Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Crunkjuice posted:

Stupid question so i figure it fits here best. For instances where they need to bring out chains, or a QB sneak into a giant pile where you can't see the ball well, why don't they start chipping balls? Wouldn't then they be able to tell 100% if it got the 1st down or if it actually crossed the goal line?

The "chipping balls" discussion has picked up steam in the past few years, but the simple answer is that they don't actually know whether the technology is up to the task yet. They haven't tested it and there's some doubt that it's actually as magically precise as it's proponents claim it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

atlas of bugs posted:

As opposed to the precision of dudes with chains following around an umpire who strolls up to wherever feels right and places the ball

Yeah, actually. The argument that I have heard against is that right now we're accustomed to the fact that there is human judgement and occasional error in football, and we are used to it. If you put a chipped ball in that works 90% of the time, what do you do when it's wrong? Do you accept beforehand that the ball is always right and never question it? Do you have refs second-guess it anyway? When the runner very clearly goes down on the 1 but the end zone lights up anyway, who is the final say? If the final say is a human how is that better than what we do now?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jamsque posted:

All of this Pryor talk has reminded me that I do not understand the supplemental draft at all. What is it? How does it work? It seems like teams give up next year's draft picks to get exclusivity on guys who weren't in this year's draft, is that about right?

Yes. It's for players who missed the deadline for declaring for the real draft due to circumstances out of their control.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

skaboomizzy posted:

What are the blackout rules on Monday Night Football games? Week 4 has the Peyton-less Colts going to Tampa Bay which didn't sell out a single home game last year.

They're the same as the blackout rules any other time. MNF can get blacked out.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Uncle Jam posted:

My question is then, how does a team come up with its overarching offensive plan?

If coaches are only familiar with one system, is this pretty much the guaranteed system the team will use? Are players then recruited that fit this system?

The other way around would be you use the system that relies on your players strengths. Which is typical?

I understand that Peyton would be more likely to have a system built around him than say Josh McCown, but all I remember is west coast offense being forced on the Lions for a long time and I don't really understand why.

Generally a coach will build an offense around the system he knows or was brought up under, and will try to get personnel that fit that scheme. Sometimes, though, a unique talent (like Vick or presumably Cam Newton) will fall into a coach's lap and he gets to choose between trying to pound the new guy into his system, or building a new one around that guy.

• Locked thread