Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is kinda a dumb question but has there ever been a majorly successful punt defense? Like, in the sense of has anyone ever gotten back there and taken down the kicker? I always see it and kinda wonder what the purpose of it is other than maybe stopping a fake out?

Absolutely. Can't think of a specific time though. I remember seeing a guy that got a high snap and needed an extra second to deal with it and got totally blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

I think some of the lower tier bowls have Sunday games from time to time, but its usually due to logistics over competition and such.

I wonder if there will be under the table pushback from the NFL if the NCAA playoff ever starts to creep deeper into January and NFL playoff season.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Safe Word posted:

In this case it makes sense because "HOU" would have been the Oilers in their datasets. Similarly other teams that moved/renamed are that way because of the same thing.

Then why not TEX which...is just plain more obvious.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Years ago, I saw Owens Eagles jerseys in JC Penney at buy one get one free for $5.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always thought that was stupid.

I went to bowl games to go to Bowl Games. I don't give a poo poo if there's...anything other than a place to sleep and a bowl game.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

It seems like you should realize by this point that you should voluntarily remove yourself from conversations about what the average fan might do. Warm places in January and February are (seeimgly) obviously a nice idea for fans, although I admit the Super Bowl should be a big enough event to overcome that.

I dunno, I didn't feel like I was being Old Sash when I went to the Outback Bowl. 95 south the day before the game was Penn State and West Virginia cars heading to Tampa and Jacksonville, the next day was the same thing going back north. Those games could have been in Ocala and Waldo for all it seemed that people stayed around town.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Sports journalists whine a whole lot for people who have a pretty cool loving job.

I have to write words about sports with little oversight on "facts" or anything, its so hard!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My football dream is to see the unfair act called.

So close.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Nearly every school has an assistant of some stripe do the poll for them. I don't know of any coaches who consider it a productive use of their time on a Sunday.

Paterno claimed to have, but he was also a dinosaur. Then he stopped voting when he tried to submit a ballot with more than one team ranked #1 in 2004 and they said you can't do that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DOOP posted:

Or the fact most computer polls are secretive and there's no oversight to see if the formulas make a lick of sense. The guy programming the computer is (theoretically) capable of inputting whatever crazy formula into it with little drawback.

This poll is suspicious because Carnegie Mellon is ranked #1

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Players are allowed to do it, but teams aren't allowed to videotape coaching staff/the sidelines to steal signs (and this is why practices are closed). If a player cracks your code, your code was probably too simple anyways.

Unsurprisingly this happened to Penn State once and it turns out the result is hilarious.

Turns out you win 6-4.

If I remember right, at the time, plays would be transmitted by holding up what was basically a spiral bound notebook of laminated pages. Page color indicated what unit was supposed to be on the field and a large number on the sheet was the play. It would have a number like 24. But it was really 2-4, which meant formation #2 play #4. It was...pretty easy to figure out over time.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 5, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tennessee and Washington don't have income tax either, but it doesn't seem like the Titans, Seahawks, Cowboys, Texas, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Buccaneers are getting any sort of competitive edge from tax structures. For one, most of those teams have even awful for a long time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wasn't being entirely serious :ssh:

Otherwise, we'd be talking about Dan Snyder and his eight rings

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ohio-Pitt ended that way in, oh, 2005 I think it was. I remember it well because a friend of mine was at the game and left in the fourth quarter before it was tied then missed hilarious OT.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=252520195

Yep, 2005

Sash! fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 12, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's an Islanders fan?

Is he also Bigfoot? Because that's how rare those are.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is the Pro Football Hall of Fame worth doing? I'm going to visit my brother on a long weekend later this summer and Canton's on the way. Is it actually neat or does it fall into "oh so...that was not worth $23" territory? Bear in mind that I am a dork and love museums.

Also, $23 geez, but I guess it's like $25 to go to the top of 30 Rock and be like "ok so that's what NYC looks like from very high up."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KettleWL posted:

I dont know poo poo about the PF HoF, but I can tell you the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame sure as poo poo isn't worth it. But that isn't anywhere close to answering your question.

Actually, I'm staying in Cleveland like...six blocks from there, so that will probably keep me from doing that. It's not something I'd thought of doing, but the temptation would be there with it being so close to the hotel.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

The 23$ is worth it just to go in and write "needs buttfumble exhibit" on the comments cards.

On one hand, that's a good joke thing and, on the other, "comedy in football" would be pretty great for an exhibit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

College football should go to Canton as well considering they're basically just the minor league.

That's in Atlanta

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A thought occurred to me:

Back in the days when you could tie in college ball, how common was 'playing for the tie?' Did ties negatively impact teams in the polls?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trin Tragula posted:

unless the guy climbs the posts and turns it into an unfair act.

Want to see that.

Is it actually against the rules anywhere that says "don't go climbing the goalpost" or is that one of those blanket things like "don't drive a car on the field" that's so against the rules that its not even codified.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is there any rule against the H-type goal posts? I know that a handful have them, but I don't know if they're some sort of exception.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neat. Guess that also explains Idaho and it's almost Arena style goal posts too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Raku posted:

This seems a lot safer for the athletes.

I suggest you look at a picture facing the other way

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yeah, there's like...no space at all back there. Running into the post isn't a problem. The wall that's like seven feet from the backline is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OperaMouse posted:

Are there limits on the amount teams can spend on coaches, trainers, consultants, etc, both in $ and the amount of personnel they can hire?
What about NFL and NCAA?

A college can theoretically spend all the money if they wanted to, but they can only have 13 total coaches: 1 head coach, 9 assistant coaches, 2 graduate assistants, and a S&C coach. Virtually everyone does two or three tasks, as a result. The rules also mention that you can have limitless undergraduate coaches, but I have no idea what that actually means.

This is FBS, though. Other levels have other rules.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

$71 million is very little, when you're practically bringing in close to a billion a year and then spending it on...whatever they spend money on.

Although my perception of big amounts of money has been permanently distorted after working on NASA's budget for the last three years. We put the decimal point at "million."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What's the reasoning between the NCAAF "clock stops on the first down until the ball is marked ready" and the NFL "clock just runs."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its also boring to be on the winning end of it. You disengage kill mode when you're basically savaging a corpse.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

wheez the roux posted:

Running up the score on Idaho was also Extremely Satisfying

Are you the sort of dude that would dunk on a ten year old, then shove him and yell "suck it, bitch" because that's basically what running up the score on Idaho is

I can barely conceptualize the idea of an NFL team running up the score because the loser is still relatively capable. Since 1966, there's only 13 games that crossed the 50+ MOV line. Ohio State and Penn State alone combined for 15 games like that in the same timeframe.

Of course, the other major concern is the question of "at what point are you in permanent in the lead, and therefore anything beyond that is running up the score?" I think that once you're 28 points its unlikely that you're going to blow that completely and once you cross 35 its almost impossible to lose.

Oh, and the game is definitely over when the losing team starts putting backups because those guys definitely aren't going to stop you

Sash! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

well you do get to do it once to teach the kid what life is like

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

How come the center can move his head around and stuff and that doesn't count as a false start because it looks like it is

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish there was some sort of way to do live tests of rules changes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember they tested the four point range-based field goal in NFL-E.

There's three rules I'd love to see them test over a whole season to see how it changed things (or didn't, as it were):

1) Field Goals varying based on distance (one point per 10 yards distance)
2) Safeties vary based on distance (based on the most recent line of scrimmage on first down). A safety that required a loss of less than five yards is 2 points, 10 is 3, etc.
3) the "4th and 15" onside kick replacement concept

Even a simple preseason test isn't going to produce much in the way of viable experimentation. You'd need almost a season's worth of live action that matters.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trin Tragula posted:

About five years ago we did a "silly rule changes" thread and someone suggested it should work the other way round - you should get four points for a field goal if the ball was snapped/kicked inside the 20/25/30 and three points for long field goals. They had this really well-thought-out line of reasoning about how it'd completely change the dynamics of when you go for it and when you kick, and I wish I could find it again because it absolutely made sense.

Sounds like we should have that thread again

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You drop ten guys into coverage and you have your fastest corner available blitz until he has to put a running back in at QB.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

JPrime posted:

I'd like to imagine an OL forming a protective circle around their QB if they had no DL rushing them. :D

They do in the video games. Its pretty funny.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Everyone has always been a horrible monster. They were just way better at not showing it back in the old days.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've never understood the pictures of HAMSTER VOLCANO CHUCK NORRIS GUITAR DON DRAPER LIQUOR BOTTLE playcalling boards that are in fashion..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Knowing the exact play is almost impossible.

Unless you were a fan of Penn State between 2003 and 2010. Then you and everyone else on the field knew exactly what was about to happen.

In the legendary 6-4 game, Iowa's defensive line was telling the PSU offensive line what the play was before the snap :v:

• Locked thread