Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

jeffersonlives posted:

Joe Gibbs figured that out about thirty years ago, actually.

Wasn't this because he needed a way to stop LT from ruining his QB's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Chifley posted:

Could people in this thread please give a player's real name instead of/along with the nickname when talking about somebody who retired 20 years ago? It was pretty confusing for a minute trying to work out why someone called Joe Gibbs was trying to stop LaDainian Tomlinson from ruining his QBs.

(The LT they are talking about is a nyg linebacker called Lawrence Taylor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Taylor )

I can't tell if this is a fakepost or not, but given that this is the FAQ thread I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Lawrence Taylor is arguably the greatest defensive player in the history of football, won Super Bowls, played in NY and became somewhat notorious for his life off the field. LT is synonymous with Lawrence Taylor, it is famously known to be his nickname not just a thing people do on the internet to save time.

Joe Gibbs is also one of the more notable coaches in NFL history. During his tenure the Redskins were always competing for the postseason against the Giants (which is why he'd be interested in stopping LT from breaking his QB's legs.)

Granted this is the questions thread, it's assumed that everyone reading is familiar with the greatest pass rushing LB in football history and a 3 time super bowl winning coach.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Uncle Jam posted:

I think this thread is also for people who are completely new to football, because if you know about LT the LB then why do you need to read about what a quarterback and halfback are in the OP?

Although I agree that people like Taylor or Theisman (not their coming together) should be outlined in the OP.

I think even knowing that this is the thread for people new to the game or casual fans looking to learn more, most posters are going to assume they don't need to give a preface every time a player or coach is mentioned in relation to discussion of another topic, especially when the player in question is one of the most famous athletes to play one of the 4 major american sports.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with questions about specific players, but the original series of posts were about pass protection and the left tackle position, LT was only a corollary to that main discussion.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Chifley posted:

This thread has been highly useful for me, and I don't think it is a big deal for people in the Football Funhouse Rookie Thread to drop a player's fullname the first time they use a nickname so that people who haven't grown up following the NFL can still follow the conversation.

While this thread is for people completely new to football, it's also the default thread for questions about scheme, strategy, history, personnel and any other random topics that don't belong in the N/V threads, and consequently the level of discussion is often times above bare basics.

I can appreciate your confusion due to people misusing LT as a abbreviation for Tomlinson, but I knew full well the user my post was addressed to would understand me and frankly that's all I was concerned with given that I was referring to a hall of fame player active during many of our lifetimes. For the few foreign fans that grew up without LT as an icon of sports culture, I'm more than happy to explain if something I've posted confuses someone.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Also anyone that brings up Rivers when talking about Tebow's throwing motion is ridiculous. Rivers has one of the quickest releases in the NFL, while Tebow has by far the slowest.

Likewise the comparison to Rodgers in the initial post is a bit off key in the first place considering how refined his motion was after Tedford coached him at Cal. It might not have been textbook perfect but it was never an area of concern.

quote:

Are there any good video's on what every coach does? I get the basics of the position coaches, and what the coordinators do, but i'd love to see an in depth/specific video on how a coach actually coaches. The specific techniques the lines use, or drills a cornerback runs etc. I've never played football, so i have no firsthand experience on how coaches do what they do.

If you mean videos of coaches going over technique and strategy/x's & o's on a blackboard or with gametape you'll mostly only find that by purchasing coaching books that come with DVD's. Smart Football and Brophy Football have had on occasion some videos of this nature but it's rare to find top guys in the profession dispensing things for free when there's money to be made at clinics.

If you mean a logistical breakdown of what coaches are responsible for at practice, gameday, etc and how things are run from an organizational and operational point of view I could put a breakdown of that together.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
The key concept of zone-blitzing isn't to exchange rushers on the DL for blitzers from the secondary, but to play a cover 2/3 with zone underneath by only rushing 4 or 5 guys, allowing the defense to play 6 or 7 defenders in zone sufficient to cover the field.

In order to effectively blitz with 5 rushers the scheme relies upon clever usage of stunts on the DL and alignment of the potential blitzers in the back 7 to confuse the protection scheme (not that this is unique to zone-blitzing.)

An example of this is:

The defense is able to play solid zone deep and underneath, and get a numbers advantage despite only rushing 5. The strong 5 end holds the tackle and the guard blocks no one. The offense is already at a loss because they have 2 men essentially blocking 1. The nose is picked up by the center, the guard takes the will, and the weak 5 end makes a wide outside rush and pulls the left tackle with him. The back will now have to stay in and block the linebacker, so now at best, the offense has 4 receivers in routes against 6 defenders in zone coverage, 2 linemen to block 1 rusher while a runningback has to block the rush OLB.

The Giants under Parcells and Belichick used schemes like this to get Lawrence Taylor 1v1 against a back to disastrous results for the opposing offense.

Here is the smart football post on the run n shoot vs the zone blitz:
http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2007/07/what-killed-run-and-shoot.html

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

spe posted:

Who is a good team to hate on? I've picked the chargers and their fuckin shite logo.

Also is arena football worth watching in the offseason?

Unless you are SA2k or a fan of a division rival there is nothing really hate-able about the Chargers.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

It's hard to hate the irrelevant.

:smith:

Even in their better days I never hated the Chargers, and I typically favored them as a secondary AFC team to cheer for as long as they weren't playing the Jets.

I'd tell you to take heart in the potential of a good draft but I think AJ Smith has too thoroughly crushed your ability to hope.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Of all the logos to hate, a lightning bolt?

The only team I could understand people hating on for their logo would be Washington.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Its Miller Time posted:

Never really realized how narrow the hash marks are in relation to the width of the field...

/downiecomment

They're wider in college

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

sc0tty posted:

Is that the generally accepted best way to play that out? Seems like a silly option when you run the risk of a botched field goal?

As the Pats, at that distance you're basically hoping for a bad snap or a block, both of which are much less likely than Tom Brady being able to drive down the field for a TD.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Koskinator posted:

I've heard a lot about how the backup/third string quarterback will stand on the sidelines holding a clipboard. What exactly is on that board?

This varies to a slight degree on a team by team basis but most often they are charting the drives.

They write down the play call, formation, down and distance, field position, defensive alignment, time on the clock, hash mark, and than the result of the play.

There are also teams (most if not all of them), like what Ham said, who will have a backup or assistant coach or QC/GA guy look at the defensive backfield on passing plays to get a look at coverages and alignments, but typically the literal clipboard contains drive charting info.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Scheme is one of those words that has several meanings and they all depends on the speaker and context.

For example, Rex Ryan and Greg Manusky both run a 3-4 defense, but their schemes are wildly different. Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy run the same offense and use basically the same scheme (aggressive downfield dropback passing using flood, levels and smash concepts) with minor personal variations.

Philosophy is related to scheme, but they are not the same. Your philosophy will dictate your scheme.

The broad scheme of an offense or defense is what you draw up on the blackboard and it would be successful everytime against a hypothetical opponent running a base defense/offense. This is your offensive system, so to speak. Of course opponents don't always play their base packages and even within their base packages players won't always play honest, and sometimes game situations dictate optimal playcalls, but this doesn't change that you have a core set of principals threaded through a majority of your offense or defense upon which you rely to be successful.

You also have schemes that are an overarching set of rules applied to a certain action, like blocking. You have zone blocking schemes, in which every run play with a zone blocking rule set or scheme will involve the same responsibilities for each player, regardless of if it is inside, outside, left, right etc. Similarly there are various pass blocking schemes that use the same rule sets. An example of this might be your 7 step drop series, which employs BoB (Big on Big) protection for numerous plays. No 2 plays in the 700 series might be the same, but the offensive lineman will use the same rules to block each time. (This all applies to that hypothetical perfect world, x's and o's on the blackboard scenario, as we will see in the next paragraph why some rules might change.)

Now on an weekly basis, you can scheme or gameplan. Say that you are the New York Jets, and you have an upcoming game against the Cowboys. You are afraid DeMarcus Ware might paralyze Mark Sanchez on the field because Wayne Hunter is the worst tackle in football and even the best tackles have a real hard time blocking Ware 1v1. You will (or you should) scheme to neutralize this pass rush threat by using players out of the backfield to chip block, keeping in a TE, changing line protections to slide towards Ware in certain situations etc.

Now on the level of a single play, there is a scheme, or the actual schematics of formation, alignment, technique, assignment, etc. Individual plays are often prone to gameplan scheme tweaks on a weekly basis and also incorporate some of the rule set schemes like zone blocking, and usually are part of the broad offensive system scheme.

So scheme can refer to many different things, you just have to rely on the context to determine how it is meant.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Herr Tog posted:

Allow me to elaborate; my idea is to pick over rated players and ones with eastern euproean last names and some how mess up everyone elses team picks and come out with 1:1 win/loss ratio. I don't even know the waiver wire. I have never done fantasy sports.

Going .500 with a poorly drafted team is not going to troll anyone. If anything it's going to aid them.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Grittybeard posted:

I just watched that Bart Scott interview again and I think my favorite thing about it is that he lands before doing the interview.

I'm sad he's getting old and won't be around for much longer :smith:

I think the only way to "troll" fantasy sports would be to assemble a terrible team and than cross your fingers for the 1% chance you luck into winning the league without putting any effort in whatsoever.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Maybe he joins an awesome league with cool dudes who read FO every day and don't believe in clutch either :colbert:

I think NFL players or coaches are the only people who can troll FF guys, but even that's 99.9% unintentional.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I am actually Walter Camp

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
That is the best player endorsement I have ever seen, thank you for posting.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Check this website to see if you live within range of any stations.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Default.aspx

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I didn't know this for a while, but I have Comcast for internet and don't pay for TV at all, but they still give me local channels (and a few others) through the cable. Combine that with ESPN on Xbox, and I can see pretty much every football game that I want to.

Is this something standard that they don't advertise for obvious reasons, or is it just an error on their part that they're giving you some of those channels?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Only players are subject to drug testing.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Statler posted:

Wait.. I thought they suspended a Giants' position coach a couple years back for violating the substance abuse program.

Fake edit:
Wade Willson, Dallas Cowboys in 2007.

He wasn't tested for them, they had records of him purchasing drugs from investigations into PED distribution rings.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Statler posted:

Ah.

Wasn't sure how he got busted.

Coaches are still subject to substance abuse policy and whatever Goodell wants to throw under his umbrella of conduct policy, but they don't pee into a cup or anything.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

jeffersonlives posted:

Most teams in this case either launch the ball on an intentionally overthrown go route or snap it to their punter and have him run around and take a knee when the clock runs out.

We spent about 5 minutes during the special teams part of the walkthrough session prior to our first game each season timing the QB on out of bounds go route hang time for this exact purpose.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

VOTE1 posted:

At what point in a players career do they determine their position? For instance can you tell at age 11 that Jimmy should be a Outside line backer rather than a inside line backer? Or a Corner vs a Safety? Likewise is the decision between corner back and WR pretty much 'well he's fast, but can he catch?'.

I guess a second question is do players move around positions during their career? Ie will a safety or corner ever change into a wide receiver?

There's no real right answer to this because of how diverse and varied the individual experience of organized football can be from youth through college.

In middle school and high school you want your best athletes touching the ball as often as possible, and the type of offense you run will dictate their position to an extent. Or a coach might believe a kid has prototypical halfback measurables and was born to run in a power I scheme. Or a kid might have already demonstrated extraordinary ability at a position of preference and the coach might let it be while altering his scheme to take advantage of a future all american. Younger players might also be switched around between skill positions at will depending on year to year depth, since that's something you have little control of at high school and below. There's just a ton of variables that go into determining what position someone plays.

Once you get to the college level your position becomes a little bit more static but there are of course exceptions. A defensive lineman might have played the first 2 seasons as a 3 DT but gets kicked out to a 5/7 DE t as a junior either because the DC changes the defense or to fill a gap left by a graduated senior. It's not uncommon to convert gifted athletes to other positions if they are buried under the depth chart at their original position. There's also some fidgeting with freshman who might have played at a position in high school they were able to dominate due to athletic advantage, but in college lack a certain measurable. Larger TE's who don't have the athleticism to excel in the pass game at higher levels are often converted to tackle, for example. Again this is quite varied depending on the coaching staff and schemes they run and their current depth. Very often one school will recruit one player as a RB while another school will recruit the same kid as a CB. There's a definite advantage to not routinely switching guys positions around, because at the college level they need a few years of practice to refine position specific technique and skills to develop their potential.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Trin Tragula posted:

Along this line, do those calls at the line go in fashions? I swear the pre-snap-count call that everyone did always used to be "1 high" "2 high" "3 high", identifying the coverage shell; now they're shouting who the Mike is. In five years is it going to change again to something like "corners loose/corners tight"?

The mike always has to be established and the QB is always the one to make this call, so it probably won't be disappearing from the pre-snap calls any time soon. The center will usually call the defensive front depending on techniques of the defensive line, how many backers there are and which linemen they cover. This provides for the basis of blocking and protection schemes pre-snap along with the mike designation. The mike can change based on gameplan, so things like down and distance, defensive front, personnel groups, alignments all influence who the QB might designate as the mike so it has to be done on a snap by snap basis.

Most offenses will have the QB and eligible receivers read safety alignment at the line and make their route adjustments individually. Situations like corners loose or tight are similar. The QB and receivers will make their individual reads based on the coverage shell and alignment of defenders inside/head-up/outside of them. Most of these reads don't change as fluidly as the mike does so there isnt the need to add them to the pre-snap routine.

There are pre-snap calls for certain situations when a defender might be misaligned and/or a receiver is uncovered. In this case the QB will make a code call which tells the center to snap the ball on the next sound, sets a default protection for the line and the receivers to run route combos based on their formation and who the uncovered man is.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Trin Tragula posted:

I mean, I'm coming at this from the perspective of there's one team I officiate with a couple of ex-NFL Europe coaches, and they have good connections that mean they're often adapting NFL things down to their own level; and they've only been having the QB call the Mike out loud while under center this season just gone. If it's that important to know who it is, how did they identify him before? Why have they changed to having the QB shout it from under center? Why did they use to put emphasis on shouting the coverage shell, and now leave it to individuals?

(Maybe this is moving a bit away from 'rookie questions'...)

Since I've been involved in the game I've never known of a team that didn't identify the mike from high school up through the pros.

It is likely they had a weird and inefficient way of signaling the mike, either by including certain codes in the cadence or having it as more of a fixed determination pre-game according to their gameplan. This would be an imprecise and sloppy way of doing it, but I suppose it's possible.

Pre-snap signals and cadence rules need to be as streamlined as possible. If these coaches finally picked up on the better way to ID the mike, they made what would be a good decision to cut the shell signaling. You really only want the QB calling out the most important information in the most succinct manner. Adding extra verbiage to identify a read that the players should be able to make on their own clutters things up and needlessly increases the amount of time the QB needs to dedicate to calling out signals.

The mike call is essential because the QB, line and all possible pass pro (TE/RB) players need to know what players on the defense are the 5 men that will be blocked by the 5 offensive linemen. Everyone needs to be on the same page on every single snap and this has to be decided before the ball is snapped.

The pre-snap coverage shell is fairly easily ID'd by the QB, but it doesn't definitively dictate his progressions or where he will go with the ball. If the receivers are running choice and option routes their adjustments are often dependent on the defender covering them or the action of the nearest zone player(s) to their targeted area. This is done on the fly and the adjustments to various looks are repped like crazy in practice so the QB knows exactly where a receiver will break based on defensive movement from pre to post snap. The QB might read cover 2 in pre-snap, but would make entirely different throws based on the SS staying back or rolling up to the flats. It's much less important to make coverage signals in pre-snap because the route adjustments are more fluid than the pass protection and the reads are more individualized.

quote:

It depends on a combination of things who/what is shouted out. Playing against Pittsburgh and the 46, you are going to call out Troy/SS. Playing against a base 4-3, its typically the Mike, or if the SS has crept into the box. Another kind of 3-4 and its probably the OLB.

Teams definitely want to identify where guys like Polamalu are lined up, but those would be calls in addition to the mike call, or sometimes a double mike call.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I also imagine they are very different skills despite both being kicking. Seems punters need a strong leg while kickers need control. Kind of like TEs and WRs both catching the ball but in very different situations.

They are somewhat different patterns of movement, but you definitely need a strong leg as a kicker.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

bvlah posted:

Why don't the players ever want to hold the water bottle themselves and instead have the waterboy do it for them?

Because they have enough staff to be able to do it so why not.

It's also easier to have someone go around giving guys a quick squirt while they're on the sidelines or in a huddle during a timeout so they can focus on the coach or QB who's currently talking. If you only have a 30 second time out you don't want to waste 5-8 seconds of valuable time to discuss things because 11 guys were jostling to grab water bottles. Most guys just sitting on the bench doing nothing will usually drink a cup themselves.

Also from a hydration standpoint training staffs want guys constantly drinking a little bit during the game, so an assistant trainer or waterboy offering guys drinks ensures that guys are getting fluid.

Also water bottles are commonly wet and some guys don't like getting gatorade all over their hands/gloves.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Sash! posted:

I was disappointed to learn that teams only seem to have one flavor of Gatorade on the sideline.

Not sure why this disappointed me...

The flavors available in the multi-gallon bags that teams buy in bulk for water coolers are pretty limited and usually 1 full bag takes care of all the coolers and water bottles you'd need for 1 game.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
You can get DVDs of all the Super Bowls you like from NFL Films, but they are the uninterrupted game footage/telecast. It's doubtful you'll be able to find the old commercials or complete tv broadcasts outside of VHS fan copies.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Does anyone know what type of software coaches use during games to track personnel and situations? I'm thinking about a final project for one of my courses and a web app to do this seems like it would be fun, but I don't really know if something widespread exists already.

Are you talking about software for postgame breakdown or live game charting of plays?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Vando posted:

Does anyone here actually play? Is there a thread for that? I'm about to become a real life rookie, preliminary tryout on Sunday.

Calm down: it's in Britain. For probably the worst team in the league system right now :shobon:

There isn't a thread specifically about playing but if you have any questions about things related to playing post them here.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm saying cornerback or free safety. Receivers need to catch and take hits, corners need to keep up and swat balls away, and deliver tackles. Receivers also need to learn routes and play within strict parameters so the quarterback knows where to expect them. CBs can be more instinctual. I would prefer corner and I also played goalie by choice and was an awesome runner. Receivers have too much homework and are too reliant on outside factors (qb) for my tastes.

Playing in the secondary, but CB more so than safety, require tons of solid technique and skill work and understanding of assignments and how best to leverage yourself against a receiver while moving backwards. You can get away with relying on instincts playing rec league flag football against sub-par competition but not in 11 man tackle football against players of similar athletic ability. The learning curve will be as big and likely bigger than that of learning how to play receiver.

The motor patterns and skills that are stressed in football are specific enough that skills in other sports don't really translate (big exception for wrestling and offensive/defensive linemen) except for basic running, jumping, cutting that exists in all field sports.

e:not to imply Vando can't play cornerback, just that it's far from an ideal position to jump into as someone completely new to football.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 9, 2012

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
For practical purposes re:holding, it basically never gets called inside the tackle box unless it's horribly blatant.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

jeffersonlives posted:

Defensive players are coached not to leave their feet coming in at protected players because it becomes impossible to control your body enough to easily avoid an illegal hit once you do so. It used to be that you only had to worry about that for late hits on punters and quarterbacks, but it's considerably more important to stay on your feet now given the upgrades in protection on quarterbacks and receivers.

In addition to the penalty concerns, never leaving your feet is taught as a basic pass rush/pocket contain technique. Defensive line coaches flip when a guy has a QB dead to rights, bites on a pump, jumps to deflect the nonexistent pass and loses contain while the QB scrambles for a positive gain. I've always seen coaches teach hands up while running forward if you think the QB is going to release the ball.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

This just popped into my head.

Does the Super Bowl have a different OT system than a regular season or post-season game?

If not, what happens if there is ever a tie?

Post-season games cannot end in ties

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
With all the choice and read routes that nearly all offenses at the college and pro level use it's also more about the receiver being able to break the route at just the right depth, angle and distance based off his read of the coverage to create separation and/or get into the zone holes. This stuff applies to the basic passing tree routes too, to an extent, running a slant is of course much less difficult than a seam read.

To alter routes on the fly requires the receiver to be aware of the defense, correctly select the cut based the read, and the body control to execute this fluidly. Mediocre or bad receivers will have to slow down to make their adjustments, or will go through at full speed but commit some of the errors Badfinger referred to.

There are tons of possible reasons why someone might not be good at this. Vision, motor program selection (can they quickly choose the correct course of action), agility, balance, strength etc.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

Another question: why are plays designed in a reactionary manner to defenses? The offense has the advantage in that they're the ones who know what they are running, why add reactionary delay to your routes by including on the fly reads?

Reacting to your opponent is central to playing good football. There are numerous plays in football which are designed to give the offense an advantage by adjusting to the defense based on pre and post-snap reads. The offense still maintains the advantage because each player, acting on his assignment, knows what they need to do to execute the play correctly.

Take a zone option run, a play quite ubiquitous in football at all levels (for good reason).

Lets go position by position:
The line blocking assignments will be adjusted pre-snap. Linemen are responsible for a gap and will make combo calls depending on if they are covered/uncovered before the snap. I will bold the correct read based on the defensive pre-snap alignment.

TE: D gap, combo Sam to the 2nd level if T is uncovered, solo block if T covered
FST: C gap, Covered + G uncovered, combo to 2nd level, combo with TE if uncovered
FSG: B gap, if covered combo with C to Mike, if uncovered combo with T to 2nd level
C: A gap, solo block if defender is shaded to the front side, combo with G to 2nd level if A gap defender is back side
BSG: A gap, with an A gap defender solo block, B gap defender combo to 2nd level with T
BST: B Gap, with B gap defender combo to 2nd level with G, most dangerous man excluding option man if no B gap

As we can see all the linemen are responsible for their playside gap.

Slot: Block cover down
X: Cut off block
Z: Block cover
Back: Open and take handoff at mesh point in front of QB aiming for inside leg of the FSG.
QB: If backside DE chases inside zone keep ball, if DE stays home, hand-off

So everything is fairly routine here. The linemen are basically blocking gaps not men, so while the finer details of which combination of the 5 will double to the 2nd level, what techniques they will use and which men they will block does change, the core concept is the same on each play. The decision of who will come off to the 2nd level is determined during the play. If the LB flows quick over the top to the playside, the player farthest to the playside will slide off and pick him up. If the LB flows to the backside, the player closer to the backside will come off.

All the skill players have their assignments pretty much set in stone as well. The QB's option read is what makes this play so interesting (and awesome). A bread and butter play like this is repped so many times that making the read and executing the option on the fly is like second nature to a good QB. There should be no significant delay in the processing of the handoff or the keep, so there's essentially no downside for the offense to do this. In fact there is a huge upside. The offense has effectively removed the DE from the play by optioning off him. Usually the offense has 9 players to block 11. The ball carrier and QB are responsible for 2 unblocked counterparts. Optioning a defender removes him from the play in a way that he is essentially "blocked" despite not having to commit a blocker to do so.

quote:

I've always thought that certain receivers were going to be covered by design on certain plays and the more coverage they can absorb the less coverage elsewhere. Due to the space of the field, it seems like having 3 open receivers means you have 3 less open receivers, whereas if you have 1 or 2 totally smothered receivers, the 3rd is most likely enjoying man to man and a greater chance for separation. You only have one ball to throw!

Success in the passing game is all about combining receivers via formation and route concepts into areas on the field that puts zone coverage in a situation where they are at a numbers disadvantage. It's not that receivers are covered by design, but good plays will force X defenders to cover X+1 receivers. The defender can commit to any receiver, and in doing so will always leave another open.

Now lets tackle your original question about adjustments to routes in the passing game and why an offense should do this.

It's much more common for DC's to disguise their coverages before the snap. What might have appeared to be an inverted Cover 3 pre-snap could turn out to be Tampa 2 post-snap. There are also athletic freaks like Ed Reed who can stand at the LoS pre-snap and then get back into deep middle coverage post-snap. The receivers will need to adjust their routes based on what happens after the snap to win the geometry battle against the defense.

Lets take a look at the slot receiver or TE in the seam read vs 3 different types of basic coverage. *I didn't design these plays, but if I did, the playside back/receiver would be running an out or swing to the flats. This should really be single back trips right but this was the first seam read diagram I found in my playbooks.

So we've got 3 deep vertical routes, hoping to stretch the defense horizontally. In cover 2, we have 1 more receiver than the deep safeties can cover, so there's our numbers advantage, however the slot needs to run this to the right space on the field. Bad play design, or bad routes, are obvious when receivers occupy a space close enough to each other that 1 defender can guard both of them. The Y needs to turn this into a skinny post if he reads middle of the field open so that he maintains proper spacing between himself and the go routes. If the safeties are playing exceptionally deep so that the ball would be in the air for considerable time, the receiver should dig the route underneath them.

Now we have cover 3, so the numbers advantage of running 3 deep is neutralized. The seam becomes an in with the middle of the field closed. He should work across and stay flat to find the space behind the backers and in front of the safeties. The go routes in this instance also have a read built in, and this is convenient because it allows us to discuss adjustments to technique. If the corners are playing with big cushion it is unlikely you will get behind them, so the outside receivers will break an out on the 6th step and get the ball well before the CB can cover the distance he was giving up to protect deep. If they are playing up in press, it becomes man coverage for practical purposes. Get off the press and beat them deep.

Cover 1/Cover 0. The reads for the outside receivers are pretty similar to their cover 3 responsibilities. For the seam, we want to get head up leverage on the defender. With leverage even, work a fake to the outside and then break inside. The inside break should be flattened t cover 1, but against cover 0 you want to keep pushing vertically. If the FS has inside leverage work to get over the top.

A good coach will rep this enough so that the cognitive process becomes nearly automatic. At the elite levels the degree of difference in athletic ability that can make or break performance is quite small. Some guys can't fully automate the cognitive side and/or don't have the super elite athletic talent to run great route consistently against other people of similar ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I did coach for a couple of years. I'm in strength and conditioning now, so even though I'm no longer a football coach I'm still active within a program.

• Locked thread