Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

Most of the discussion here is about SCCM and other sexy utilities that my school district can't afford :(

When I first started here, we were using Altiris DS6.9SP4. It's been okay for the most part, but failing rapidly now and we're experiencing a ton of issues. Our licensing was current so I built a new server to play around with DS7.1 on. I haven't put it in production yet, as I want to iron everything out and get to know it pretty well.

From what I can understand, they've stripped remote control of the active session from DS7.0 and up, is this correct? I had heard that they included a pcAnywhere subscription with DS7.0 and up to supplement this, but Symantec told me it's only available to people who purchase the Altiris CMS suite.

Now we're faced with the decision of to renew Altiris DS, upgrade to Altiris CMS, or move to another product. Does anyone have any recommendation of alternative products to Altiris DS6.9? Ideally it would have the same features as DS6.9 but work with Windows 7 as I want to migrate to it within the next year.

As for budget, lets say about 5,000$ (roughly) for 700~ clients max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

We might actually, I had no idea it was that cheap.

Imaging is the least important, we have a pretty basic Ghost/Pxe/WinPE setup that works well for our XP clients, but I do like SCCM for its Windows 7 capabilities.

The big thing we used from DS6.9 was instant control of the users active session. I liked being able to hop in, see what they're seeing, and fix it under their logon.

Inventory was really good too. I also want to setup wake on lan and other power management features so we can shutdown the labs and such from our office. Once I get the hang of it, software deployment will be be as well.

We're a Windows only shop, running about 600 XP clients and 10~ windows 7.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Yup, Server 2003 R2 at the moment but the schema has been upgraded to Server 2008 R2. I'm just waiting till I have time to demote the Server 2003 R2 domain controllers that I have left.

Good on scripting, I can do it that way but it was nice to have that feature. Also can you script wake on lan?

Do you have any recommendations on what to use for my remote assistance needs?

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

Teamviewer seems to be popular. We're in the process of rolling out Bomgar. Windows has 'Remote Assistance' built in. I'm sure others could answer better than I (and in one of the 'ticket came in' or 'poo poo that pisses you off' there was very recently a discussion about it).

There's plenty of WoL tools, but I can't say I have dug into them much. If you find something good, please post back. I do know that SCCM has WoL features built in (although I don't use them at the moment).

Don't get me wrong, I love SCCM, but it has a relatively steep learning curve, and if you don't need a lot of what it offers, other solutions may work better.
I remember doing a demo of Bomgar for its remote support service, like logmein rescue. Actually, I should look into logmein.. Either way, let me know how you like Bomgar. How much are you paying per client?

Nomex posted:

SCCM has remote control capabilities and inventory as well. A lot of people in this thread seem to use SCCM for deployment and package management, but I'd be interested to know how many people are using the software metering/remote control/inventory control features.

Can you elaborate on its remote control capabilities? If my organization went with SCCM (which is becoming increasingly likely) I would definitely learn it and use every inch of its capabilities. I really want something that will let me easily see the users active session (sorry for harping on this) because i have many users who couldn't be talked through starting remote assistance.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Thats awesome. I'm definitely sold on SCCM, now I just have to wait for the quotes to roll in.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Kullrock posted:

Here's a snippet of what I use:

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\hp\InstrumentedBIOS")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _
"select * from HP_BIOSString",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems
if objItem.Name="SKU Number" then
strProductNumber = objItem.Value
End If
next
Holy crap, thank you - when I get SCCM up and running I am going to use this.

lolinternet - does HP have a mass serial/model/product # upload to check serials or are you doing it all manually?

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks so much guys. I just setup an evaluation of SCCM07R2 on Tuesday and want to try it out tomorrow, I'll report back with how it works for me.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Hey Windows Sysadmins, any of you familiar with APC Smart-UPS units? I have 5 of them in my rack that up until now were unmanaged. I want to manage them all from my network monitoring server, but the stupid Powerchute Agent will only manage one of the 5 that I have connected. Is there any way to manage them all through one server? If not, I'll just put an agent on each server but I'm trying to avoid that.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Nomex posted:

You need to get Powerchute business edition to manage multiple UPSes.

Thats what I have, but the Business edition agent will only manage one UPS per server, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Can you link me those? I'm going from 6.8, and only using the deployment component at that. :)

Same here, only using 6.9 SP4 here and have little experience on this as it is.