Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Synnr posted:

I'm sorry to bother you guys about this but I wasn't sure who to bother.

My father called me up and was looking for a decent place he can stream live games, presumably all of them. The official ESPN stuff I've looked at doesn't always seem to carry the games he is looking for (Ravens), and the few attempts I've made to find something for him result in a lot of ESPN search hits and some dodgy looking websites. Do you guys recommend anything? He doesn't mind if there is a subscription required.

Three basic placed that I go for streams:

https://www.channelsurfing.net
https://www.atdhe.net
http://www.firstrow.net/sports/american-football.html

Edit: One other

https://www.myp2p.eu

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kevyn posted:

How come at games in Toronto and London they cover the first ten or so rows of seats with a tarp?

Don't know, but if I had to guess it would be due to the lack of visibility. Those stadiums would be designed for soccer, which involves fewer players. I would imagine that having 40 or 50 players standing next to the field all game long would leave the bottom few rows without much to look at.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

loosenukes posted:

I noticed this in the Northwestern-Illinois game yesterday, but I think I've seen it elsewhere in college football, too. When they line up for the extra point, they line up all spread out and then audible to a normal field goal formation. Why do they do this? Are they just trying to catch the other team off guard any way they can? It seems weird that they would do that every single extra point.

I think it's because kickers prefer to line up their kick without the offensive line directly in front of them. Once they run through it in their head and step off to the starting point, the line moves into place.

Kicking is 99% psychological, so whatever helps them focus, I guess.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

5 of the 7 on the line of scrimmage are the O-line, and neither tackle can be uncovered IIRC. That means that there has to be a receiver (either a tight end or wide receiver) on the LOS between the tackle and the sideline.

Legal:
--W------TCGCTE-----
W----------QB------W

Illegal:
--------TCGCTE---W-
W---------QB------W

because the LT is uncovered on the line of scrimmage. I don't know why it's a rule, just that it is one. Also, tackles have to have their head between the shoulder pads and butt of the center, or else it's a penalty. It rarely gets called, though, unless your o-line is lovely (like Pittsburgh).

An uncovered tackle is technically an end, and therefore an eligible receiver. However, since he's wearing a lineman's number the player must inform the referee before the play that's he's an eligible receiver. Tackle-eligible plays turn up every now and then.

Any formation with 7 guys on the line and 4 in the backfield is legal as far as I know. When you see multiple WR sets, usually one or two will be back from the line a bit, putting them in the backfield.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Also, how crisply they make cuts and how well they fake out the backs. A good route-runner will know how to juke the safety to get a step on him, being more open then more often.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crunkjuice posted:

Can someone explain how the hash marks work? How its decided where the ball gets placed for the next snap/field goals/ why the difference between high school/college/pro?

When the ball is down outside the hash marks, it is moved in to the nearest one. When it's between the hashes, it's left where it is. The NFL has the hash marks closer together to make field goal kicking easier - they are 18' 6" apart, lined up with the goal posts.

In college, the hash marks are 40 feet apart. Don't really know why they settled on that.

Edit: Useful Wiki info

quote:

• The goalposts were originally located on the goal line; this led to many injuries and sometimes interfered with play, and the NCAA moved the goal posts to the rear of the end zone in 1927. The NFL (still following NCAA rules at the time) followed suit, but moved the posts back to the goal line in 1932, where they remained until 1974. The Canadian game still has posts on the goal line.

• In 1959 the NCAA goalposts were widened to 23 feet 4 inches, the standard width for high school posts today.

• In 1988 the NCAA banned the kicking tee, requiring kicks from the ground.

• In 1991 the college goalposts were reduced in width to 18 feet 6 inches, the width of NFL goal posts. In 1991 and 1992, this meant severe angles for short field goal attempts, since the hashmarks were still located 53 feet 4 inches apart. In 1993, the NCAA narrowed the distance between the hashmarks to 40 feet (which was the width of hashmarks in the NFL until 1972, when they were narrowed to 18 feet 6 inches).

• Like the collegiate goalposts, the NFL goal posts were located on the goal line. They were moved to the rear of the end zone in 1974, as a result of the narrowed hashmark distance of 1972, which had made for easier field-goal angles.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 21, 2010

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drunk leprechaun posted:

Simply because they are two different organizations. There is no FIFA style group that oversees football in the US. The NCAA and NFL evolved separately and have their own identities.

Also how dare you even think that the college football is a minor league for the NFL. They are scholar athletes who all play for the love of the game damnit!

Considering that about 2% of college players have careers in the NFL, it's doing a pretty lovely job of being a minor league for the NFL. The vast majority really are there for the education and love of the game.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

loosenukes posted:

On the topic of college vs pros, I was reading the Ray Guy wiki today and it mentions that they used to play an exhibition game of the superbowl champion against a team of college all stars. That'd be sweet to see, and such an event should replace the pro bowl.

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/Chicago_Charities_College_All-Star_Game.htm

The college All-stars were remarkably competitive through most of the years, although the last time they actually won was 1963. Amusing that the original intent of the game was to show that the fledgling NFL could play at as high of a level as the college boys.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

-Dethstryk- posted:

This might be a really dumb question, but it's bugging me.

I'm sitting here watching this NFL Films documentary on the 1967 Cowboys/Packers Ice Bowl. It feels like the players are moving in slow motion, and I notice this same thing when I see any old film of the NFL.

Is this just an example of how much the players in the game have changed over the decades, or is there something with how these old games were filmed?

I suspect it's more to do with the difference between the frame rates for film versus on-line video. Players haven't changed all that much - at least not so much that the play on the field would appear significantly different to the eye. If it was filmed at 24 fps and is being played back at 20 fps, for example, it would look 20% slower than real time.

Edit: As an example, Jim Brown reportedly ran a 4.5 40 (in full uniform) back in the 50s. That would still be a pretty fast runner today.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 23, 2010

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

-Dethstryk- posted:

Two replies, each for both sides of the coin. I suspect that the truth probably does lie in the middle.

The bulk of the speed increase in the last 50 years has come in linemen and linebackers, the "unskilled" positions. Receivers and running backs have always been track stars.

The other part of it is that the game has opened up a whole lot, making speed more important in more positions. 50 years ago the game was played mostly between the tackles, and linemen were valued for their immobility as a consequence. As the game has evolved toward the edges, lateral pursuit has become far more important.

So I guess the answer to the question depends on what you're looking at. Line play is considerably faster and more sophisticated now than it was back then, but the speed burners are just about the same speed they ever were.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bashez posted:

This isn't really true. I mean, back in the day you might have one guy running sub 4.5 and he would be able to outrun everyone else. Now every speed guy is about that level or faster. The pure speed of the fastest of the fast hasn't increased much. But the amount of fast as hell guys has. Agility has significantly increased as well. The important thing is we have a great farm system to feed the best athletes into the NFL now which wasn't really in place in the 60s.
You're basically reiterating my point. The positions known for speed are as fast as they ever were. The positions that historically weren't expected to be speedy have sped up a lot.

I'm not sure what "farm system" you're referring to. College athletes have been playing in the NFL after graduation since the NFL was founded.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

But college football wasn't any where near as developed as it is now until the 1970s at least.

Pro football wasn't very sophisticated back then, either. One of Vince Lombardi's major innovations at Green Bay was the pulling guard on the end sweep, featuring Jerry Kramer. Kramer was also the place kicker, to give you an idea of the degree of specialization.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

I understand this, but the training and organization of college football was also at a much reduced level. It wasn't a farm system in the same way it is now, guys weren't preparing for the pro game or anything.

Of course they were. What makes you think they weren't?

Eta: Of course, given the state of professional football at the time, there wasn't a lot of serious preparation to be done. As pro football has become more demanding, college players with intent of playing pro ball have become more demanding in their preparation. My point is that the two go together. College players have been getting themselves prepared for a post-college pro career since the 30s or so, it's just that that preparation largely consisted of registering for the draft and not much else until the 1970s or thereabouts.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 24, 2010

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Private Snowball posted:

I went to my first NFL game yesterday which was Vikings-Lions and I was a little disappointed. I don't want to have one experience taint my feelings on this league so I wanted to ask some questions.

1.) I found the fans to be lacking. I always assumed that an NFL game would be loud and fans crazy like what I see on tv, but they seemed pretty calm. I was sitting behind the Vikings bench because my friend who got the tickets is a fan of them so I may have been too removed from the Lions fans. He also said it probably was because the game was meaningless and neither team was going to the playoffs. Was this game more quiet than usual or are Lions fans just not that hyper? Is every game a sellout? I could see some empty seats though not sure if they were part of the boxes.

2.) I'm used to the CFL where the field dimensions are bigger so I couldn't get over how small the field was. Do different fields have different dimensions or is there one standard?

3.) How is Ford Field compared to other stadiums? It was nice, but there were no banners hanging or stuff up from past teams. It mainly seemed to be food and drink places. Do NFL teams not do this? I'm used to NHL/MLB so I found it kind of strange.

4.) Joe Webb was drafted in the 6th round and my friend said that was also the round Tom Brady was drafted. Is it because of the huge college system that the draft can be so good still in later rounds or are there just surprises? Are 1st round draft picks always good and NFL ready? Is there a certain number of years a rookie has to wait until they are ready? Suh was taken this year and he seemed pretty dominant on the field and with the fans affection.

5.) I have a friend who goes to the University of Alabama and he is always talking about Mark Ingram. When will he enter the draft? Will be the 1st overall?

Most of your problems can be explained by it being Detroit. You might do a little research on the history of the Lions franchise to understand why the crowds were subdued and there weren't any banners hanging anywhere.

Otherwise, yes, CFL fields are bigger than NFL or college fields. 10 yard shorter playing field (midfield is the 50, not the 55) with only 10 yard deep endzones, and the goalposts at the back line. Not sure on the width.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Is intentional grounding the only penalty which makes the offence lose both yards and a down?

In this case it makes sense, as the penalty is the equivalent of the QB being sacked.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dominion posted:

What is "assisting the runner"?

Pushing, pulling, boosting up, or even picking him up and throwing him over a pile to help him gain yardage that he wouldn't be able to gain on his own.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dominion posted:

You can't push the runner? People do that all the time, especially on QB sneaks.

The Bush Push was illegal?

Technically, no, but it's almost never called unless it's egregious. Linemen will claim they were trying to block but in the mass of bodies ended up pushing the runner by mistake (true or not), so refs tend to let a lot of minor stuff go. Sort of like holding calls.

Now if somebody makes a stirrup out of their hands so the runner can leap up and over the line to get a first down or a lineman puts a RB on his shoulders and carries him down the field, it'll get called every time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tostito posted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/XxTopCatxX/0623011149.jpg

I am looking for an ID on this former NY Giants player. Does anyone know who this is? All I know is that his first name MIGHT be Joe, and that he might have been a Runningback in the late 60s, but I really have no idea.

Looks a lot like Freeman White, drafted by the Giants out of Nebraska in '66. Only problem is his name isn't Joe and he was a TE, not a RB.

Eta: It could also be Homer Jones, a wide receiver for the Giants back then, but it looks less like him:

The additional weight and age makes it tough for me to tell. I could be wrong on both counts.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 23, 2011

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

^^^^Yes, Joe Morrison was a big star for them at the time, and a RB, but also quite white.

Tostito posted:

Don't think that's him, I was just re informed that his name is definitely Joe but thats basically all we know. Thanks for the help though.

The only RB I can find who played for the Giants and wasn't white was Joe Orunda, another Nebraska player. Only he wasn't late '60s: he played for them in '72 and '73:

Might be him, the width of his nose bridge and eyebrows is about right. The scar on his right cheek seems to be missing, though, on your picture.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Midget Fist posted:

Hey, I was wondering, has a gridiron-team always been divided into two teams, offensive and defensive? Or did it start out as one team where everyone played both sides? If so, when did that happen? I tried reading up on it but couldn't find this out, thanks:)

Platooning was started in the 30s when they loosened up on the substitution rules. Fritz Crisler was one of the pioneers in the separation of offensive and defensive units.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS posted:

It's like the Patriots, sure they could be the Boston Patriots and probably not lose much support but why do that when you instantly add fans over a whole region?

Just want to point out that their original name was the Boston Patriots.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

And don't forget his father is in prison.

And coincidentally played for Michigan State.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ch1mp posted:

Searched, but did not see an answer. Is there any way to watch live NFL games on the internet on a laptop - not phone or tablet? Cost not a consideration. Actually, I might even buy a tablet if that's the only way.

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/sport/american-football.html

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/60233-Streaming-2011-NFL-WEEK-2

http://www.atdhenet.tv/

http://chanfeed.com/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Thanks for the tip about breaks. I'll probably bring a book so that I have something to do. Also, about the replay screen, I'm pretty sure Wembley doesn't have one, do they put up one for NFL games? Also, the tickets I have are on the lower level sideline nearer to one of the endzones (block 104 here. Will this give me a decent view overall?

I had seats in a very similar location when I was a junior at Michigan. Overall they were pretty drat good. Really good for plays at your end, OK for plays at the other. If you're not down too low it should be a great view.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Happy Seafood Guy posted:

I've always wondered what advantages teams gained by taking timeouts, beyond just stopping the clock. This morning, I was reading a recap of the Boise-Wyoming game, and I came across "Instead, [Coach] Petersen used his two remaining timeouts to force a punt." I wasn't able to watch the game, and so I really don't have much context to try to figure this out on my own, but how does this work, and are there more ways of using timeouts for trickery?

By calling timeouts, he forced Wyoming to run plays rather than just letting the clock expire. When they couldn't get a first down, they were forced to punt.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frankston posted:

Question for the UK NFL fans in here, what's the best place to watch games? Is there a website that streams them/has them available to download afterwards (legally)? I don't mind paying a subscription fee.

There are lots of online streams for NFL games that are usually posted in the game-day threads. Their legality and quality are sometimes questionable, but they're free.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

NFL coverage is so much tighter than college that you can't get away with inaccurate passing or a slow wind-up that telegraphs what you're doing. And the league is so skewed in favour of passing that a running quarterback isn't going to help you much, especially given the defenses are faster and qbs are so expensive you don't really want them getting hit on a regular basis.

For similar reasons, Denard Robinson will never be an nfl quarterback, awesome as he is.

Yeah, to me this is the biggest difference. College offenses are highly varied, and flexible enough that they can accommodate idiosyncratic skill sets. Tebow was an exceptional athlete who needed to be on the field every snap. Building an offense around his abilities was feasible.

At the pro level, Tebow is merely above average in athleticism, and doesn't have the pull to get a team to rebuild itself around his abilities (since using his abilities will likely result in a short pro career). So he has to be fitted into the mold of a generic pro quarterback, and he doesn't fit very well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I'm seriously considering cancelling my cable, but my only hangup is that I'll no longer be able to watch football (really the only thing I watch on it these days). What are some routes for watching football that don't go through me having basic cable (and won't offset the ~ $70-$80/month that I'll be saving)?

E: Ideally, something that also lets me utilize the TV I own.

I watch all my sports via streams. They can be spotty in quality, but I grew up with standard definition TV so it doesn't bother me much. I have basic cable for the internet discount. I don't watch actual TV much at all anymore.

ESPN3 has tons of games every week. I can usually find a stream for any other major conference game I want to watch. There's even streams of Div2 and 3 games around, from people broadcasting their school's internal feed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

What are those end-zone pylons made out of? They get hit so many times, I hope they are made of heavy foam or something.

The ones I've seen are made of urethane foam, with a flexible plastic shaft in the middle to stick it in the ground. The whole thing costs about $0.50, so if it breaks it's not a big lost.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Diqnol posted:

Hey, can anyone explain to me or link to an explanation as to why the NFL doesn't have minor leagues like other sports? Please don't make CFL or Arena Football jokes, I'm serious.

The NFL has tried to run minor leagues many times. They've always been financial failures. The main problem is that football is so physically taxing that player careers are relatively short. You can't work your way up for three or four years before making it big, because by then your career is nearly over.

Professional football started decades after college football was established as a major spectator sport. Early professional teams weren't taken seriously and had trouble getting established because too many fans already had loyalties to college teams. It wasn't until the '50s that the NFL was recognized as a clearly superior product to the college game. In the end, college football took care of the nurturing and sorting of talent that professional football needed.

In contrast, college baseball has never been a particularly big spectator draw and professional baseball clubs had little competition for high school talent until fairly recently. The farm system began as a way of funneling that talent into the professional teams, and with its longer season baseball can make money with far fewer spectators per game. Baseball careers are also far longer, so a system can take a kid from high school and groom him for five or six years to get him ready for the majors.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

So is it correct that defenders are allowed to draw the offense into a false start by acting as though they are about to jump as long as the defender never crosses into the neutral zone?

Yeah, if a jump sideways that doesn't infringe the neutral zone makes an offensive lineman flinch, it's a false start.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

k3nn posted:

What happens to all the dudes who don't make NFL teams? As I understand it teams start camp with 90 and cut down to 53 for the start of the regular season.. I know some get picked up by other teams, but that's still 37 guys per team who can't be on a roster. I'm sure a bunch of these just retire/give up on football, but surely that can't account for everyone. Do the others just spend the year training in hope of finding a spot the next year? Are there minor leagues they can play in to keep their skills up while they wait?

Each team can maintain an 8-man reserve practice squad beyond the 53-man active roster. There are some semi-pro leagues in Europe that play bad football for little pay. Other than Arena football and the CFL that SA2K mentioned, the next step is to learn to be a plumber.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

It looks like they only got permission to film until the game started, probably par for the course in the NCAA

It was also for a British audience and highlights of American football would be meaningless to them. The story was about the pomp and pageantry surrounding the game, anyway. The game itself was meaningless.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dirty Frank posted:

Can you go into more detail? I don't know what constitutes a penalty? (seems like a face mask pull should be a penalty?)

It should have been called, but if the refs missed it too bad. It's not reviewable. The cameras pick up lots of things the refs don't see at field level.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Seriously, the name Redskins is really loving racist. Where are you from? Pick the worst slur you can think of and apply it to a team name. That is what you're about to cheer for. Go be a Tampa Bay fan. They could use help.

I can hear Long John Silver already. "BUCCANEERS? What is that foul nonsense. *spits* I'll hang ye from the bloody yardarm if ye call me that again. I'm a bleedin' PIRATE and don't you ferget it!"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Does anyone have thefirstrow.eu's desktop app to stream HD? I want it but I'm worried it's going to put bad poo poo on my PC.

I installed it (at least the equivalent app from VIP Box). It asks to install a bunch of useless adware and toolbars but if you decline it just installs the app. I checked via the Windows Control Panel.

The app itself looks to be mainly a mini-browser that functions to bypass AdBlock so you have to put up with all the lovely ads you'd miss otherwise. The streams look to be identical with what's available via the web, so it seemed pointless and I uninstalled it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Years ago (prior to the '80s), before there were earpieces and offenses were less sophisticated, many NFL quarterbacks called their own plays. It was a mark of incompetence or mistrust for a coach to have to send plays in.

Now, with special personnel packages for various sets and better communications, almost all playcalling is done by the offensive coordinators from the Press Box.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rjmccall posted:

You can't place kick on the free kick after a safety

You can indeed placekick after a safety and teams sometimes do. Punts are usually preferred due to the longer hang time providing better downfield coverage and a shorter return, but teams with good placekickers will use a standard kickoff. Safeties are just rather rare to begin with, so a placekick after a safety is rarer still.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rjmccall posted:

Huh, I didn't realize this was NFL-only, okay. I'll go read your post in the rules thread to find out what else I horribly muffed.

Ohio State kicked off a tee after a safety earlier today, while we're on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

McKracken posted:

For practical purposes re:holding, it basically never gets called inside the tackle box unless it's horribly blatant.

And the reason for it is that it's practically impossible for offensive linemen to do any effective blocking without technically holding. The speed and size of defensive players has evolved beyond the original concepts of the rules on blocking.

Offenses would have to give up passing completely if some level of holding wasn't allowed, as it would not be possible to protect the quarterback long enough to get a pass off. The refs have developed a set of interpretations of what they'll allow so as to let the game proceed in a reasonable way.

• Locked thread