Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

thebigcow posted:

What does it break? Its pending me finally rebooting....

http://www.infoworld.com/article/28...il-defende.html

It basically breaks all code signing verification and even makes built in Windows components like cmd.exe and taskmgr.exe report that they come from an "untrusted publisher" on Windows 7 x64 and Server 2008 R2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Here's some more details on why KB3004394 might be busted:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13677#comment:6

quote:

From what I can tell, the KB3004394 update does not install a catalog file on 64-bit windows 7. It does on Windows 8.1 (C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\Package_1_for_KB3004394~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.0.cat), so VBox works fine there.

The result of the missing .cat file is that VBox (nor SysInternal's SigCheck.exe for that matter) is not able to verify the authenticity of c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll and wintrust.dll. If we cannot find any valid signature for the files, we have to assume that they have been tampered with and are forced to abort application loading. These two dlls are important for validating other components, so there is absolutely no way we can ignore this.

Until Microsoft fixes the KB3004394 update on Windows 7, the only solution is to revert/uninstall it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love my job some days. This is not one of those days.

Thankfully I had only deployed and installed it on my pre-test stations. It was in the list going out to the update preview users but I managed to pull it back before it hit the install deadline.

I ca only imagine what this must be doing to places that don't have a update review process :stonk:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

It looks like the following updates are all bad this month:

KB3004394 - the root certificate one that breaks all code signing validation
KB3008923 - MS14-080 - this IE security update will make IE crash on some web pages that heavily use modal dialogs
KB3011970 - Silverlight update - breaks Silverlight's DRM
KB2553154 - MS14-082 - this security update for Excel 2007/2010/2013 will cause ActiveX macros to stop functioning
KB2986475 - CU8 for Exchange 2010 SP3 will prevent some (all?) Outlook clients from connecting

I'm guessing that a lot of people are going to be getting very drunk this week.

e: the Silverlight one was wrong

Number19 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 11, 2014

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Gyshall posted:

I had a brand new 2008 R2 VM install yesterday that failed sfc /scannow after initial install of Windows Updates, which is just grand.

Yeah, sfc /scannow will fail after KB3004394 is installed because it can't verify the signatures on most if not all of the system files.

I really can't believe this one actually got released as it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Do you have users with domain attached laptops? If yes then this very serious.

If not it's still possible for an attack but it would have to be inside your LAN so you can just patch normally. An attacker would have to be able to compromise your network infrastructure and impersonate your domain controllers. If that's the case you probably have a lot more to worry about than this.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I have been renaming AD joined computers for years and have yet to have a trust issue occur. SCCM sometimes does strange things though...

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Thalagyrt posted:

I've always done it with the system properties control panel, just rename the computer like you normally would. Never once had a problem, not even back in the Windows 2000 days.

This is what I'm doing and it has never caused a problem.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I use the users and groups GP client extension along with item level targeting to grant a single user local admin on specific workstations. It's a huge pain to set up the first time but once it's done it's pretty good.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

It's Patch Tuesday which means it's time to start drinking: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-080

quote:

This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows, Microsoft .NET Framework, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Lync, and Microsoft Silverlight. The most severe of the vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted document or visits an untrusted webpage that contains embedded TrueType or OpenType fonts.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hate my life

At least there's no known exploits but I suppose that doesn't mean much in this day and age.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

CLAM DOWN posted:

MS15-081 (Office) and MS15-085 (Windows USB vuln) are under active attack according to Dustin Childs who I completely trust on this stuff :sigh:

I'm shoving all the criticals out the door today. I guess I'll toss in 085 as well for good measure.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

A new out of band security bulletin has been published: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms15-093.aspx

It's an Internet Explorer RCE with active exploits but no public disclosure. Probably want to patch all workstations ASAP.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

2012 -> 2012R2 was definitely not a free upgrade. They even raised the prices when R2 came out.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I always try to detect Windows Installer versions as I find them to be more reliable overall. That way I don't have to keep track of file paths and can usually get my detection rule working without having to do a trial install of the software.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

If you're using Server 2012 R2 as your DHCP server you can follow this article to serve the correct PXE boot file to BIOS or UEFI computers using DHCP Policy and VendorClass:

https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=BIOS_and_UEFI_Co-Existence

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

FISHMANPET posted:

Two questions:
Has anyone successfully used DHCP options to offer the UEFI boot image for PXE booting? We've tried and it doesn't work as there's some additional network communication that the client tries to make when downloading the image. We're using an ISC DHCP server and I haven't found anyone with our problem but I haven't found anyone saying it works either.

Second, for anyone that's upgraded to ConfigMgr 1511, have you been able to use the pre-production client stuff? As far as I can tell the only way to specify a client as pre-production is when the upgrade is done via the console. Since that's not possible for installing this upgrade, it appears to not be possible. I've found plenty of articles that tell you how to do it, but they just parrot the instructions from Microsoft, and their screenshots show a blank pre-production client version, so they haven't actually done it either.

I offer, boot from and run OSD deploys using BIOS or UEFI with no issues. I've been doing it for a while too. Before I had a 2012R2 DHCP server I had two VLANs for PXE boot with different DHCP scopes. It all worked perfectly.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

beepsandboops posted:

We just started bringing our deployment methodology into this decade and I'm still learning the ropes. We bought a Windows volume license and are starting to use MDT/WDS.

From what our vendor told me, if a computer came with an OEM Windows 8 license, I have imaging rights for it with Windows 8, but not 8.1.

Is there a good workaround for this, or am I just doomed to image machines with 8 and manually upgrade them to 8.1?

8/8.1 share the same license.

e: so long as you are upgrading to the same version. Pro -> Pro is fine, Pro -> Enterprise is a new license.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

BadLock is coming and it looks horrendously bad. Here's the marketing BS site:

http://badlock.org/

Here's some other links with impact analysis:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3047227/security/prepare-to-patch-a-critical-flaw-in-windows-and-samba-file-sharing.html
https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2016/03/bad-luck-over-the-upcoming-badlock-vulnerability/

Hopefully we get to April 12th without this breaking embargo or someone making an exploit that targets it. Regardless, the next Patch Tuesday is going to be a crazy one.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Happy Badlock day

Just a little over an hour until we know how much scotch we're going to need today :shepface:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Walked posted:

oh boy oh boy oh boy

:shepicide:

Wonder if Microsoft will actually drop a patch on/before they disclose.

Disclosure breaks when patches are released and the discloser is saying exploits will be easily reversed from the patch data

So if the exploit is truly awful it could be a patch now thing

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Yes. They are disclosing responsibly. The embargo ends when the patch is out.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Here's Badlock: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-047

It doesn't look as bad as it was feared, but I think it still requires testing and patching quickly.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Internet Explorer posted:

Wait until you apply the patch and find all the nice Microsoft bugs that come with rushed patches!

I'm still wrapping my head around it but it sounds like unless you have SMB/Samba exposed to a compromised network, you should be relatively okay?

It looks like someone can sit a computer passively in a network and MITM user logins to harvest credentials by forcing a security downgrade on the protocol. It is definitely exploitable but it also feels like if someone is already far enough into your network to do this then you have worse problems.

It needs patching but it's not "holy poo poo the world is burning down" levels of bad.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

CLAM DOWN posted:

Am I reading this correctly, or is this not even an SMB protocol problem as earlier hinted? It looks like it's LSAD and SAMR.

From the article:

quote:

My application or product uses the SMB protocol, does this issue affect me?
No. Only applications and products that use the SAM or LSAD remote protocols are affected by this issue. The SMB protocol is not vulnerable.

So no, not SMB related at all.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

If you have any Server 2012/2012 R2 domain controllers (or DNS servers) you probably want to patch them now. There an unauthenticated root-level RCE in Windows DNS Server on those platforms:

quote:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-071

A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Windows Domain Name System (DNS) servers when they fail to properly handle requests. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could run arbitrary code in the context of the Local System Account. Windows servers that are configured as DNS servers are at risk from this vulnerability.

To exploit the vulnerability, an unauthenticated attacker could send malicious requests to a Windows DNS server. The update addresses the vulnerability by modifying how Windows DNS servers handle requests.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The problem appears to be that group policy is read by the computer account first. The computer then decides if the user's security group has the rights to apply the policy. The change to the GPO system involved the Kerberos system and preventing a MitM attack against the GPO authentication system that could result in privilege escalation. I'm guessing that the computer was impersonating the user for the purposes of reading the policy and this update changes that mechanism or causes it to no longer function as it once did, causing the processing of these policies to fail. Adding Read permissions to Authenticated Users on the GPOs gives the computer the ability to see the GPO again and perform the follow up checks it needs to apply the policy if needed.

This doesn't affect computer targeted GPOs with security filtering since you'd expect the computer to not need to read the GPO to see if it needs to process it. It can ignore it completely since it's clearly not applicable.

edit:

Yeah, we were talking about this in the Small Shop thread, but Enterprise is probably a better place.

It's annoying because you have a bunch of people coming out and blaming the users (in this case, us IT guys) for using Security Filtering. Yes, the best practice is to use OUs or GPP with Targeting to limit what policies apply, but OUs is just needlessly complex and GPP with Targeting often has its own set of problems. Plus, there are some things you want to force (via Policy) instead of "set default" (via Preferences). Yes, Microsoft has said since the beginning that Authenticated Users should be left under Security Filtering as removing it removes the user's read rights to that GPO and causes "problems"... but the Group Policy Management console literally shows the following:

It's a dumb bug. Blaming your users for using a setting for the only conceivable reason to use the setting is dumb.

[Edit: I guess I should add the current workaround. Go to the Delegation tab and re-add Authenticated Users back. The Security Filtering will still work.]

This just adds more fuel to the "maybe they shouldn't have fired all those QA people" fire. This update either clearly wasn't tested enough to find an obvious use case where it would fail, or this failure was found and workaround was not added to the KB article. Either way, it's a pretty bad gently caress up by MS.

Number19 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

That's all well and good, but again, Microsoft's communication on issues is awful. They know that people use this setting. Like I said, GPM shows that's... what you use the setting for. There's no other reason for it to even exist. If it is as you said, I would hope that Microsoft would have known that this was going to bite people, and they should have come out before the patch telling people to make the Delegation changes. Or you know, even after. We still get to rely on a lovely forum full of other users to play "figure it out."

This is bad communication for sure. It's also actually in some ways making environments less secure as well. In that Reddit thread, a user points out that in some higher security organizations, having every GPO readable by Authenticated Users is undesirable. It gives an attacker who gains a foothold on any domain joined computer the ability to poke through all the policies in SYSVOL, looking for network drives and other potentially sensitive settings that you don't want everyone to see. I think MS is going to have to rethink this update since for many organizations the fix might be worse than the vulnerability.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I've been designing an AD revamp lately and I decided to brush up on my best practices. I found some presentations at a MS conference and one of them by one of the top guys that designs complex ADs for a living outright said "GPO by OU is rigid and inflexible, stop doing it. Use security filtering instead and use OUs for administrative delegation only." Even the experts on this topic can't agree so how in the gently caress are the sysadmins in the field supposed to know how things should be done anymore? As you said, security filtering did exactly what it said on the box, until yesterday when suddenly it doesn't anymore and the silence from MS on the topic is very irritating.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Update on the GPO thing: MS updated the KB to confirm that the machine account is now used to read user policies and that you need to add read permissions for either Authenticated Users or Domain Computers to each policy you remove the default security filtering from. The behaviour change in this update will not be revised and this is the new normal.

Nice of them to let us know that one in advance :rolleye:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I can tell you that in my organization we only own SCCM, nothing else. We didn't itemize for it either, it was part of the EA.

The System Center product family gives you SQL entitlement for their products, meaning you can have a single SQL instance (full) that all of their stuff rides on. Not an instance per product, but a single instance for ALL of them.

The lovely thing is that this means you can't set the WSUS DB on that instance, so you either use the WID or throw it on another SQL box that you pay a license for.

If WSUS, SCCM and SQL are all running on the same server you are allowed to use SQL for WSUS. Also for parts of MDT is it is also all hosted on the same server.

It's really convoluted but That's Microsoft :v:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

It's Patch Tuesday and it looks like we've got a root level RCE in the font renderer again (surprise!!!) with an active exploit:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/MS16-132

Time to start patching.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

CLAM DOWN posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:same:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

A quick heads up for anyone with WSUS: you might not be able to sync with Microsoft Update right now if you have the Upgrades classification selected. Turning it off makes syncing function again. It must have something to do with the Creator's Update.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

We started our Windows 10 upgrade at v1511 thankfully due to all the initial problems with v1507. I'm just about to push through v1607 next week and I'm holding my breath that my successful deployment tests were a positive omen for the rest of the fleet...

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

A CA will use either the expiry in the template or it’s own expiry date when issuing a cert, whichever is sooner. This prevents a cert from expiring after the CA cert and causing a cert chain validity issue.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

This Microsoft blog article explains it pretty well:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kammertime/2018/07/13/servicing-channels-explained/

Windows Server SAC is basically for containers where you can redeploy containerized apps quickly, instead of using in place upgrades. It also only comes in Server Core and Nano (if that's still alive). It's not a good Hyper-V host and MS says you shouldn't do it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Hey, if you still have Windows Server 2008 R2 (or earlier :gonk:) in your networks, get to patching pretty much ASAP. There's a CVSS3 Base 9.8 score, pre-authentication, wormable attack against RDP:

quote:

A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Remote Desktop Services – formerly known as Terminal Services – when an unauthenticated attacker connects to the target system using RDP and sends specially crafted requests. This vulnerability is pre-authentication and requires no user interaction. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could execute arbitrary code on the target system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.

To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker would need to send a specially crafted request to the target systems Remote Desktop Service via RDP.

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2019-0708

:stonk:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

incoherent posted:

yikes. what if you got RDP gateway? Same deal?

e: well at least NLA buys me some time so i'm not rolling out a same day patch.

e2: you buried the lead here, they're patching XP and 2003 too. Though earlier was 2008\vista.

I just rolled it anyways even with NLA on. I only have a couple of 2008R2s left anyways so why not get it over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Sickening posted:

Why on earth would anyone still have rdp gateway?

Why would anyone still have Windows xp/server 2003? Enough must that MS pushed updates for a long dead product.