Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

McKracken posted:

The basic idea is misdirection, the backfield action is specifically meant to look similar on all plays of a particular series (series of plays as part of the playbook, not a series of offensive possessions on the field) and this makes it very difficult for a defense to get a good read on the play and keeps each defender guessing as to who has the ball.

As for the moment, I'd say the trademark plays (or at least the ones ran most frequently and most effectively) would be the jet sweep, option, dive and trap, although these are plays that could be run by any offense, and the trap is pretty much one of the most fundamental running plays in football.

I agree with what Hero said of the similarities between the Wing T and Wildcat. If you look at the Dolphins, a lot of the success of their wildcat plays is predicated on misdirection in the backfield and blocking schemes similar to the wing.

I can attempt to put together a more substantial Wing T write up in a future post, I have 5 years of playing experience in a Wing system and 2 years of coaching experience, but I don't have the time at the moment to write up a huge post.

Here is a good article on the wildcat in the meantime. http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/jets-at-dolphins-how-the-wildcat-works/

Thanks for this. The wing-t is something to behold when it's run well. My high school team was a perennial champion until they ran into a Fresno team that ran the wing-t. Watching from the bleachers it was like Three Card Monty; you never had any loving idea who had the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see it asked, so would somebody explain how the spread works for betting on games? Is it how much the favored team will win by? Is "betting against the spread" the same as betting for the underdog? Does "covering" mean the favorite team wins by at least that much?

The spread is the amount of points you must give up if you bet on the favorite or the number of points you get if you are betting on the underdog.

Betting against the spread is just betting with the spread in play. It's to differentiate merely predicting the winner of a game from predicting it with the spread. So if Pittsburgh is favored by 3.5 points over Baltimore, betting against the spread would be picking Pittsburgh but giving up 3.5 points, or betting on Baltimore and getting 3.5 points. Not betting the spread ("straight up") would be just picking who you think is going to win the game.

Covering means you bet against the spread and won basically. If you picked Pittsburgh in the above scenario, and they won by four or more, they covered. If you picked Baltimore and they either won or lost by less than 3.5, they covered.

• Locked thread