Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
We're officially migrating our organization from W7 to W10 this year. Are there any good guides/books out there that cover common pitfalls, W10 GPOs probably worth turning on, other stuff to keep an eye out for during a migration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I've heard that best practice for GPOs is have each GPO only do one thing. If we're going to have lots of things we'll want to do via GPO, what's the best way to avoid having a dozen or two GPOs per OU? Can you nest GPOs like you can security groups so you can apply Policy1, Policy2, etc to SiteA GPO applied to SiteA OU to avoid it becoming a mess, while still being maintainable?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

skipdogg posted:

So this is a balancing act. Worth mentioning is a lot of Microsoft "Best Practices" were written 15 to 20 years ago, when slow wan links, slow lan links, and slow computers were the norm. Many of the issues their best practices seek to avoid are overcome easily with today's modern wan/lan links and fast workstations. I don't recall many recent discussions about Group Policy processing slowing down computer logons to the point where users complain. It's just not much of a thing anymore (but it can be if things aren't designed properly).

I personally group my GPO's by common settings that apply to a group of people or computers. Depends on how your AD is structured. Our AD is organized by region, and then by site, with sub OU's for Users, Workstations etc. I end up with 3 Site level GPO's for each site OU. For example the Sunnyvale office has 3 standard GPO's, one for users, one for workstations, one for servers. Each one of those GPO's might have 5 to 25 settings in it.

What you want to avoid is a huge GPO for everything that has tons of settings and WMI filters and things like that.

Try to find a balancing act. Sometimes there isn't one. I have a few one offs in production that were necessary. Still I have over 250 GPO's in production right now. Managing them isn't too bad once you learn how to automate changes to them in powershell. If I need to update 50 site-workstation gpo's, it just takes a minute via powershell.

There's no one size fits all when it comes to this. See what works best for you, and feel free to ask specific questions.

Windows 10 migration is coming up, since we gonna be reimaging most of the computers in our organization, this is a terrific opportunity to automate a lot of stuff we've been doing manually (public desktop shortcuts, software installs, printer mapping, etc) and keep things more standardized as changes happen. I want to make sure that whatever I put together is not only relatively easy to maintain, but understandable by someone who's never seen our AD/GPO structure before. My biggest immediate concern is I don't want to end up with oodles of unsorted policy objects that are difficult to sort through, but also don't want to eventually task someone with digging through all the settings in a policy to figure out what the hell else it seems to be responsible for doing.

I really want to learn AD PowerShell, but at least for the immediate future, I'll still need to be able to manage everything via the GUI until I have a better PS understanding and my boss is more comfortable with me using PS for more than queries.

Considering that, is there either a good method of documenting and tracking what each GPO does, or quickly displaying everything in a policy that's not default setting? The later would be especially useful, to help me better understand how our prod GPOs are currently set up, as opposed to building what I'd like to do in our test network and hoping for minimal conflict.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 13, 2019

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Thanks for the GPO recommendations!

Currently putting together what I'd like to do in the test network, some of it became waaay simpler when I learned about item-level targeting. (can do stuff cleanly like have all our drive mapping by security group in the same GPO) Feels like my head gonna pop, but I'm learning a lot, and is starting to come together!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

buffbus posted:

ILT is great. There are a handful of things I do with a registry preference using ILT and “remove when no longer applied” instead of admin templates so I can manage exceptions without tons of extra GPOs. A good place to find how to convert those is https://getadmx.com

It can go too far though. Depending on size of your org, all the drive mappings might be too much and result in super long logon times. Printer mappings are even worse if you do those. I’d just try to keep it at less than 100 or so mappings if you can. If you get into the 1000s that’s when the real pain starts.

Thanks, been keeping that in mind!

Did my first prod GPO deployment yesterday after making some child OUs to organize computer objects, just laptop + desktop power settings and an inactivity screen timeout, but goddamn does it feel good to make it happen.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Are there any restrictions to applying security groups to computer objects? Trying to prevent write-access to a network share on a specific computer that has to stay logged in by someone who has Modify access to that share.

$Folder has Read and Execute / Modify security groups
Created additional security group called $FolderNoWrite
Set NTFS permissions on share to explicit deny Write to $FolderNoWrite
Made $Computer member of $FolderNoWrite
Gpupdate, logged out and in

User was still able to make a text file on the share. Recreated in test network, still did not work when applied deny group to computer object, but did work when applied to the user object.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Useful to know, thanks!

Came up with a better solution. Created a separate user account that only has read-only access to the required share (info from the share is displayed on a TV) and restricted its login to only that computer.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I once had someone ask me to find an NTP client they could pay for.

There just might be a market for a company that offers paid/re-branded versions of non-problematic open/free standards and software. A support contract for software like Putty would straight-up print money.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

lol internet. posted:

So is ir safe to say then everyone is creatingnew users on prem and migrating to them?

Create user in AD, let propagate, use Enable-RemoteMailbox on the on-prem, assign O365 licenses

Probably something similar for already-existing users during the migration itself, minus creating them.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

kiwid posted:

I was thinking of maybe cleaning this up. Any tools out there to help with this?

You can use powershell to query AD to spit out various useful bits of information about your objects if you can think of anything you want out of your AD. (eg computer objects that haven't authenticated against AD in a year)

Most important thing you can probably do when cleaning up your AD is planning before you do it, and making sure what you're going to do will be consistent now, and maintainable from hereon out. Identify bad practices in what you do now (eg granting everyone write/full control to a share with a single security group that's grown significantly in scope, or adding users to a share instead of using groups at all) and figure out how you can improve it to no longer be terrible (create read/write security groups, or for shares with broad purposes, create some folders with disabled inheritance in the share and apply separate read/write security groups to those folders) Or create nested groups that apply to the employee's job function!

Additionally, remember Chesterson's fence. There might be a stupid hacky reason something nonsensical exists you won't learn the purpose of until its gone.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

kiwid posted:

Is there a way to enforce a GPP?

I created a power plan I want computers to use and I've set it to always apply and to make it the active plan, but users can still change the plan until the GPO updates again which changes it back. Is there a way to disable them from changing the plan?

I've looked under the system > power policies and I can set the active plan there which works but the plan is not updated with the settings I've set in GPP, it seems to be the default settings of the plan.

Which settings did you configure? My (everyone's) ability to change the power options and power plan are greyed out from the GPOs I set.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Tell me all about your preferences for solving problems the cheap way instead of the right way

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Microsoft project managers are you okay

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

What's a good way to assign GPO policies to users when item level filtering isn't an option? We decided to shut off Word/Excel/PowerPoint macros via GPO after a malicious .docm made it through our filters, but there are a few users who need to use Excel Macros from an outside organization to do their job, so we want to make Excel macros enabled for a few specific users.

My understanding is that you used to be able to use Security Filtering, but at some point MS decided that should apply to computer objects but not user objects. Ideally, I'd like to apply an explicit Excel macro-allowed GPO further down the AD tree (so it takes precedence), that applies only to users in a specific security group, but I'm unsure if that is still doable. What's the best way to have certain GPOs only apply to certain users without separating them by OU?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The computer account needs to have read rights now, but you can still do security filtering by setting read/apply delegation to a group of users and just plain read to authenticated users. Assuming this is a user-side policy.

Awesome, thanks!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

this opinion is brought to you by lastpass ask us about our corporate discounts

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

We do have network shares for each user, would that be the best way to do that? I'd love if there was a way to automate this because I have a dozen PCs like this to do.

If you've got AD, a longer term solution would be to set up security groups for all major shares, configure automapping in group policy management, and use item-level targeting to only have it map for users in those security groups. We've gotten so many fewer calls asking to map $Drive since I set it up, and it's another thing we have to think less about during our migration.

New or existing user needs access to $Drive? Add them to the applicable security group and forget about it.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

Please no. Just make a separate clearly labeled mapping policy per security group.

Is there a good way to organize group policy objects? Recently learned how to filter GPOs by security group, but my next concern about going full-ham one-GPO-does-one-thing is organizing everything without an obnoxiously long list to sort through each time I need to apply something. Obvs good naming convention is important, but ideally I'd like a way to compartmentalize by category or something that makes it easier to sort through.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

Not really. The list sorts alphabetically so a good naming scheme helps. 1:1 GPO to thing isnt really necessary, you can combine things that are similar to save space if you do it intelligently.

I really just hate item level targeting because people make huge messes with it under the false assumption fewer GPOs = Better for some weird reason.

Thanks! Been doing my best to create and organize our GPOs/security grouping by category in a way that would feel fairly intuitive for anybody who may inherit what I'm putting together down the line. Right now I've put together a Drive Maps GPO using item-level targeting for read/write security groups, but my long-term plan to get and keep file-access/mapping clean and organized is

- Each $Site has one primary share, with a security group that can grant users Read+Execute
- In the share are several inheritance-disabled folders, each for a program the site is responsible for, with their own Read/Write security groups
- Each of the above security groups is a member of the security group that grants Read+Execute to the root of that site's share
- Drive mapping GPO has one entry per $Site, with item level targeting allowing for anyone in the root Read+Execute group
- If a user needs access to any of $Site's folders, they're added to the relevant security group for that folder, which also adds them to Read+Execute root group, causing the root drive for $Site to automap

In the even longer term, I’m going to create security groups for common types of employees and use nested grouping to grant them the minimum-level access that those employee types need.

Still need to test all this, once we've got our W10 and '08R2 migrations complete. Really excited about tackling this, and it should keep the auto-mapping list fairly short and consistant.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Now that W7 is mostly migrated, I need a way to get any remaining W7 laptops on the domain out of the woodwork.

What's a GPO I could hit W7 systems with that would cause a situation that would be annoying enough that the users will have to give us a call, but is remotely reversible (so no breaking the NIC) once I can get their info down and a promise to bring their laptops to HQ?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just run an AD report on your win7 computers, or is tracking down who has them the issue?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, you should just be reviewing AD, and making people get new equipment.

I'm fairly sure there are several laptops that are sitting in random employee drawers that they were assigned before we had any inventory control system that only ever get used once in a blue moon. Gonna do a review of recently authenticated W7 systems soon once we're sure all W7 systems we can find are out, but I can't just go by all W7 objects themselves because nobody used to delete the computer objects when they were decommed.

So if I can just make something obnoxious happen that teeechnically doesn't prevent them from working when they authenticate a few months from now, it's another thing I won't have to think about until they call.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Any good recommended processes/resources to learn more about ticket auditing? Looking to improve our process and avoid (usually complicated) tickets falling through the cracks and sitting in purgatory, often caused by failure to escalate.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

We've had good experience with Sophos, at least compared to moving away from the disaster that is SEP

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Create a security group for the exceptions, add the exceptions to the security group, then go into the delegation tab for the GPO and click "Advanced". Add the exception security group, allow "Read" deny "Apply group policy".

Make sure it's computers in the security group if you're going computer policy instead of user policy.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Moey posted:

This is similar to what I do when I get forced to do dumb poo poo like this on selective machines/accounts randomly across our domain. Security Filtering is your friend.

It's stupid-useful. Other important security filtering method is to only have it apply to people/computers in the security group. Go into the delegation tab for the GPO and click "Advanced". Add the security group you want the GPO to affect, allow "Read" allow "Apply group policy", then untick (but don't deny) "apply group policy" on Authenticated Users, but keep Read. (if you remove Read or Authenticated Users the GPO will fail to apply) Remember that the policy still has to be linked to a relevant OU.

Once you have both those down it's incredible how much flexibility you have with setting policies opposed to making a mess of OUs.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Don't have to worry about KMS if your enterprise so behind the curve you still use MAK :colbert:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Are you talking about when you grant yourself access to a folder? Folders are set to inherit permissions from the folders parent. (unless you've explicitly disabled inheritance on a particular folder)

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Imo it's a bad idea to use mail-enabled security groups because even though the list of names for the distribution list and file share overlap perfectly now, they may not later. Part of my AD cleanup before everything blew up required decoupling some of those into two separate groups because needs change over time.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I know what number I'm forwarding unsolicited vendors to from hereon out

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

You can still have a mail hygiene appliance between O365 and the outside world without having to have the device on-prem, you just need to move to a virtualized cloud appliance.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Dameware didn't impress me, I mean it worrrrked, but my experience was it felt fairly limited, but idk how it was actually set up or if it was set up correctly

When we moved to Bomgar it was fantastic, and you can do so many things with it, but it's expensive af and ever since they were bought by BeyondTrust their support has been sub-trash. Software is still pretty great tho.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah the worst part about Dameware is that we could only access systems on our network. Relying on users to be able to connect to a VPN isn't reliable at all. If Dameware can do that now it wouldn't be greaaaat, but it would solve the worst problem about it.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I saw something like that on a 20H2 system I set up the other day, but didn't have time to look at the cause. Did you make sure your ADMX/ADML files are updated for 20H2?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Probably dumb question: A quick google search says MAB operates at layer 2, and seems to affect layers 2-3/4 in some capacity (depending on what they mean by port) if its an authentication issue, wouldn't that be a completely seperate issue at the application level?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I'm still feeling optimistic because MS decided to publicly announce their changing their AAD SLA from 99.9% to 99.99% after the last major AAD outage. And another major outage, and not just any outage but specifically an AAD major outage that took everything else down with it is going to cause a lot of hell to be raised. They can't go back to 99.9% and not expect to lose waves of customers during a period of major growth. MS has no way out of this mess but to fix their processes.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Daisy chain a bunch of powered USB hubs and Raid 0 those mofos

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I think there's a legacy GPO for screensavers specifically but I've never tried using it

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah I wouldn't set the users passwords to expire. Force complexity yes, but password expiration encourages bad more-guessable passwords.

E: Focus on 2FA instead of expiration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Password expiration is unfortunately going to take a long time to die from the number of people still married to a government recommendation from the 90's about as accurate as the contemporary food pyramid instead of the government recommendation of today and many, many major companies and organizations. Resistance to MFA is also a big factor, both from the user perspective of them hating anything even slightly inconvenient, especially suits, and the IT perspective of either being stretched too thin to take on the project of setting it up, or just not wanting to make the effort to implement.