Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Potato Salad posted:

Skype for Business is out. This "intuitive design" that is "familiar to existing Skype users" is a glorified reskin of Lync done as bad as possible. Tabs don't clearly separate themselves. Elements of the UI flash huge color changes at you on brief hover-over (not subtle -- like hovering over elements in Office 2013), and absolutely none of the windowing, icons, grouping, lists, etc etc from Skype are carried over.

Mind, I have no stake in it. It's just a illustriously-awful result for something lauded to merge the look and feel of Skype and Lync.

So pretty much what everyone thought was going to happen. No surprise here! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So I have a WDS server and Sophos Router on two different subnets. WDS handles imaging, and the Sophos router does DHCP. I've had option 66 & 67 configured on the Sophos router because it's on a different subnet than the WDS server, and it's worked fine for ~a year.

All of the sudden in the last two weeks, clients won't be able to see the WDS server in PXE boot until I restart the DHCP services on the WDS server. I've been googling like crazy, but every article I find seems to be people that haven't heard about/configured options 66 and 67 on their switches/routers. It doesen't make any sense to me that rebooting the DHCP services on the WDS server would enable clients to see it again through PXE boot for a bit. I can't find anything in event viewer either.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So, what's the trick to getting 20H2 to show up in wsus? I'd like to start testing it in my environment since I'll be needing to move on from 1809 by spring next year.

E: I figured this out. Apparently you have to change the view on wsus to "1903 and above" to get it to show. I had just "Windows 10" checked off which...should have be fine? Whatever.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 23, 2020

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bob Morales posted:

What are some options for pushing HEVC/HEIF or whatever compatibility out? (Apple image format)

Apparently downloading the HEIF codec from the Windows store doesn't help, and HEVC is 99 cents.

Also looking for an answer on this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What version of AAD connect are you running? IIRC 2.0 is a pretty big rewrite, maybe that'll help?

We "only" have about 300 active users and 800-1000 disabled users in our environment, so I can't really help with any speed comparisons.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Moey posted:

Speaking of legal hold, I was just reviewing some crap I have squirreled away. Holds from 2020 and 2021.

Sure would be cool if we had some sort of line of communication for when we can nuke these.

When working on an on prem> exchange online migration last year, I ran a report of all the mailboxes we had on legal hold and sent them to our in house counsel. Asked them to review the users and tell us if we could take any of these people off legal hold - some of these mailboxes have been on hold for like 7-8 years at this point.

They quickly replied back and said to keep everything on the list intact.

So when my boss asked why these people needed more expensive licensing...I just forwarded her the email I got from the lawyers. It's their problem now!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

tehinternet posted:

Doubt they read the list, in their position I’d consider what getting one name wrong would cost and I’d probably say “Yeah, keep the whole list intact.” Whatever is saved on the licenses wouldn’t be worth the potential downside.

This is totally possible, considering I got the reply back in less then 5 minutes iirc.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I highly recommend that if you have the budget for it, to go with something like Printerlogic to take care of printing administration. Seriously, it's worth it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Silly Newbie posted:

What kind of bloatware are you all seeing from Dell? Ours come with Command Update, which isn't bad, and Office, that's it.
We also have a CTG agreement so that might put us in a different sales and delivery department. I give them under $500k/yr, but my sales team and support is pretty great.

Cyks posted:

Dell Optimizer, which is well documented for causing issues with m365 products staying connected/syncing. It’s more malware than bloatware.

I also replace the preinstalled Microsoft 365 with Microsoft 365 apps for business/enterprise.

Thanks Ants posted:

:same:, Dell Optimiser is poo poo, all it does it break networking and audio by trying to be helpful. The latest batch of business machines we've had in also had Dell Digital Delivery popping up to remind people to check if they had software purchases with the machine, and 30 day trials of McAfee.

The OEMs really do try their hardest to ruin the Windows experience more than Microsoft are capable of.

Oh yeah, Dell Optimizer is well documented around the internet to break many, many things. I created an automation in our RMM to uninstall when it detects it on one of our managed machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Silly Newbie posted:

Oh yeah, our poo poo quit coming with Optimizer thank God. Took me like a loving week the first time to figure out why my tester laptop kept locking after 5 seconds (when I was out of frame for the webcam).

Lmaoooo this was actually a ticket at my place last year, I remember seeing it pop up in the helpdesk queue. Luckily I'm not on helpdesk so I got to see all the techs take a stab at it one by one until someone finally figured out it was Dell Optimizer :allears: