Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trying to find the right thread for this:

In powershell or CMD, is there a command to get more info from a network printer if "nslookup <ipaddress>" doesn't return what I need?

When the user goes to Devices & Printers, they see a friendly name for the network printer. I need to be able to find that same friendly name given an IP address. I'm stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

You need to do a Get-Printer and then take the PortName variable from the printer and send it into Get-PrinterPort, PrinterHostAddress has the IP or DNS name of the printer.

Edit: Oh, you want to work backwards and see what printers are using a port. I think you'd have to do

code:
Get-PrinterPort | Where-Object {$_.PrinterHostAddress -eq '1.2.3.4'}
To get you the port name, and then put this into

code:
Get-Printer | Where-Object {$_.PortName -eq 'portname'}

No dice. I don't receive any output from either of those commands.

nielsm, this is unfortunately a user on the network that I'm trying to assist.

What if I know the name of the network printer? Can I work back and get the ip address?

*I realize these are broad questions lacking details. This is a people/process problem but now I'm stubborn and want to figure it out. I think our IT team has a print/server and queue set up. When I do Get-Printer on my own device, on the VPN, I receive a printer name of: \\somepath\Printer_01_X . Printer_01_X is the name I'd like to find on the network if I have the IP address. The next best solution is if a user tells me their network printer name is Printer_01_X, I'd like to find the IP address of it in CMD or Powershell.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 23, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

You'd have to run those commands on the print server

D'oh. I don't have access to that (that I'm aware of). I'm out of my scope and depth on this, will leave well enough alone. I was hoping I'd get lucky that if I knew the NetworkPrinterName I could get the IP, or vice versa.

Thanks for the help!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Internet Explorer posted:

If the printers are registered in AD and the port names include the IP addresses, you might be able to eek something out.

code:
Get-ADObject -LDAPFilter "(&(uncName=*)(objectCategory=printQueue))" -properties Name, portName

Get-ADOject is not recognized, I'm guessing because I don't have elevated privileges.

Last hail mary... If I do nslookup <ipaddress> I receive server name/ip and the printer name/ip. The problem being the printer name is in a format like printer-115.domain.com . Anything useful I can take from that to walk to a friendlier printer name? Even if the name was \\serverpath\\printer_01_x.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I don't have local admin rights, they have it locked down (understandably).

To wrap this up: since I can't leave well enough alone, I started poking about a bit more. When I ran Get-Printer on my local computer on the VPN, I saw that it had a printer mapped to a network path with a $PrintServerName. I then ran Get-Printer --ComputerName "$PrinterServerName and that gave a list of printers with their "friendly" name and ports.

I then did a little more sleuthing to find the other relevant print server names. A few more checks and I found my target IP and printer.

At this point I'll read up on a little more PS, put together a simple script that will poll all of the print servers for their list of printers and then check to see if a given IP is in one of them and what the associated printer name is.

The bigger picture is that this is a people/process problem that is outside of my responsibilites but it was a fun puzzle to solve.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I need some Sharepoint 101 advice (let me know if there is a better place to ask):

A team is creating test questions. We need a nice global view of all currently created questions, who created it, etc... Currently, there are 5 hands in an Excel 365 spreadsheet adding/removing/changing stuff and it's an absolute mess trying to track things. I don't know Sharepoint but it seems like it could be a better alternative to Excel (Forms won't work for reasons).

I'm thinking I create a Sharepoint List. Each Item would be a test question. I just did quick testing and it appears that one can easily track who modified an attribute in a given Item. I'm guessing it's easy to convert that List to a Spreadsheet, or automate with Power Automate, or dump into Power BI etc...

Should I try to convince the team to move to Sharepoint, or would Sharepoint be a mess too in this scenario?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klosterdev posted:

If you need answers to questions written to something readable by Excel, you could use Microsoft Forms (which creates an exportable .csv for the answers) or if you specifically want your answers written to a SharePoint list, you can use PowerAutomate to automatically write the answers to a SharePoint list once the Form is submitted.

Thanks. My explanation is all over the place but mainly I'm trying to get my arms around organizing all of this. The Sharepoint List would be a staging area because ultimately the test questions will be loaded into a piece of testing software where it would be administered. I'm trying to get us out of our current Excel hell, with the main problem being a horrible spreadsheet being difficult to track changes. I just don't have enough Sharepoint experience to know if a Sharepoint List will be any better. I'll take a harder look at Forms.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

tehinternet posted:

How many people will be working within the list? If it’s only a few and sporadically, a SharePoint list is fine (you can take the forms route as well if that’s more your speed, Power Automate probably already has a template you can copy from).

If it’s a lot and often, you can run into issues with people saving over each other/losing what they were working on when a change was made. It’s not ideal for heavy workflows for a few other reasons too.

Thanks for the info. It's about 5 other people. I don't think I can convince them to make the switch to Sharepoint, as they are happily mucking about in Excel and deleting each others' work.

So, I'm just going to throw it in cruise control and go with the flow. :smith:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm a data guy trying to learn AD DS from zero, for a new gig. For practice, I've used virtualbox to spin up a DC and a Win10 workstation. I then set up DNS and NAT and have the basics working together.

Rookie question on a practical scenario I want to try:
  • I have a new group of employees coming in. I have a list of their names.
  • I'd like to automate the creation of a user account for each employee
  • I'd like to create a fileshare for the new employees, and inside the fileshare I'd like to create a folder for each employee
  • Make it so each employee can only see their own folder
  • Automate all this with a powershell script
  • BONUS: what controls a network fileshare being automatically mapped when a user logs into a workstation? From what I've seen they have to manually type the network path to find their folder.

This seems relatively doable for beginner, given my current virtual environment, right? Any other practical, or realistic, steps I should add to the exercise to improve my learning?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you have options, you might want to reconsider this gig. All of these workflows are things a reasonable enterprise has abstracted off AD.

To answer the question directly, yes you can do it. GPO or a logon script for the bonus. None of that should be happening except the user account creation automated off your IDP though.

Thanks for the insight. At the moment, other options involve a smaller paycheck. So for now... AD #1! AD #1!

At a high level, what would you say the modern Microsoft alternative is? Entra ID for the users and something to do with OneDrive for the personal folders?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Pretty much. If you're building a new environment Entra (or a non-Microsoft IDP that easily wires into Entra) is the cleanest path for user account management in an M365 environment that gives you all of the other user services including file shares. Assuming no legacy app integration this all wires into on-prem AD pretty easily, but chances are the reason this org is asking these questions is legacy app integration.

Hmm. I have a M365 Developer sandbox. Might see if I can figure out how to sync it with my homelab AD DC, as another exercise. Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm working my way through a toy project with Entra ID and M365, and am stumbling on groups. Hopefully one of you ID/AD wizards can help.

In a business environment, when should I be using Microsoft 365 groups versus Security Groups? Or do I use them both together? My short term goal for this toy project is to create fictional families in a town. Each family will have their own sharepoint site and Teams channel. Permissions should prevent a member of Family A looking at the chat or files of Family B.

I'm using the free M365 sandbox for all this.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

Security groups are for if you only need to logically organize security concerns.

Like, Group A needs to have a contributor role Azure.

M365 Groups automatically create additional resources/enable features in M365.

M365 Groups have different features depending on how they are created:

Ok that makes sense. Looks like I'll roll with M365 groups for now. Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Azure and Entra ID question:

I have two environments in my toy project. Environment-A is my personal Azure account. Environment-B is my free M365 sandbox with a user called Homer Simpson.

I'd like to grant Homer Simpson access to the Springfield Power Plant VM in my personal Azure account. Maybe grant him access to my Springfield Power Plant azure file share.

Is this where I'd look at Entra ID B2B? Or would this scenario be handled through some sort of Azure guest user? The end goal is to learn a solution that a business might realistically use (to pad my resume).

If someone could point me in the right direction to start researching.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd start with cross-tenant synchronisation, which is a less high-touch feature building on top of B2B collaboration

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/multi-tenant-organizations/cross-tenant-synchronization-overview

Whether this works will come down more to whether guest users can access the features you need them to access than the exact method you are using to manage these external users.

I'll give this a go, thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gucci Loafers posted:

You shouldn't need cross-tenant sync. to go that far. If it was just a single user all they need to do is accept the B2B invitation. Once that's done then they should appear your tenant as a B2B User then you should be able to assign them the appropriate RBAC rights.

I got it working!

Does anyone work with Intune and Autopilot? That is a domain I have zero experience in but I'd like to learn a little. I don't have any extra hardware but I can do VMs on virtualbox.

Can someone suggest a practical scenario that would leverage Intune and Autopilot to onboard my new employee Homer Simpson? How would a competent business leverage that tech for a new employee?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A company has an agreement with an OEM to register devices to Autopilot in intune, then purchases a device with that SKU for a remote user. OEM ships to the remote user (at this point you can pretend with your manually registered VM), user goes through OOBE and ends up on the desktop on a managed device. If the user is only using an AAD logon, that’s kind of it.

Some additional things to play with;
-Apps and profiles with the enrollment status page if they have to be there before the user logs on
-Hybrid domain join and always on VPN for the first time logon
-Using Graph API to register existing managed devices

Hmmm. That doesn't sound as thrilling as the product names entail. :mad:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to walk thru a bit and see what I can figure out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This is an overly broad question but do you all feel there is money to be made specializing in Intune + Autopilot, or are you looking for the door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

incoherent posted:

No, there isn't any money there. Autopilot is just one (but big) step in your onboarding and offboarding lifecycle. You've still got to manage application lifecycles, identity, and informational governance. Autopilot just took the bullshit of golden images for physical device off your plate. (This very much goes for macs now. you don't have to be afraid of them no mo')

Your company probably has like 7 SaSS not talking to each other or poorly. Pivoting to owning your idP with your devices and conditionally access devices are where you'll be going in the next decade.

Cyks posted:

Autopilot is just a very small piece of intune and intune is just a small piece of M365. There’s definitely jobs out there in large enough organizations that just handles intune but I still recommend doing the greater picture of M365.

Great money and very WFH friendly technology.

Thanks for the insights. I'm diving deep into Entra ID in my free time, and trying to find another piece of the Microsoft stack to pair it with. My current gig is security-adjacent, so maybe Microsoft Defender and/or Sentinel?

The end goal being interesting work and lots of money.