Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Thanks Ants posted:

Remote Help will be one of those things that I just license (almost) regardless of cost, unlike Universal Print which I hate.

Can I ask what you hate about Universal Print? We're considering adopting it, and I'd like some feedback from those that have actually used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Is it possible to get machine-based wifi auth working while using a cert self signed by the NPS server? Just trying to gauge whether I should bite bullet and buy a cert from a CA since I don't really want to stand up a whole new PKI just to auth 50ish computers.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Thanks. I'm trying to lock down this wifi so that only members of an AD security group can auth to it. In my testing, it works with no issues if the security group contains users, the user just gets prompted for the AD creds and access is granted. However, if I switch to a group that contains computer objects, it no longer works. Same self-signed cert used for both network policies. I've tried manually importing the cert into the computer's Trusted Root CA store and into the Personal store for the computer. I've also tried distributing the same cert via a GPO and run into the same issue.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

SEKCobra posted:

You need to set the client to use computer authentication manually or through policy. You can debug by using the computer account instead of certificates.

That was it! Had the authentication set to 'User'. Rookie mistake on my part, thanks for helping me get it sorted!

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

This. I turned off WSUS a year ago and it's the best decision I've made in awhile.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
I'm looking for a way for an Azure AD joined machine to ONLY allow logins from local accounts. This is for a machine that some of our computerless users will use to login and do their mandatory trainings. I'd like to have them log in using a local 'Training' account, then once logged in, launch a browser and log into the training system using their personal credentials. These are older machines (with no budget to purchase anything new) so I'd prefer to not have a bunch of user profiles taking up space on the machine if possible.
Any ideas?

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Thanks y'all, I'll give kiosk mode a shot!

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

GreenNight posted:

Like how you can get one azure ad p2 license and then enable the features for your whole org.

lol, this still works?

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
The contract for our current AV solution - Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Cloud - is up for renewal in a few months and we're looking to get a couple of quotes from competitors. We have a couple contracts that stipulate that our endpoints need to have AV software installed so this is an organizational requirement.
What is the MS equivalent? Any other recommendations?

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

The Fool posted:

Pay for MS 365 directly instead of godaddy's garbage

1000 times this

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
I recently started a new job and I've been asked to get us set up with an Azure subscription so we can create VMs and do some WUfB reporting.
We currently have a perfectly functioning (ha) Azure AD tenant, so that part is already squared away, it's the subscription part that is stumping me.
According to MS documentation here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/wufb-reports-prerequisites we've got everything but the Azure subscription.
I went through the process of creating a free one, but that one seems to be associated with my individual account, as in my email address and info appears in the billing section and that's not what I want since I aint paying the bill. I've got global admin rights in our tenant so that shouldn't be a problem. When I log into the Azure portal I see the 'Subscriptions' link and I see the option to add a sub there, but when I click it...it has my name and email for the billing and wants me to add a credit card. Does everyone just use a company CC when setting these up? We have a CSP (CDW), am I supposed to go through them? I managed our Azure stuff at my old job but the subscriptions were already set up when I got there so I've never actually had to do this portion before. Is there something else I'm missing here?

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Cyks posted:

A director requested the ability for staff to have a dial-in number for Teams meetings and from what I can tell, this was made free last year, I just need to purchase the free license (that’s called dial-out) and assign to users.

I tested it on my account and it seemed to work no problem. Is there anything I need to be careful of before assigning licenses out? Like a way for somebody to accidentally rack up charges?

Similar scenario and question from me. I need to accomplish the same thing, but when I try to purchase the required free license, I get a message stating that I'm not eligible to purchase it :|

Any ideas?

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

snackcakes posted:

Do you have any of the following licenses already?

Enterprise: Microsoft 365 E3, Office 365 E3, Office 365 E1
Frontline: Microsoft 365 F3, Microsoft 365 F1, Office 365 F3
SMB: Microsoft 365 Business Basic, Business Standard, Business Premium

If so, do you have them direct through Microsoft or through a CSP? If it's through a CSP you'll probably need to buy the license through them even though it's free.

That's kinda what I figured. We buy our O365 E3 licenses through a CSP I'll reach out to them next week. Thanks.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Is there a way to prevent standard users from creating subscriptions within an Azure tenant? We've had a few incidences lately where random employees have created subscriptions and we're looking to prevent that.
I've already set AllowAdHocSubscriptions to false but that seems to have no effect. I've talked to our SIEM (ArcticWolf) to see if they can at least alert on this, but they can't...because they can only do monitoring per subscription, not at the management group level. I've restricted access to the Azure portal for non-admin users as well.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Thanks, I'll take a look at roles and related RBAC stuff tomorrow. I just started this job 3 months ago and I'm finding all kinds of messed up poo poo security-wise so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Pretty much. If you're building a new environment Entra (or a non-Microsoft IDP that easily wires into Entra) is the cleanest path for user account management in an M365 environment that gives you all of the other user services including file shares. Assuming no legacy app integration this all wires into on-prem AD pretty easily, but chances are the reason this org is asking these questions is legacy app integration.

This has piqued my interest. Does Okta fit this definition?

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Is it possible to make a group in Entra and have a non-admin user add/remove members? I know that I can assign the user as an owner and have them approve membership requests, but I need to have the user add the members without having the members request membership if that makes sense.
Dang I used the word 'member' a lot in that sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
There's also Security Defaults, which work pretty well for a baseline of security if you don't want/need to get into managing a bunch of CA policies, etc. Works well for smaller businesses with simpler needs, so it's not for all situations.