Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

I'm going to watch the finals for the American Football European Championship 2010 tomorrow in Frankfurt, Germany. As it's the first football game of my life, I was more than happy to see this thread :)

The forums just won't let me down. Thanks SA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

adaz posted:

I had no idea this existed, if you think of it maybe put a bit of a trip report together? Curious about this league.

Here's a quick rundown: (sorry about the lack of pictures)

• Germany won against France (26:10), so we are European Champion and already qualified for the World Championship next year in Austria
  • Kickoff was at 19:30 (GMT+1), earlier this day were the semifinals (didn't watch them). Austria scored third against European Champion Sweden (30:0)
  • the game took place in the Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt (formerly known als Waldstadion). Max capacity is ~50.000, there were about 8.500 spectators during the final game
  • most of the spectators were Germans, France had maybe 200 supporters (estimate by me), although there may have been french fans in the German block
  • the french team's name was "The fighting Frogs", which I found quite funny :)

Some questions from a football newbie:

• are there regulations in American arenas concerning Vuvuzelas / compressed air horns / other silly poo poo like that? Concerning being a good sportsman and all, I found it quite annoying to see german spectators trying to drown out the opposing team by using these every time France were on offense
  • are there seperate blocks in American arenas for the two fan bases? (I know its commonplace in soccer, as violence can be a problem sometimes)

Some (maybe) dumb questions about the game itself:

• On a rare occurence, there was a "to go" distance displayed that was over the expected 10yards. How is that possible?
  • This may be too unspecific, but sometimes there was an incomplete pass, which didn't result in another try, but was treated as the next starting point (sorry, I'm still learning the terminology). Any ideas about when this may happen?
  • mental note to myself: bringing along a cheat sheet with the most important referee signals next time. Any suggestions where these can be looked up?

kyuss fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 2, 2010

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks for your kind answers.

Noisemaking is fine by me, I just felt bad for the french team as they had so little supporters in that particular play. And gently caress Vuvuzelas on principle :bahgawd:

I plan on visiting the German Bowl in October though. From what I've read, 20.000 - 30.000 spectators can be expected.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Just watched the recording of the ArenaBowl XXIII, awesome.

Two minor questions:
  • Some helmets had built-in visors. What purpose do they serve?
  • I saw the jersey number zero on a player, does this number have a special meaning?

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Wow, that sparked quite a discussion :) How common are eye injuries in football anyways?

I've alredy seen helmets coming off on several occasions: are they designed that way? And do the rules demand an instant halt of the current play in such a case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

I'm tempted to shell out the $99 for a 2010 NFL Game Pass account.

Is anyone else using this? I wonder if the price will drop again after Superbowl, maybe someone knows about this.

• Locked thread