5-yard lines were invented.

I was curious if maybe the spacing of them added with their number made the seemingly random 160 feet make sense. Like if there were 20 of them spaced out at eight yards, because you'd get 10 on each side of the centerline of the field but that still wouldn't explain why they picked eight feet to space them out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dominion posted:

Of all the sports I would expect players to be on "diversity scholarships", hockey would be dead last.

Swedes, Finnish, Russians, and so on are...technically diverse yes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

See, I'm at the other end where I want to see someone line up in the Maryland I, Power I, and Delaware Wing-T.

Also Flexbone and some options geez would it kill someone to actually run an option play :(

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its Miller Time posted:

He is a legend, but not nearly close to a household name like Wayne Gretzky or Michael Jordan. I wouldn't expect the casual football fan to know who Lawrence Taylor is.

He was in the Shaft movie with Sam Jackson. He voiced a character in GTA: Vice City. He told us not to smoke crack in The Waterboy. He's pretty close to household name.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Goal posts used to be a lot wider, and also on the goal line. College never narrowed the hashmarks when they narrowed the goalposts (which I think has happened at least twice).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The 1980 Holiday Bowl taught us any time on the clock is a dangerous thing.

With two and a half to play, SMU had a 45-25 lead over BYU.

BYU won 46-45.

In my book, unless you're up four TDs with three minutes to go and the opponent has no timeouts, you could still lose.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

Step 1: Find local sports bar.
Step 2: Go to local sports bar.
Step 3: Watch football all day every day.

Wouldn't this actually wind up costing more?

I don't think I've spent less than $45 going to sports bars for a day.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

Gotta drive back home my man. No real public transit or cabs in northern VA.

I'm not sure we live in the same Northern VA?

I was also the plate of chicken fingers, a few pulled pork sliders, three beers, a Dr Pepper, and...like pretzels or something.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Or you could work for the Big Ten and call games for the school you actually attended.

Or be legally blind too. They had one of those for a while.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was disappointed to learn that teams only seem to have one flavor of Gatorade on the sideline.

Not sure why this disappointed me...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

In Gronkdad's defence I might do the same if I knew my kids would grow up to be monstrous in size

I got yelled at by my mom for doing something like this to my nephew.

He was two and had a small football. I'd hand him the ball, then knock it out of his hand and yell "protect the ball!" Well eventually he figured it out!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The safety is my favorite type of scoring. I've seen something like six in person. Punt kicked out the back, sack in the endzone, intentional safety, intentional ground from the endzone, I've seen it all.

I hope to live to see the one point safety, even just on TV. I missed the 2004 one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I had to look it up because I wasn't sure if I'd imagined it or not, but sure enough:

my favorite safety I saw was 2006 PSU-Illinois. PSU's up 17-12 late in the game with Illinois pinned inside their own five. Illinois clearly intends to take the safety on 4th and 15, but Juice Williams rolls out (?!) instead of just falling down. He gets sacked in the endzone for the safety. There's about a minute and a half left and its only 19-12 now. Illinois goes for the on-side...which is fielded by PSU, who runs it straight into the endzone.

It was a hilarious bad game. Illinois only scored on FGs and PSU's defense scored 16 points and two of the three TDs on the day.

Game never happened.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

Look at Favre and McNabb and how their careers ended.

And that's how you get Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

Yes because it owned and was something new in a game that had seen everything.

What happened?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Huh. That's certainly interesting looking. Not sure it could ever be tried again though. At least in the NFL.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A bigger problem, that I often wrap up in a "I want the haves to have it all," is that the lower half of D-I is actually smaller than the top half. There's 120 FBS teams right now and 122 FCS. A couple are going to be moving over to FBS in the next few years. Doesn't that seem a bit odd? You'd think the superior league would be smaller. I'm reluctant to use the word, but more "elite."

FBS should only be about 64 teams. Without padding schedules with Georgia Southern, Akron, and Idaho, you'd see more big name games that would better gauge how good a team really is.

Which is more illuminating:

Alabama: plays an FCS team, Troy State, FIU, Texas State, (all four of those at home, by the way) and then the eight SEC teams it plays.
Alabama: plays Cal, Michigan, Florida State, Oklahoma State (two at home, two on the road), and then the SEC slate.

Yeah, you still run into a sample size issue, but the best teams would look really, really impressive.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rap posted:

number 40 :stare:

Its like when a cartoon character would get hit on the head with an anvil and get squished.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Badfinger posted:

That's only a problem if you created conferences second, after forming a competitive structure. You also haven't ACTUALLY addressed the part where even if there were half the teams the "important" (note: not actually more important) schools would still play the same schedules they do now, while also creating a reality where the probability that a team that's not regarded as a traditional powerhouse has a 0% chance to ascend nationally as opposed to a .05% chance now.

Plus there are the small but statistically significant number of schools in I-AA football that are better than the majority of I-A schools basically every year. You'd just be making that number bigger and the I-A schools would look sillier losing to them.

I'm saying the important schools wouldn't be able to play those schedules because the option wouldn't exist. There would be no Ohio, Temple, and Navy for Penn State to have played this year. And let's be realistic: if you're not a superpower or at least a BCS conference member already, you're not going to be turning into one. Since, oh, 1985...who is a power now that wasn't one then. Nobody, really. Utah and TCU came up. Maybe Boise State too. TCU was a SWC team too, so its more like they just came back to what they used to be. Clinging to that .05% just leaves us with a lot of non-competitive football.

Yeah, James Madison, Montana, and Delaware are better than Kent State (most years). But for every one of those, it seems like Charlotte or UTSA is like "IA football woo!" knowing full well that they're just doing it to get four $650k games where they get their teeth kicked out. That's wrong. What would we, as the fans of the BCS conference teams, going to lose out on if there's no more New Mexico State, Idaho, and South Alabama?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Badfinger posted:

I'm a University of Delaware grad, so we are not talking on equivalent terms here v:shobon:v (My girlfriend and some family went to PSU and I root for them). You're looking it as an exclusive sport and I'm looking at it as a inclusive collegiate sport. The fans and players of New Mexico State, Idaho, and South Alabama all lose out, that's who.

It is an exclusive sport. IA teams can only play so many IAA teams and no D2 and D3. IAA teams can only play so many D2 teams. And so on. If your team plays on a different talent level, like Slippery Rock, you don't get to play Michigan. Sorry Idaho. Zeppelin hangar and loving your team is great, but you just can't compete.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sounds like Clinton Portis.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Before it turned out that he was evil, Joe Paterno filled out his own ballot.

He once tried to put three teams at #1, so they took away his vote.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

RIP Wales Conference and Campbell Conference

patrick division for life

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Every once in a while, the loser shirts show up in the US.

A few years ago, a Salvation Army in the Akron area had a bunch of Ohio State national champs shirts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to pretend they'd be really fancy like an old timey stock certificate

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Comfortador posted:

I wonder if they tell them. Is there a future Slumdog Millionaire style kid who has all the wrong Super Bowl winners memorized?

I've theorized that they've put it together.

Like let's say the Ravens go to the Super Bowl next year and lose. All the shirts would say BACK TO BACK CHAMPS.

But no back to back champs shirts exist for, say, the Bills.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Read Meat Market, find a video of Coach O actually talking, and then realize that the video could be a documentary for all we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

And if you're the Redskins a guy with a rake just stirs the dirt up.

Heinz Field just spreads some sand, kitty litter, and grass clippings and calls it a day.

• Locked thread