Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
I have a quick question for you windows guys. I'm a unix admin so I apologize if this is a simple question.

We currently have a server 2003 machine (our only windows server, no AD, roaming profiles + domain controller is a freebsd machine running samba) and we are going to be replacing it with a server 2008 machine. It is used exclusively for terminal service logins. However, we're having an annoying issue that it takes far longer to log in to a domain user on the 2k8 machine than the 2k3 machine. Logging into a blank profile on 2k3 is practically instant, but on 2k8 it sits at "Waiting for the User Profile Service" for 15-30 seconds before anything happens. Google indicates that it's an issue with being multihomed (this machine only has one nic) or with dns (our dns is fine). The event viewer shows nothing interesting other than it whining about desktop compositing being unavailable. The samba logs show nothing interesting during a user login/logout even when set for very high verbosity.

Is this behavior normal?

If it matters, 2k8 is running in a virtualbox vm and 2k3 is an old pentium 4 machine. The vm performs great otherwise and it can pull gigabit speeds over the network, so I don't think it's vm-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

marketingman posted:

To quote someone in the Rant thread:

"Sir, it seems that you already know the answer to your problem. I suggest you try to fix your issue in the manner that you have described. Thank you and have a nice day."

Are you SURE it's not the VM? What happens with 2k8 on the P4 shitbox? Slow or snappy?

I've not seen this behaviour in any of my 2k8 terminal servers, VMWare VMs.

The p4 is not 64 bit so I can't test 2k8 on it directly. The vm performs fantastic otherwise but of course I can't be SURE it's not the vm at this point. Disk performance inside the vm is hard to gauge, though, because much of the vm ends up getting cached in the zfs cache. I guess I need to find a spare non-lovely machine to test 2k8 on.

I kind of suspect it may be an issue with samba, but I wanted to check in here to make sure it wasn't a known 2k8 issue or something.

Nomex: the only warnings in the event log are "token-based activation failed," which the kb article says we can ignore.

I'll dick around with the vm config in the meantime and see what happens.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
That looks promising but no dice so far. I changed that key and also some settings in the local security policy to use NTLM instead of NTLMv2 authentication, but no change yet. I bet this is the problem, though. It's probably going require some changes on samba's end too. Thanks for getting me going in (what I believe is) the right direction.

Edit: but we do have win7 clients and they don't seem to have this issue, so who knows...

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 25, 2011