Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Captain Satire posted:

Scotty a really good way to get to know the individual players other than Madden is to get into fantasy football. Not only does it force you to pay attention to the rising and falling stars of the NFL but it also gives you something else to cheer for during Sundays.

I run a league with a few Aussie mates, a German and two Canadians that might have a spot for you.

Some of the most exciting games for me last season were games in which the team I support was not even playing. That said, I support the Skins so its kind of understandable.

As for picking a team I would suggest you stay away from the big winning franchises of the last decade such as the Patriots, Colts or Steelers.

Teams that have just undergone radical overhalls might be a good idea. Seattle, Denver, Oakland, Washington and a few others have all undergone some radical changes recently.

The redskins in particular are a good bet to see a marked improvement in their on the field performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tahm Bwady posted:

The Prevent defense is basically used to prevent the team from throwing deep on you. It's used when 10-15 yard gains are allowable but a deep pass would be very bad, like at the end of games. It is so easy to beat because almost everyone is way, way, deep and playing the long ball. So you can easily get a 20 yard gain, but you won't get a touchdown

That's the theory, anyhow. However, when you have hall of fame receivers and running backs catching the ball in the open field, at best they're getting out of bounds and stopping the clock. At worst they have time to scan the field and make a big rear end play that makes your decision to go prevent look dumb as hell.

Prevent defense is the hallmark of the timid coordinator/head coach and is rightfully ridiculed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

What is a 'read'? What does a Quarterback actually do when he 'reads' a DE (for example)? Do passing plays generally have the reads built into them?

A read is when the quarterback or running back (whomever is making the decision on how the play is going to unfold) looks at the defense and makes an informed guess as to how the defense is going to defend against the next play. This guess can change how the play action is going to unfold, where the rusher is going to attempt to penetrate, or whether or not the QB calls an audible (change of play) before the snap.

If the quarterback is passing, or decides to pass on a play action, he then moves through a progression of "looks" where he checks off each receiver (determined during the creation of the play and in practice) in order in the hopes of trying to secure the best gain possible, or to save a blown play.

One trick a quarterback uses to confuse pass defense is to 'look off' his intended receiver. This means that the quarterback will focus his eyes on a different eligible receiver in order to trick the coverage into moving to contain that player, while the quarterback is really intending to pass to a different player. This is an absolutely essential skill against good pass defenses, as it helps reduce the chance of being intercepted and increases the chance for good yards after catch. In order for this to work well, you need your receivers to always run good routes, even if they know that a given play won't see them getting passed to, and that the receiver and the quarterback have good timing and synchronization.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ThatOtherGuy posted:

Yeah, Dallas and New England not being in the Villans category was not expected.

also please explain how Dallas has the best offense on paper.

I am quoting this to point out my complete and total agreement.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I honestly and unironically believe that Drew Brees was robbed of two MVP awards.

• Locked thread