Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What are you doing for workstation backups on the LAN? Environment doesn't trust the users at all to use the network drives so they insist on backing up workstations. Using the previous version of Retrospect right now, but the vendor says we're one of their biggest users at ~ 80 server+workstations and I find that hard to believe. Very unreliable so they're currently okay with having basically a weekly backup. Backups should be done every day so I'd like to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

Who the gently caress backs up workstations? Sounds like a terrible idea beyond automating the usual folders to their home directory on the network and backing that up.

I think that's part of the problem - some people have enough trouble just backing up a handful of servers which they control.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's the recommended book for Windows server? Something that covers AD and GPO and bonus points for getting into WSUS and other stuff. I've been away for two years and am not really sure what all has improved or changed since Server 2003.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have PTR records in a Windows 2003 DNS server with a name of 10_21_win7 which maps to x.x.10.21
Also have one for other clients such as 10_22 (without the _win7, it's an XP machine) which maps to x.x.10.22 (all of our clients are static IP).

I can't get an IPv4 address through DNS for just that record, but can get an IPv6 address.
code:
ping 10_21_win7 -4
Ping request could not find host 10_21_win7. Please check the name and try again

C:\Users\rob.vasquez>ping 10_21_win7

Pinging 10_21_win7.example.local [2002:8001:a15::8001:a15] with 32 bytes
Another host looks up fine:
code:
ping 10_22 -4

Pinging 10_24.example.local [128.1.10.24] with 32 bytes
I can, however, ping the host by IP

code:
ping  128.1.10.21

Pinging 128.1.10.21 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 128.1.10.21: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=122
Reply from 128.1.10.21: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=122
Reply from 128.1.10.21: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=122
Ideas? It also seems to reverse look up fine using the IPv4 address:

code:
nslookup 128.1.10.21
Server:  r-21.example.local
Address:  128.1.2.41

Name:    10_21_win7.example.local
Address:  128.1.10.21
I checked to make sure the hosts file didn't have anything but I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't see any errors in the Event Log on the DNS server either.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 28, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wyoak posted:

PTR records are for IP -> hostname lookup, A records are for hostname -> IPv4 lookup; do you have an A record setup for 10_21_win7?

Derp...That was it, it didn't have an A record only AAAA. Thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a way to set a TCP/IP filter or something in Windows that will change the TOS tag on packets for a certain port (say, telnet)?

The Windows telnet.exe doesn't seem to have the -S option that sets the TOS like the Linux client does.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wndp/archive/2007/10/09/introduction-to-windows-qos-traffic-control.aspx

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any suggestions on a program that will monitor disk space on a bunch of servers?

We have this unconfigurable report that runs every week and just gives you the numbers for every server. Unsorted, every server every week. I don't care about them unless they are running low, so it just gets ignored.

I want to be able to set something like "only alert me if it's under 2GB or 10%" or something like that. I don't have time to read through a bunch of poo poo every day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

I use cacti with the threshold plugin. Then I create a page with all of the disk space on it so I can see everything at once, and then set thresholds with email monitoring.

It's not super simple to set up, but once it's going it's great (and agentless, just use SMTP and the base Win2k profile).

I have a cacti setup already going - that's not a bad idea.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I work in research, typically with Linux or Unix-like OSes. One of our projects needs an Exchange server, and none of us really know how to do Windows server things, so I figured I'd ask here.

We're doing some testing with email servers. We basically need a very simple Exchange setup that will accept incoming messages via SMTP. Then, we'd like to be able to check how many messages have been received, possibly retrieving them all for analysis using something like fetchmail from a remote machine.

What do we need, at a bare minimum? Is this something that's feasible in a VM? What's licensing like? Note that this will never be used for actual email, just for generated test messages on an internal network.

It needs to be exchange and can't just be iMail or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PST FILES

Here's the situation. We have people that get thousands of little emails a day. They save them forever. We have users with over 100GB PST files but in general they are 20-40GB.

You can imagine what happens when someone has their computer crash and that giant PST has to be checked by Outlook for errors which takes half a day. And if ONE message is added or deleted from the PST you have to re-backup the entire new file.

I have threatened helpdesk with physical violence if they don't start splitting those into JOE-SMITH-2009.PST, JOE-SMITH-2010.PST etc., but that's been a slow process. The real problem is processes we have in place that will never change, we could keep half of those emails in some kind of notification database (not to mention the same email goes to 15 people). Once in a blue moon, someone needs to look up an email from 3 years ago.

I'm thinking a good solution would be some kind of magical box with a couple drives worth of storage that you could just upload a PST file to, and then it'd have some fancy-pants web interface (or better yet, Microsoft Outlook add-on) that let's you search for old messages.

Does such a thing exist or is there a better solution?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Maybe a separate Exchange server with a store for archives only?

We don't use Exchange at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does Microsoft put Exchange pricing out there anywhere? I'm trying to get an estimate on how much it would cost to implement Exchange but all the information online seems to be comparing internal to hosted Exchange.

Going to need new hardware to put it on, and back it up with as well. Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Not really. Would be easier and quicker to call someone like CDW to quote you.

Thanks, I'm going to do that this morning. Is 2013 becoming commmon? Is there backup software out there that supports it yet?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Not really. Would be easier and quicker to call someone like CDW to quote you.

Three tries with three reps no quote. Other suggestions?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's say I have Bob in the Accounting OU, and Dave in the Sales OU. I need to map a share to both Bob and Dave, but not anyone else in Sales or Accounting. What's the best way to do that, apply a drive share mapping GPO to both groups and filter out anyone who isn't Bob and Dave?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

Is this a permissions thing? If users don't have permissions to a drive map target, the mapping won't appear, so you don't have to worry about drive maps appearing for things people don't have access to.

I'd just put it in your users OU and only give the security group that those two users are a part of access to it.

Yea, I ended up just adding the users to it, seemed like there might be a better way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What are people using for web filtering and access logging?

The two big requirements are of course to be able to block users from visiting sites by URL or category, and also have the ability to see all of a users web traffic for a time period. Boss was gone on Monday so you spent all day on coupon sites and playing poo poo on Pogo? You're in trouble!

Right now we can do some very limited URL-based filtering through NOD32 (our AntiVirus solution) but the logging is non-existent since we have Endpoint Antivirus and not Endpoint Security. The later would give us category-based rules and logging.

We have a Checkpoint Firewall so we could buy the web filtering 'blade' for like $6,000 a year but I'd rather not give another dime to them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I setup squid a while back to see if we got any speed benefit out of it (we have dual T1's and 250 people so any speedup would be worth it) but only about 0.05% of requests actually went through the drat thing because of how the internet works now.

But we also had some issues because we have internal websites that depend on what IP address the requests come from (yay ASP apps from 2003) among other things so it was a little goofy.

I've used Websense before but what I like about ESET is that the filtering would be integrated with AV so there's one less program for computers to load up and run, and one less thing to administer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

When you re-direct My Documents to a network share or whatever, does it become convulted to actually access the My Documents folder to get the users poo poo out of there so you can put it on the network?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What are the common issues a Windows 7 PC on a domain would have incredibly slow network speeds, while another PC on the same switch would have no problem at all? I'm talking like 10kbs speeds...

Basically just copying files from a server over gigabit ethernet.

I've tried updating the drivers (happens on different PC's though) and running 'netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah, as said above. Check the cable going to the port, and if you have any testing equipment, check the run (and check the cable going from the patch panel to the switch).

I initially thought it was a bad PC (were setting up a new one, integrated network card) and we stuck the HD in another identical PC, plugged into the same port, and the files transferred at normal speeds. Happening on more than one port on the same switch.

Still check the cable?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 20, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

No, that sounds like either the network card is bad or the drivers need updating.

That's what I thought, plus these are refurbished HP desktop PC's, but fresh out of the box, and maybe that's why there were returned and refurbed.

But I've got a tech who's had the same issue on two different laptops. Maybe it's the cable run going to the switch in their cubicle.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doesn't the corporate version of dropbox allow you to control the users accounts?

We're using iDrive for laptops and we figured out any user can access any other users files, we pile as many users onto a 100GB account as we can. We're really just using it for backup but it's cheaper than say, BackBlaze which is $5/month or $60/year, which is a drop in the bucket for a $80k/year employee. Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's the best way to do a migration from MS SQL 2008 R2 on a 32-bit system, to a 64-bit system?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mindphlux posted:

like let's say someone calls you up complaining an application won't work on their desktop, they're like 'I'll be out for the next few days, could you take a look at it'.

Call me when you get back, I'm not working on it twice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ran into an interesting setup today. Imagine a bunch of folders on a file share:

Marketing
Accounting
HR

Instead of users being in an AD group named 'Marketing', and then having permissions assigned to the Marketing folder to the 'Marketing' AD group, there's a 'MarketingShareRead' and 'MarketingShareWrite' group with people in it, and then those groups are given permissions to that folder.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DHCP question:

Two Windows 2008 servers with the DHCP role installed. Two different address pools: 10.1.0.1-200 and 10.1.25.1-200

All machines on the LAN are using /16 subnet mask, there are only ~150 hosts so it's not the end of the world. There are a few groups of addresses, 10.1.0.x, 10.1.5.x, 10.1.10.x, 10.1.66.x, and 10.1.200.x - but no routing or anything like that setup since everyone is on a 255.255.0.0. Certain devices such as phones have been put in one group of addresses and have reservations made.

There's a bunch of lease reservations, some exist on both servers, some don't. Is there any method as to which server a client is serviced from? Just whoever answers first?

I'm guessing the fix (assuming both DHCP servers are to be kept) is to choose one address pool, split it between the servers, and make sure the reservations all exist on both. There currently are about 20 leases on the first server, and 70 leases on the second server.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Moey posted:

Out of curiosity, why the /16 subnet? Why not a few smaller ones if you want to split things up? Nutbag client?

:iiam:

I'd say they don't know any better.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What the hell is the justification for making a GPO that reboots everyone's PC at 1:00am?

It's bad enough the DC's are set to reboot every Sunday at 5:00am

Why the hell do you guys do that?

"I heard you have to restart Windows servers all the time."

NT 4 maybe...derp.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I'm guessing the fix (assuming both DHCP servers are to be kept) is to choose one address pool, split it between the servers, and make sure the reservations all exist on both. There currently are about 20 leases on the first server, and 70 leases on the second server.

Ended up making sure all the reservations from both servers were on server #2, then I removed the scope on #1, then on #2 I right clicked on the scope and chose 'split scope', added #1 and moved the slider over. Piece of cake.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The guy before me put adobe pdf reader, and java on all of our servers - DCs included. He never remote managed, and would rather stand at the rack staring into the little 800x600 console display whenever he needed to do anything.

If I had a dollar for every DC I saw with Office loaded on it....AAARG

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's the recommended event log consolidation/alert tool? Bonus points if it's free but we'll pay for it if it's awesome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

skipdogg posted:

There's quite a few, what exactly do you want alerts on?

I'd want it configurable I guess. What normally happens is we have some issue and then we go through the event logs on a server and see that for the last few days X has been happening.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any suggestions on giving a user access to a folder or single file that's 5 folders deep in a folder they don't have access to, other than telling them to have someone else put that file in a different folder?

Tom from Engineering needs to be able to write to something like \Sales\Healthcare\Forms\Return Unit Authorization.doc

Tom's not in sales. Not going to get access to the sales folder. And I don't want to break inheritance etc doing a one-off on all the subfolders etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Erwin posted:

Is he explicitly denied on all those folders, or just doesn't have rights? If the latter, can't you just give him modify on the file itself, and put a shortcut to it on his desktop? If he's explicitly denied, then yeah, you'd have to break inheritance.

He's not explicitly denied, but I don't want to give him a shortcut for every file that he asks for access to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's a good way to move files to another server and not have to add/change drive mappings on individual computers?

If the current drive is M: it's not a big deal to add the new server and map it to N:, but there are so many shortcuts and things in other programs that are expecting the M: drive

I thought you could do links of some sort on oldserver\share\folder1 ---> newserver\folder1

And then once everything is moved over, just switch the mounts on night/weekend.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's the best way to deal with the copier leases being up and 10 printers between 100 users being changed all in one day?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

You're not pushing printers via GP/AD?

We are. And we're using the Toshiba Universal driver. Turns out it was a nightmare last time (I wasn't here then) because they changed IP addresses too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

The only nightmare is if they have scan to email setup, then you need to manually re-populate that in each individual printer.

Usually you can just export/import that crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there some common policy used to open up administrative shares on all domain computers for some stupid reason?

A brand-new Lenovo laptop that I haven't even join to the domain can hit E$ on our file server and C$ on my deskop. I'm logged in as LENOVO. What the flying gently caress did someone enable?

And to follow that up, what's a good domain security auditing tool. Ugh.