Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I spent the last 2 months learning SCCM. I've setup MDT from scratch in the past.

I got a fully working ZTI. Biggest pain in the asses which I went through was 1. XP deployment. BSOD like mad. and 2. Driver management. Sometimes "Auto Apply" simply doesn't work. I just do driver packages and don't import that poo poo into my driver DB anymore. Keeps it cleaner and easier to organize but again it requires a lot of time investment.

I have a couple images. Generic images with no software and a couple of hybrid images.

The hybrid image was a windows 7 and it contains SQL 2005/2008. The reason for this is because I ended up couldn't justifying how much time i'll invest in getting the SQL packages to work. I would have to slipstream the SQL SP1 into the installer before even setting up the package to test.

Most of the headaches are over for me. I still have a couple issues here and there, not really related to ZTI but booting of unknown computers. It doesn't seem to work even when thought I advertised to "All Unknown Systems" but when I advertised to "All Unknown Systems", "All Systems", and "All Desktops and Servers". "Unknown" computer pxe boot does work, but obviously I can't keep those task sequences advertised to those collections.

If anyone has any suggestions on this, it would be great. I've been just booting from CD for new systems temporary as it's not high on my priority list.

I rolled out a ZTI installation of windows xp to a remote location over the a internet vpn connection :lol: from North America to Europe. Took me 4 hours!

edit: How much is SCCM anyways?
edit2: Anyway to tell sccm to run the advertisment on the client machine like.. right now? Normally I wait like 30mins and check the status messages

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I've gotten SCCM down to completely hands free once I boot from CD. My SCCM server sits on one network, and my clients are on three separate network. On one network we run ISC DHCP, and on the the other two I don't have that much control (all I can do is change the MAC for an IP), so I haven't bothered much with PXE booting. I'm also not sure how I feel about the unknown computer stuff, though it could be useful, but I worry with my users that they'll break it and abuse it somehow.

I've also taken the hard route of importing every driver into SCCM and then creating driver packages, mostly because I didn't know you could do it any other way.

You should be able to set a password on the boot if they do PXE.

ie. When I pxe boot, I have to enter a password to see the availible task sequences. This option I think is settable by right clicking on the boot image and going into the properties.

But as I stated in my previous post. Booting from unknown computers doesn't even work for me for new machines. I'm not sure if it has to do with x64 capable machines pxe booting. I'm using the x32 boot disks on all task sequences.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Noel posted:

I use driver packages as well, and I definitely believe it's the way to go. I overload my OSD Task Sequences with each driver package with a WMI condition.

I feel like it gives me more control and consistency.

I don't do unknown computer. New PCs use thick DVDs, or I pre-seed them in SCCM.

How do you handle renaming PC's after a record has been created in the SCCM database and joined the domain.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I've read that what some people do is import the network and SATA drivers into SCCM so that they can put them into boot images, but the rest they just copy into the sccm drivers folder on the file system, because all SCCM does is copy that folder onto the computer after it dumps the image and says "hey, do any of these infs work for you?"

Took forever to figure out how that worked, because the guy who set this up had all the drivers dump into the root folder, so it was the same as applying all drivers always, which didn't work for well when Win 7 x64 drivers got installed onto 32 bit Win XP.

I only import Ethernet/Storage driver for the boot.

But I create driver packages and point them to the appropriate directory. I never import drivers anymore. Just because sometimes "Auto Apply" simply doesn't "Auto Apply."

Right now I have my directories setup this way:

D:\WIN7X64/HP/2540p/(audio/lan/ethernet/etc.)
D:\WINXPX32/HP/2540p/(audio/lan/ethernet/etc.)

Each driver package pointing to its own directory, I never "Import" it so in Driver Packages -> Package name -> Drivers, there's nothing imported. This is time consuming at the beginning but it saves you a ton of issues down the road. Also, it looks like Windows7 doesn't require you to inject storage drivers via driver package which is a bonus.

H2SO4 posted:

Be careful what you wish for. A fully automated, zero touch install that anyone can boot from the network is just asking for someone to fiddle with their settings, network boot and accidentally nuke their PC.

Actually, just don't advertise the task sequence to "All Systems/All Desktops & Servers" and you should be okay. Also, setup a password on the boot disc. (Will ask during PXE boot, not mandatory advertisements)

Just create a collection, and advertise to the collection. For the machines you want to re-image, just drop them into the collection. Just be careful on making the advertisement mandatory or not.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 7, 2011

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone have suggestions for folder structure on imported Storage and Ethernet drivers?

For the most part, I use driver packages\non imported. But with some older machines, I simply cannot always set the Storage mode to IDE\Compatability so I will have to import.

I really dislike importing due to the fact I can't import doubles. Unless someone knows how this is possible. I would love to hear how you do it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

All our machines are Dell, which makes things a bit easier. I make a folder for the driver name, then a sub folder that is "<dell revision number> <driver version number>" Then when I get a new model I can easily see if I have the driver imported or not.

Is the out of SCCM folder structure the same?

Also, when you use SCCM to "Import" the drivers. Do you need to keep the source folder you imported it form? Or can you delete it as SCCM "Imported" the drivers and if I recall correctly, you set the destination where the Imported drivers are kept.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

The "Source" is structured like this:
Source\(XP3|Win7x64|Win7x32)\Computer Model\(vga|nic|audio|etc)
But what do you do when two different models have the same driver? (ie. ethernet.)

You can't import it again correct? It will error out at the import screen. Do you just ignore this error then? I assume if it errors, you can't add it to the package. You would have to manually go and select the already imported driver.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
- How do you deal with multiple advertisements that need to run in a specific order. (ie. Office 2007 x32 needs to be uninstalled prior to installing Office x64 2010)

- Also in advertisements, is there a way to force a restart first? If a user has outlook opened, I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to update/uninstall.

- Lastly, I haven't tried this yet, but how does SCCM software handle updates? (ie. MSI/exe updates.) Adobe 8 -> Adobe 9. Should you create a advertisements that uninstalls first, or are you good to just run installer

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Noel posted:

In order:

- Use a Task Sequence to create a... sequence of tasks. It is in the OSD part of the console, but can be used outside of OSD. So you would advertise a TS that, if 2007 is installed, uninstalls it, then installs 2010. If 2007 is not installed, it skips the uninstall and goes right to installing 2010.

- Again, use Task Sequences. The first step is a restart (make sure you play with the countdown timers...), then do what else you need.

- SCCM, in my opinion, handles software updates poorly. To answer your question, the delivery method (SCCM or GP Software Installation) does not matter, it depends what the msi/exe you are running does.
As for why I think SCCM is a poor choice for software updates in most environments (I assume we are talking desktops/laptops and not servers) is that it's an uncontrolled environment. GP Software Installation at least happens on startup, so it doesn't matter that Dreamweaver CS4 freaks out that firefox is open when it is installed.
Our users are currently running updates themselves (local admins, yadda yadda), and when we investigated using SCCM to perform the updates we decided it just wasn't going to work, and we're going to use GP Software Installation instead.

Gotcha, was just wondering if there's some super secret that I haven't of noticed or learned yet with SCCM

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there a reason you're going to 2010 x64? Even Microsoft recommends you still use the 32 bit version, unless you're working with enormous files (aka excel spreadsheets bigger than a couple Gb). As for the uninstall/install, there's a few ways you can do that. You can have to packages, one to uninstall 2007, another to install 2010. You can have the 2010 install package run the 2007 uninstall package first. You could also write a script that does the uninstall for you, and then the install. This is probably the best idea, as it allows you a bit more control over what's going to happen (what do you do if you come to a computer that doesn't have 2007?). A task sequence would work, but is kind of ugly, as it advertises to the user as a mandatory operating system deployment, which might freak them out.

You can set a package to only run when the user is logged off, though that requires your users to log themselves off. But when it all comes down to it, it depends on how well the install package works. Firefox and Thunderbird are happy to be installed while the old version is running, they'll just ask the user for a restart if you want to open Firefox again.

And software updates, those are up to the vendor. All SCCM will do is run the program. If installing Adobe 9 on a system with Adobe 8 would remove Adobe 8 normally, then that's what will happen. If that's not the case, the you'll need to manually remove Adobe 8.

Same as Noel, I thought there might be something I might of missed since the SCCM console is super big. Umm for the most part, I only started 2 months ago (at the company and with SCCM.) There was 30 something odd machines already deployed, I'm just following lead. Hell for the most part if it breaks their plugins, perhaps less trouble down the road unless it's them whining\complaining about it not working.

Some things I have yet to really taken advantage or learned in SCCM is software updates, and the dashboard due to OSD across like 20 different hardware configurations

Sorry for filling the thread with tons of questions as SCCM has a huge learning curve I found. But any tricks/tips/cool things you've noticed with SCCM that you would like to share? Or perhaps some mistakes\solutions you've made? For me, drivers was a total clusterfuck, I just spent a poo poo load of hours doing it and doing it wrong everytime till eventually I got a solid understanding of it.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 15, 2011

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Noel posted:

Maybe you can answer a question I've had in the back of my head: if I set an advertisement to run when nobody is logged on, let's say it's a big one, like Photoshop, will it delay the shutdown process to finish installing after logoff? My flock does no log off. I don't think they know what that button is.

Not sure what you mean by delay shutdown but photoshop should run okay with a user logged in. I've pushed out CS5 and visual studio 2010 to users logged in before.

I'm only weary when it comes to upgrade.

What I normally do is tell the users I'll push it out after hours, just log off. I just assign time to like 7pm or something

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I'd like to setup email notifications for when applications have been deployed successfully in SCCM. Anyone do this yet or able to point me in the right direction.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So...

I had my TS advertised to "All Unknown Computers" and "Windows Deployment" (collection I made.)

Users somehow started getting TS available to them... two of them clicked on it and ended up reformatting their machines.

Also, one of my coworkers went to do a mandatory visio 2010 install that ended up on 30 machines as well when it was suppose to be on 3.

I'm guessing this is due to my old counterpart (who was let go.) decided to clone 30 machines that already had a SCCM client installed...

Anyways, I'm hoping just uninstalling the SCCM client with SCCM Client Centre removes completely everything and it will automatically be installed with new IDs\new everything so I never run into this retarded problem again. Please tell me this is the case.

:bang:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

marketingman posted:

lol internet., as frustrating as all that sounds I just have to point out that in these matters, users never "just somehow have the TS available to them".

I might end up proven wrong but SCCM doesn't muck up like that, it's invariably operator error.

I wasn't blaming it on the users... I created a seperate collection and advertised it to it directly to avoid this completely.. as I noticed early on while playing with SCCM if I advertised to All systems\computers it would allow userse to do this.

I'm pretty sure the issue lies within duplicate client information as my predecessor was cloning computers that already had clients installed on them.

The visio issue lies the same. Coworker advertised to a non-dynamic colleciton (3 computers in.) When I looked at the status, the other computers appeared. All these computers are not "Advanced" clients either heh.

Post was kind of just a /rant thats all. In the end, I'm just hoping uninstalling the client, also removes any information tied to SCCM (as if it's never been installed before.)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

However, I'm curious why your OSD TS would ever be run as a non-mandatory advertisement? Why not PXE them, or push a mandatory TS?

I only push mandatory TS to remote machines in other offices since there is no local IT personnel. Since the machines are sitting in the room with us, it's faster to move a record into a collection then update it then PXE boot instead of forcing mandatory and waiting in my experience anyways. (I haven't been doing much re-imaginge, mostly just deploying. I'm also in the process of building the driver packages for everything.) In general I don't like to keep collections with TS advertisements mandatory to them in case someone mistakenly moves a record into it.

Is there a way to PXE them without advertising?

Edit: reply != edit

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 1, 2011

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

What are you planning to use to fix the duplicate problem?

This article seemed useful: http://danielssccmworld.blogspot.com/2010/09/managing-conflicting-records-and.html

Thanks for the link. It put me in the right direction. What sucks about SCCM most is a lot of the information is slightly outdated/broken links.

Anyways, with a bit of reading from link jumping through your link.

I ran a report to verify the duplicated SMS GUIDs. There was like the 30 machines which all had the SMS GUIDs.

I ended up using SCCM client center to force a new SMS GUID. Computer management to restart the SMS Agent. Then again client center to initiate a DDR.

This probably could of all been scripted but for 30 computers would of probably spent similar amount of time doing it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Gonna be setting up the update portion of SCCM to takeover the WSUS roles.

Any recommended reads/articles?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

marketingman posted:

Another thing to consider is if WSUS is working fine, do you *really* need to transfer to SCCM? In my cases it's always been yes because I'm an SCCM whore of the worst kind (I've deployed Linux via SCCM rather than set up Puppet).

Yeahhh.. well I don't have much of a choice. Perhaps it's to take full advantage of SCCM to justify it's purchase... I really don't want to.. but I don't have much of a choice. Perhaps when they see the difference compared to WSUS they might reconsider.

Also, we don't use any other distribution servers in the network. Just one main one and it shoots everything over the VPN. A majority of the other offices are less then 10 users with the exception of one which is ~100.

I also have a couple questions off the top of my head:

- Anyone know how to make to convert bootable ISO -> WIM? I'd like to make a .wim of like a bootable diagnostics disc (ie. seatools/memtest.) and advertise it to all systems so I could always just pxe boot to it.

- How do you know who owns what computer when it comes to deploying software to it? Do you use a separate asset tracking program? (Search for user, see computers assigned to?) or is there something you do through SCCM? I know there is a report which tells last logged on, I've used it a couple times and sometimes it comes up with no results. Some times it does work quite well. (A lot of our users don't move pc to pc.)

- Anyway to get remote assistance working in Windows 7 through SCCM? In my experience it doesn't work for Win7.

Also.. I don't mind with the WSUS/SCCM setup stuff because it's great resume work (for me anyways.)

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 8, 2011

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Nomex posted:

SCCM has remote control capabilities and inventory as well. A lot of people in this thread seem to use SCCM for deployment and package management, but I'd be interested to know how many people are using the software metering/remote control/inventory control features.

I use the remote control tools as much as possible (remote assistance.)

Since I always have the SCCM console open on my machine. If I need to connect to another machine, I just search the machine in the all systems collection -> right click on record -> start -> remote assistance

The end user gets a popup on their machine saying "blah blah whats to help you - yes or no" then afterwards you can chat and request control.

My company also uses teamviewer but to be honest.. for one it's a extra service running and extra money if you're running it on every machine.

I still use teamviewer for remote users.. but I mean if the users in the same building as me but 2 floors down.. it would be a bit nuts for me to tell them to start a teamviewer session and send me the pass/id cause I'm too lazy to get up and walk a couple floors.

But as I mentioned a couple posts ago.. the remote assistance seems to be broken with windows 7. At least I haven't had luck using it.

I also look at reports once in awhile to see who has installed what on their machines. (ie. utorrent, azereus etc.)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

It works fine for me. SCCM R3 and Windows 7 Enterprise. The only downside is it will change their aero theme down to the basic theme until you disconnect.

Ok gotcha. I'm on R2. Did you run into any issues post R3 upgrade?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

No. R3 also gives you power management and reporting. Make sure you have sql reporting setup. I still think there's something wrong with your setup though because Win7 and remote tools worked fine in R2 too.

I looked into this. Apparently in Win7 you need to have the users added into the Remote Assitance Group

Nebulis01 posted:

I could see that, it's pretty basic.

Deploy .msi or .exe, add switches, record success/fail/notneeded, uninstall, record same.

How is this different from SCCM lol?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Nebulis01 posted:

Doesn't do version tracking?
Are you referring to package source version or application versions? If it's package source, just curious why this is important really.

Nomex posted:

If you're just using it for OS deployment then no, it's not worth it. But SCCM is quite a powerful tool if you use all of it. Here's what you can use it for:

Operating system deployment
Application deployment/maintenance
License control
Inventory control
Update control
Version control
Remote administration
Reporting

The reporting is incredibly robust too. You can report on drat near anything in your environment. If WMI or the SCCM client can access an atribute, you can report on it. Need to know how many PCs in your environment have a certain processor type? Or what software is installed? How many licenses of a specific product are in use? Versions? You can look like a star to management with that much information readily available.
How do you use SCCM to manage licenses?

This is totally off topic, but does anyone know how I'll be able to pull part numbers from HP laptops? (Elitebook series.) I'm able to pull model/serial through WMI but having issues with part number. I need this so I can do warranty checks on the whole company inventory.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

TheRife posted:

Holy crap, thank you - when I get SCCM up and running I am going to use this.

lolinternet - does HP have a mass serial/model/product # upload to check serials or are you doing it all manually?

I ran a build in report on SCCM. (Software Serials Report.) for some reason it returned the HP Serials. I just exported it to CSV, cleaned it up a bit and sent the list of Model\Serial to the vendor. He ended up saying it's okay to leave out the product number.

The vendor will talk to the HP rep who will take care of it all and I'll just get a quote back.

My problem basically is we have 225 HP laptops. Some covered with 3 year warranty, 1 year warranty, no accidental damage. What I would like is all laptops to have 3 year warranty + accidental damage from the date of purchase.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

LoKout posted:

It's happened a few times, and I might be able to chalk it up to error - maybe they were thrown into the wrong MW collection at some point, though I haven't seen this happen. I check the MW of the computers through the report and on the client side and they show no windows available. Has anyone seen this behavior with patches? I'm running 2007 R2 SP2.

Check rsop.msc ? Verify its pointing at your SCCM server and that it's not set to "automatically install/automatically download" or any of those Install automatically options.

Just a suggestion.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

LoKout posted:

I'll check that stuff. I inherited the SCCM setup from someone else and never really thought to look at the GPO settings. I think it's all correct, but it won't hurt to verify.

Make sure you run rsop on the machine in question.

In general for me, we didn't have the group policy point at the SCCM server. Just didn't have that policy in effect, and the SCCM client overwritten the field on it's own.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

bear shark posted:

Anybody have experience deploying Adobe Creative Suite? I have it working by specifying --mode=silent to the installer, but is it there a quiet or passive mode that shows the progress bars? It's a little annoying to only have the MDT window up while that's running.

CS5? This spits out a custom installer/msi.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/enterprisedeployment.html

Might work for older versions. I think I used it for InCopy CS4.

Then just msiexec /i installer.msi /qn /norestart

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh, can anyone tell me how I can force laptops to VPN in before they can login to the domain? I'm so confused by the idea, because how does it connect to a wireless network without a user being logged in :psyduck:

Are you using MS PPTP?

If you are using MS PPTP create the VPN account locally then.. you just check off the box "dial up" or something at the login screen. You can then connect to the VPN.

If you are using a seperate client, I think it might need to support it itself.

Did a user unjoin his computer from the domain or something? Or remotely and requires his profile to be created?

Is this Windows 7, just login locally, connect VPN, then alt-ctl-delete switch user and login as the other profile

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone push out SP1 for Windows 7 through OS deployment yet?

Just curious if you made the image /w the OS or created SP1 as a package and installed in the task sequence.

I noticed it took about 30mins to install it manually.. will this be the case if I created it as a package then installed it? I'm too lazy to find out.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I drive a 2 door auto. haha, I guess that would be a fun way to drive up billable hours, running back and forth between offices (one machine per trip, so the uhhh... static electricity doesn't... uhhh.... cross contaminate the uhhh.... short term data stores of each individual machine) but seriously. I can't imagine a small IT company physically handling an equipment move?

In my experience, movers deal with computers/workstations/etc and sysadmins generally move the servers.. just because those servers NEED to be working once at the other site.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
How does one configure PXE booting through multiple subnets? Is everyone using windows dhcp option 67/66 or using a cisco router/switch setting?

I tend to have weird issues. Sometimes PXE works sometimes it does't. The error message I get is something is wrong with /BOOT/BCD

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone have experiencing deploying patches through SCCM?

ie. Adobe reader/flash patches or java.

Is it better to actually use the update component or should I just package each update as an application and deploy that way?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

What do you mean by "update component"?

I looked into updating software with SCCM for things like java, flash, reader, but in the end I'm going back to Group Policy for these. Main reason: I can't control the computing environment sufficiently, especially with laptops.

In the case of laptops, if one is powered on, someone is logged on, and likely has browsers etc open.

If, in your environment, the PCs spend some amount of time on but with no user logged on, using the "nobody logged on" condition would work.

I would love an "at startup" condition in SCCM.

The WSUS portion of SCCM. But essentially then for java/flash reader, what you do is grab the latest MSI and run a msiexec upgrade as the login script or group policy?

If you add the adobe updates in the WSUS portion of SCCM, it can force a reboot I think during the install if required i think.

Right now I'm testing the updates component and basically I set the maintenance window afterhours. The users annoyed during the day every couple hours to either install the updates or his poo poo will get installed in the morning and restarts will happen.

I'd imagine this still works if the user is not connected to SCCM as it should download the updates as a cache.

Although you make a valid point about the @ startup limitation.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

I was completely unaware that you could use the update component for third party software. We decided to stick with WSUS and not tie it into SCCM, as it seemed more flexible in our relatively small environment.

As for upgrading flash/java/reader with SCCM, you are correct, I would create a package+program that runs msiexec. At least for the software just mentioned, they all manage their own upgrades pretty cleanly in my experience, ie: I don't need to uninstall the previous version myself before pushing the new version.

It seems any company that is SCUP compliant.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e3eb0cdf-0215-40bf-bb6c-55e7c3202173

Although, I was poking around the adobe site and I could only find catalog files for reader/flash.. nothing to do with their Adobe CS suite.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
In SCCM is it possible to use both Auto apply drivers and apply driver packages within one task sequence?

Auto Apply drivers doesn't seem to be working for me. There's no DP for imported drivers correct? (non-driver packages.)

I'm use to creating driver packages.. but now I'm trying to import drivers based on some examples I read in the forums.

Under the drivers section, I created folders. ie. Display -> ATI RADEON 57XX Series then imported the drivers.. I'd imagine this is not the reason why it's not working.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

My understanding is that you are correct, imported drivers do not live on the DP. However, from this technet article, it looks like the drivers you want to use in the 'Auto Apply Drivers' step have to be in a driver package, it just doesn't matter which: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680990.aspx

I've personally always been warned to never use auto-apply, but of course never been told why.

:wtf: seriously

Sucks to find this out 6 months into using SCCM.

I think driver packages works better due to keeping everything clean. The reason why I've switched is because there's just too much different hardware configurations existing within the organization.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
SCCM Task Sequence Questions Again!

Following things don't seem to work
I'm probably just doing something wrong. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

1. Installing IIS on Windows 7 x64 via Command line.
Using default options, should I be doing anything else? I know there's a ton of little options here and there.

code:
%systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe /c "START /WAIT DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /norestart /FeatureName:IIS-ApplicationDevelopment /FeatureName:IIS-ASP /FeatureName:IIS-ASPNET /FeatureName:IIS-BasicAuthentication /FeatureName:IIS-CGI /FeatureName:IIS-ClientCertificateMappingAuthentication /FeatureName:IIS-CommonHttpFeatures /FeatureName:IIS-CustomLogging /FeatureName:IIS-DefaultDocument"

2. Invoke a batch script on Windows 7 x64 via Command line.
code:
%systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe /c "C:\TEMP\Oracle\InstallODP.NET4.bat"
Also, anyone know how to setup the batch scripts command line to return a proper error code?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 27, 2011

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

sccm stuff

Just so we're on the same page here.. should the "command line" field be

"psexec.exe -i InstallODP.NET4.bat" for the Oracle ODP

and for the IIS install it should be

"psexec.exe -i DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /norestart /FeatureName:IIS-ApplicationDevelopment"

Or should I put the IIS install into a batch file and execute similar to the InstallODP.NET4.bat file?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

If you post the contents of the batch file I would be happy to take a stab at turning it into a task sequence for you so you can see what I mean.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

There was no installer, just a ton of files with a batch script.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
edit: Nevermind

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 16, 2011

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Question: Do you really need to be a programmer to take advantage\learn powershell?

I've taken introduction courses in programming and I can read source code and kind of have an understand of whats going on, but aside from that, I don't know much about programming.

Just wondering if I should make the effort? I'm interested in automation and do what I can with regular batch scripting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Question about MDT\SCCM Task Sequences\Images.

Is there any reason why we should use task sequences to create\capture images?

In general I just use the task sequence (blank OS install) then have each install application added to the task sequence and customize if necessary through application packages\bash scripts.

Most tutorials I find on line kind of have you do a build & capture type image through task sequence, then deploy the image with a different task sequence.

Am I missing something here? I see the blank OS + application install post imaging more beneficial then just a image.

Ifan posted:

Nope.
I learned programming from working with powershell. I was at the same level as you, could read some code, understand a bit of what was going on etc. I needed to automate/fool proof poo poo at work. Figured out powershell was the way to go, then used a lot of google-fu to get what i wanted.
Half a year later i found myself making/modifying more and more complex poo poo.

Now i can program in "real" languages like C#. Once you have the foundation in place, it's not hard to learn new languages.

Before learning powershell i tried to learn programming many times, and failed. I wasn't motivated enough, and a lot of the stuff out there is written for people who already know the basics.
It wasn't before I had real use for it i actually managed to figure it out. Getting paid for learning it doesn't hurt either ;)

Thanks, I started reading a free pdf called "Mastering Powershell" today.

Do you have any other recommendations?