Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Quiet Feet posted:

Real Edit: Complete tangent here: What is the benefit to rotating your defensive lineman/running backs? Is it just to keep guys fresh, or is there something else I'm missing here?
I can't speak for d-linemen, but I know some running back switches are for more than just fresh legs. I'll use Wisconsin as my example. John Clay, the feature back / Heisman dark horse is good for 25+ carries a game. Montee Ball will usually come in as his relief. Both are more the 'power' running back. But, when it's a 2nd or 3rd and long, usually Zach Brown will come in. He's more of a slasher type, but where he's most useful is as another blocker for protecting the QB, especially when the defense blitzes. Even though Brown is 40 lbs lighter than John Clay, he's significantly better at slowing down the pass rusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

spe posted:

Also is arena football worth watching in the offseason?
Live, it can be a blast. Last summer I went to a Kansas City Whateverthefucks game, and it was so poorly attended that we moved to midfield at the first row. The impact of watching live football so close that one of your buddy's can get a busted lip when someone's helmet flies off can not be more awesome.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

All of this information is correct. Also worth mentioning is that the NFL tracks yards after catch (YAC) to give credit to receivers doing all the hard work after the lazy quarterback throws a swing pass.

This is about a college football game, but here's a really nice look at how this is important to remember.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I remember hearing about a safety caused by the offense lining up to punt without a punter.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I believe one of the advanced stat places - probably Football Outsiders - keeps track of points scored by starting field position. I think your own 20 is around 1 point, your own 1 is -1, their 40 might be 4.2. It would be a short hop from that to finding out if a team over or underperformed given their starting field position, which would actually make sense for comparing team to team rankings. Is this ringing a bell with anyone?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Just watch a ton of football at first. The gameday threads put up the least you need to know about who's playing each game. Eventually, you'll find some player / offensive or defensive style / close exciting win that makes you want to watch their game next week. That's your team.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

You probably shouldn't rely on your team winning a single-elimination tournament if you're planning on a trip that involves your passport anyway.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Eater.com just published a list of team bars in a bunch of major cities. I'd recommend picking one (Green Bay's because I'm biased) and watching it with a crowd that's really into that game, instead of something where all 6 or so are on at the same time. That way, the bar's sound will be on the game, and when people hear you explain you heard (bar) was the place to see (team) to really experience American football in a British accent you'll have to grow 5 hands to hold all your free drinks.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Here's Eater's guide to the best Chicago bars to watch your team's game at. Looks like your weekends are at Grand River.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Cole posted:

What's the fewest wins a team needs to make the playoffs in any possible scenario, not just this year? 4?

I guess I'm also asking the minimum number of wins to win the nfc south for the next few years.

What if a team miraculously went 0-0-16?

If an entire division went 3-13, someone would have to go.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Here's a solid explanation of what's going on.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Bill Connelly's book "Study Hall: College Football, Its Stats and Its Stories" is amazing. It's half "these are the schemes and strategies that are changing the game", half "these are the people and stories that are why we love college football."
If you search for "why we love college football study hall" you should find the first chapter.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

The defense, on the other hand, has no idea where the play is coming. Every player has to bust his rear end off the line on every play - and much of that effort is wasted as the play goes a different direction. If a guy dogs it for one play to catch his breath, he may be the man to block to spring a big play.

Baylor is a great example of this (midway down the page.)

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Although there's probably a half-dozen teams that would attempt to put radios in all helmets to gain an advantage but also put green stickers on 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pretty sure it would still be a sack if it was recovered by the offense. But I don't know if you can throw a recovered fumble.
Wisconsin scored a go-ahead touchdown reception on what could be considered a fumble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2xZZLppbM
Wisconsin would then lose because it was the '80s.

• Locked thread