Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

marketingman posted:

Another thing to consider is if WSUS is working fine, do you *really* need to transfer to SCCM? In my cases it's always been yes because I'm an SCCM whore of the worst kind (I've deployed Linux via SCCM rather than set up Puppet).

I want to know about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bear shark posted:

Anybody have experience deploying Adobe Creative Suite? I have it working by specifying --mode=silent to the installer, but is it there a quiet or passive mode that shows the progress bars? It's a little annoying to only have the MDT window up while that's running.

I would love in general for programs (at least the big ones) to show some kind of progress bar as they install. Some applications (MikTex comes to mind) have an option where it will install with an answer file, show the progress box, but not allow the user to click anything. That, plus allowing the user to "interact" with the program via SCCM is really nice, but I don't think there's a universal way to do it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For all the stupid poo poo that adobe does in regards to packaging their software, they do have a lot of enterprise documentation.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well I've got about 150 clients about to be split between two management servers (currently two departments on same server, but splitting for political reasons).

I didn't have to install the server so I can't speak to the difficulty of that. There was quite a bit of trial and error on learning how to do machine reinstalls, but now that it's running, it's amazing. There's also a cost/benefit analysis for each software package. The important stuff like Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe Reader, Flash, and Java are a no brainer. If I had to deal with those on a PC-by-PC basis I'd kill myself. When it gets down to other software it's a combination of how easy it is to package versus how many people will want the software.

Basically, I think SCCM is awesome.

E: Whenever I describe to a user how I'm going to do whatever to their machine, I just say it's magic, because it pretty much is.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

quackquackquack posted:

The tricky part about SCCM compared to Group Policy software deployment is that SCCM does not have an "install on startup" option for packages. This matters for those programs that actually need other programs to be closed when installing. I'm looking at you, Flash, Creative Suite, etc.

If your environment already has a well defined "everyone logs off/shuts down their computer every night", this isn't an issue. But in my environment, I can't force that kind of thing, partially because people have to lock their laptops in their desks at night.

Because of this, I still use SCCM for most things, but frequently updated software (Flash, Java, Adobe Reader, etc) is being pushed out through Group Policy.

Ha! Like people ever log off. I had one guy that was logged on so long his password had expired, and he could no longer print or even upload his profile on logoff. I basically deal with the cases where Flash doesn't install one by one. I just pushed flash last week, and out of 150 computers, 10 of them didn't install. One of them is just hosed (but she refuses to ask her adviser for a new one, so gently caress that poo poo) and the rest just need a reboot and for the package to be manually run. When somebody complains about not having Flash, I just go up their and manually run the advertisement, then go back to the dungeon to sit smugly in my Aeron chair.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mindphlux posted:

I feel really dumb posting this in this thread, but I also think I might get the most meaningful feedback from people probably a lot more experienced than myself.

I do IT work for a lot of small businesses, usually 5-20 users, usually running SBS 2003/2008. Most of the time, servers will be hosting just file shares, a database or two, web services, and exchange. Also most of the time, the servers will be in whatever office complex, with a really horribly "wired" "server" "closet" (I usually take over for someone much more inept than myself), with service either provided by a local ISP or the building's management, and so I manage the company's switch and router, modem etc.

anyways, in all my years (really only 5 or so) of doing this sort of thing, I've never had a client move offices. finally, that time has come, and I've been asked to support a company with a move.

the core, basic technical things involved with moving - updating DNS entries, changing firewall rules, spooling/reconfiguring e-mail filtering services, blah blah I think I'm pretty comfortable with - but I feel like I'm being naïve in thinking a 10 system office move will be as simple as backing up, unplugging, and labelling everything, hauling it across town, updating network configurations and letting 'er rip.

I guess what I'm looking for is SOP for larger, more professional organizations when they move house - or guidelines thereabouts. Despite being largely self taught and managing hopelessly small business setups, I like to be as professional and thorough as possible, when possible... how do you even learn how to properly do something like this without having done it under someone else's employ or fallen flat on your face already?

I'm going to be in the same boat, moving a group into another building on campus while their building undergoes renovation. Hopefully I can get the dark overlords to give me the same network in the new building, otherwise... I don't know.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, can anyone tell me how I can force laptops to VPN in before they can login to the domain? I'm so confused by the idea, because how does it connect to a wireless network without a user being logged in :psyduck:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
XP, but moving to Windows soon. The problem is that people keep getting laptops, and keep taking them places, and are too dumb to keep their roaming profiles in check (6GB!) and basically laptops are poo poo. So I'd like to force them to VPN in before they login, but I don't see how they can do that without activating a network connection.

The VPN is Cisco AnyConnect, which I have no control over, as it's the campus wide VPN. Cisco says it supports it, but the support article talks about modifying an XML file and it doesn't even say what file:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00809f0d75.shtml

E: I get it that the VPN starts up before you login, blah blah blah. But the mental hurdle I can't get over is how do you get a network connection if your network connection is based on some wireless program that's stored in your profile?

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 13, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

quackquackquack posted:

Haven't done it yet, but I don't see why I wouldn't slipstream it.

Apparently slipstreaming doesn't work that well with WIM images and is basically a crapshoot. Best bet is to find media with SP1 included. If you can find the MSDNAA/technet checksums you can :filez: the actual disk.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I basically gave up on PXE booting because 1) we run an ISC DHCP server, and I can't find good instructions anywhere to configure that to cross subnets and 2) half of the computers I control are on a network where I can't do anything but change the MAC in DHCP. I just carry around a boot CD like a scrub.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Telex posted:

You just can't bind a Pro machine to a domain is the only difference really right?

Pro and above can join a domain.
Here's a comparison chart from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lol internet. posted:

SCCM Task Sequence Questions Again!

Following things don't seem to work
I'm probably just doing something wrong. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

1. Installing IIS on Windows 7 x64 via Command line.
Using default options, should I be doing anything else?

code:
broken tables
2. Invoke a batch script
code:
%systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe /c "C:\TEMP\Oracle\InstallODP.NET4.bat"

Try running it yourself as the system account. You can do that with psexec, it has a -s option that will run whatever command as the system user, so if you run psexec -s cmd, you'll get a shell as the system user on your local machine.

E: Also, make those software packages instead of command lines run in a task sequence?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've come to the conclusion that installing Flash without a reboot sucks, so I'm going to force a reboot on all the machines Friday night, then later on install the updates, all with SCCM. A task sequence would probably be best, but I like being able to check the status of a specific advertisement, and if I use a task sequence the "advertisement" for an individual program will never run, so it won't show up in those reports.

I can't really find any other report I would run to see if a program has run successfully on a machine. I'll probably set the task sequence to continue on error, so I'd really like to be able to see if anything fails come Monday morning.

I could just advertise a reboot and then advertise the software, but I can't guarantee the reboot would happen before the software install (unless I made the reboot a package/program/advertisement, and then made all the packages depend on that advertisement first).

Any thoughts geniuses?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Helmet Jap posted:

My boss keeps on buying Dell machines with OEM licenses (we buy machines as we need). I cannot convince him to just go VL so that is a losing battle.

Our company: about 300 people with 5 different configurations (almost all windows 7 users)
Technology: We currently use Ghost 2.5

what we want: use minimum WDS as I hear wonderful things about it. possibly SCCM

is there any logical way of achieving an easy to maintain imaging/deployment in our case? I keep on reading that unless you have Volume License, you are kind of screwed. the only way to get around it is to purchase 1 VL (but only can be sysprepped twice or something like that)

I don't even use sysprep on ghost 2.5 :(

I don't entirely understand the licensing we have, but it requires that the machine already have a valid Windows license. Then we can install any Windows we want on the machine, and we can buy the cheapest Windows Dell will sell us, usually Vista Business or something like that.

With only five configurations, you're a prime candidate for SCCM. What are his objections to a new licensing scheme? Is it money? If so figure out how much time you're spending rebuilding a single machine, turn that into dollars (see if you can get your salary+benefits into the cost, not just salary) and compare that to the 3 minutes you'll spend imaging a machine with SCCM.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ifan posted:

Just to verify; Are you talking about flash player?
If so, you can:
A: Set the program to reboot the computer after its done running. No need for a task sequence.
B: Make a script that does the same thing, or better. Just remember to make sure that the script exits with the installers exitcode when it's done (so the reports will be accurate)

Installing/updating flash player without a reboot is not an issue, as long as you make sure that no dependent application is running during the install/update (Browsers come to mind). If a browser is running, windows installer will handle it by either killing the application, or waiting until the computer reboots. The latter will make the application live in a "limbo" where it's half-installed until next boot.

That has not been my experience. Even if I run the MSI myself by double clicking it, it bombs out with a weird error, it doesn't hold it in limbo, it just fails, until the program is run again. So rebooting after the install won't do anything, because by then the install has already failed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zero VGS posted:

Awesome advice guys, I appreciate it.

1) With Group Policy Preferences, I'm running them on a standalone Windows 7 workstation and if I do something simple like create a new OU, I won't see it on the server's ADUC or AD Group Policy Editor for like a half hour. It's really hard to test anything like that. Sites and services "Replicate Now" is supposed to fix that right? Or do I need something else because the Win7 PC isn't a domain controller?

2) I was looking into thin clients, but that does mean I'd need to buy like 100 terminal server licenses, correct?

3) Oh yeah, whoever set up this network five years ago didn't know what folder direction was. I'm trying to get it going retroactively but the server won't always scoop up the files from a user's Profile. Is there a trick to this, or should I just move it all manually when there's issues?

I actually do have the Hirem Mini XP thing on a USB drive, I'll check into that. I mean, I don't know if it's exactly kosher to roll it out for our company even if we have an XP volume license for everything. It might be considered :filez:, I dunno.

I inherited two departments, one department just in the other's domain. Once I pull the second department out into their own domain, I'm going to :pt: the original domain and start from scratch.

They poo poo they've done to that domain, I don't even know...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Reboot at night. Most vital Microsoft services can be split among multiple machines, so if one machine goes down, others pick up the slack.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mindphlux posted:

this is a crosspost, but I figure if anyone knows how to do this with the minimum of headaches, it'd be enterprise level sysadmins

I assume someone is just going to tell me to use USMT, right?

So as it stands, the profile is on the machine, and owned by domain\user, and you want to take the machine off the domain, and change the ownership to machine\user?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mindphlux posted:

yep. I just want the profile to go from

domain\user.name to
computer\user.name

with basically the profile remaining exactly the same in every other respect - at which point I could safely remove the computer from the domain. I've already un-redirected all redirected folders and all the potentially tricky bits - so 100% of the data for the user profile is on the machine.

I have domain admin rights as well as rights to the local administrator account on the computer, so the sky is the limit as far as what I can do.

If that thing in the other thread doesn't work, you should be able to just change all the file ownership from domain\user.name to computer\user.name, and have them log in.

e: I would test this first, because there might be stuff in the registry hive that links to the domain somehow.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mindphlux posted:

isn't this pretty much the same as making a complete copy of the domain\user.name directory to the computer\user.name profile location and changing the permissions? because if so, I did do that, to no avail - I mean some stuff worked but for whatever reason there was no mail profile, desktop background, etc etc. Pretty sure there must be some relatively heavy registry stuff that's unique to the SID

You got rid of ntuser.dat, which is the user registry hive, where all that good stuff is stored. If you keep that but change the perms it should work.

Like I say, should, because I've never tried anything like this, it just makes sense based on what I know about profiles.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm riding the SCCM Updates train all the way to... I don't even know this analogy sucks.

I'm also interested in SCUP, the stuff in this guide makes me really excited:
http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/the-complete-scup-2011-installation-and-configuration-guide/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Number19 posted:

It was actually even stupider than that. I was trying to deploy SP1 for Office 2010. It appears that if you don't download certain languages then the update fails to deploy because...uh...gently caress if I know.

Yay Microsoft :downs:

Yeah, I just hit that poo poo. It's because Office 2010 installs a bunch of secret language proofing packs, so you basically need to put that in a seperate package and tell that package to download all the languages.

Here's a forum post about it on technet:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrsum/thread/a1b8dc7d-f99c-429c-81e3-ebb242397a94/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

adocious posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation of how to accomplish unified print quotas in an environment with CUPS and a Windows print server, preferably one that doesn't involve purchasing commercial software? I'm having a difficult time finding anything on Google that doesn't suggest buying a solution. We're currently using PyKota to manage print quotas with CUPS and are using the free version of PaperCut to log print requests, but we don't have a way to enforce the quotas on the Windows side.

We gave up on PyKota and switched to PaperCut. Apparently the only problem is that there's no authentication with CUPS, so you can pass any username in an LPR command and use someone's print quota that way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bedevere posted:

I use the EXE and then command line it:

code:
 /s /v/"qr ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 WEBSTARTICON=0 /L C:\temp\javasetup.log"
the /v passes the msi commands in quotes. You get a nice pretty log file to boot.

No, that won't work because the installer sucks and extracts the installer to a hard coded (32 bit) path, then reads the path from a system variable to read it, and gets a 64 bit path.

The fix was to modify the registry so the key it read was the same as what was hard coded, though now I've figured out how to directly pull the MSI from the installer.

And all those options don't work anymore, theytook most of them out of the installer (though there won't be errors if you use them).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So here's an SCCM problem I can't run away from.

I've had this same problem on a Precision T1500, and a Precision T5500. I try and deploy Win 7 x64 to the machine. The WinPE disk sees the network driver, and downloads the image and drivers. Then when it reboots, it fails because it no longer has a network interface. However, after this failure when I reboot the computer it boots into Windows 7 just fine, with networking working.

Any ideas what I'm supposed to be doing here?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

quackquackquack posted:

Is it the 64bit boot disk with the 64bit network driver added?

and when you said "Then when it reboots, it fails", can you be more specific? Can you post the relevant part of the smsts.log?

Alright, actually I think one of those reboots isn't a reboot.

My task sequence looks like this:
Restart in Windows PE
Partition Disk 0
Apply Operating System (from original installation source)
Apply Windows Settings (sets local admin password and licensing is blank because we run KMS)
Apply Drivers (I do a WMI query on hardware type so it only applies the drivers it needs
Apply Network Settings (join the domain)
Setup windows and ConfigMgr.

According to System Status on my server, it completes Apply Network Settings, but it doesn't actually join the domain. From this point on it loses the network adapter, I think during the Setup windows and ConfigMgr, as part of the Win 7 OOBE stuff.

I'm rerunning it now without any drivers being applied, and it looks to be working. It just rebooted as part of the Setup windows... step.

So I guess I have no loving clue what's going on. Right now this is with a T5500, but I had the same problem with the T1500 and I thought I removed the drive package to no avail. I'd like to gently caress around with it more but this is my student worker's workstation, so I can't keep nuking it endlessly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

quackquackquack posted:

I think Yaos has the right idea. Sounds like an issue with the driver applied in the driver package.

What does the log in Panther say about joining the domain? What does smsts.log say? The logs on the server are only so useful when it comes to OSD.

Here's what (I think) is relevant from smsts.log:
http://pastebin.com/RxGuuY97

I didn't pull anything out of Panther, though that's a good idea. I assume you mean setupact.log?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I want to query all my machines to figure out which ones are statically assigned and not on DHCP. There's a property Network Configuration > DHCP Enabled, which is great.

So I wrote a query that returns the System Name and value of the DHCP enabled, with no criteria (with the expectation of setting criteria to DHCP Enabled = 0). With no criteria, every computer shows up in the list twice, once with a value of 0, once with a value of 1, EXCEPT (as far as I can tell) clients that truly do not have DHCP enabled, they only show up once as DHCP Enabled = 0.

Is there any way to make this report a bit more sane?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

quackquackquack posted:

What exactly are you pulling? I assume we are talking SCCM?

Pull some other data, like the name of the connection, or the name of the adapter, subnet, or whatever. Remember that anything that is a network connection will show up in this list. I seem to remember having issues because I was getting results from 6to4 adapters etc. And be sure whether it is pulling the DHCP setting for IPv4 or IPv6.

In my case, I only included results that had the proper subnet mask (255.255.0.0 in my case), and were part of our class A (xx.%.%.%).

I find it's always better to include too much data to be sure you are getting what you want, and then pare it down. Gets around mistakes when a query is not returning what you think it should be returning.

Yeah, SCCM.

Well, if I could query on null values I could easily do IP Address is NOT null, and DHCP server is Null. This is pretty silly. I've manually gone through various outputs of my various queries and found the machines I'm looking for, but now I just want to figure out if this is even possible.

E: I'm a big babby and using the query builder instead of manually typing in the SQLish query, if I did it manually can I make the query above?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As little traffic as this thread gets, we could just rename it and let it be about both (and throw in some Linux if anybody cares).

Especially since most management of that level just comes down to getting those things play nice with AD.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

quackquackquack posted:

That's a really good point. This thread is relatively low traffic, and a Mac one would be even more so, perhaps by joining forces we can catch a few more eyes.

My first question is about NetBoot images. On the Windows side, I would PXE into WinPE, which would write an image to the disk, etc etc. For Mac, it seems that I create a NetBoot image by installing Lion (any downsides to installing it to a VM for this?), customizing it, then making an image of it.

This seems like overkill to have a full OS X install being run over the network without local swap. How much bandwidth does it take? Does it also seem like a security concern? Can I delete things like iTunes? Am I overreacting, and I shouldn't try and pare down the NetBoot image?

Unless you're VM server is an Apple machine, you can't legally run OSX in a VM. Time to pony up for a Mac Mini running OSX Lion.

And I'll just say this here, Apple doesn't care about the Enterprise. They took a ton of stuff out of Lion to make Macs even harder to manage. They discontinued their rack mounted server. And none of that matters, because in this day in age, the easiest way to tell that a company doesn't care about the enterprise? They won't let you virtualize their product. We've solved the hardware problem. We no longer care how powerful a single machine is, how reliable it is, how the drives are arranged, etc etc. Virtualize it properly, and stop worrying about it. Apple doesn't get that. They want you to buy mac minis. Or just not manage them I guess?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

spidoman posted:

Is there a way to put a computer in a collection as part of a task sequence in SCCM?

This might shed some light on it:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrsdk/thread/7ec9af4d-d84f-41ef-8fe0-ecb2d158b80a

In that case especially, they could do what they wanted to do with a query instead of a direct membership, so I'm wondering what you're doing that can't be accomplished with a query.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Misogynist posted:

We avoid this problem by not running NTFS file servers. There's too many good storage platforms out there to waste time trying to roll our own and have them subject to these sorts of problems.

So you run a NAS with a better FS underneath?

Our Windows admin is leary of running files off anything but a Windows server, but he's also an old greybeard and formed a lot of his views back in the NT days, so I don't really know what to believe anymore.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Rhymenoserous posted:

A NAS generally has it's own predefined filesystem that it shares out via some protocol or another. If you are thinking "NAS but with NTFS filesystems" what you are likely thinking is SAN actually which presents blocks of storage to a device which then generally gets that devices file system slapped on it. I'm oversimplifying by a fair bit, but that's it in a nutshell.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. We're currently in the midst of trying to consolidate storage into some kind of SAN and we were planning on just sharing iSCSI to all the machines because we have an irrational hatred of NAS stuff.

v:shobon:v Welp, my job is weird.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Whoops, that's not what I mean. I mean all our storage would be provisioned to servers that would then share that space out to clients, either via NFS or SMB, rather than using the device as a NAS.

I actually know a fair amount about this stuff, I just seem to be coming off like an idiot in this thread for some reason.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, don't redirect AppData.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Thank God for Google Apps.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

spidoman posted:

Been watching SCCM 2012 videos all afternoon.

I need it so bad.

What should I be most excited about?

Maybe I can convince the lead Windows guy to install 2012 fresh when I rebuild the domain rather than trying to preserver our existing setup while I delete the domain and recreate it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

spidoman posted:

Most importantly: it's not beefed up SMS 2003, it's a newly built system (Not just layered on top of Management Console.) Also, built in Endpoint Protection management, improved Software Update process, improved DCM. Client agent settings can now be set per collection.

It's also able to do user based deployments, which I'm not that excited about, App-V works far better for that IMO.

Lots more, but those are the main things I'm excited about. It's also a ton more user friendly, which is a completely foreign concept for SCCM.

Ugh, the number of times I've deleted a folder in Software Packages instead of deleting a package...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

spidoman posted:

Anyone else's offices not using "Run Advertised Programs" and instead opt for Third-Party (I believe Dell) Right click tools to re-run advertisements from SCCM?

Am I alone in thinking that it's absolutely stupid to completely ignore the "Run Advertised Programs" applet that SCCM is basically based around?

The explanation is "Well we don't want users to be able to rerun advertisements." Then why not just hide the option from them in the control panel?

If you hide it from users I'm not sure how admins would be able to use it. To be honest it makes mostly perfect sense, though it's way easier to have mandatory assignments for basic frequently failed programs be available for users to run. If users couldn't run Plugin flash or Firefox by themselves I'd be pretty pissed.

And right click tools aren't made by Dell, they're just a bunch of random guys online that made them, but they're loving sweet.