Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I only got into football during the 2008 season, so I'm glad to see a thread like this. I'm sure I'll have plenty of random rear end questions to contribute, like this one:

Why is operating out of the shotgun considered more of a primarily college style offense? I can see the value in a QB being able to quickly read the defense and pass the ball from under center, but what do you lose by taking a shotgun snap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

BlackJosh posted:

Pick a team that doesn't have a superbowl yet (The Vikings are clearly the best from my completely objective point of view).
I got into football, and the New Orleans Saints the year before they won their first super bowl. I got to skip the decades of frustrating losses, but got on board JUST early enough to not be a bandwagoner. I'd say as a fan, I beat the system.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

What are the most important qualities for different defensive position players to have?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

WombBroom posted:

Please understand that this is the most basic breakdown I could do and there are numerous hybrids, exceptions and other things that must be taken into consideration from team to team, year to year, and even play to play. I hope it helps to answer your question.
Thanks man, this is awesome. I know it was a pretty general question, so I definitely appreciate you taking the time to type all that.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I like making dumb lists, so I've broken down the league into a few categories for someone who wants to pick a team to root for.

1. The Up and Comers
It's fun to start following a team who isn't terrible, but still has some improvements to make. When you invest a little time in watching your team grow, it makes it that much more satisfying when they get a major win. This might also be a team who has been enjoying success for the last few years after decades of despair.
    Houston Texans
    New Orleans Saints
    San Diego Chargers
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Tennessee Titans

2. The Underdogs
Ok, maybe you'd rather pick a team with even farther to go? You probably liked the beginnings of sports movies like Little Giants when the characters all still suck, and then you get kinda bored when they start clicking as a team 45 minutes in. That's fine though, the NFL has plenty of fixer-uppers with nowhere to go but up!
    Washington Redskins
    Buffalo Bills
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Detroit Lions
    St. Louis Rams
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Seattle Seahawks
    Cleveland Browns

3. The Villains
All the girls love a bad boy. You might like rooting for a team that most everyone else loves to hate.
    New England Patriots
    New York Jets
    Dallas Cowboys
    Oakland Raiders
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Atlanta Falcons

4. The Superstars
You may get called a bandwagoner by some, but you'll always enjoy watching your dominant, consistently solid team rack up wins, and usually hit the playoffs.
    Minnesota Vikings
    Green Bay Packers
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Indianapolis Colts
    Baltimore Ravens

Doppelganger fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 7, 2010

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I wasn't done with the list, when did I hit the post button?! Sorry to everyone who felt left out, your turn is coming shortly.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Ehud posted:

Is this an all-time list, last 10 years, what to expect this year? I'm trying to figure out how the Saints at up and comers while the Ravens are superstars :confused:
Well I figured the Ravens have been a mostly strong team since they began, while the Saints only started getting good 5 years ago.

Ok moving on with the list...

5. The Household Names:
Whether they happen to be doing poorly or are on fire, teams like these have enough of a storied history to drum up interest wherever they go. These are great teams if you like historical rivalries.

New York Giants
    Miami Dolphins
    San Francisco 49'ers
    Chicago Bears

6. The Quarterback Quandaries:
This is more of a category pertaining to the immediate present. If you like uncertainty and struggles at the QB position, give these guys a look!
    Arizona Cardinals
    Denver Broncos
    Carolina Panthers

I also meant to put the Atlanta Falcons in the villain category, because gently caress them. I'm not really sure where to put the Tennessee Titans though, up and comers maybe?

Doppelganger fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 7, 2010

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

I guess category 7 is

7. The Cleveland Browns:

God help you.
WTF I thought I had them as underdogs!

I'm such a failure at listmaking :smith:

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Dexo posted:

I would move the Bears into the Household Names. Our QB situation is pretty good for the time being and for the foreseeable future. Or Make a section called "Teams that will turn you to alcoholism"
Word. Some teams are really hard to generalize right now because there are so many unanswered questions until the season starts.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

How can you tell if a receiver is a bad route runner? I always hear people talk about how well players do in this area, but I don't understand how you could know that unless you studied their playbook.

edit: Here's a more packed question, but if anyone's up to the task I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know more about audibles and playcalling, particularly some basic strategies. Would anyone be willing to maybe mspaint a basic offense and defense formation, explain what the QB might think when he sees the defense's formation, and then post how the QB would shift his guys around?

Doppelganger fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 7, 2010

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

So who hosed up there?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Would somebody mind breaking down the wildcat formation for me? I've tried to understand it on my own but I feel like I'm not completely getting it.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

nnnAdam posted:

Helmet visors are badass. I understand why they banned them, but I still don't like it.
Why was it? Players complaining about glare or something?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

ThatOtherGuy posted:

I was never hit there under a pile, but I did have a few jerkoffs take some swats at my junk during plays. I played offensive and defensive line so there was always body parts and fists flailing everywhere. I know a few times it was on purpose though.

It was okay though cause one of those times I blindsided the fucker a few plays later.
At least in football they cheat like normal people. In wrestling, we were always wary of teams who were known for "oil checking" :gonk:

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Why do quarterbacks always seem to put a hat on when they're on the sidelines?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I assumed they were some kind of mics, but I like to pretend they're for reflecting sound waves just to gently caress with everyone.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Is the phrase "We have this (name)" from anything specific, or did it just evolve from nothing?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I watch the ball, because I never really understand what's up with the lineman other than "they're gonna slam into each other".

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

What does a general manager do?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

One thing I hear people talk about sometimes is how good of a route runner somebody is. How do people gauge this? It's not like we can look up the playbook or anything.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I was wondering if I'd asked that before.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Is there an actual origin to "no respect" or is it just a generic attitude?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

What are those fanny-pack things for, just to keep their hands warm?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

McKracken posted:

That is their exact purpose. This is why they're called hand-warmers.
I knew that, which is why I called them "fanny pack things".

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I hear a lot about how many carries an RB gets per game. What's considered high and low in this respect? I'd also like to know the same thing about QBs and passes. I've been trying to get a better understanding of how long it takes for these guys to get tired, and I'm sure this has a lot to do with it.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Can anyone other than the head coach or QB call a timeout?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Jeez, who did you piss off?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I'm interested in learning more about runningbacks. I hear different labels like "powerback" and "every down back". Are there more than just these two? What qualities are most important to the different roles? Who would be good examples of these categories?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I realize nobody here is an NFL coach or coordinator, but when a play is called, is it more to do with what you're trying to accomplish, or trying to anticipate the other side's move? Or, some healthy balance of both?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

What's a good way to learn to identify good quarterbacking? I mean footwork, mechanics, all that stuff.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Who is Lawfirm, and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Where does "turn left nooo" come from?

• Locked thread