Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I want to setup RPC over HTTP (Outlook Anywhere) on our Exchange 2003 server. Can someone tell me what SSL cert I need to buy? What is the difference between a UC cert and an IIS cert, as seen here: http://www.entrust.net/microsoft/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So it's actually going to be on a public IP and not just in a perimeter network? But even still, it doesn't need to be in a perimeter network.

Swink posted:

There's a MS program I'm recalling that has a shitload of 'best practice' GPOs for specific OSs. You punch in "2008R2" and it spits out a GPO that you can review and import. I cannot for the life of me remember what its called.

Before all that you should ask if it actually needs to be internet facing. That's dumb.

If you remember what it's called, I'd love to look into it.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

We still use Trend unfortunately and I hate it. A friend of mine who works in government uses Sophos and he swears by it. Says it is amazing, works great and easy to manage. One day I'll convince my boss to make the switch.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

GanjamonII posted:

Is there some tool I can run that will give me all the membership of the local admin, remote desktop users, users? Specifically I need to identify any domain users/groups..

This? http://www.quest.com/powershell/activeroles-server.aspx

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

ghostinmyshell posted:

Quick CAL question. Do I need to buy a server CAL for any accounts that are used for runas services accounts only?

I asked this a while ago, not sure if it was this thread or not. The way it was answered was only "real" accounts need a CAL. A real user. Everything that is used for administration, automation, etc., does not require a CAL.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Has anyone tried doing WDS + MDT with Windows 8.1 yet? Does it work well? If so, any good tutorials/documentation out there? (I've never done this before or used sysprep)

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

We use BackupAssist for 2003 r2 and 2008 r2 servers and it works brilliantly. I've even had to do a server restore once and that actually worked surprisingly well.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Drobo are pretty much universally hated I'm pretty sure. Just visit some of the storage threads in SH/SC.

I'd go with a QNAP.

edit:

GreenNight posted:

Here you go!

http://mdtguy.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/deploy-windows-8-1-with-mdt-2013-and-the-adk-8-1/

That link is extremely basic but a quick Google search shows a few people who made in depth deployment guides for Windows 8.1.

also thanks

kiwid fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 12, 2013

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

lol internet. posted:

Anyone ever been audited before? What's the outcome normally?

My company is getting audited. Missing a lot of licenses it looks like.

We get audited by Microsoft like every 3 years and the only outcome of it is buying a huge poo poo tonne of missing licenses.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

My boss just informed me that we need to provide remote desktop access to a small group of users that will support a particular software suite at all our branches rather than having our help desk deal with it. What is the best way to do this? These users can have absolutely administrative access to any machines except for a whitelisted group. I supposed we'll be giving them local admin on those machines where the software is installed. They also need to be restricted from connecting to any machine that isn't part of the whitelisted group. Should we be using remote desktop or some other software?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So, our users are getting more and more upset by the day that we don't allow them to install Dropbox, Skydrive or Google Drive on company computers (even though there is technically nothing stopping them from using the web based versions).

This was mainly because we think the idea of having company files scattered all over a bunch of personal dropbox accounts is kind of hosed up.

I've been tasked to find a enterprise alternative to a cloud storage solution that works multi-platform (or windows + ipad/iphone at the least) that gives us a bit of central administration and some control.

Can anyone recommend anything? Also, we kind of didn't want to go down the sharepoint road if we don't have to. We just want something simple that isn't going to require a lot of administration.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Doesn't the corporate version of dropbox allow you to control the users accounts?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that we'd like something we can implement ourselves as a "private" cloud type thing.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Arishtat posted:

Our company evaluated a few products and came down to two which were the front runners. Both are hosted locally and can also be used to expose existing SMB shares to internal (AD) users as well as external users and download links. One is called Varonis DatAnywhere and the other was Gladinet Cloud Enterprise. Another product that wasn't evaluated but looks promising is Acronis' ActivEcho and MobilEcho.

We also looked at a product from Tonido and decided it wasn't sufficiently mature so skip that one. Oxygen Cloud was dropped because the cost per user was well above what we were willing to pay.

Thanks I'll check these out.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Can someone explain KMS licensing to me please?

I was under the impression that you setup a KMS server on your network and then through DNS your client machines (Windows 8.1 in our case) would activate through this server. We have a KMS key for Windows 8.1 but whenever I Google "how to setup a KMS server", all I get is how to configure a KMS host (client?).

How does this work?

edit: or is it when they say KMS host, is the KMS host the server?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 21, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

skipdogg posted:

KMS host/KMS server, same thing. Whatever hosts the KMS service. It's pretty straightforward to be honest.

This has everything you need. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793419.aspx

So I can't use a Windows 8.1 Pro KMS key on a Windows 2008 R2 server (the server I want to be the host). Still don't quite understand. Where am I supposed to use this Windows 8.1 KMS key?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

skipdogg posted:

You need to install a hot fix to have Windows 8 or 8.1 auth to a 2008R2 server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885698

Ah, perfect, thank you.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

skipdogg posted:

You need to install a hot fix to have Windows 8 or 8.1 auth to a 2008R2 server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885698

And now I get this exact issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2752119/en-us

loving bullshit.

So it looks like I need to setup a Windows 8 KMS host or something.

edit: so just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, I can buy a Server 2012 KMS key and activate it on a 2008 R2 machine, correct? I don't really want to setup a Windows 8 box to be the kms host.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 21, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So, we finally got a non-zero budget this year and ordered 200 workstations to replace our Windows XP boxes. Since we've never ordered in bulk before, I took the initiative to setup a WDS server so we can sysprep and capture an image.

This is my first time doing this but I believe I have everything ready to go. I put the computer in audit mode, configured it and installed apps, then I syspreped it and captured the image to WDS. Then I downloaded the Windows 8.1 ADK and built some unattended answer files. I did a test deployment and everything works great.

My question is, what is MDT and why do people say to use WDS + MDT? I haven't touched MDT yet but what benefits will it give me over just using WDS + ADK?

edit: These are the tutorials I followed.

Part 1: http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000735.htm
Part 2: http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000737.htm
Part 3: http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000738.htm

kiwid fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 29, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Caged posted:

Think of WDS as the service that handles the actual deployment - network booting, pushing the images out etc. MDT is a nice way of interfacing with WDS in terms of driver packaging, and ties it in with System Center if that's your bag.

So with MDT, would I technically be able to build one image for a range of different models of desktops and then through MDT inject the drivers, or would I still be doing separate images for each model?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Unfortunately we don't have SCCM yet.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

We have an issue with two pieces of software conflicting with each other.

The first piece of software is Microsoft Lync 2013, the second is an old telnet program from 1998 that unfortunately we are still stuck using for a couple years.

If Lync 2013 is open, the telnet program can't open and just hangs indefinitely on the flash screen on startup. However, if you close Lync and open the telnet program, it works fine. And then Lync can be opened after the telnet program and all is good. This has caused a massive amount of help desk tickets and sending out an email to all users saying close lync and reopen it after you open the telnet program has proven futile.

I've tried using procmon.exe to figure out what is going on but I can't figure it out.

Anyone have any ideas?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

lol internet. posted:

What really is the benefit of running a core server? Just less poo poo so no random admins can go install stupid poo poo like adobe reader on the server?

Adobe Reader and Java are standard installs on all our servers.

:smithicide:

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So we just deployed 100+ machines using WDS for the first time and it went very smooth. Now though, we have a remote branch that is too far away to drive too and we had some computers shipped directly to the location. Since they're not going to be able to PXE boot I thought about using a discover image but then they'll still be pulling the install image from our location which isn't going to work. Is there any way to burn the install image to a DVD? Googling has only brought up discover image posts.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

babies havin rabies posted:

According to this thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...=w7itproinstall) you should be able to just convert your WDS install .wim into an .iso using AIK Tools, then just follow the normal procedure for creating bootable USB/DVD media. Another post says that given WinPE boot media, just the .wim would work.

Yikes, this got me on the right path but everything seems to be for Windows 7. Some of the tools have changed or no longer exist in the Windows 8.1 AIK. The Windows PE USB worked but then required a network share for the install images. I'd rather have these users just plug in a USB key, boot it and walk away for an hour. I ended up getting exactly that by doing this:

1. Export install.wim image from my deployment group on WDS
2. Extract the original Windows 8.1 install media to a folder
3. Replace the sources\install.wim with my exported file
4. Modified my answer file for WDS so it works with a DVD/USB boot then put it in the root\autounattend.xml
5. Used imgburn to create an ISO of this folder
6. Used rufas to create a bootable USB of this ISO

I tested it on multiple machines and it's working great.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

We use Meraki and it's not bad for a free product.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

My boss wants me to update every user in Active Directory with their address and phone numbers (approx 300 users). We have all the address and phone number information in csv format. What is the best way to import this information into Active Directory?

I was thinking maybe dumping Active Directory to a csv with their ID (is it objectSid or sAMAccountName?), matching up the info in the csv and then importing it back via a powershell script?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 21, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Do you guys use Exchange? We talked about doing that but then privacy concerns came up such as everyone in the company now knowing where you live.

We do, and actually this request was made by the CEO so that the Global Address List has this information available. And by addresses, I mean branch address, not personal addresses.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

incoherent posted:

If its only 300 peeps, learning scripting will help you accomplish this. But really you're at the 300 people size and you could use a tool like ADmodify.net (http://admodify.codeplex.com/) to mass update everyone.

I'm alright at PowerShell but like the other poster said, it's really only a one-off thing so writing a script seemed like a waste of time. I've used AD Modify before but not sure it would work if each user has a different phone number and extension.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

For one-off things, I usually just do it in excel rather than scripting. Have a list of user names in one column, the addresses in a second column, and make the third column something like

code:
="set-aduser "&A1&" -streetAddress """&B1&""""
Pull the formula down, and just paste the whole column into a powershell window.

Oh I never thought about copying formulas and doing it this way. Thanks, I think this will work.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

THF13 posted:

I do technical support for the employees of a pretty small company (~75 employees), but since it's pretty small I also get to do some jr. system admin stuff as well.

Right now we have no imaging setup whatsoever, I am setting everything up manually. Is SCCM overkill for a setup this size? I would primarily be using it to image machines, but I am interested in using it to install/update applications as well.

We're 100% using Windows 7 Professional, but have mostly OEM licenses. Is it true that I can imagine any number of machines using a ~5 machine group license as long as the machines I am imaging have valid individual OEM license?

Any other tips or things you would recommend doing if you were setting up an imaging setup from scratch would be appreciated.

If you have all OEM licenses then you should be able to setup a KMS server and never have to worry about it.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Seconded.

We switched from Numera Track-It to Spiceworks and couldn't be happier.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I've Googled around but can't really find a solid answer.

We use Spiceworks for our internal ticketing system. However, if an external user emails our help desk email address somehow, spiceworks will create a ticket. Is there any way to limit Spiceworks to only generate tickets from internal domains?

If not then the best way to solve this is to probably setup a transport rule on Exchange to drop email from external users, yes? External users should never be sending to this address.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Caged posted:

How are those emails getting into Spiceworks? Is it monitoring a mailbox, is it using a custom email address that's the member of a DL?

Yeah it's monitoring a mailbox which should only be known to internal recipients but some of our users must be telling external vendors to email it for certain things.

EoRaptor posted:

You can restrict it quickly to only members of the domain, if you like. Exchange Console -> Recipient Config. -> Mailbox -> <username> -> properties -> mail flow settings -> message delivery settings > properties -> and check 'require that all senders are authenticated'. Anybody (or anything) that isn't logged in won't be able to send email to this address.

Perfect, exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Ran into an interesting setup today. Imagine a bunch of folders on a file share:

Marketing
Accounting
HR

Instead of users being in an AD group named 'Marketing', and then having permissions assigned to the Marketing folder to the 'Marketing' AD group, there's a 'MarketingShareRead' and 'MarketingShareWrite' group with people in it, and then those groups are given permissions to that folder.

We do this but slightly different.

We constantly have people from other departments supporting the main department so we have an example setup like so:

Shares:
Accounting
Marketing
Trading

AD Groups:
Accounting (mail enabled security)
Accounting Support Read (security)
Accounting Support Write (security)
Marketing(mail enabled security)
Marketing Support Read (security)
Marketing Support Write (security)
Trading (mail enabled security)
Trading Support Read (security)
Trading Support Write (security)

If a user's main department is trading but they assist accounting, they get put into the Trading and Accounting Support groups.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Today was a glorious day.

There are times when I just absolutely love my job, and today was definitely one of them.

Today, I disabled stationery for Outlook 2003-2013 :mmmhmm:

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Does anyone have any experience with blacklisting specific words from the password complexity GPO? I did a quick Google search and it looks like I need to mess around with a custom .dll file or some poo poo. We have users that are literally using passwords like "CompanyName123" and other easily guessable passwords and I want to block this.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone here use HP servers? We are currently using Dell which we've never had any issues with except when it actually comes time to buy Dell hardware. We've gone through like 10 Dell reps in 5 years, each one taking several business days to respond to us which usually leads to getting perfect quotes a two-week ordeal. On the other hand, our CDW rep who deals mostly with HP is wonderful and is near instant contact. We're considering switching to HP hardware for this reason alone. Anyone have any comments regarding the two? The only downside to HP that I know of is their brutally awful website and their 100 model loving lineup, I never know how to choose hardware.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

We're starting to move to Dell from IBM ourselves, haven't seen an HP server in years. Is the support or lack thereof your biggest issue with Dell?

Not so much the support, just trying to get quotes from our Dell reps is the biggest issue. The process usually goes like this: Request quote > 1 business day later > Receive Quote > Modify Quote > 2 business days later > Receive incorrectly modified quote > Note errors > 2 business days later > Get quote. If you add any complexity at all then it get's even worse. Maybe we're just not a big enough client for them to assign a better rep, I don't know, it's just a huge wake up call when our CDW rep replies within minutes.

edit: like it's at a point where we'd rather just buy off the website, except we can't always configure everything we want from the website.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 21, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

LmaoTheKid posted:

I've resorted to third party sites on ebay to get replacement parts for Dell because they either take way too long or are obscenely expensive.

Dell is awful.

We've done this for hard drives. We've had RAID arrays sit in degraded states for weeks because Dell was so slow to get us a drive replacement for some out of warranty servers. And of course, they don't actually quote you the hard drive replacement, instead they quote you a 1 year renewal on the warranty at an obscene cost and the hard drive becomes "free replacement under warranty". I have a feeling our CDW rep could have us an HP drive in a day.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

sanchez posted:

What kind of things can't you configure? We have a premier login which covers nearly everything, I can buy a complete SAN without having a single conversation with sales. It's nice.

Well for example, we were looking at the Dell Precision T3610's (for the RAID-1 motherboard) and we can't configure additional hard drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

sanchez posted:

Get a premier login, I see options for a mix of 1-4 2.5/3.5 bays and whatever mixture of drives you prefer. The public website is not the greatest.

I emailed our Dell rep about this, he just replied:

quote:

Hello kiwid,

We are having some updates on the Premier site and not able to give new access at the moment. Please check again after July and we should be able to set you up

Thank you