Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djben
Aug 22, 2010

univbee posted:

We setup a Kaseya server as we're a managed IT provider. It's been a dream for most tasks, especially things like AV and Microsoft patch management. I'm having a bit of a pain in the rear end time with non-MS software, though, specifically pushing out updates for things like Adobe Flash. Our end users almost invariably have no admin privileges, which is nice, but lately we've hit the snag of Adobe Flash requiring 10.1 to work on most websites. Cue us getting regular calls from users bitching about not having admin rights.

Now by pairing Kaseya with Ninite Pro and some scripting, I managed to make a script that deploys the 200k Ninite installer and auto-installs/updates everything silently. The problem is that lately it's been too silent; I think it's failing deployments (I can only tell whether the Ninite EXE actually got to the computer and executed; beyond that I have no record) and it also means I still have to babysit the drat thing (running it each time Adobe releases a new Flash).

What I'd ideally like to do is give users only enough privileges so they can upgrade Flash if they need to, like if they have the right registry key/file permissions kind of thing. Failing that, a working method for deploying via Kaseya. Group Policy will be a colossal pain both because there are 20 servers to do this on, and because some companies have computers that essentially never check in (because the servers are in Vancouver and they're in Halifax, for example, and no there's no budget for VPN routers but thanks for asking).

Long time SA lurker, first time I decided to create an account.

You can publish any agent procedures to your Kaseya user portal. These can be available on custom tabs and your users can just click 'Run Now' and the procedure will execute by the agent, which is running as the system account. I think this will get you exactly what you want, and you can even have special groups setup to publish different sets of procedures (software deployment, maintenance, etc) for different groups of machines. Just look at System -> Live Connect and System -> Machine Roles to check out how you configure this stuff.

Ninite rocks. I need to write some procedures that leverage it, the work those guys have done is impressive. You could write some Kaseya procedures to verify the registry keys / files that would be associated with the software a ninite EXE is supposed to install, and then at least run a Script Log report to see which systems didn't seem to get the software they were supposed to.

I won't hijack the thread too badly especially since I do work for Kaseya, but you can check out our new community site and look in the scripts section to see my posted procedures for silently updating Java, Flash and Adobe.

Hope that helps :)

Ben

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djben
Aug 22, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

So what the gently caress Java. I'm trying to install 32 bit Java on a 64 bit Win 7 machine, because of course we still have 32 bit browsers. It looks like Java is making GBS threads itself because the MSI basically drops a zip file into the JRE directory, and then extracts it. But it just sits spinning its wheels forever, because I think it's looking in C:\Program Files, and not C:\Program Files (x86) for its Zip file.

gently caress man, I don't even know.

Jesus, I've slipped so far into the rabbit whole. Apparently there's a packing committee on campus, just for packaging software?

32 bit java on 64-bit Windows is definitely a pain. There is an issue with the Java installer running in the 64-bit command shell. I spent a good bit of time searching around for an easy solution (I actually got it working by extracting the msi manually but that sucks). Many hours spent in regmon and filemon... not very fun.

I have resolved the problem by modifying a registry key used by the SYSTEM account that initiates the silent Java install.

I took a screenshot of my own Kaseya script/procedure for deploying Java where you'll see the registry key I had to set for the installer and how I leverage it:

http://files.kaseya.com/sftp/javaupdate.png

The key you need to change:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-18\ProfileImagePath

Typically, it has a value of "%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile", data type reg_sz.

For the 32-bit Java installer to work silently when run as a SYSTEM account on a 64-bit machine, it can be set to "%systemroot%\syswow64\config\systemprofile". I'd recommend changing it back to the original value once the install completes.

Hopefully Sun fixes their installer soon, before they run out of money sueing Google ;)

djben fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 24, 2010