Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also the Skins ownership is awful and I'm pretty sure Dan Snyder writes DAN SNYDER GRIFFIN inside a heart in his notebook during team meetings, which is why RGIII is still around despite clearly being your standard great in college Heisman winner that isn't in the NFL any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

depending on how much you like the previously working class thing the Steelers logo is actually the same as US Steel (or at least used to be, I have no idea if they've changed), which once was the biggest thing in the world in Pittsburgh before the industry fell apart.

The Steelmark is owned by the American Iron and Steel Institute and is supposed to be a marketing logo for steel as a material. Republic Steel in Cleveland(!) gave the Steelers the idea to put it on their helmets. For trademarking reasons, the Steelmark has an orange astroid and the Steelers logo has a red one. When I was a kid, we had a vacuum cleaner with a steel body that had the Steelmark on it and I often wondered where my mom found a Steelers vacuum.

You may notice I called it a vacuum cleaner and that I use it to vacuum the carpet, not a "sweeper" that I "run" to "redd up" because my parents worked very hard to make me not a yinzer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's a hilarious list of former players.

A president, vice president, and some rappers!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trin Tragula posted:

You're into unfair acts territory there.

Ah, the holy grail

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The whole system is a big zany in the first place anyhow. Observe these quarterbacks that Penn State has had:

2013-2015: Christian Hackenberg, 5* and #2 Pro-Style QB prospect. Aside from a good 2013 season was mediocre at best. Never won more than 7 games in a season.
2011-2012: Matt McGloin, unrated walk-on. After a rough start, turned out to be way better than you'd think, holds four team records and briefly served as Raiders starting QB. Went 8-4 in 2012, with several upsets, in a season that lots of people expected to be horrible.
2010-2011: Robert Bolden, 4* and a top ten QB with all the major recruiting sites. Was horrible, ended up as fourth string QB at LSU, and they tried to make him a WR. Eventually wound up at Western Michigan. Went 7-6 in 2010.
2008-2009: Daryll Clark, 3*. Won Big Ten Championship in 2008 and held five team records when he graduated. Beat out 4* and top five prospect Pat Devlin for starting job (Devlin never saw significant time and transferred to Delaware.) Went 22-4 as a starter.
2006-2007: Anthony Morelli, 5* and GOOD GRAVY the best ever on paper. Was an Elite 11 QB. Never really turned the corner and ended up being a serviceable, but not good, QB. 18-8 as a starter.
2005: Michael Robinson, couldn't even find what he was, but given his high school career he may have been 4*. Saw lots of action in 2003 and 2004, but wasn't starter and even played RB and WR as needed. Won the Big Ten championship (11-1 as full time starter), had a modest NFL career, went to the Pro Bowl once, caught a touchdown pass in a Super Bowl, has a ring.

Most of that is the opposite of what the stars would have suggested!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

You're making Bolden sound better than he was--he actually ended up at EASTERN Michigan.

Ha, that's right. I legit feel bad for the guy. He flopped so bad, but Paterno wouldn't pull him and look like he'd made a mistake in starting him over Kevin Newsome (who was fairly highly rated as I recall). Then he tried to transfer and they wouldn't release him. The Sandusky stuff was the only reason he was allowed to escape, but it was far too late for him by then. Newsome left too and I have no idea what happened to him.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DOOP posted:

what was Zack Mills

a collective fever dream. Zack Mills never happened

Wouldn't his recruiting stuff be from, like, 1999? We'd need an actual paper magazine for that!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Fun fact: General William T. Sherman burned Atlanta in the Civil War, then became the first superintendent of Louisiana State University. That's a pretty good hook for Atlanta fans to hate New Orleans.

Other way around. He was at LSU, they asked him to join the CSA, and he went "no you guys are going to lose."

Then gave a personal demonstration of how.

Actually, what's amazing is he predicted, before the war started, exactly how it would play out. He was brilliant.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What is the logic behind counting a sack as lost passing yards in the NFL? It presupposes that the tackle behind the line defeated a pass in the first place, when there's not really any way to tell if the QB was actually running a pass play.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The obvious answer is Washington, because as far as I know, no other NFL teams use a slur as their team name.

Yet seem to have an overwhelmingly African-American fanbase.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why does the first pick in the draft still use all their time on the clock? What are they doing in those minutes that they didn't do in the weeks beforehand?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kalli posted:

Historically it's been LT, though over the last, say, decade, the other positions have gained some relative standing in comparison.

Also historically Center was where the worst lineman physically could be. However, in most systems, the center is responsible for calling out blocking assignments, so tended to need to be the most studious of the game.

So the answer is: it's still left tackle, simply because the required physical skillset is just so rare in comparison.

This made me curious to look at the HoF list because I thought there might be more centers than anything else, but nope tackles.

Was amazed to see that the Steelers had a HoF center from 1974 to 2000 and two of them on the roster at the same time. Crazy!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FIRST TIME posted:

Also, can a teammate yank the ball carrier up by his jersey or arm if he's about to fall? I can't seem to find any rule about this.

I can't imagine it would be legal. That's the whole sort of thing they got rid of back in the people keep dying and Teddy Roosevelt is pissed days. Yanking a guy on your own team around so he doesn't go down seems very "mass play."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Skwirl posted:

They'll probably be the dominant teams of the 2050's.

Like the Browns will be able to keep a QB healthy even in the simulated world of neural networked cyberfootball.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

You're supposed to be aware of breast cancer now. If you aren't, you need to watch more football.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

you're telling me there's such a thing a breast cancer? poo poo, I must have lived under a literal rock these last 35 years of my life!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kalli posted:

Once the refs hosed the Cleveland Browns over so badly that the fans started pelting the field with bottles, and the refs called the game, and then the commissioner forced them to play it out so the Jaguars had to go out while being pelted with poo poo and kneel down.

So theoretically you could rain down upon the refs or opposing players / coaches with slimy dildos and there's a chance they'd have to keep going with the game.

Such cheaters deserved to have to endure the bottle storm

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ah yes, the era of the unbuttoned polo and high waists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Benne posted:

There's also situations where the QB throws an interception, the defender fumbles, and the offense gets the ball back, but at that point we're getting into Football Follies territory where it's gonna look weird on the box score no matter what.

2nd and 6 at ALA 16 - Robert Bolden pass complete to Chaz Powell, fumbled, forced by Robert Lester, recovered by Alab Robert Lester at the Alab 9, Robert Lester for 89 yards, fumbled, recovered by PnSt at the PnSt 2, to the PnSt 2, tackled by Robert Lester.

The ESPN stat line fails to mention that Chaz Powell is the PSU player that picked up the fumble on the 2. But, Alabama fumbled somewhere around the 15 and another Alabama player fumbled the recovery. The drive started on the PSU 23, got to the Alabama 9, restarts at the PSU 2, ends in a punt at the PSU 14 in six minutes time. Its one of the strangest sequences I've ever seen in a football game.

• Locked thread