Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

sc0tty posted:

Anyone want to do some sort of intro primer into Fantasy Football? These are pretty standard things so if there are decent ones available via yahoo or other fantasy sites than thats just as good.

FYI i'll be updated the OP tonight with the info that has been posted.

Babby's First Fantasy Football Primer

Fantasy Football involves players assembling a team of NFL players. Each week, your team scores points for things the players do in their real-life NFL games.

Teams are usually drafted - a draft order is agreed upon, and the players go in order, selecting players to be on their teams. Your league will have some rules on how many of each position you must have, and how many you may have maximum. Common wisdom dictates that RBs are the most consistent scorers, and so the early picks in most drafts will be RB-heavy. But that is starting to change as more and mroe leagues have different scoring systems or people begin to doubt the wisdom of RB-first. A common first round of a fantasy draft will be mostly RBs, with maybe a QB or a WR or two slipping in.

The size of the roster, and the number of starting players, varies. Generally, you will have more players on your roster than you can start, so each week you will select which of your players actually count. Your league will specify how many of each position (QB, RB, WR, TE, K, etc) must be active. Some leagues also have a "Flex" position, in which you may start one of several positions. This may allow you to start multiple quarterbacks, for example. A standard starting lineup would be 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 Def, though again, it will vary from league to league.

Scoring systems vary widely, but generally your players will score points for yardage, touchdowns, and sometimes things like receptions. They may lose points for throwing interceptions or fumbling. So in a scoring system where you get 1 point per 10 rushing yards, and 6 points for a TD, you could look at a statline, see that Chris Johnson ran for 130 yards and 2 TDs, and thus he would score 25 fantasy points.

Most leagues use team defenses - you get the defense for that team. So you would draft "Baltimore Ravens Defense", not "Ray Lewis". However, some leagues do draft Individual Defensive Players (IDP) instead, in which case you would select such players seperately, and they would have a scoring system of their own, usually based on tackles, sacks, interceptions, and other such plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Blackula69 posted:

That is a pretty hardcore injury to play through if that's true. Maybe AP has it too.

There's a spot you can hit AP which renders him momentarily mortal.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Larch posted:

I think we really need to all get on the same page with this. We need to pick one and stick with it. Is he All Day, or AD? or is he AP as per his initials. PJ is lame, even though he is clad in purple and displays running qualities that would make the messiah envious.

I vote for AP, but we need a consensus.

The "first initial, shortened last name" convention would result in him being "A-Pete".

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Everyone in the AFC West still hates the Raiders more.

The Raiders are the ultimate villains of the AFC West, AFC, and NFL. No one denies this.

Not the Raiders so much as just Al Davis.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Doppelganger posted:

Would somebody mind breaking down the wildcat formation for me? I've tried to understand it on my own but I feel like I'm not completely getting it.

The term "wildcat" is getting overused and becoming a generic term for any formation in which there is a direct snap to a player who is not normally a QB.

But the wildcat as used by the Dolphins was an unbalanced O-line (both tackles on one side), with a direct shotgun snap to Ronnie Brown, as Ricky Williams came sweeping across pre-snap in an end-around sort of motion. They would put the actual QB, Pennington, out as a WR, so he was still in the huddle and the defense coudln't tell it was a wildcat play until they actually lined up.

There were only like 4 plays they really ran from that formation: Handoff to Ricky on the sweep, fake the handoff to Ricky and Ronnie runs off-tackle on the side with 2 tackles, or fake the handoff and Ronnie runs a counter to the other side.

They passed out of it a few times, but it was never really a threat. Now that defenses know about the regular wildcat and can cheat for it, teams are starting to use it with personnel who CAN throw, so they have to re-adjust again.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

jeffersonlives posted:

That's well and good, but the Dolphins didn't invent the Wildcat and so attributing "what the Dolphins used in 2007" as the only correct definition of the formation is incorrect.

Oh certainly, the Dolphins didn't come close to inventing it. But when people ask "so whats this wildcat thing all about anyway?", they usually don't want a detailed history so much as an explanation of what the word means when they hear it on Monday Night Football or whatever.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
/\/\/\ Agreed, it's not that everything is better, its that everything LOOKS better because of HD presentation and better-looking uniforms and gear. Football uniforms in the 70s weren't designed to look cool.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Stuff about the WCO

The Blind Side goes into this as well. Basically, before Bill Walsh came along, people used to consider a 4-yard pass play to be a failure, while a 4-yard run play was a success. Which is dumb, because 4 yards is 4 yards and you still only need 10 to get a 1st down. So people didn't even bother with screen passes and short routes, except as distractions from the deep ball or safety valves. The concept of intending to throw a 5-yard out was just unheard of, basically.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 2, 2010

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

terrin posted:

I'm pretty sure noisemakers are banned at most (all?) NFL stadiums. Not sure about NCAA stadiums, but I've never seen them.

Right, but that's a stadium decision, not an NFL one.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tekopo posted:

So I ordered a Ravens jersey and it finally arrived, after only 3 months. I couldn't select the number and I couldn't find many places that shipped to my country, so I got number 23, McGahee. Is he any good? :ohdear:

He's pretty good. He's the #2 RB in Baltimore, though, because Ray Rice is amazing.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kalli posted:

It was called a personal foul anyway (though ruled not-illegal in the fining stage), then they just changed the rules anyway and it's illegal now regardless.

Why, because of the "defenseless receiver" thing? Does that not go away when the ball is tipped like other PI-type penalties do?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

Fouls against a defenseless player are completely different to pass interference, which is why it's a personal foul and it goes in a completely different bit of the rulebook. It's a player safety issue.

Oh, I get that. I just sort of thought that once the ball was tipped all the distinction between receivers and non-receivers was out the window.

And now that I look at the hit again, I don't think Welker was "defenseless" on that play at all. He wasn't airborne, and was looking where he was going for two full steps before he gets jacked up. I thought the definition of defenseless was that you were in a position where you CAN'T protect yourself (like in mid-air or looking back for the ball), not just that you DIDN'T protect yourself.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

Planet Rulebook's definition of a "defenseless player" includes the following two items.

It is a bit of a funny one because he kind of falls down the hole between the two definitions; he's just taken his concentration off the ball and is beginning to ease up, but he isn't "clearly relaxed" either. Thing is, that's the kind of hit that's on the way out of football and nobody will ever get dinged for calling it.

Hmm, seems I was wrong. Those basically make the definition of defenseless into "player who has chosen not to defend himself", rather than "player who is incapable of defending himself".

I like the latter much better as a definition. It's not Ryan Clark's fault that Welker gave up on the play while the ball was still in the air and he was still running a full-speed route over the middle. He shouldn't get penalized for a hit which would have been completely legal otherwise.

I wonder if the recent expansion of "defenseless receiver" will lead to MORE injuries, since now QBs can throw those dangerous passes and hang their WRs out to dry to draw fouls from overzealous defenders.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

NFL players can wear whatever colour visor they like

Are you sure about this? I think they changed it in recent years to require a medical waiver to wear a dark visor.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I also assume people were grandfathered in, because I know people like Vick and LT used dark visors well after 98, and I don't think either of them have any medical issues requiring it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

tk posted:

That is not badass. That's like when you were in elementary school and you wanted to get the lazer background on your school picture, but your mom made you get the standard blue because she was not an idiot.

You gonna tell me this kid isn't badass? HE HAS A MESH SHIRT AND LAZERS BEHIND HIM HELLO :colbert:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm sure someone somewhere would just love to start a pedantic debate about whether you were running Wing-T or double-wing...

That man is Bill Belichek.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

nous_ posted:

What does ISO (as in the running play) actually mean?

The play involves the fullback in one-on-one block on a linebacker (usually), coming through a particular gap, with the tailback following him.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kevyn posted:

Dumb question, but...

When the Randy Moss trade first broke, some people made jokes saying that the Pats were "lending" him to the Vikings just for the bye week / game against the Jets, and the Vikes were gonna trade him back after Monday's game for the same 3rd round pick.

Now obviously this isn't the case, but I'm just wondering if there's actual rules against teams making such an agreement? Because a move like that would be hilariously scumbaggish.

There are certainly rules against collusion between teams, but I'm not sure what the actual wording of the rules are. Trades also need to be approved by the NFL.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Dramatika posted:

"No, you can NOT trade Bernard Pollard to whomever is playing the Patriots for the first 6 weeks of the season"

Actually, this I think you could do. Usually, collusion rules boil down to "every trade must be at least reasonably in the best interests of both teams".

So Pats/Vikes can't just bounce Moss back and forth, because there's no reason to. You can't argue that the Pats are improving their team by both getting rid of AND getting back Moss, so the 2nd trade would probably get overturned.

However, trading Pollard from team A to team B to team C etc, would probably be legal, as long as each individual trade was legit on both sides. Still would never happen, but I don't think it would be illegal.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pron on VHS posted:

The NFL has contracts with companies that require players/coaches to wear that company's apparel on the sidelines. Not only does anything you wear have to be Reebok, but you also HAVE to wear it (I think).

You don't HAVE to wear a hat, but if you do it must be Reebok. Most QBs put on a hat because they have messy or stupid looking helmet-hair and they know they're on camera.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

Anyone know off the top of their head when it was that NFL players stopped having to have a summer job to make ends meet?

I remember watching a show about the strike-shortened 1982 season and players talking about how playing 5 less games was a serious blow to their personal finances, and caused several players to get other jobs in the meantime.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Private Snowball posted:

4.) Joe Webb was drafted in the 6th round and my friend said that was also the round Tom Brady was drafted. Is it because of the huge college system that the draft can be so good still in later rounds or are there just surprises? Are 1st round draft picks always good and NFL ready? Is there a certain number of years a rookie has to wait until they are ready? Suh was taken this year and he seemed pretty dominant on the field and with the fans affection.

It varies by position. QBs in particular are almost always crapshoots no matter when they're taken. 1st round QBs are guys with great measurables, great college careers, and are taken by teams desperate for a QB. There's nothing close to a guarantee that that will translate. Go look up Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. It's like buying a lottery ticket.

There's busts and late-round surprises at every position, but much less so. Suh, as a DT, was at a position where it was much easier to determine whether his skills and success in college would translate to the NFL. It was basically assumed that he would be great. He might have been a bust, but the chance was so small as to not even be considered by most scouts.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

The logic behind grounding only applying when the QB is under pressure is that the offense gains absolutely no advantage by choosing to waste a down, as long as it's not done to avoid an immediate loss of yardage.

There's quite a few, but they're all far more obscure. NFL only has one other, which is for an illegal forward pass or handoff (5 yards from the spot of the foul and loss of down). NCAA adds interlocking interference and assisting the runner to that category, and also has 15 yards and loss of down for illegally kicking or batting a loose ball, all of which in the NFL are 10 yards with no loss of down. Additionally and IIRC, in high school rules, offensive pass interference is 15 yards from the previous spot and loss of down, but don't quote me on that.

What is "assisting the runner"?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deteriorata posted:

Pushing, pulling, boosting up, or even picking him up and throwing him over a pile to help him gain yardage that he wouldn't be able to gain on his own.

You can't push the runner? People do that all the time, especially on QB sneaks.

The Bush Push was illegal?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deteriorata posted:

Technically, no, but it's almost never called unless it's egregious. Linemen will claim they were trying to block but in the mass of bodies ended up pushing the runner by mistake (true or not), so refs tend to let a lot of minor stuff go. Sort of like holding calls.

Now if somebody makes a stirrup out of their hands so the runner can leap up and over the line to get a first down or a lineman puts a RB on his shoulders and carries him down the field, it'll get called every time.

Is this also illegal in the NFL?

Does the helper have to be "active"? Or would it be legal for Joe Webb to run up his center's back and vault over the line?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I know that this is illegal on defense. I think I remember a game a few years ago where the Bucs (?) blocked a kick but they were called for "Leaping" when the guy who blocked the kick had used the NT as a boost and jumped up off his back.

I think it's only explicitly illegal when blocking a kick.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Is there an official statement on why personal fouls (like the one on Oregon in the 4th quarter last night) are never shown on the replay? Is there any way for me to find out what happened in that instance or in any other instance of a personal foul?

In the NFL they are shown all the time. The Haynesworth headstomp was practically on a 24-hour loop.

Now that I think of it I saw the Blount punch over and over too, so the NCAA doesn't have an explicit rule against it. Last night it may have just been that none of the cameras got a good shot of it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was reading an article and it mentioned that the Dolphins were given permission to talk to the Cowboys' QB or WR coordinator the other day. However, that person in question doesn't have a contract presently for next season. Is there a reason why the Dolphins would have to ask permission if a coach is no longer under contract? Seems a bit odd.

I would imagine it's because his contract extends until some specified point in the offseason, rather than just whenever the Cowboys' season is over. So right now, today, he's still under contract.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Oodles of Wootles posted:

I'm just wondering why them playing in the same stadium means that only one of them would be there at a time. Is there only one home locker room that gets cleaned out every week?

There are separate home locker rooms for the Jets and the Giants in the stadium. They don't re-decorate the same one every week.

Having to schedule around the Jets and Giants not having home games on the same weeks is no worse than having to schedule around the other events that happen in every major stadium.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Dramatika posted:

To continue this subject - When the Jets and Giants play each other in NY, would anyone know if they both use their separate home locker rooms, or would one of them have to use the visitor room?

I would assume they would have to use the visitor's locker room, if only because not having your own stuff and your own decorations and colors and not being "home" is the only real part of the "home field advantage" the de facto home team gets in that particular game.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Dramatika posted:

Well, there's also the fact (OK I'm not 100% sure on this so correct me if I'm waaaay off) that the season ticket holders for the 'home team' are going to compose the majority of the crowd, or at least I would think so.

Sure, but the "visitors" fans will also be in attendance in large numbers, and it's a stadium you know well and feel comfortable in, etc. It's certainly completely different for the Giants to play an "away" game against the Jets than it is for them to play an away game against any other team.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Blackula69 posted:

For RBs, 330 carrier is a big season and 400+ will run them into the ground. See: mid-2000s KC Chiefs

There's also a belief in the "Curse of 370", wherein 370+ is the magic number of carries that makes a RB regress the following year. It's generally BS, there's nothing magical about 370 as opposed to 369 or 375 that makes it a breakpoint, but people talk about it as if it were.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

nnnAdam posted:

I'm going to assume the central location (well, kind of) of Indianapolis, along with the dome, make it the easiest location for all the teams, players and everyone else to get to. You're going to need a dome to conduct all the drills at and it's the only dome in the middle of the country. I could be wrong though, that's just my guess.

That plus Lucas Oil Stadium is known to have a very fast running track, which inflates (or deflates, I guess) everyone's 40 stats and makes them look better.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Captain Foo posted:

Another example of this with a different team from a while back was the Giants - Ron Dayne and Tiki Barber: "Thunder and Lightning" (except Dayne sucked rear end)

They keep trying to use the term still, with Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw.

And when it was Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Derrick Ward, they tried to sell it as Earth, Wind, and Fire.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

tk posted:

University of New England is under investigation for getting hockey players on "diversity scholarships": http://www.pressherald.com/news/ncaa-probes-athletes-financial-aid_2011-03-27.html

Of all the sports I would expect players to be on "diversity scholarships", hockey would be dead last.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

some6uy008 posted:

Following and after the draft, I keep reading DE moving to OLB and adjusting from a 3point stance to 2 point. There is that much of a different and is there an advantage of 3stance vs 2point stance?

It's not the stance so much as where you stand. 3-point stance means you're right on the line, usually facing a lineman, need to use different techniques to rush the passer, are responsible for a gap and have some run-stopping jobs, etc.

If you're a stand-up LB, you get a bigger run-up, are often blocked by a RB or a TE, and may have to drop into coverage sometimes.

A lot of 3-4 OLBs will vary their position and stance on a play by play basis, taking advantage of the holes they see in the blocking schemes, etc. That role is where the "3-4 is better for blitzing" generality comes from.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kalli posted:

Then they removed the expansion draft portion of it and welp, Texans and Browns.

So how did the Texans and Browns fill their rosters? Just one draft then "good luck with 46 free agents"?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
To me, possession receiver is a guy who doesn't really have the speed to get separation deep, but who has extremely reliable hands and can catch in traffic.

So that would make Anquan Boldin or Hines Ward the prototypical possession receiver. No one is afraid of those guys burning your cornerback in a straight line, but if you throw the ball to Boldin on a 6-yard in across the middle, he will loving catch it or die trying.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

dermalogic posted:

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys - I'll keep an eye on stubhub and see if I can jag a good seat for the giants game.

The other game I might be able to attend would be STL @ SF on Dec 4. So, given the two options, I think I'd prefer to pay a little more and see Eagles @ Giants, but if there are tickets to the SF game through the website, I might be able to see both.

Thanks again.

It won't be "a little more". I would not be surprised if Eagles/Giants tickets were an order of magnitude more expensive than STL/SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

internet inc posted:

Who should I follow on Twitter? Players, coaches, media, anything to keep me up to date and/or get a few chuckles out of me.

Ochocinco (though he's been pretty tame since going to NE), Adam Schefter, and Chris Kluwe.

• Locked thread