Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Dumb as this sounds having just got Madden 2016 in the EA PS4 sale purely on a nostalgia vibe ( the first Madden was my favourite game on the Genesis as a kid) I've got the strangest urge to get back in to watching football. I'm a Brit and the last time I was massively into football Joe Theismanns leg break broke my heart and The Fridge and the Bears were all anyone talked about. Now I look at the NFL and I don't recognise half the teams let alone the players. Who do I support? The Steelers were always my back up team after the Redskins but reading the OP I might feel like a glory hunter if I started supporting them. And the Redskins apparently suck now, the name is apparently slightly problematic now and red ain't my colour ( too close to Manchester United). Oh well will have to get watching next season and see who takes my fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

As one of the few other UK posters here, might I suggest the crushing disappointment of the Buffalo Bills.

Cuz the Steelers QB is a rapist and the Washington owner is a racist and a dick.

I do crushing disappointment well being British and a West Ham fan. You make a convincing case.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Mystic Stylez posted:

What team do you support in soccer? Let's try to draw a dumb parallel.

e:f;b - Pick the Bills, the Browns or the Lions

j/k pick whatever you find cool/good except the Patriots and the Steelers.

West Ham. I love dumb parallels. Go for it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm not an expert on "not the biggest" english teams (I mostly watch brazilian soccer, aka the best sport). I remember that West Ham had a pretty decent squad in the 60s, prior to the 66 World Cup? Then the New York Jets. It's also a pretty disappointing franchise so you'll be at home!

Bang on. We provided the most important players to the 66 England team and won't ever shut up about it despite having won close to gently caress all ever since.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

^^--Raiders is another option along those lines but they might actually be getting good again. Well the Jets are somewhat promising themselves I guess, but the Raiders have a QB.

Let's see, yeah this isn't in the archives yet. Someone with the same question asked a while back, you can read some responses there or bump it if you have your own questions.

Can't do West Coast. Rap/Thrash in the 80s was always East coast for me.

Will have a read of that thread. Cheers.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Plus as a Brit the word Patriots gives me the wobbles. I'm not ready to wave little flags yet. It's definitely got to be a team on East side of USA because time zone wise following matches might be a bit easier. I did also consider the Atlanta Falcons as I spent a very drunk and fun weekend there in mid 90s.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Falcons would be a good call, because Eastern, a world-class player in Julio Jones, yet also crushing misery.

At least they get to be the 1 in the (soon to be) 18-1 Panthers.

I've never heard of the Titans before. I did spend a month in Memphis just before I hit Atlanta. I managed to get mugged in my first week. Not sure if that endears Tennessee to me or not.

Just read this in a Deadspin article about the Falcons

quote:

The Falcons are the type of a team that will put up 50 and look like an actual contender for a Super Bowl in one week, and then in the very next week will play like they stole some players off the Georgia State roster.

That does sound uncannily like my soccer team, West Ham...

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 7, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Falcons started this season 6-0 and looked like they finally turned a corner...then lost all but one of the rest of their games. The only team they beat were the Panthers, who are now likely to win the Super Bowl.

Saying that out loud makes me realize how loving WEIRD the Falcons are in terms of ability.

Again that sounds like West Ham. We are usually in top half of the EPL then we come down faster than the Xmas decorations by January.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Definitely going Falcons. Been watching season highlights this evening, and I'm liking their whole plucky underdog who sometimes play like world beaters then other times like they've never seen a football before. This is definitely my poo poo.

Plus their shirts cool and their stadium looks like R2 D2's anus.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Do I have any songs to learn about shoving flags up his arse? Are these people more civil than English soccer fans?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

That's cool, I'm quite interested in the American Civil War and I knew about the Atlanta burning thing.
Stayed up late and watched the Super Bowl last night. Watching the Broncos rekindled my past memories of hating them when Elway was the QB. The presentation of MVPs also made me feel old as gently caress as some of my past heroes like Riggins and Montana were wheeled out and were old men and then I realised last time I was heavily into NFL was the mid 198Os.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I definitely made the right choice deciding on Falcons as my team. It was just like watching West Ham. Really enjoyed watching my first full game in probably 25 years, despite the piss poor result.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Benne posted:

I remember seeing Mike Holmgren on there a few years back and was like drat, has his reputation plummeted so far that he can't even get a studio pundit gig in America? ESPN hands those out like candy to any semi-notable name.

Also the Sky Sports feed taught me that the "British American Football League" is a thing that exists. I can only assume it's filled with randos who weren't good enough for rugby.

Yeah it's exactly how we used to think of pro soccer in the US a few years back.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Benne posted:

I'm kinda curious as to what the level of coaching is actually like for an start-up league like the BAFL playing a foreign sport. Do they try to bring in American coaches with at least some semblance of experience coaching American college/high schools? Or is it all amateurs top-to-bottom who learned the game from Madden or whatever?

I'm not even sure we have many football fields in the UK. Im not sure I've ever seen one. I've no idea where any of these amateur teams play. I'm assuming rugby pitches?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I was watching the Falcons Broncos game and the commentators kept going on about the Broncos QB being new to the huddle, not being used to it. I'm assuming it's something to do with the difference between college/NFL in terms of tactics but could someone explain.

Also my choice of Falcons as my team is working well. I'm used to crushing disappointment as a West Ham fan. Is this coming some time soon or are they really looking as good as they seem to my uncultured British eyes ?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Benne posted:

Obviously every system is different, but a lot of college teams these days run some kind of up-tempo offense, where instead of huddling up the players move quickly to the line and get their playcall from sideline signals (this is the reason for all the wacky picture signs that TV cameras love showing). Paxton Lynch played in that kind of system at Memphis, so the more conventional NFL style of calling plays in the huddle will likely be an adjustment period for him.

OK that makes sense. Never watched any college football so thats passed me by. Im very new to all this.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

v2vian man posted:

the falcons are pretty middle of the road

You obviously have never watched West Ham. Middle of the road suits me fine. Nothing worse than a glory hunting new fan.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've done a bad thing and bought a knock off aliexpress jersey. How disappointed am I going to be? Anyone else bought a fake before and what were they like?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

fartknocker posted:

It's buried on page three, but check through the jersey thread if you want some idea/pictures of what you may end up with.

Short version is it can be kind of a crap shoot, but they usually end up pretty well, such as these Eagles uniforms 89 ordered or a silly Giants throwback I bought that I liked more than the official ones (With better stitching to boot). There are others in the thread that are also pretty good if you wanna dig through it. You can sometimes end up with something with bad stitching or colors or whatever, but usually for the price ($25 to $50) it's not a big deal compared to $100 to $300 for official stuff that can have the exact same problems anyway.

Cheers. I carefully looked at what was on offer compared to the official release ( Falcons Jones elite shirt in black ) and 28$ compared to 240 seemed a reasonable gamble. The pics of the fakes if indicative of what I receive seem ok. Plus I'm in the UK. No fucker will know the difference here

EDIT- well this has worked out well- the store I ordered from has vanished! Payment still processing but no idea if I will get my stuff.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 10, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

Why do US sports look list a percentage stat and then not display it as a percentage?

I've used GoogleJerseys for years and never had an issue. I've never owned an authentic jersey so I can't directly compare but I can seem to see any floors apart from maybe some stitch ends that can be trimmed off with a pair of scissors. The domain seems to change every month but the email communications with the guy that runs it are good (if not full of hilarious Engrish)

http://www.google-jerseys.cc/

The jersey from the disappeared store on aliexpress turned up and in really pleased with it I posted some pics in the jersey thread. There's a couple of areas of dodgy stitching on close scrutiny but nothing that worries me. Still awaiting the other shirt I ordered from Jenna store though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I was thinking the exact same thing watching some footage from the 80s yesterday. The players looked like they had a couch rammed up their jerseys.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Gonna be quoting my post from last February if the Falcons win the Super Bowl to prove I'm not a glory hunter. What a season and cheers for the people who recommended I pick Atlanta as my team.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Barudak posted:

Don't worry, nobody else in the NFC south is gonna forget it.

LOL

Just reading my first posts in this thread from last February, when I decided to pick the Falcons and was warned crushing disappointment was in store.

Oddly prescient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Going to my first NFL match this weekend in London. Very excited even though it's the Jags. We Brits love a plucky under dog right?

• Locked thread