Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

demonachizer posted:

Is SCCM an addon for the Domain Controller? The place I work at is a bit strange in that we have full control over a section of our AD but we can't make higher level changes. We can put management tools on our servers no problem so I just want to confirm that it is possible.

It may need to do a schema modification depending on what has been used before. The SCCM installer has a quick prerequisite checker that will tell you if that needs to be done. If the schema is ok, you can manage software deployment just by having administrative control over the clients, updating with a group policy and image deployment by having admin control over the DHCP server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

demonachizer posted:

Are there lots of things that have to be done on the DHCP server to get the deployment end up and running? We have a decent relationship with the network group so if it is a one time configuration issue we might be ok but if it is something that has to be done with each new client probably not. Currently we can request static IP addresses and poo poo from them based on MACs so if that is all that is needed we are ok.

It's just a 1 minute change to one of the DHCP options of your scope to enable F12 booting.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

spog posted:

I'd like to hear people's experience of USMT, specifically Loadstate.

Does it really work well out of the box, grabbing all the data that our beloved users like to hide? Does it get all the required settings/customisations of apps too?

And the hardlink store - that scares me a little, the idea that you dump all the user's data onto the same harddisk that you are about to format and trust that it survives the format just seems a little too trusting.

USMT worked fine for us, the problem is more that it tends to grab too much poo poo and copies files over into the c:\windows directory that I'd rather keep clean.

So I used the uncompressed option /nocompress for USMT. This creates an editable data structure on the server that you can then clean up by deleting everything outside of the documents and settings folder. The precedence for exclusions/inclusions seemed to be too confusing to do this in the configuration xml.

Hardlinking also seemed a bit risky to me, I uploaded it to our file server. If someone had enough data to make hardlinking useful it always was an iTunes library which we told people to put on a private external hard disk because we don't support it.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

devmd01 posted:

User migration? What's that? Dump the user profile elsewhere, reimage, have them log in, dump files back. We gives no fucks about your profile customizations. :D

That's ok for people's background image and poo poo, but if we kill their Skype history there will be murder.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm confused. Wouldn't dumping their user file mean poo poo like Skype history would get copied too?

No, it keeps its data in AppData\Roaming

Even worse is Chrome that keeps its settings in AppData\Local

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Mostly for saving time during a large scale deployment. 3 takes maybe an hour to finish depending on how much software and updates you need to install, 7 can be done in 10 minutes.

But on the other hand it costs you additional time for the setup, I never do 4-6 even if it takes a bit longer to setup.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

Since I just had to deal with this myself again, I feel like quoting to point out that this exact method is still needed for 6u24.

Couldn't you instead do
code:
c:\windows\syswow64\cmd.exe /c java-installer-6u24.exe /s
to run it in the 32 bit environment with the proper virtualized registry folders

Edit: I just tried that out of curiosity and it didn't work. gently caress Sun/Oracle.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 4, 2011

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Tip of mine: Unless you have a setup with a lot of branch offices, don't bother using SCCM for Updates. The one nice thing about it is that you can have the distribution points architecture create a lot of local update servers so you don't overload the VPN whenever a patch day comes.
The downsides are that authorizing new updates in SCCM is a lot more cumbersome, and the reporting is at best almost as good as WSUS, in some points it is actually quite a bit worse.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
I don't have a test machine with it handy, but you should be able to go to Programs, display updates, then choose uninstall IE9. Then load up process explorer and see what GUID was passed to msiexec to uninstall.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Take a few hard drives out of old PCs and put them into the server to extend the drive space. If they are too slow for server use, make a RAID0 out of them.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
"Obsolete" in SCCM parlance means that there is a second entry that references the same physical computer. You shouldn't need to keep them around for anything.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I've been testing out WDS today. With MDT I was able to use OSDComputerName=%SerialNumber% to set the computer name to the serial number. Is that possible to do with WDS? Would running the tests in a VM cause it to fail for lack of a serial number?

Right now I have the "second" XML file with "4 specialize" and Windows-Shell-Setup setting ComputerName to %SerialNumber% and the install fails at "Setup is applying system settings" with error "could not parse or process the file for pass [specialize]. The setting cannot be applied for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup]". The XML file passed validation.

No, the %serialnumber% variable is an MDT specific thing.

You would have to hack something using powershell and
code:
(gwmi win32_bios).SerialNumber

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Why aren't you installing the updates in the image before you capture it?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
I have the hope that SCCM 2012 is finally automatable with Powershell instead of having to develop stuff in C# .NET

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Ifan posted:

What kind of tasks are you thinking about?

A big plus would be the ability to add users to collections to publish software.

One of the more stupid things about SCCM is that you can publish software to AD groups, but if you do it like that, the user has to logoff/logon again for the software to show up. If you just stick them into a collection, they get their software within 15 minutes.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
If the parent domain has a forest functional level of 2008 you're hosed. Its domain functional level doesn't matter though.

And the procedure is pretty straightforward, start dcpromo on the new to-be domain controller, choose advanced mode, check "new domain in an existing forest" and provide a password to an enterprise admin in the parent domain.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
I'd say lovely drivers are a reason to go virtual. Not many developers will test their application with every weird network adapter there is out there, but almost everyone will at least try to test on Hyper-V and ESXi.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
$1300 for a server license when you can buy decent 1U servers for $3000 is a bit silly. I sure hope you can get big discounts off that price...

peak debt fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 26, 2012

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Do the VMware drivers have an inf file? If yes, you can inject it into your WIM with DISM and have it available from the first boot.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

InfiniteDonkey posted:

Has anybody had any experience with Dell's Kace?

My boss booked me a meeting with a Dell representative about Kace and i've been reading about it on the Kace website.

We have a fully working SCCM 2007 and i'm not really thrilled about introducing a another solution for managing and deploying computers. I'd just rather update to SCCM 2012.

I played around with the VM for evaluation and it's pretty decent in a "not quite as good as SCCM for much cheaper" kind of way.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
If price is that important, then WSUS is free.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
If you run such scripts, they need to be run under the actual "administrator" account. That one ignores all UAC settings and lets scripts run with admin rights by default. So you will need to enable the administrator account in the unattend xml instead of it creating the normal Win7 default account.

To get the model name you can use:
gwmi win32_computersystem | select model

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Powershell is a full programming language, you can do whatever you want with it once you have a text value in a variable somewhere...

i.e.
$computer = gwmi win32_computersystem
$computer.rename($computer.model)

This code of course won't make much sense like this because the model name probably contains spaces that you cannot use in the PC name, and you cannot name every PC the same name of course so you will need to do some additional manipulation.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
MDT will help with adding applications and making editing the unattend file more convenient, but it cannot do everything either. I'm pretty sure if you want to change the description you will still have to do it by a script.

But you can find this stuff out on the Internet, as:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=powershell+change+computer+description

The first result mentions that you can change the local computer description with:
$comp = gwmi win32_operatingsystem
$comp.description = "User: $dn Location: $office"
$comp.put()

So to use the model name, you change this to:
$computer = gwmi win32_computersystem
$comp = gwmi win32_operatingsystem
$comp.description = $computer.model
$comp.put()

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
If you can only see the two abovementioned tasks, it means it's not getting the policy correctly from the server. So you will probably be missing the SCCM settings published in AD, and the SMSMP option passed to the client installer.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
There is nothing special needed to add a 2008 server to a 2003 domain. You just install it, run dcpromo and there you go. You won't get the special features (more robust sysvol replication, readonly DCs) until you upgrade the domain of course but it runs on the same level as the 2003 servers.

Dell has the "Dell Driver Download Manager" which is pretty awesome and lets you make easy batch files that update your hardware.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Gyshall posted:

Q: Has anyone found a reliable solution for automated off-site backups?

As far as my experience with "tape drive - carry offsite" goes, it just doesn't work. It does work for a month or two then the assistant/receptionist who's supposed to do the work inevitably gets lazy or fucks up the sorting. By the time you actually have a hardware failure and need to disaster recovery something you can be 100% sure that Murphy is going to gently caress you.

The domain unjoin thing is most likely related to stale backups. If you backup a computer, then leave the backup lying around for weeks while the live system does all kinds of edits to its account, the domain will get confused if there's suddenly a version from the past showing up and claiming to be the genuine thing, and refuse authentication. It seems that Windows 8 will improve on this.

Personally as far as bare metal backups go, I've had great experiences with Disk2VHD from SysInternals. On Windows 6.x it perfectly backs up the current hard disk, and once you launch the virtual machine or restore it to a physical one you can just boot and log in provided the backup is not more than a week old or so. Note that starting a recovered copy of a system where it can contact the domain will kick off the old PC from the domain though.
It doesn't work that well with Windows XP because of the whole HAL/drivers problems inherent to that platform, you will most likely have to sysprep a computer after restoring it.

As far as your problems with Axcient go, this is really more of a political issue... Best advice I can give you there is to document exactly what went wrong when, filing emails, ticket numbers and short descriptions so that you have something solid to back your opinion when the poo poo hits the fan (or you eventually have had enough and want to talk to the CEO about the contract). If you actually have solid proof they lost the hard disk (invoice from the courier showing that it was sent out and an email from them telling that they never got anything) that's already pretty good and proving that they suck.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
The 2012 MMC isn't really any better though, mine that I run in a site with 1500 PCs needs around 2GB of RAM and 2GHz of processing power.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Don't be overly dramatic about that storage space. 100 emails per user times 100kB per image times $15k per TB is 15 cents per day and user. And those are extremely generous numbers. Give management that number and they can decide for themselves whether having prettied up emails is worth a couple hundred additional expenses per day. If marketing says that they will get more customers with pretty pictures in the signature and that it will be worth it in the long time, then let them try.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

jassa posted:

How do you guys manage drivers in SCCM? I've had to step up and take over the apps/drivers/OSD stuff at my work recently (I'm teaching myself as I go) and it seems a lot of people think creating driver packages/using WMI queries is the best way to go in an environment with many different models of PC. At the moment we basically rely on Auto Apply Drivers to choose and install the right drivers, and whenever I mention changing things our SCCM consultant tries to talk me out of it, mostly because of the increased overhead involved.

I use WMI queries and "Install Package" because it allows me to keep the file structures as they are from the HP packages, which makes updating easier and removing superceded drivers actually possible.

If I receive a HP driver update email for a PC model that I have in use I can just look up what package that replaces and swap them out instead of having to go fish for multiple drivers in a 1000+ list.

Besides, not all drivers play well with "auto apply". Case in point is the Quick Keys driver for the EliteBook 2540p. If you have that in SCCM and use auto apply, the 2530p will try to install that driver and then bluescreen on the next boot.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 6, 2012

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
You can do that in SCCM 2007 too.

What I use is I download updates with https://www.wsusoffline.net

Then inject them into the WIM with
code:
dism /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /mountdir:c:\temp\mount /index:1
dism /image:c:\temp\mount /add-package /Packagepath:patch-xxx.cab
dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\temp\mount /commit
You can only do this with the Windows updates, not the Office one, and only with the ones that come in cab format, but this also works for injecting them into the wim file directly off the Microsoft DVD, and it cuts down the patching by around 80 patches.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
You cannot create user accounts that have the same pre-2000 user name - even if they do differentiate afterwards - so this shouldn't be a problem.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
This is the reason for why a DNS server itself should never be multihomed. If you have a different server for every VLAN, then computers will only report each respective address to their assigned DNS so this problem won't happen.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
This is the script I use
code:
// Searches the registry for all versions of installed Java runtimes and uninstalls them

// Terminates all running IE instances
killProcesses("iexplore.exe");

var shell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
keyPath = "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall";
HKLM = 0x80000002;

// Enumerate all the subkeys of the Uninstall registry
oLoc = new ActiveXObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator");
oSvc = oLoc.ConnectServer(null, "root\\default");
oReg = oSvc.Get("StdRegProv");
oMethod = oReg.Methods_.Item("EnumKey");
oInParam = oMethod.InParameters.SpawnInstance_();
oInParam.hDefKey = HKLM;
oInParam.sSubKeyName = keyPath;
colItems = oReg.ExecMethod_(oMethod.Name, oInParam);

var x = colItems.sNames.toArray()

for (i=0; i<x.length; i++)
{
	try
	{
		displayName = shell.RegRead("HKLM\\" + keyPath + "\\" + x[i] + "\\DisplayName");

// Try to find all old Java runtimes no matter how it was called back then
		if (displayName.indexOf("Java(TM) 6 Update") == 0 || 
			displayName.indexOf("Java 2 Runtime Environment") == 0 || 
			displayName.indexOf("J2SE Runtime Environment") == 0 || 
			displayName.indexOf("Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment") == 0
			)
		{
			displayVersion = shell.RegRead("HKLM\\" + keyPath + "\\" + x[i] + "\\DisplayVersion");
			WScript.Echo(displayName);
			WScript.Echo(displayVersion);

// If this installation is not Java 7, uninstall it
			if (displayName.indexOf("Java(TM) 7"))
			{
				uninstall = shell.RegRead("HKLM\\" + keyPath + "\\" + x[i] + "\\UninstallString");
				uninstallString = uninstall + " /qb";
				WScript.Echo(uninstallString);

// If the uninstallstring is using /i as an argument we need to replace it with /x
				// MsiExec.exe /I{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142100} /qb
				if (uninstallString.toLowerCase().indexOf('/i') != -1)
				{
					uninstallString = uninstallString.replace(/\/i/i, '/x');
					WScript.Echo('=> ' + uninstallString);
				}

WScript.Echo(shell.Run(uninstallString, 1, true));
			}
		}
	}
	catch (e)
	{
	}
}

function killProcesses(processName)
{
	debug("Trying to kill all instances of " + processName);

var wmiService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\\\.\\root\\cimv2");
	var colItems = wmiService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = '" + processName + "'", "WQL", 0x30);

var enumItems = new Enumerator(colItems);
	for (; !enumItems.atEnd(); enumItems.moveNext())
	{
		var objItem = enumItems.item();

debug("Killing " + processName);
		objItem.terminate();
	}
}

function debug(errorMessage)
{
	if (WScript.FullName.indexOf("cscript") != -1)
		WScript.Echo(errorMessage);
}
It goes through the registry, finds out which Javas are currently installed, and removes all that aren't Java 7 (Java 7 installers properly remove old versions themselves)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Back in 2007 or so when working for an office where there were like 40 printers for 150 people I made an HTA script that listed all available printers with their fancy names (taken from an AD property) and added them through WSH when clicked on.

Where I currently work at the official way is to send people asking for help adding printers a one-page PDF telling them how to go to Start->Printers->Add Printer

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sacred Cow posted:

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I did the registry hack they suggested in the KB and everything started working again after reinstalling the Management Point.

But it will also disable automatic client reinstallation, so you'll have to do the manual resets again like in 2007 :(

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
That's the official way. You switch on account logon success events on your domain controllers (all of them, remember), let the whole thing run for a couple days then filter the security logs of all DCs by the account name you are looking for.

Or just disable the account and wait until somebody complains, that works too...

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
"Audit account logon events" is what you want, that's for when some other PC uses this DC to verify a password.
"Audit logon events" is when somebody actually logs in to this DC.

And to be honest, that first setting should be on at least for failures just for security best practices...

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Italy's Chicken posted:

Enterprise Print Management question: How do you deal with multiple sites (10+) and users who randomly work at each site? GPO works fine to add printers to profiles we specify with a windows groups, but then the end-user ends up with 10 different sites' printers in their single profile. I'd really like the users to only see printers that are physically at the site they are signed into at that moment in time. Is there anyway do add printers based on what IP the user's machine is getting or another way???

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/10/10/windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-location-aware-printing.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
But note that GPPs execute on logon, while location aware printing does when the laptop receives an IP address. If people carry their laptops around on standby or have to manually connect to the WLAN after logging in, GPPs won't work.