Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

Does a quarterback have any special protection if he is trying to stop a cornerback from advancing an interception?

If a quarterback fumbles while getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage, is it still considered a sack? If the running back fumbles while being tackled, is that considered a tackle on the defender's stats? What if the running back just gets it knocked out of his hands (assuming he clearly had possession) and he never actually goes down before the play is ruled dead?

no
no
no
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CanUSayGym posted:

I have a question that I didn't know that there was a thread to post about in on SA.

Last week in the Philly vs Giants game there was this interception:3rd&3 at NYG 23 (0:11) Sam Bradford pass intended for Zach Ertz INTERCEPTED by Landon Collins. No return. Touchback. in the end zone that I didn't get as a interception. Everyone has seen those plays where the offensive player pins the ball against the back of the defender, using his body as an extension of theirs, and get called for a completion. The only difference with this pass and called interception is that the defensive player was face to ball. A the end of the video posted there is an angle that clearly shows that Ertz has his hands around the ball underneath Collins when they come to the ground, however as the play continues Collins comes off the ground with the ball. My question through this is why? Why was this an interception when the offensive player pins the ball against the front of a defensive player facing away not the back face guarding?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000561515/Landon-Collins-makes-diving-grab-for-first-career-INT

Because Collins clearly had control of the ball. It was not a shared possession situation. He had the ball on his stomach with his arms wrapped around it. The receiver made a weak attempt to knock the ball away, but never had more than a hand on it.

If the roles had been reversed, it would have been an uncontroversial reception.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Would weight classes be feasible and/or a good idea in football?

You're not the first to consider it.

The St. Louis Republic, February 05, 1905

quote:

Jack Wilbur, coach of the Christian Brothers’ College, makes a novel suggestion toward eliminating mass play in football, although there is little likelihood of its being accepted. He says:

“I have read several interesting and pertinent article on football from the point of view of the spectator, in which the author ably discussed the evils which have crept into the modern game. In this connection I have been tempted to add something of my own accord. In the first place, to solve the present difficulty, we must find the reason for the trend of football toward mass play. Why is it that coaches, with very few exceptions, discard the open and more spectacular game for the pushing, crowding mass?

“The present state of affairs, I believe, is the result of an evolution from certain specific causes. It seems to me that there are at least two important factors: First, the gradual introduction of heavier men into the game; second, the proximity of opposing forwards. The country is raked over each year for heavyweights. The question asked concerning a prospective player is not, ‘How much does he know about football?’ but ‘How much does he weigh?’ Therefore, instead of a fairly heavy line and light, active backs, we get an aggregation or, rather, aggravation of ‘beef,’ exceeding often 190 pounds a man. Such a team cannot execute end skirmish formations; they are not built for it. But they can push.

“They present the ‘blind bull front of brute force’: their weight is their most convenient asset, and they naturally use it rather than waste time trying to develop a style of play for which they are eminently unfitted. How often, before a contest, do we hear this comment on a light, fast eleven: ‘Oh, yes, they play a good game to watch, but they will never get started with this “beef” against them.’

I, therefore, suggested that there be a rule limiting the average of a team to 175 pounds. A player of this build is active, and at the same time heavy enough for all practical purposes. Such men would be moderate in weight, allowing for some mass formation, but at the same time not so heavy as to make it easier to rely on the mass play rather than a more open game. This remedy may appear drastic, but I believe it is practicable. At least it strikes at the cause.

175 pounds average for a team seems pretty reasonable. ;)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TreFitty posted:

My wife wants to watch a football game with me - specifically the Seahawks tomorrow. Her co-workers know all about the game, the team, etc. and wear Seahawks things on Fridays. I know next to nothing about football beyond most of the rules (as I played it a ton as a kid). We want to watch live, but that seems to require cable tv, which we don't have. Is there anything I can use with an apple tv and iPad combo to make this happen? It looks like even the NFL doesn't want this to work even if you pay them. Any search terms you can suggest or specific sites or whatever? I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not...

edit: please don't suggest going out. We have an infant and no desire to be out even if that were not the case. Thanks!

edit2: Looks like the game is on NBC - does that help me in any way?

http://goatd.net/

Make sure your ad blockers are up to date.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

What was the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Cincinnati at the end of the ARI-CIN game last night? I get that it has something to do with the defense calling out Palmer's cadence, but I don't understand what that means at all.

Didn't see it, but the defense isn't allowed to shout out fake signals to confuse the offense and make them jump. Perhaps that was it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

Here's a hypothetical: The NFL has new PAT rules where a placekick is snapped from the 15 and a 2 point attempt is from the 2. What if a team lines up with a standard offense at the 2 but then the QB drop kicks the ball ala Flutie? What if they line up with a jumbo set and the QB drops to a knee before the snap, QB acts as holder and the RB kicks it through ala Chad Johnson in preseason that one time?

If they try a kick from the 2 it's just a touchback and the conversion fails. No goal allowed from that distance. Offense has to specify what it's going to do when the ball is RFP, which determines where it's placed. They can't change their minds unless there's a penalty.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cole posted:

How would a defensive penalty* affect the distance if it happened on the extra point field goal attempt if the offense decided to go for two after the penalty?

*for the sake of argument we will say it is a presnap penalty like encroachment or something.
Courtesy of Footballzebras:

They get to choose again. They can take the penalty from the 15 and kick, or take it from the 2 and run/pass.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I have my own rules question for Trin:

It involves the distinction between the two definitions for a receiver demonstrating possession of the ball. A receiver catching the ball in stride is easy, a receiver catching the ball while diving is more complicated but still fairly straightforward. What about the edge case of a stumbling receiver?

The way I have often seen this called seems to be that a stumbling runner is in a sort of limbo until the situation resolves itself. If he regains his balance, it's case 1, if he eventually falls to the ground it's case 2. However, I haven't followed this sort of situation systematically enough to be able to tell if it's a real thing or not.

It would explain some rulings I've seen: last year a Michigan receiver caught the ball near the hash stumbling, took 4 or 5 steps trying to regain his balance, but never did. At the end of it he dove and stretched the ball out for the first down line, finally contacting the ground and losing the ball when he hit. It was ruled incomplete, upheld on review.

Similarly, the Wisconsin touchdown that was taken away last Saturday involved a receiver hit as he caught the ball who then stumbled across the end zone for a few steps and finally fell down, losing the ball when he did. It was called a touchdown on the field, then overruled on review.

My question: Do refs have any rules or guidelines for making this kind of call, or is it just up to the refs on site to use their own judgment? I like understanding why refs call what they do.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

The stumbling receiver is still an edge case that doesn't have any specific guidance.. It's the sort of thing that happens rarely enough that it takes a while for anyone to realise that it's even a situation that needs addressing, so there's a gap in philosophy that could use filling. Here's two plays I've seen from recent games:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14186770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rikn30H9osI

Both of these plays were ruled touchdowns and my first reaction for both of them was "incomplete pass". After looking at the first one about twenty-six times I'm now happy with a catch, as it seems the receiver controlled the ball and took two good steps before the defender who was hanging all over him started taking him down; for me the second one (which is from a Texas high school game) is an incomplete pass but I can understand why the F has gone for a touchdown, even though I think he's wrong and I'm not surprised that his mates had a drat good go at talking him off it. (That play is also an excellent example of how selling a call is just as important as getting it right - none of the players argue, and on replay the commentators are looking for reasons why the call was right when they analyse it, even though they're clearly not entirely convinced.)

The other thing that might interest you here is two competing philosophies* for what you should do when you're not sure on this kind of play. Until very recently the mantra coming from supervisors was "no cheap fumbles" and "no cheap scores"; when in question, make it an incomplete pass. On the other hand, these two things clash with another philosophy that's come out of the NFL and Div 1-A recently, which is that when in question you should make certain calls in a way that allows replay to fix the error - and in cases like these, that usually means ruling the play a catch so that any subsequent action can play out, and then replay can intervene to help out if it needs to.

*A philosophy is something that isn't a rule, but which officials still use to help them make a call. For instance, there are many instances during a game where holding could be called, but there's a whole buttload of philosophy to tell us which holds are actually worth calling (very few) and which holds aren't (very many).

I agree with you on those calls. The first looks like he gains possession on his feet, then initiates the dive for the pylon himself - the defender is mostly along for the ride. The second one looked like a very unambiguous incompletion - he was obviously going to the ground while making the catch and had to maintain control after hitting the ground to demonstrate possession, and didn't.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I don't like making a bad call accusation without understanding what criteria the ref was using to make the call, or how he was supposed to be applying them. I've seen numerous catches where the receiver doesn't go down immediately, but staggers for a step or two first. Usually he hangs onto the ball so it's not an issue, but I was wondering how wide the "process of the catch" window extended and at what point he turns into a runner stumbling with possession of the ball. "I know it when I see it" seems to be the standard, which will have to do.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

axeil posted:

Speaking of the "palpably unfair acts" clause, has it ever been called in the NFL or NCAA? It's like this mysterious call that I know exists but I've never seen...like clipping.

Most famous example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSteCSinjTs

The referees awarded a touchdown for the palpably unfair act.

ETA:

This:

was legal at the time and not penalized, but the rule was changed shortly thereafter. Refs can now award the field goal for goaltending like that.

ED2:
Clipping is an interesting example, as it was the "targeting" of its day. It had been officially illegal but rarely enforced until artificial turf became popular. Then suddenly there were scads of career-ending knee injuries and the powers that be decided to crack down on it.

For a while in the '70s virtually every play had a clipping penalty, as the refs flagged anything that looked even close to one. It took a few years (and fans screamed about "what the hell is a clip, anyway?" and bitched about terrible refs ruining the game), but eventually players got out of the habit of doing it and coaches stopped teaching it.

The result is that you almost never see clipping calls any more. I suspect in a few years Targeting will be the same sort of thing.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 7, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

When quarterbacks call out stuff on the line, they always sound very gruff and manly. Are there any NFL quarterbacks that have soft feminine voices or a gay lisp or anything like that? I'm talking about the pre-snap shouting, not interviews and such.

Interesting article on that subject here.

quote:

Monahan went on to say that a quarterback's low voice on the line of scrimmage can tell the opposing line that he's not rattled, and it makes the players on his team listen up.

"I remember being in high school and hearing about guys at Mississippi State and Ole Miss that had high-pitched voices," Barnes said.

"They had to work on (their voices) and go to speech classes to deepen their voice so they could be heard at the line of scrimmage."

Also, J. T. Barrett had to get voice lessons to make his voice deeper:

quote:

This is Barrett's team now, with Meyer saying he needed to have faith in Barrett's "command" of the team to give him freedom at the line.

Talk like it.

"He doesn't exactly rattle the walls when he speaks," Meyer said. "Got to work on voice lessons with him, make sure he gets a little deeper voice. He's done a very good job with that."

In addition to the machismo and authority of a low voice, crowd noise tends to be higher pitched. A deliberately low voice cuts through it and is easier to hear. So having a low voice is an asset for a quarterback, and must be cultivated if it isn't naturally low enough.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

Just found out that back in September, in Georgia, they had a successful :toot: fair catch kick!

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/video-watch-ga-football-player-make-rare-63-yard-free-kick-field-goal

This is a nearly-obsolete (but not quite) rule from the days when football was much more of a field-position game. In NFL and NFHS rules (but not NCAA, it got removed in the 50s for boring, fun-hating reasons), when a player makes a fair catch, his team then has the option of putting the ball in play by scrimmage or by a free kick - and, unlike a free kick after a score, you can score a field goal with it. The NFL will even let you have an untimed down to take the kick if time expired before the fair catch. This is the edge case in which it remains useful; make a fair catch right at the end of a half, and it may well be a better option to take the kick than trying to run a play from scrimmage.

The last successful fair catch kick in the NFL was made in 1976; there's usually an attempt every five years or so. It's impossible to talk about the :toot: fair catch kick without posting the canonical example (also from Georgia, a few years back now), so here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMAnYyf8tc

The commentators, of course, have less than no idea what's going on, and there are few things more amusing than a confused hillbilly. You do not want to miss this. "Ah can't tell you what's fixin' to happen here..."

That rule actually predates the change to Rugby in 1876 - it was part of the original football game they played. The NCAA got rid of the fair catch in the '50s, so the free kick rule went with it. A couple years later they decided it was a very bad idea and put the fair catch back in, but did not add the free kick clause along with it. Spoilsports. :mad:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cole posted:

How come networks don't switch to the next game that is coming on when the current game is well in hand? Like if a game starts a 4 and runs until 7:30, and team A is beating team B by 45 points, why not just flip over to the game that is supposed to start at 7 instead of making us tune in 30 minutes late?

Heidi: The Little Girl Who Changed Football Forever

Miraculous comebacks do happen in the last minutes of games. Cutting away just in time for a team to pull one out is not conducive to happy fans. People are much less angry about missing the first few minutes of a game rather than the last few, whatever the score.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Adrenalist posted:

What do star ratings for college football prospects actually mean? It seems strange to me that some 3* prospects will get offers from top schools--shouldn't the top schools have access to enough talent where they'd never have to sign a 3*? (except at, like, kicker or if they had to sign someone's brother too, I guess.)

My understanding is that the ratings represent a rough probability that the player will be a starter before he graduates. It's an educated guess.

Good coaches can recognize a diamond in the rough. A 3* prospect that has a lot of growing to do and technique to learn can become a great player. Also, teams need practice squads and substitutes, and there are only so many 5* to go around.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Serotonin posted:

Do I have any songs to learn about shoving flags up his arse? Are these people more civil than English soccer fans?

Fun fact: General William T. Sherman burned Atlanta in the Civil War, then became the first superintendent of Louisiana State University. That's a pretty good hook for Atlanta fans to hate New Orleans.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

What is the logic behind counting a sack as lost passing yards in the NFL? It presupposes that the tackle behind the line defeated a pass in the first place, when there's not really any way to tell if the QB was actually running a pass play.

99+% of the time in the NFL when a quarterback is caught behind the LOS it's while he's attempting to pass the ball. Quarterback runs are rare, and they usually are the result of a scramble that goes for positive yardage. Thus, counting a sack against passing yardage is reasonable since it was almost certainly a pass play. Read option plays are starting to appear, but they're still not common.

College football has a lot more running quarterbacks and expecting scorers everywhere to be able to tell accurately and reliably just what the play was supposed to be makes it more complicated. Thus sacks are counted against rushing yards just for the sake of simplicity and uniformity.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Adrenalist posted:

Why is playing D-Line so much more tiring than O-Line? My understanding is that D-Line players are the 'explosive' ones on pass plays (trying to kill the guy in front of them to get to the QB) and O-Line guys are the ones exploding on run plays (trying to pancake their guy to open up a lane), so shouldn't it even out? The two big examples of this I can think of are an interview with an o-lineman who played for Chip Kelly at Oregon and later for the Eagles; he said he loved the hurry up because he was facing off against people who were completely out of breath and ruined by the 7th or 8th play of a hurry up drive. Shouldn't he be gassed too? More obviously, players are considered freaks if they don't sub off the d-line during a drive (e.g. Dontari Poe or Suh), but o-lines don't ever substitute except for injury.

The offensive players know the play that's coming. They know who has to really bust it and who's going to be off the play. They can pace themselves. The OC can move plays around to stress different players and let others catch a rest.

The defense, on the other hand, has no idea where the play is coming. Every player has to bust his rear end off the line on every play - and much of that effort is wasted as the play goes a different direction. If a guy dogs it for one play to catch his breath, he may be the man to block to spring a big play.

Mental fatigue is a big part of it, too. Constantly trying to figure out where the play is going and who should be where with what assignments pre-snap is tough. Being in the wrong defensive formation and confusion as to who's covering whom is also a large contributor.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Badfinger posted:

The best way to follow the draft is don't watch a single second of it unless your team is a Top 5 pick, because all the coverage is insufferable. Get the results at the end of the weekend and then read draft coverage from smart, reputable sources, by which I mean not any network.

This is wisdom. Ignore anything and everything related to sports that isn't actual games. Talking heads of any kind will rot your brain and make you enjoy sports less.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

Why does the first pick in the draft still use all their time on the clock? What are they doing in those minutes that they didn't do in the weeks beforehand?

There aren't 100 cameras and an army of breathless commentators awaiting their pronouncement weeks beforehand. The draft is a media event. It's more about advertising the league. If it was just about choosing players they could do it in a conference room.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

I can't imagine it would be legal. That's the whole sort of thing they got rid of back in the people keep dying and Teddy Roosevelt is pissed days. Yanking a guy on your own team around so he doesn't go down seems very "mass play."

Yeah, they've loosened up the assisting the runner rule a little bit by allowing teammates to push from behind (the "Bush Push" ruling), but otherwise the runner is on his own - precisely for the reasons you specify. Runners would be pushed, pulled, carried, even thrown over the line prior to 1910, resulting in horrific injuries.

It's "legal" in the end zone only because the play is over and the ball is dead once it crosses the goal line, and thus the assistance is rendered after the play.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kalli posted:

He wasn't insane, he was just droll and tried to make esoteric references to things mid-football game and name drop people from the 1970's which is good when you can distill it down to "Matriculate the ball down the field" and bad when instead you get:

What I remember was that he tried way too hard to be clever and just came off as pretentious and boring. He was painful to listen to because his comments weren't actually very clever or insightful, just dumb.

He didn't actually seem to like football very much. He was just a name, and it showed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

algebra testes posted:

What was the story with Michigan/Rutgers? Like, this is a serious beatdown with fake extra point conversions in the first half and going for it on fourth and goal with a 30 point lead... ?

The story is that Rutgers is embarrassingly bad and quit in the first quarter. Michigan set a school record for rushing touchdowns, they hardly threw the ball at all and Rutgers couldn't tackle 4th string freshmen. They didn't get a first down until there were 9 minutes left in the game.

Michigan could have scored 150 if they'd wanted to.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

I watched some football this weekend for the first time in years. I noticed the following items that were pink:

Shoes
Socks
Gloves
Wrist bands
Mouth guards
Chin straps
Arm sleeves
Upright pads
Whistles
Fan signs
Ads/logos
Towels
Shirts
Face paint
Things I didn't recognize

So, I take this to mean that the NFL really cares about women and their health. Can someone confirm?

You're supposed to be aware of breast cancer now. If you aren't, you need to watch more football.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

swickles posted:

So last nights game made me think of an interesting scenario, anyone know how this gets resolved?

Team A has the ball on Team B's 10 yard line, 1st and goal. On the previous drive, Team B kicked a FG on their first possession of OT making the score 30-33. Team A throws a ball which is intercepted by Team B. Stupidly, Team B attempts to return the interception and in doing so retreats into their own endzone where they are tackled. A safety is awarded to Team A, bring the score to 32-33. Now my question is which of the following happens:

1. Game over, Team B wins.
2. Team B must perform the free kick, with that being the final play.
3. Team B performs free kick and Team continues until the end of their drive, after which the game ends.

Option 3 seems the least likely to me, but I am curious if any rules specifically reference this kind of scenario. Is the free kick something that must be done, like on an untimed down? I feel like given the nature of the play and how it comes about it should be.

I would assume it's game over. Both teams have had a possession, and team B leads. The interception was a change of possession and technically ended the game right there.

ETA: I don't think the game actually ends until the play is over, however. A modification of your scenario would be B intercepts the ball, and rather than going down tries to run it back. B fumbles the ball and A recovers on the run and returns it for a touchdown, giving A the game.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 25, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

swickles posted:

Possession has changed, but I don't know if the rules specify that in this instance the free kick must be performed since its possible for the score to change. In the case that the safety wins the game for a team, they can elect to not field the ball, because unlike a place kick, a free kick is not recoverable by the kicking team. But in this case, the safety does not win the game for the team scoring, so that is why I wonder if the free kick has to be done. As analogy, if a game is won on a TD as time expires, the extra point must be kicked even if the outcome of the game cannot be changed by making it, missing it, or having it returned for a point. I am wondering if the free kick falls under that type of rule set.

from here:

Note 1: If the second team loses possession by an interception or fumble, the down will be permitted to run to its conclusion, but if the second team’s possession has legally ended with the fumble recovery or interception, any subsequent action will not affect the outcome of the game. (If the change of possession occurs in the second team’s end zone, the score counts.)

Looks like they would not do the kick as that would affect the outcome of the game. In my modified scenario above, looks like the TD wouldn't count, either.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

This doesn't answer any questions but I swear I remember some super old NFL highlight where a fan snuck onto the field and actually played defense on a goal line pass and no one noticed.

Deteriorata if you're still lurking this thread you might remember, I want to say it was the Jets for some reason but maybe that's not right. I'm having a hard time googling it but I know there's video somewhere.

November 3, 1961 - Boston Patriots vs. the Dallas Texans

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/fan-runs-on-the-field-joins-patriots-defense-080714

The guy batted down a pass in the end zone and won the game. The Patriots have been cheaters right from the start. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEjh2EVLD-s

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Found this NYT article which was the basis for the above story:

A Team’s Ragtag Roots - Early Patriots Were a Comical Traveling Sideshow

A fun look at life in the AFL.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ulmont posted:

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear.

If you kick it from the closer distance, it's not allowed. The point is simply no good. It must be kicked from the 15.

I believe you can still run it in for two from the 15, though, if the snap was flubbed or something.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

The Raiders went 6-0 in their division and 2-8 outside their division. Should they have won a playoff spot?

Of course. Not much point in having divisions if they don't mean anything. Wild cards pick up the slack for divisions with several good teams.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Can an ineligible receiver catch a backwards pass or a lateral?

That's a trick question, as there are no ineligible receivers for a backward or lateral pass. The ineligible receiver rule applies only to forward passes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Volkerball posted:

This is pure nonsense. Vick's ranch was in Virginia, probable cause for the raid were the testimonies of a dogfighting informant, and a drug dealer who lived in the ranch getting arrested and talking, both of whom were in Virginia, and the operation was run by Virginia state police.

The Feds got involved because his operation crossed state lines. He was primarily prosecuted in federal court on racketeering charges related to gambling, to which he made a plea deal.

There were separate in-state animal cruelty charges that he also pled to.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

A large part of that is because the risk/reward usually says "just punt it". It's not that they couldn't make 65+ yarders given multiple tries, it's just that it's generally a terrible coaching decision to actually attempt it.

The rule that on a miss, the opponents get the ball at the spot of the kick has a big impact on this decision.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is it spot of the kick? Not previous line of scrimmage?

Spot of the kick or 20 yard line, whichever is greater.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Chasing people and reacting to their motions is more tiring than running a route or blocking assignment

Plus the defense doesn't know where the play is going so everyone has to be ready for everything on each play. The offense has the initiative and can run a variety of sets and formations that rotate the load while the plays key on the same guy on the defense and wear him out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

screaden posted:

So I watched my first ever game all the way through and I think I've picked up on how everything generally works, but I have a few questions.

What is actually happening with the beginning kick off to the other end? It seems like everyone just kind of stands around while the dude kicks it and then the whole process starts like normal regardless of whether the ball is caught or not.
It's 4 tries to get to the (superimposed) yellow line right?
Are kickers/punters (not sure what the proper terminology is) pretty much completely disposable?
How is Jameis Winston viewed by the general audience? To my inexperienced view I was kind of amazed that he made even half of those throws.

I just decided to watch the Bucs because I follow the Rays in MLB, from the some of the reading I've done it seems like I'm jumping in at a good point.

Also is there a good resource for the names and definitions of the different positions? Bonus points if it has a basic explanation of how they interact with each other.

The point of the kickoff is to give the receiving team a chance to catch the ball and run it out. If the ball goes into the end zone, it is downed for a touchback, wherein the ball is placed at the 25. Most kickers these days are good enough to put it right through the end zone, so most kickoffs result in touchbacks. Kickoffs were from the 40 yard line for a long time, but because of too many touchbacks they moved it back to the 35. They will probably move it back to the 30 before long.

Yes, the game is that the offense gets four tries to advance the ball 10 yards. If they succeed, they get another set of four downs. If they fail, the other team gets the ball.

Kickers are far from disposable. Good kickers are immensely important (see the answer above). Kicking the ball between the uprights is worth 3 points and good kickers who can do that from a long way away are rare. Good punters can flip field position and force the opponents to make long drives to score.

I know nothing about Jameis Winston, though. I watched him play for Florida State a few times and know he won the Heisman award, but that's about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Positions:

This can get real complicated, so I'll stick to the basics. American football decended from Rugby in the 2nd half of the 19th century, so there are some archaic names based on how the game was played then, as well as some Rugby holdovers.

The 11 players on the team are divided into two groups, the forwards and the backs. Forwards play on or near the line of scrimmage (derived from the Rugby term "scrummage" or scrum), while back play behind it.

Offense:
The offense is required to have at least 7 forwards and at most 4 backs. There are five interior linemen, whose jobs are primarily to block (and are not permitted to catch forward passes), and two ends, whose main job is to catch passes.

The linemen are:
Center - plays at the center of the line, snaps the ball to the quarterback to start the play.
Guards - one on either side of the center. Named because their original job was to guard the center and quarterback during the exchange of the ball.
Tackles - one on either side of the guards. Named because on defense, the players at those positions did most of the tackling.

So the standard line formation is: ETGCGTE

The names of the backs are holdovers from Rugby. The farthest man from the line was fully back, or the fullback. Two players were halfway back between the line and the fullback - the halfbacks. One more player was between the halfbacks and the line, or a quarter of the way back - the quarterback.

Defense:
Defense is much more complicated than offense, as far as positions go. There are a variety of formations with lots of position names, but a base defense to start with is the 4-3-4. That is, there are four down linemen ("down" because they start the play with at least one hand on the ground), three linebackers, and four backs.

The main job of the down linemen is to rush into the backfield any way they can and either tackle a runner or get to the quarterback before he can pass the ball.

The linebackers play a yard or two behind the line, and their job is to plug holes in the line so a runner can't get through, cover running backs coming out of the backfield for a pass, and generally support the work of the linemen.

The backs are split into the cornerbacks and safeties. The cornerbacks play wide and near the line (at the "corners") and cover speedy ends and backs running to catch a pass. The safeties play toward the middle of the field and also cover passes over the middle or come up in run support. They are the "safeties" because they were the last line of defense.

These are the very basics to get you started on following what's going on. You'll have to spend some time learning the intricacies of what your own team does with these formations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Uhh yeah I think almost all of the info on kicking that was posted is wrong? At least in NFL terms. I know jack poo poo about college ball so sorry if you were talking about that. A touchback (when a kickoff goes out the back of the endzone, or is caught and knelt down in the endzone) goes out to the 25 yard line. And the ball is kicked from a team's own 35 yard line. Ie, 15 yards behind the 50 away from the guy who is going to catch it.

Touchbacks used to only go to the 20, and kickoffs were done from the 30. Both of these were moved in closer to each other to reduce the incentive for teams to return kicks, since kickoffs are dangerous as hell. It hasn't really had much effect, though, because no one gets to the NFL level without the drive to be a crazy person and run out against impossible odds.

A team gets 4 tries (called "downs") to advance 10 yards. But unless they are super close after their third try, or they are down by a ton of points late in the game, they will almost always punt on 4th down. Because if you go for it and don't reach the line you needed, the other team just gets the ball where you left off. Whereas if you punt the ball on 4th down, the team gets it like 40+ yards further away assuming it was a good punt. Which makes it much harder for them to score themselves on their drive.
Back when the field was 110 yards long, the kickoff was from midfield (the 55). When they shortened it to 100 yards in 1912, they moved the kickoff to the 40. As kicking got better, the NFL moved it back to the 35 in the 1974, then the 30 in 1994. They then decided that kickoffs were producing too many high-speed collisions and opted for more touchbacks and moved the kickoff back up to the 35.

NCAA kickoffs from the 35, and may go back to the 30 before long, which is what I was referencing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

Playing Madden 17 and fumbled on a kickoff return. The commentary says something about a new rule where you can't advance the ball in that situation under the two minute warning. Does that only apply to the receiving team, or is it considered a dead ball when recovered no matter which team recovers?

The rule is:

"If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time."

I'm guessing there have been problems with teams deliberately "fumbling" the ball forward as time is running out to extend the play and avoid being tackled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

I was wondering about the green stickers on the backs of QBs helmets and found that it was because they have a radio in the helmet and one person on offense and one on defense is allowed to have a helmet radio. What is the penalty if two people on offense or defense are wearing radio helmets?

That would probably be handled by the commissioner, who could levy fines, suspensions, draft picks, or whatever else seemed appropriate.

• Locked thread