Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrin
May 10, 2005

Coco13 posted:

Even though Brown is 40 lbs lighter than John Clay, he's significantly better at slowing down the pass rusher.

This is actually pretty common. The lighter guy is more suited to 3rd down duty so he HAS to pass block well.

edit: pass derf not run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrin
May 10, 2005

Diagram of gaps/techniques to make things clear, inside techniques omitted.

terrin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 9, 2010

terrin
May 10, 2005

^^ good point added it, yeah I left out the insides as said in the post

JuicedSixFo posted:

Also Kelley Washington sucks real bad, doesn't do poo poo, but will sure as gently caress take credit for the rest of the team.

I thought he was a reasonable special teams player.

terrin
May 10, 2005

Utah and Boise changed conferences

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_conference_realignment#Membership_changes

terrin
May 10, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

Nope, that's just what you do at a football game, it's part of the sport. If a team has something like an organised band then they can't play after the offense breaks its huddle, but just making an almighty racket from the stand is part of the game. Only thing that's a problem is blowing whistles, because the players need to be able to rely on the whistle for safety reasons.

I'm pretty sure noisemakers are banned at most (all?) NFL stadiums. Not sure about NCAA stadiums, but I've never seen them.

Trin Tragula posted:

America's such a big place that a lot of the time it's just not practical to see your team playing away because of the travelling distance, so you don't get the same culture of regular travelling support.

Mostly true for the NFL where teams travel further. College football stadiums usually have a visiting fan block, but they also end up peppered through the rest of the stadium.

terrin
May 10, 2005

Tekopo posted:

How hard is it to get regular season tickets for an NFL game if you aren't a season ticket holder? I've never been to the US but I really want to see at least one live game and I was wondering how far in advance I would have to buy tickets or if it was even possible to get them without paying astronomical fees.

That depends dramatically on where you are going. If you are going to, say, Jacksonville, Oakland or Detroit then you'll be able to get reasonable tickets not far in advance. Others not so much. I mainly have experience with the Pats and if you don't have tickets already they'll probably be rather expensive.

terrin
May 10, 2005

Dominion posted:

Right, but that's a stadium decision, not an NFL one.

The point being it's unusual to have a football game where noisemakers drown out the opposing team's offense, it has to be yelling and screaming and such, or speakers if you're in indy

terrin
May 10, 2005

nnnAdam posted:

Maybe it's just me then, but I think it goes well with the uniform well so maybe that is why I like it.

I too think it looks badass. But then again I photoshop lasers into all my pictures to this day

terrin
May 10, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

When he hit the ground, I noticed his arms and one of his legs stuck up in the air, and I've heard that's a sign of a concussion.

Fencing response

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_response

terrin
May 10, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Someone really needs to write an entry-level strategy book that doesn't suck. Hell, maybe Kirwin did, I still haven't read it.

Meh. I think it's below the level you're thinking. It's good for beginners, although at times I found him jumping around between levels of expertise so I don't think it's super well written.

edit: And by beginners I include people who have watched a whole lot of football and know alot at the spectator level but never thought to look deeper.

terrin
May 10, 2005

nous_ posted:

How do you guys watch football? For years I just focused on the QB or ballcarrier, but lately I have been studying a lot of the strategy and I find it hard to pick apart the plays focusing on just one or two guys. I kind of unfocus my eyes to watch the play develop, see what the secondary is doing, etc.

Secondly, is there a blog that analyzes NFL games at a high level? I remember SmartFootball used to do game analyses, but now they seem to be running topical pieces. I'm going to grab that Game Rewind package and it would be cool to have some hardcore analysis to help me pick apart the games.

I don't consider myself a strategy guru or anything but it's really hard to do much live on TV. It's the great aspect of watching football live because you can focus on one receiver/lineman/corner/safety without the camera sitting on the QB. My favorite to watch is defensive linemen because it's easier to make assessment without having to watch the play again.

terrin
May 10, 2005

Koskinator posted:

How often(if ever) are trick plays run that involve a tight end carrying the ball?

The Patriots ran a couple play action end-arounds to Aaron Hernandez last year, something they never did with any other tight end.. I'm not sure if you'd categorize an end-around as a "trick play", but that's the closest thing I can think of to it.

terrin
May 10, 2005

GirlBones posted:

Can someone explain all the stuff in this subforum to me? What is n/v? What is gdt? Where is the evening game thread? Will nbc stream the packers/falcons game free tonight?

n/v = news/views
gdt = game day thread
Yes there will be an evening game thread, and a SNF, and a MNF
NBC will stream the game

terrin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 9, 2011

terrin
May 10, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

That forward lateral that happened during one of the Broncos' fumbles, if that had been caught by the officials, would that have gone back to the Broncs? I'm guessing not since it happened after the ball was recovered, but sometimes things can be a little counter-intuitive. I'm guessing it would have just been however many yards the penalty carries back for the Pats offense, right?

Trin already said it I just wanted to emphasize that the officials didn't miss the lateral, it came after the play was over so it didn't matter at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrin
May 10, 2005

At one point there had only been one week between the championship games and the super bowl. In 2001 they had to postpone the superbowl because of 9/11. They brought back the bye I guess as much for a scheduling buffer as anything

• Locked thread