Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

gbeck posted:

We use WSUS to push out updates. We are still 100% a Windows XP shop and WSUS pushes out Windows Media Player 11. Today the CFO posted a Windows Media video on his blog for the employees. It turns out Windows Media Player 11 wants to validate before it run. It also likes to fail when all the users who are non-admin (all of them) try to click through. I really don't want to have to log into 600 computers, run WMP as admin, and click next, next, next.

Please tell me there is some policy/command line/permissions I can setup to get me out of the punishment known as Windows Genuine Advantage.

In Group Policy you can disable first run startup for Windows Media Player.

Computer Policies/admin templates/Windows Components/Windows Media Player/Do Not Show First Use Dialog Boxes

e: I don't know if that is the same as the validating process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TheRife posted:

bombgar

We have it at a university level so I can use it for free. It really is slick for dealing with issues at our branches that would be ~10min walk in North Dakota winter. It also lets you help users who are not part of your active directory environment(off campus students).

lol internet. posted:

I looked into this. Apparently in Win7 you need to have the users added into the Remote Assitance Group

Herp. So that is the issue. :saddowns:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Our OU breakdown is by physical department. If a GPO needs to target across multiple departments I set up in the structure as high as I can to get all objects that are needed and use the security filtering for the GPO(basically change it from authenticated users to something more specific, possibly targeting an oddly specific security group like "Do not turn off display":v:).

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Oh boy, we're taking email and office ~to the cloud~ and going office365 across the enterprise.

What are some major tips/tricks/suggestions we should consider in our implementation? I won't be doing the back-end work, more on the client configuration side but any tips are welcome.

You will never get delayed email issues resolved. Getting out of PST hell with 25GB inboxes is worth it though.