Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!

Crazak P posted:

Thanks, once we get all our servers to 2008, that's the plan.

I should have been specific, but we're planning on running 2008 R2 datacenter edition. Thanks for the tips on adprep32 and the VM stuff. I don't think I would have read about it in the material that I'm using.

I just wanted to chime in here.

We just got done with a decent-sized migration from a 2003 AD to 2008. We actually had a MS consultant on-site for a large majority of the migration, with several weeks/months of conference calls and coordinating to make sure everything went smoothly.

I only bring this up because I specifically remember being on those conference calls and hearing the consultant ask (at least 2 times): "Are you sure that you don't have any 2000 domain controllers?" We did not...everything was already 2003. He kept asking because apparently there are some goofy steps* that need to happen if you're going from 2000 straight to 2008, that are not an issue if you're just going from 2003 to 2008. I believe it was also related to having Exchange in the environment, but I could be wrong.

I only bring this up because I'd hate to see someone run into an issue like this (esp. on an AD upgrade) if it's avoidable. I'm sorry I can't remember any further specifics on it (like I said, the issue wasn't applicable to our environment so we kind of glanced over that portion of the pre-check). It may just be over-protective and a non-issue, but it may also warrant doing a little more research. It would certainly suck epic amounts of rear end for something like an AD upgrade to go south half-way through the process.

* Honestly, I don't remember if it was extra steps that needed to happen, or if there was more of a potential for issues in skipping a version. I just remember that he specifically asked on a couple of different occasions to make sure that we didn't have any 2000 DCs before the 2008 upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!
This might have been answered before, but I'm having a hell of a time finding any decent results.

I've got several OUs in AD. A few of those, I've delegated control to some of our lower techs so that they can reset passwords, unlock accounts....basic help line stuff. However, that was ages ago.

Does anyone know of a way that I can find the security properties of a given OU so that I can see who has been delegated control into it? Right now, I have no way to audit who has been delegated anything, so I'm stuck just jotting down any changes I make in a TXT file so that I don't forget. Seems like this should be an easy something to find, but damned if I'm able to discover it. Thanks in advance.