Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our domain(s) right now is held together with WSUS and GPO installed software, but we're working on SCCM right now. Our Windows guy doesn't know much about SCCM (which he will freely admit), but togheter we're kludging through it. We've got software deployment pretty much figured out (I hope) but we're pretty confused about imaging. Which is to say, we don't even know what the gently caress imaging is yet. We're just building fresh images for our installs so far, even though we both know there's a better way. But we're confused about where drivers go, and I brought up a doozy today: How do we keep an image up to date if it's full of frequently updated software (Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe Reader, Flash, etc)? I know somebody here has to be way better than we are at this, so I was hoping for some advice.

Also, feel free to hijack this thread for other Enterprisy Windows talk, since there don't seem to be any threads for such things.

E: You want an OP? Here's an OP
Powershell thread in CoC
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

devmd01 posted:

WSUS and GPOs for security policies, the rest is handled through Altiris.

Poorly.

I should know, i'm the one that does it. :colbert:

I have no thoughts on Altiris, other than that the people that ran one of these domains used Altiris, were obsessed about patching, and hadn't installed 2.5 year old Windows Updates (or even SP3) and had oodles of old software laying around (Whoo Java 5.0 and Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0!)

Also the loving hidden Altiris boot partition makes me want to hurt somebody.

I hope you are better with Altiris. Unless your office is now just down the hall from me, in which case, gently caress.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

demonachizer posted:

Bleh no admin control over DHCP. Just over the AD for our area of the university and of course all of our clients.

Are there lots of things that have to be done on the DHCP server to get the deployment end up and running?

You would only need DHCP to do PXE installs, and you can work around that by creating a task sequence disk that basically contains the boot image that PXE would give you, so that it can pull the rest of the stuff off the server. And once you're going with SCCM you don't need to PXE boot anymore, because you can advertise a reinstall to a running client, and SCCM will just do it.

I have these fantastical visions of reimiging the whole office to Win 7 one night while I sleep, but I know that won't happen. I can dream.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

monkeybounce posted:

There's (in my opinion) an easier way to do a deployment with SCCM that supports multiple configurations and doesn't require a stock image.

Start a build and capture task sequence using Operating System Installation Files, modify the task sequence to add all of your software/etc then delete the capture part of the sequence.

I've got a series of scripts (if anyone wants them, I'll post them) that will prompt for Username/Department/etc and creates task sequence variables which then drive the rest of the installation.

For example, when I start the task sequence, I get prompted for Username and Department. It creates a variable to name the computer JSMITH-WS and then installs software based upon that department.

There's 1 task sequence for all of my machines, no need to gently caress around with base images and sysprep. I've even allowed end users to rebuild their own machines when they've gotten a virus and I've been out of the office.

It's an amazing product and Microsoft really hit the nail on the head with it. My only complaint is the "welcome" page when any time you start a wizard.

We're currently trying to figure out if we want to build and capture then image, or just build each time. We don't have a lot of the same hardware (although it's all Dell Optiplex, so it's probably pretty similair) so I'm thinking it might just make more sense to do a new build each time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
SCCM guys, how do you deal with your drivers? Right now we're making a folder for each driver, and then putting the driver in that folder, and then making a package named the same as the folder. I know this is a terrible way to do it, but we just don't know enough about SCCM yet to know how to do it the right way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bob arctor posted:

We have an awesome GPO thread, a virtualization thread, Cisco thread and a few others, does anyone think perhaps a Windows Server Network Admin Megathread is called for?

I made this thread with the intention of it turning into something like this

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress, this is killing me. Is there a way to stop advertising a task sequence to a collection?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

As in, "oops, I didn't mean to do that"?

You can remove the read rights from the folder on the deployment point, but that is if you are advertising a package.

Whatever you do, don't delete the advertisement. If you do, you lose all logs about who was affected.

For drivers, I make one driver package for each model computer. In my task sequence, I use installation media instead of a wim. I use WMI conditions on each "apply driver package" to restrict it to the appropriate model.

I prefer using installation media instead of a wim so that if anything changes (new model computer, new version of software) it is a matter of swapping out one step in the task sequence.

We do not have control of DHCP either (woo academia), so we perform DVD media installs. When you create the DVD image, it asks you if you want to specify any task sequence variables. If you specify something like 'Hostname' to have no value, you can then put a step in your task sequence that sets OSDComputerName (or whatever the correct task sequence variable for hostname is) equal to 'Hostname'. When running the deployment DVD, it will prompt you for a value for 'Hostname'. You could also write an HT, or use scripts, but this is a simple way to do it.

During our big Vista rollout a while back, we needed to specify hostname, container, and username (to add to the local admin group, because everyone is an admin on their computer, woo!), but everything else was automated.

We want to get rid of an advertisement of a task sequence. We're still in testing, so we make a lot of advertisements, and the best we've come up with is to make a new collection for each new iteration of our task sequence.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

Right click disable? (although that disables each each advertisement of the task sequence)

I'm not sure I quite understand your language.

I don't even know where to find a task sequence advertisement.

Let's try it this way I suppose. I've got my task sequence all good to go, and I set it to advertise to a collection. Whoops, I forgot to check the box that says "Advertise this to PXE boots." So, I want to keep the collection, and I want to keep the task sequence, but I don't want to keep that particular advertisement. Does that make sense, or have I gone so far off the deep end that I should go back to playing with blocks? :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

zapateria posted:

Just go to Software Distribution -> Advertisements, you'll find your advertised task sequences there. Delete it. Task Sequence is still alive (under Operating System Deployment -> Task Sequences), advertisement is gone.

gently caress we are such idiots how did we never see this. I thought I'd looked in that section already, but I forgot to actually use my eyes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I finally managed to get a task sequence all by myself to actually install the loving operating system!
:w00t:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Wow, thanks Ricoh, your drivers suck. The Dell provided driver extracts to... another executable, and that doesn't extract to anything. So I guess no INF for SCCM to push out.
:ughh:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Any suggestions for a thread title? My unimaginitve idea is "Tell me about your Enterprise Windows management, Megathread edition!"

Onto other things, I've figured out how I want to deploy the OS to my clients. Since we have so many hardware types I'm not going to bother to capture an image, just build it on each machine. I'm trying to figure out how to install software. I don't want to put an explicit "install this package" for each of our 10 basic packages into each task sequence (I'm going to have a task sequence for each hardware models) because that makes it a huge pain in the rear end when a new version of Firefox comes out. Right now I'm just advertising everything to the client as regular software and hoping it gets picked up. What I'd really like to do is have a task sequence to install core apps (We already have this actually) and have my deployment task sequence run that task sequence for me, so I would only ever have to update the core apps task sequence and keep all my builds up to date.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

zapateria posted:

Wouldn't you just update your "Firefox" package and not have to do anything with task sequences since they would just include the updated package?
I guess... I'd never thought about it that way. Right now we're making a new package for each version of software. So we'd have a firefox 3.5 package, firefox 3.5.1, etc. We haven't actually upgraded any packages yet though, so this is subject to change. I guess any advice in this department would be welcome as well. I'm guessing it would be a really bad idea to try and stick multiple programs into a single software package?

Noel posted:

Don't do this.

Instead, overload a single task sequence.

:aaaaa:
I never would have thought about that. I'm assuming that WMI data gets pulled from the hardware itself, so I don't have to do anything myself?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

WinPE can query WMI when running a task sequence. That link I posted goes into pretty fine detail.

So for our staff Vista task sequence, all I ever modify is updating applications, and adding a new driver package when a new model computer comes along. SCCM gets a lot easier once you have the "base" set up.

Well in that case it wouldn't at all be a big deal to make a new package for software update, because I only update it once.
E: If I have a group for machine specific application installs, and give it a WMI query, it will only run it's sub tasks if the WMI query is true, correct?
E2: A closer reading reveals my assumption to be correct.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 24, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
marketingman, that tool worked for the Ricoh drivers, but not for 2 other drivers. Oh well, every little bit helps.

Anyway, does anybody have a problem with SCCM where it stops advertising to a client? I was all excited to day to troubleshoot this laptop, and after one sucesful reimage, it doesn't get any advertisements anymore. I've had to delete the machine and re-add a computer association, now it sees everything again. What gives?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Here's a fun fact that stumped me:
Each Driver package needs a unique data source. The guy who set it up assumed that SCCM would be smart enough to segregate the driver files, and only download the right stuff to the client. Wrong. It just blindly downloads whatever is in that directory to the client and tries to apply it all. Also, it looks like if you delete a driver from the database without first deleting it from the package, it stays in the package forever. So make sure each of your driver packages has a unique data source folder.

Now a question:
Is there a way to rename the advertised name of packages? I love that you can be super specific with the name, but nobody really cares that they're installing "Skype Technologies S.A. SkypeTM 4.2 4.2.169 Enlish (United States) - Per-system unattended." They just want Skype.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

Use "Apply Driver Package" instead of "Auto Apply Drivers". Better to have control over what is happening.

I think SCCM should just handle the driver package location in the same way it does for other packages. That did seem a bit strange. I have not seen your issue with drivers sticking around forever after they are deleted. It just disappears from the driver package for me, and when I tell the driver package to update, it's no longer there, either.

I was unable to find a way to rename advertisements. I agree, it is annoying. I try and make a Task Sequence for just about everything I deploy. It gives the end user a pretty window to look at without having to allow interaction with the program installer. It allows me to name it whatever I wants.

As far as I can tell it just copied everything from the driver source folder onto the local machine and lets XP sift through the pile for the right infs. I noticed that if I'd watch my task sequence it would download stuff like DellTouchpad.exe, which I know isn't in my dekstop driver package. No more problems since putting each driver package in its own folder.

Now, am I stupid, or are intel 64 bit storage drivers a pain in the rear end? I'm getting a new machine going with Win 7, and even though I don't need SATA drivers to do the install, I'd still rather install the actual Intel SATA drivers than use the generic Windows ones. So I download the driver, extract it, and there's no .inf or txtsetup.oem file in the drive package. If I run the installer on the machine it installs a driver and it shows up as being used for the disk controllers, but I can't figure out how to add it into the driver package. I shouldn't have to execute a silent install of the package in my TS to get this to work. C'mon, this is intel, they know better!

E: And I think I figured it out myself. I had to get the F6 drivers from Intel, instead of the installer.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 13, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

We manage just fine with a single virtual Server 2008 print server and about 40-60 printers. There's definitely some driver hell, but it handles the load just fine. If you're going to be dealing with 150 printers then I suppose one virtual print server with a single failover would work okay. If you're paranoid about a driver install you can always make a snapshot before you install it (if you decide to take the virtualization route.)

How do you guys install your drivers? We've got a CUPS server that shares the printers to Windows clients via SAMBA, and we just browse to the share from a Windows machine, and install the drivers onto each printer on the server. Then when a client adds the printer, it downloads the driver.

This whole thing sucks for some reason, and we're not adverse to the idea of throwing the printers on our Windows file server. What's the best way to deal with print drivers in Windows?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress Java.

That's all I have to say.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

gently caress Java.

That's all I have to say.

So what the gently caress Java. I'm trying to install 32 bit Java on a 64 bit Win 7 machine, because of course we still have 32 bit browsers. It looks like Java is making GBS threads itself because the MSI basically drops a zip file into the JRE directory, and then extracts it. But it just sits spinning its wheels forever, because I think it's looking in C:\Program Files, and not C:\Program Files (x86) for its Zip file.

gently caress man, I don't even know.

Jesus, I've slipped so far into the rabbit whole. Apparently there's a packing committee on campus, just for packaging software?

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 23, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

djben posted:

32 bit java on 64-bit Windows is definitely a pain. There is an issue with the Java installer running in the 64-bit command shell. I spent a good bit of time searching around for an easy solution (I actually got it working by extracting the msi manually but that sucks). Many hours spent in regmon and filemon... not very fun.

I have resolved the problem by modifying a registry key used by the SYSTEM account that initiates the silent Java install.

I took a screenshot of my own Kaseya script/procedure for deploying Java where you'll see the registry key I had to set for the installer and how I leverage it:

http://files.kaseya.com/sftp/javaupdate.png

The key you need to change:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-18\ProfileImagePath

Typically, it has a value of "%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile", data type reg_sz.

For the 32-bit Java installer to work silently when run as a SYSTEM account on a 64-bit machine, it can be set to "%systemroot%\syswow64\config\systemprofile". I'd recommend changing it back to the original value once the install completes.

Hopefully Sun fixes their installer soon, before they run out of money sueing Googling ;)

This might be the easiest way. I'm working really hard on zero touch imaging, then some stupid professor decided to buy the cheapest loving machines he could find (no XP drivers!). So boom, he's breathing down my back while I deploy a whole new OS on a whole new architecture (64 bit). It's even better because, due to some end of financial year fuckups, it took him two months to get these machines. A lot of that is his fault for not communicating properly. So when they show up in my office, he's been waiting for two months, but as far as I'm concerned, he's been waiting a few minutes. It's now been two weeks. I was going to have these done last Tuesday, and now I've been fighting with Java ever since.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

marketingman posted:

I'll be honest, and excuse me for contradicting someone that is obviously very knowledgeable, but that Java install for x86 is way to complicated when you can simply UniExtract the downloaded installer and run the MSI within it.

If you're using SCCM you just put the extracted files into a package and deploy it, telling it to run the MSI. It's really as simple as that. Across architecture doesn't change.

It shouldn't, yet somehow it does. People have reported that the x86.exe installer won't run under the SYSTEM user on x64 because the installer assumes the files are in system32, when they're in wow64. I can only guess that this is the same reason the MSI fails, because the MSI extract all of its files, but never extracts its compressed files. I don't know how MSIs usually run, but I suspect the Java MSI runs differently than most, that is, it extracts a zip file that then gets extracted, rather than just extracting the files.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

djben posted:

32 bit java on 64-bit Windows is definitely a pain. There is an issue with the Java installer running in the 64-bit command shell. I spent a good bit of time searching around for an easy solution (I actually got it working by extracting the msi manually but that sucks). Many hours spent in regmon and filemon... not very fun.

I have resolved the problem by modifying a registry key used by the SYSTEM account that initiates the silent Java install.

I took a screenshot of my own Kaseya script/procedure for deploying Java where you'll see the registry key I had to set for the installer and how I leverage it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-18\ProfileImagePath

Typically, it has a value of "%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile", data type reg_sz.

For the 32-bit Java installer to work silently when run as a SYSTEM account on a 64-bit machine, it can be set to "%systemroot%\syswow64\config\systemprofile". I'd recommend changing it back to the original value once the install completes.

Hopefully Sun fixes their installer soon, before they run out of money sueing Google ;)

Quoting this, because you are a loving champion. Finally, a week of work culminates in Java actually loving installing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've gotten SCCM down to completely hands free once I boot from CD. My SCCM server sits on one network, and my clients are on three separate network. On one network we run ISC DHCP, and on the the other two I don't have that much control (all I can do is change the MAC for an IP), so I haven't bothered much with PXE booting. I'm also not sure how I feel about the unknown computer stuff, though it could be useful, but I worry with my users that they'll break it and abuse it somehow.

I've also taken the hard route of importing every driver into SCCM and then creating driver packages, mostly because I didn't know you could do it any other way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

I use driver packages as well, and I definitely believe it's the way to go. I overload my OSD Task Sequences with each driver package with a WMI condition.

I feel like it gives me more control and consistency.

I don't do unknown computer. New PCs use thick DVDs, or I pre-seed them in SCCM.

I've read that what some people do is import the network and SATA drivers into SCCM so that they can put them into boot images, but the rest they just copy into the sccm drivers folder on the file system, because all SCCM does is copy that folder onto the computer after it dumps the image and says "hey, do any of these infs work for you?"

Took forever to figure out how that worked, because the guy who set this up had all the drivers dump into the root folder, so it was the same as applying all drivers always, which didn't work for well when Win 7 x64 drivers got installed onto 32 bit Win XP.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

lol internet., I'm not quite sure what you mean. I always use "Apply Driver Package" and never "Auto Apply Drivers", but I still have to import the drivers and put them in the driver packages.

Do you point the 'Data Source' tab directly at where you expanded your drivers? If so, wow, this removes an annoying step (import, add to package).

I think he's adding an extra step, but one less than what you're doing.

When you create a new driver package, you specify a path for the files to get stored at. On our server we've got it set up like this:
\\server\drivers\SCCM
\\server\drivers\source(xp3|Win7_x64|Win7_x32)\Model Name
I make the driver package directory something like \\server\drivers\SCCM\XP Latitude E6410.

I drop the uncompressed files into source, based on what they're called. Import into SCCM, then add them to the drive package. Then SCCM copies whatever's at \\server\drivers\sccm\<package name> to the Distribution Point(s).

You can eliminate the middle man by only importing storage and network into SCCM, then just copying the files from source directory to SCCM directory.

I'm still not sure what I like best. If I did it the raw way I could just dump the extracted driver CAB that Dell gives out into the SCCM directory and make my deployments a hell of a lot easier, but it seems so hackish.

For reference, here's what my driver console looks like:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Crazak P posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I'd like to upgrade our active directory domain controllers from windows 2000 to windows 2008. I'm wondering if it's possible to add a 2008 domain controller to a 2000 AD schema after I run adprep? Then I could just give the new 2008 DC all the roles, demote the other DCs, format and install 2008 on the old DCs, then promote them back.

We currently have four DCs and I'm about to demote two of them. The remaining two DCs would be virtualized, so I can test run adprep. We were thinking of pairing our domain controllers down to only two machines, one physical and one virtual, but maybe we want more. We have about 300 users. Am I going about this the right way?

I'm not an expert on AD, but that should work. At some point you should raise the domain to 2008 functional level.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm confused. Wouldn't dumping their user file mean poo poo like Skype history would get copied too?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

At least Google put out an MSI and ADM for Chrome.

Come the gently caress on Firefox, it's not that hard to hire 1/8th of a full time person to package for Windows.

In one of our labs we're installing IE (obviously) and Chrome, but no Firefox. Now that there's another viable option for "alternative browser", we chose the one that is not a pain in the rear end to update. (and no, those community MSIs are not a viable option for us).

That's what I love about SCCM. If I can get a program to install automatically, I can have it run through SCCM. Firefox and Thunderbird are as easy as extracting the downloaded file with 7zip, and running 'setup.exe -ms'

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lol internet. posted:

Anyone have suggestions for folder structure on imported Storage and Ethernet drivers?

For the most part, I use driver packages\non imported. But with some older machines, I simply cannot always set the Storage mode to IDE\Compatability so I will have to import.

I really dislike importing due to the fact I can't import doubles. Unless someone knows how this is possible. I would love to hear how you do it.

All our machines are Dell, which makes things a bit easier. I make a folder for the driver name, then a sub folder that is "<dell revision number> <driver version number>" Then when I get a new model I can easily see if I have the driver imported or not.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lol internet. posted:

Is the out of SCCM folder structure the same?

Also, when you use SCCM to "Import" the drivers. Do you need to keep the source folder you imported it form? Or can you delete it as SCCM "Imported" the drivers and if I recall correctly, you set the destination where the Imported drivers are kept.

The "Source" is structured like this:
Source\(XP3|Win7x64|Win7x32)\Computer Model\(vga|nic|audio|etc)

I only did that for convience of getting new models of computers going. I create a package in SCCM for the model of computer, then add to the driver package any drivers I've already imported (these are mostly optiplexes or latitudes so they use the same audio/chipset/storage/nic for the most part). Then I download the rest of the drivers I need, and extract them to C:\Dell\Drivers (which I clear out before hand). I rename the R216818 style folders to something more descriptive (vga, wireless, etc). Then I drag all these into the "Computer Model" folder. From there I import into SCCM, then add the new drivers to the package.

When you create the drive package, you pick a filesystem path for it. I'm not sure what SCCM does with the drivers once it imports them. The grey beard thinks everything gets imported into the SQL database, but I'm not really sure about that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lol internet. posted:

But what do you do when two different models have the same driver? (ie. ethernet.)

You can't import it again correct? It will error out at the import screen. Do you just ignore this error then? I assume if it errors, you can't add it to the package. You would have to manually go and select the already imported driver.

I only put in the Source directory those drivers I don't already have imported. For example, my Source folder for the Latitude E6410 has 20 drivers in, but the similair Latitude E6400 only has 10 drivers, because I just reuse the existing ones.

I imported the a broadcom GigE driver a year ago and have used it in almost all of the driver packages.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

I do the same as FISHMANPET. I have a similar structure, but I don't care if, for example, the Optiplex330 folder has the audio driver, but the Optiplex360 folder does not. The driver packages I make in SCCM are the definitive articles. I could delete my source folders if I wanted.

When you tell SCCM to store a driver package somewhere, like \\server\DriverPackages\, it puts a folder named: %DriverPackageName%, which has a bunch of hex folders like: 40ADF883-0979-46DD-88B0-39592CBD646E\, one for each driver in that package.

Yep, it's a practice I started when I first started with SCCM because I wasn't sure what I was doing, but now I keep doing it because I can drop a new folder into my source folder for a new machine rather than dump all the drivers into a root directory.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lol internet. posted:

- How do you deal with multiple advertisements that need to run in a specific order. (ie. Office 2007 x32 needs to be uninstalled prior to installing Office x64 2010)

- Also in advertisements, is there a way to force a restart first? If a user has outlook opened, I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to update/uninstall.

- Lastly, I haven't tried this yet, but how does SCCM software handle updates? (ie. MSI/exe updates.) Adobe 8 -> Adobe 9. Should you create a advertisements that uninstalls first, or are you good to just run installer

Is there a reason you're going to 2010 x64? Even Microsoft recommends you still use the 32 bit version, unless you're working with enormous files (aka excel spreadsheets bigger than a couple Gb). As for the uninstall/install, there's a few ways you can do that. You can have to packages, one to uninstall 2007, another to install 2010. You can have the 2010 install package run the 2007 uninstall package first. You could also write a script that does the uninstall for you, and then the install. This is probably the best idea, as it allows you a bit more control over what's going to happen (what do you do if you come to a computer that doesn't have 2007?). A task sequence would work, but is kind of ugly, as it advertises to the user as a mandatory operating system deployment, which might freak them out.

You can set a package to only run when the user is logged off, though that requires your users to log themselves off. But when it all comes down to it, it depends on how well the install package works. Firefox and Thunderbird are happy to be installed while the old version is running, they'll just ask the user for a restart if you want to open Firefox again.

And software updates, those are up to the vendor. All SCCM will do is run the program. If installing Adobe 9 on a system with Adobe 8 would remove Adobe 8 normally, then that's what will happen. If that's not the case, the you'll need to manually remove Adobe 8.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 14, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lol internet. posted:

Sorry for filling the thread with tons of questions as SCCM has a huge learning curve I found. But any tricks/tips/cool things you've noticed with SCCM that you would like to share? Or perhaps some mistakes\solutions you've made? For me, drivers was a total clusterfuck, I just spent a poo poo load of hours doing it and doing it wrong everytime till eventually I got a solid understanding of it.

No problem, that's why I made the thread, because I was in the same boat.

Here's a tip that somebody else gave me that blew my mind:

Overload your OSD with all the driver packages you need. You can add a WMI query so it only applies the package if the computer is the right hardware model, so you only have one task sequence to keep up to date with new software packages.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Noel posted:

Why would it show a notification at all if I set it to Mandatory (As soon as possible) and uncheck "Allow users to run the program independently of assignments"

I haven't played around with this very much to be honest. All I've done with OSD is advertise it to a collection that allows the user to run it, then only put machines I want imaged right now in that collection. I've only done the mandatory thing once, and then the user was still allowed to run it on their own.

But I think some software packages and Windows updates will pop up a warning "this poo poo is gonna happen in 30 minutes, or right now if you click this button," so I wouldn't be surprised if task sequences did the same thing.

I also get spergy because they all co-mingle in the Add/Remove Programs dialog box, but in the "Run Advertised Programs" thing in the control panel, task sequences show up as Operating System Deployments and everything else is Software Packages.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

djben posted:

Hopefully Sun fixes their installer soon, before they run out of money sueing Google ;)

Since I just had to deal with this myself again, I feel like quoting to point out that this exact method is still needed for 6u24.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Spudman posted:

I have 6 DCs and 3 sites, 2 DCs per site. Each DC is Windows 2008 x64... I'm considering performing an adprep /forestprep and /domainprep on my live environment so that I can begin introducing 2008 R2 DCs into the mix. I don't really foresee any problems, but anyone have any experience with this and have any considerations before I go loving up our domain?

(Update resume, leave town...)

If you're that paranoid, you don't need to upgrade the functional level to add 2008 R2 DCs, they'll just operate at 2008 functional level. Hell, you can join a 2008 DC to an NT domain and keep it at the NT functional level.

Also, I don't think you can raise the functional level to anything higher than the lowest DC, so you'd have to replace all your 2008 DCs to raise to R2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Spudman posted:

I actually don't plan on raising the functional levels at all. At least not right now. Just upgrade the DCs. Is it completely 100% necessary? No, but obviously it's thinking toward the future since Microsoft's future endeavors are all going to be focused on R2. Plus I have a DC at each site right now with WDS on it... and the R2 version of WDS is so much better than the 2k8 one. Just set up WDS on a member server and leave your DCs alone, you say? Well I'd be doing the upgrade eventually anyway... but thanks for allaying my paranoia. :)

edit: Also, you can't put a 2k8 DC into an NT domain. You could put it into a 2000 domain, but not until you forestprep and domainprep. Raising functional levels is a separate issue altogether.

Welp, that's what I get for not reading closely enough. And now that I think about it, when I setup my most recent domain on 2008 R2, 2000 was the lowest possible level it supported.