Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Serfer posted:

Ok, I've been beating myself up a little, and I'm trying to use SCCM to deploy a large piece of software, but we don't have distribution points in every office (lack of disk space at remote locations is what it boils down to). We do however have software shares in every office that contain some of the software I would like to deploy. It's become painstakingly obvious that I can't tell an SCCM program entry to run something from a UNC or drive letter because the system account can't access the share, and I can't really have it run under the user account due to UAC issues. Is there some trick to being able to run software from a share that I'm missing, or is it basically impossible, and I should break down and setup DP's in every office?

Even for big office deployments I just do it from a centralized site all over the world.

Anyways, that was at my last company. If it's UAC causing problems, just create a batch script with the first line that disables uac, second line installs app, third line re-enables UAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

InfiniteDonkey posted:

Have any of you used the thumbnailPhoto attribute in Active Directory to store user photos?

I have mostly had "NEVAR DO IT!" answers when i've been asking Microsoft about it and when I asked them for an alternative, they've been unable to give me one.

We are not a large environment, only one domain and approx. 550 users. So were talking less than 10 megs of data.

If you have exchange 2010 SP1, it adds it automatically (after SP1) is installed. I have a free app that puts the pictures in so the pictures appear in Outlook 2010. I'll let you know the name tomorrow, as it's installed on my work PC. It's pretty lightweight and straightforward. I believe the software developers are a microsoft partner or something.

edit: Here is the software: http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/active-directory-photos/

quackquackquack posted:

At the end of our deployment process (MDT), I want to expire the local Administrator account's password.

If you're curious about the reasoning, in MDT the local Administrator account is set to autolog while it runs the Task Sequence (unlike SCCM, which uses the SYSTEM account). This means you have to either specify the Administrator password in the customsettings.ini file, or type it in when running the Task Sequence.

I'm trying a simple vbscript, but not having any l luck:
code:
strComputer = "computer1"
Set objUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & strComputer & "/Administrator")
objUser.PasswordExpired = 1
objUser.SetInfo
If I echo PasswordExpired before and after setting it, it correctly says "0" and "1", respectively. But running the script a second time gives the same result (nor is the password expired), so it's obviously not working.

I'm a real novice when it comes to vbscript, but all the various sites I looked at seemed to agree this was the code to do it.

Win7-64.

Try executing a net user command with the expire switch to last year.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es-xl;251394&sd=tech

edit: I will not double reply again.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 31, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

jlboan posted:

Yesterday I deployed some software with SCCM 2012. I used the “Applications” section instead of packages, and deployed a custom built msi file. The software installed fine on the clients and is up and running, but in SCCM it still shows all of the machines in the “In Progress” stage with “No additional information” listed in the asset details on each machine. I’ve run the summarization a few times, rebooted the clients, and used SCCM client center to force software inventories, but its still just stuck In Progress. Is this just my crappy MSI not reporting that it’s done, or is there something else to it?

Try another MSI of a small program to test. (7zip?) Sounds like perhaps the MSI is erroring out and half installing?

What are you using as the command? "msiexec.exe /i /qn installer.msi" ?

Also, try running the command on a local machine from the command prompt with the /l (log) switch. Have a look at logs after the msi is installed, it should tell you if it completed successfully or not.

I've never used SCCM 2012 but I'd imagine Applications and Packages in general are no different in terms of deployment really. Applicaiton is just more specific, whereas packages can have multiple applications. (If you deploy from packages, you'll be asked to select a application)

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 31, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Bit off topic, is there a IRC channel for SA? It use to be ZIRC but I think zirc is now down?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
edit: nevermind.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 17, 2013

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

SopWATh posted:

I can't find much good info on what I need to change in the Java .msi

..Did you try
code:
msiexec /i "javafile.msi" /qn /norestart

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Started a new job last week, first thing is to re-implement SCCM 2012.

Just curious, how much has the software updating portion change from 2007? When I setup and tested in 2007, we concluded at the time, there was too much administrative overhead and just stuck with WSUS since there was a set and forget option. I heard this is the case for 2012 as well.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
SCCM2012 question here. I got a pretty basic SCCM 2012 (non r2) setup. 1 Server, with all roles.

I've worked with SCCM 2007 in the past. I noticed in 2012, any OSD task sequences need to have the option "Copy contents to distribution point" in order to actually work. (When deploying the task sequence, it gives you the option to "Access Content Directly")

1. Does this mean for regular application deployment to existing clients, that doesn't have to be checked off to deploy?

2. I've installed cumulative updates 1, 2 and 3 for SCCM 2012. When pushing out the SCCM client updates, can I just push out CU3? Or do I need to go CU1 > CU2 > CU3

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 12, 2013

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone ever been audited before? What's the outcome normally?

My company is getting audited. Missing a lot of licenses it looks like.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Heh, pretty much a new IT team. The last team bought licenses for SCOM and installed SCCM. This shouldn't be too bad then.

Now I get to play with SCOM.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 19, 2013

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

GreenNight posted:

It can track installations but not licensing per say. Through SCCM we found out a poo poo ton of people connected their email to phones and since we pay per device CALs and not per user CALs we're on the hook for about another 150 CALs or so.

Wait. 150 Cals for SCCM? or CALS for exchange? Not following you on this.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Oh yay, someone I can talk SCCM 2012 R2 with. I just spent the last month setting up SCCM at my new company. I've setup 2007 in the past. I thought the Update component would be better, but at the end of the day, it still sucks. A bit more manageable but still overhead as software update groups handles max 1000 updates.

Some quick questions I'll dump in the event you might have an answer to:

1. I'm re-imaging a machine. When it gets re-imaged it comes back with the same name as previously. This would be fine if it didn't start installing apps that might be in collections which have mandatory advertisements to them. Any idea? My 2007 setup always just created a new record with a MININT-* hostname, which I was totally fine with.

2. If you set policies via collections\SCCM agent (ie. power management) users are now able to override those changes?

3. Have you successfully got WOL working? How did you go about enabling WOL on the workstations?

4. Are you Apply all updates for OSD? I'm trying to do a build and capture while applying all updates, but it says download 140 updates, then just ends that task. (I know, I should probably look at the logs, but just got the issue when I was leaving for the day.)

edit: Non SCCM, but what the gently caress, citrix is so lame and overprice. Can anyone tell me why people still use it? Sure it's super secure, but there's tons of alternatives. We have it in a company of 75 people. Maintenace\Software Assurance for it is like 10,000\year almost. That is absolutely insane when you compare it to other possible alternatives.

The whole token poo poo is lame, and pretty annoying. Half the time I forget to bring the token with me.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 14, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Number19 posted:

3. This is also something I've wanted to get working. I'm tired of going around and chasing down computers for people who are on vacation to turn them in and let updates install.

I just ended up deploying a WOL script that activated the option today. I tested and it works in sleep mode, I actually haven't it with the computer in shutdown mode(I think that is based on a bios setting though? iAMT?)

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm not sure why you would want the computer to get a MINIT when you could let it have its actual name.

Fun fact, set your install collection to have the OSDComputerName variable. When you run the task sequence it will prompt you for a value for that variable, and then assign the computer that name.

Our naming convention is first letter first name + last name (I know not the best.) So yeah.. most likely when I'm re-imaging it will be renamed, and as I mentioned if it takes on the old name, and the computer is in a mandatory deployment, it will just reinstall all the stuff again once the computer is imaged. I know you could have that popup for OSDcomputername at re-build but I wanted to keep that at zero touch but perhaps that's my only option.

I'd prefer to change the name post-image as I need to login to the machine anyways to create the new profile for the user.

edit: Also did not know about offline update service. *Should probably read the SCCM 2012 release notes at one point.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 15, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
SCCM 2012 question.

When creating an application and setting up file detection. Does anyone else have an issue with SCCM not detecting system variables? ie. %PROGRAMFILES(x86)% ?

I setup a detection for Adobe Acrobat for instance

Folder - %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Adobe\Acrobat 10
File - Acrobat.exe

but it still fails? The example is not the exact path, but pretty sure I got it 100% correct.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Calodram posted:

Try using just %ProgramFiles% and checking the box below it for 'This file or folder is associated with a 32-bit application on 64-bit systems'. That makes it choose the proper variable automatically depending on the system that the detection is running on.

I guess that makes sense, but the wizard\console was the one that automatically made it %programfiles(x86)%. I did actually test it with checking that off.

I setup SCCM with ALL packages, now stuck converting them to Applications and testing again and re-testing OSD.

When I started at my current place, I asked one of my old coworkers what's the difference between Applications and Packages as I only had sccm 2007 experience, he basically told me use packages because Applications took .msi only. :fuckoff:

Then I only found out last week you could use .exe and now I want to setup the app catalog for deployments.

kiwid posted:

And now I get this exact issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2752119/en-us

loving bullshit.

So it looks like I need to setup a Windows 8 KMS host or something.

edit: so just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, I can buy a Server 2012 KMS key and activate it on a 2008 R2 machine, correct? I don't really want to setup a Windows 8 box to be the kms host.

No you don't buy KMS keys. What you do buy though is 5 keys through a vendor, and then you'll get registered with microsoft VLC (if you havent already)

When you login to VLSC, goto windows 8, you'll see KMS keys (probably 5) and MAK keys (Prob 50+).

Here's how you setup KMS
- You install that hotfix or whatever which allows your 2008 box to host KMS keys (They actually have this for Office as well if you want to activate office against a KMS server)
- You install your KMS server key (this is off the VLSC website) Look at the readme\install guide where you got the hotfix as it will tell you how to install the KMS key
- You should already have a ton of windows 8 boxes in your environment that have MAK (from VLSC, activates against the internet) or OEM product keys (poo poo that came with the manufacturer license)
- You need to convert these OEM\MAK keys to KMS client keys (download VAMP 2.0 or 3.0, I've only used 2.0 as you can install it as a mmc snap in 3.0 is a dedicated solution which runs SQL express and stores your information)

Ok now that your KMS key is installed and your box is a "KMS Server.." not really..still one more thing to do

I am not sure with windows 8 but windows 7 had this limitation\rule before it became a fully fledge kms server. You will need to look this up for win8 but for windows 7, basically you needed to convert 25 windows 7 boxes from MAK\OEM keys to KMS client keys within 30 days? Then everything will be fine and dandy. For Server 2008, you needed 5 machines converted to KMS client keys, then your KMS server will accept 2008 activations.

KMS server = computers in your domain activate against that server, not microsofts internet activation server. When you format and install windows, you don't enter in a key, the OS knows to check the local network for a KMS server. The computer would check-in every 20 days or some crap, to tell the KMS server, HEY IM alive so count me as a active license, computers that don't check in past that day, KMS server assumes the computer is formatted\dead\stolen and it drops the license count.

So for notebooks, in generally you want to either continue using the OEM or MAK keys because sometimes those can be off the network past 20 days, if they are their computers will say they are not licensed, enter in a license key.

** the 20 day threshhold I made up, i can't recall exactly, but it's roughly 20 days for windows 7. I think you can probably change this.

** 25 computers was a requirement for a KMS server to fully accept windows 7 activations. I am not sure what this is with Windows 8, but it's probably the same. Research that first

** I've only used VAMP 2.0 (volume activation management tool) this allows you to connect to the machiens in your network to convert them from MAK\OEM to KMS Client keys. It is also client side, the data stays with the machine it's installed on. 3.0 is server side and stores the data on whichever server you installed it on.)

** So now budgeting month for next year is coming up. Your boss says, hey neckbeard, we only paid for 20 win8 licenses, can you tell me how much win8 machines are actually setup? You use VAMP to scan the network and check, or there's a command you can enter in command prompt on the KMS host and it tells you how much computers are active\activated. So if it spits out you have 40 active licenses, you tell your boss budget to at least buy 20 extra licenses for windows8 next year.

** You might as well make the KMS server host office\windows7 KMS activations if you have those in your environment as well.

And as a couple people already mentioned, it's actually pretty straightforward, and doesn't require much setting up or maintenance afterwards. Just throw up a test VM, and mess around. Download VAMP 2.0 and learn how to convert keys on a machine with the snap in. (it's easy, add computer, right click update with credentials, right click install KMS key, right click activate)

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 22, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Any of you large enterprise guys, how do you handle AD Delegation? We have an absurd (50+)number of people in domain admins and one of my main goals this year is to get that number down to around 5 or so. I've grabbed a couple of large docs from Microsoft on AD Delegation and Security and a found a couple of blog posts to start, but really this seems like a how do you eat an elephant thing.

If you have money to waste, I'd suggest quest active roles. It sounds like you're at a pretty big organization. It's hard to stay consistent as one admin will do something different from the next and also would be a bit harder to track down if someone does something they shouldn't or doesn't admit to a mistake they might of made.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Couple SCCM 2012 R2 questions:

1. For applications, is there anyway to actually change the "application size" after it's created? In the appcatalog, everything's now reporting as 1MB heh. Having a hard time finding that field.

2. I have a vbscript that enables wake-on lan, what would be the best way to detect that? I'm thinking have the vbscript create a text file, and the detect rule would be that. Just curious if there's a better way to approach this scenario.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

WDS just a service that allows you to PXE boot, MDT actually allows you to deploy a OS. It builds a bootable disc which connects to the MDT server to finish the rest of the deployment.

You take that boot disc and pass it off to WDS.

WDS gets a PXE request, and it throws that bootable MDT disc at that machine who is trying to boot off LAN

Also in regards to Caged's comment... The ideal MDT setup in my opinion would be..

1. You hit F12 on a computer to PXE boot off lan
2. MDT boot environment loads (WDS passes the boot enviroment to the computer PXE booting.)
3. WIzard starts, it asks you what the hostname is
4. Asks you what OS you want to install (ie. Win7, Server 2008 etc.)
5. Asks you what APPS you want to install (just check off whichever apps, you can group apps. ie a checkbox has "base install" and if you check that off, it installs office and skype)
6. MDT formats drive and installs blank OS that has nothing on it (aka install.wim)
7. MDT scans the computer, applies nescessary drivers (from a driver database where you import the drivers previously)
7. MDT then installs each application one bay one
8. Computer deployment done

There's way to hack it together to be fully automated, but SCCM is the actually fully automated approach. To be honest, there's not that much user involvement with MDT when booting, it takes less then 2mins.

Pros of this setup, is in the long run, it will save you time from maintaining multiple images and adding\removing different softwares to the deployment.

Cons is it will be time consuming at the beginning, and you need to learn a bit about scripted\silent installs

edit: Oh to answer your actual question. I never even heard of the WDS + ADK option. WDS is pretty easy to setup.. there's almost no configuring. You just add the role.

GreenNight posted:

SCCM is a beast as you can see with all the SCCM questions that aren't getting answered.

Seems like it. I have 2 years under my belt for 2007, new to 2012 but yeah just mind boggling. I also actually have a couple more which I now have forgotten.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 30, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Also this isn't actually a con, because "built the entire imaging infrastructure and process from the ground up for X number of workstations. Saved the company Y man hours and $Z a month." is a great resume bullet point :v:

edit: quoted wrong thing at first

Possible con, depends on how the person views it of course. I've done it about 5 times on SCCM/MDT so.. I don't even bother with the saving man hours on my resume.

Anyways, remembered my other SCCM question. For application packages, is there anyway to access the content directly when deploying the application to a machine? Default SCCM client cache size is 5gb which causes problems for CS5.5 design suite (7GB) and Autocad design build (30gb.)

You can change the cache size manually, but it's not a realistic option for Autocad.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

To be honest, 2007 for me was a gong show when it came to drivers. No matter what you do, it will never be organized properly. I just ended up dropping everything into one directory and imported it. Added to a package called All Drivers and auto-apply drivers worked fine for me. I don't see the point of total control due to the duplicate issues as SCCM doesn't let you import duplicates. It will never be perfect.

In 2012, driver management is a lot more better as you can create folders in the SCCM console under the drivers section and have duplicate drivers in the database. :smuggo:

edit: if you want to cut down on size, best bet would to use auto-apply drivers. Rebuild your driver by importing drivers one by one and importing only missing drivers on the next machine. ie. Import drivers from machine 1 and test. Test machine 2, see which drivers are missing and import those drivers. (Perhaps drivers from machine 1, also cover machine 2.) I went doing it this way.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 2, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

zapateria posted:

Lenovo has "SCCM packages" of drivers for most of their models, which is a nice thought. Except they have a bunch of "gotcha"s where you have to install one driver before the other etc. And the touchpad driver made OSD crash.

I've personally never ran into these drivers issues (HP\Lenovo\Custom built PCs) which I always hear people have and I've always used auto-apply in both 2007/2012. I don't bother downloading driver packs from the manufacturer website. When you get a new laptop from Dell\HP\Lenovo, there's the driver database on C:\SWSHARE which I just import. Yeah there's probably some outdated drivers, but meh.

On the side note since I'm replying. Has anyone found out any advantages\real life implementation examples of OSD\VHD? and App V in SCCM 2012 R2? and I finally got a deployment strategy for software updates :dance:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Swink posted:

We're planning to deploy the Chrome msi at our site because we love our users and want them to be happy.

I'm having trouble figuring out the Chrome master_preferences file as expained here - http://www.chromium.org/administrators/configuring-other-preferences

I'm using GPO to push out the installer. Where exactly do I place the preferences file to have it picked up by the installer?

From my understanding..

- Install Chrome on a "test" system through the .msi installer not the chrome setup.exe
- Configure Chrome the way you want on that test system
- Locate the master file here " C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\master_preferences"
- Open it in notepad, double check it and make any nescessary changes
- Create a new folder, drop the master_preferences file and chrome.msi in there
- Setup GPO to deploy the msi (msiexec.exe /i chrome.msi /qn /norestart)

And that should be it? Chrome should of detected the master_preferences file in the same directory as the installer and use that when installing it on the system.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

dotalchemy posted:

You could cut down on the Windows install by running a Core installation, so no GUI, then just managing all the printers via the Print Management MMC. The only issue you'll run into is unsigned drivers, but you can get around that by starting the printer management .cpl from the cmd prompt on the Core RDP session.

What really is the benefit of running a core server? Just less poo poo so no random admins can go install stupid poo poo like adobe reader on the server?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

vmxnet3 is much better than E1000 though, solved some issues we were having like excess CPU overheard. vmxnet3 does need tools installed first though.

vvvv Good point, I misunderstood.
I used drivergrabber on XP to get VMXNET3 drivers then imported into the database.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Totally depends on experience, company size, and whereever the hell this "tri-state" area is. I'm in Vancouver BC and you wouldn't get NEARLY that much here.

I got my initial SCCM experience there, and they were paying me 45k/year. This was not just administration, I set it up from scratch and scaled it across multiple remote offices. Obviously didn't stick around their that long because I knew I was getting the shaft.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 8, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

dotalchemy posted:

What else were you doing though? If you were purely responsible for implementing and looking after an SCCM deployment, then I'd say that's not an unreasonable salary. If you had other duties and responsibilities, then yeah, that's kinda poor, but if I were in the market for an SCCM administrator who would only run and develop SCCM, I'd probably be offering around the same (SoCal here).

I was doing Tier 1/2 support and sysadmin stuff + on call with almost no compensation (1 week = 1 day off)

The initial IT folk ghosted computers instead of OSD. Those computers happen to have the SCCM client installed.. so.. started having a ton of conflicts which pushing out software or doing a mandatory OS deployment.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
If I'm talking with the user. I just say don't lock your computer give me a call before you head for lunch, meeting etc.. I then remote in with remote control via SCCM.

The other alternative of course I say I'll either need your password or I'll need to reset your password. It's annoying to reset their password though when they have their activesync phones tied to the account. Just more administrative overhead.

I get why people should never give out their password, but to be honest if the password isn't over 12 or more characters, it's already not safe as most hackers/crackers have rainbow tables with the hashes already pre-calculated.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We have a standing policy for users to give their password to IT as requested, per the CEO.

Well if that's the case, then yeah just reset the password, no way around it. It all comes down to the company culture and mandate. I tend to notice the bigger the company is the more strict their are.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Is anyone updating servers through SCCM?

Just curious what your strategy is? I assume you're not allowing them to restart automatically. Time is afterhours?

Have you experienced any disruption in services when the updates have installed? How often do you update/restart?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
GPO Question,

No options to configure IE 9/10/11 settings here: User Config > Preferences > Control Panel > Internet Settings

All workstations are Windows 7, PDC is 2008 R2

Should I be installing this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36991 on the PDC??

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone work with Xenapp 7.0/7.5?

Just curious if authentication tokens will work with the storefront?

I'm actually not too familiar with XenApp but we're on 6.X and we're looking to upgrade to 7.5. From what I understand, the "web interface" on 6.x is being replaced by a less capable but html5 Storefront/7.x web interface?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

gooby pls posted:

Not a SCCM guy but I'm wondering if this is possible.

We currently use SCCM to deploy images and do our software installs. Management wants to outsource desktop imaging to our local supplier. Have them do bare metal installs from their office and bring them on site for deployment ready to go.

Would standalone media be the best way to go? Or some crazy half assed Distribution Point/VPN tunnel headache that management is envisioning?

By local supply if you mean vendor before they ship you new purchased laptops.. they require a .wim file. I don't think they'll setup a huge VPN tunnel.

To be honest it will just be more overhead when you need to update. At one of my other places we had distribution points on our DC (yeah i know.) and we used Riverbed to cache the image\software. Riverbed allowed us to have one VM which was the DC. That was in the remote offices to allow local authentication. We just threw on the DP\PXE service and used the admin assistance\secretarys and made them PXE boot or we did mandatory OSD re-install.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
SCCM Question:

For App catalog requests\approval. Once I approve, the software doesn't seem to automatically install on the clients computer. There is no deployment status messages (pending/successful/fail) but it does appear in the clients software center.

Any ideas? The software in the app catalog that doesn't require approval installs fine.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Moey posted:

I remember this being advised in the past, but I have never used it. May be overkill for a domain this size though. Who knows.

http://www.forensit.com/domain-migration.html

I used this for a domain migration. Went actually well in terms of transferring their old domain profile to the new domain (all settings in tact.) The user actually doesn't notice any change on his\her computer.

GreenNight posted:

We used a sort of pricy Quest tool to do our domain migration. Migrated all the workstations and profiles too.

We used quest to migrate & sync the mailboxes.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Demie posted:

If you're focused on OS deployment, use MDT. SCCM just isn't worth the effort for 75 users, especially if it's being done by one guy who wears other hats. Even if you're looking at its other features, it's just way too much overhead. If you also want stuff like app deployment, I'd look into App-V or some 3rd-party alterntives.

Heh. We got SCCM/Citrix for a 85person company. Yeah ovekrill. But to be honest, when you'r stuck doing helpdesk stuff as well. It beats getting up and going to install stuff manually.

And PSEXEC or some other push alternative is just a hack.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Jadus posted:

We've been using ServiceDesk since April and really love it.

Hmmm at my old place.. perhaps it was the guy who set it up did a poo poo job but all I can say is the support in my experience is horrible. It's literally straight to India.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Trying to block user GPO in one OU. (XenApp Servers)

This possible at all? Block Inheritance on the OU seems to only block the computer policies and not the users. (ie. deployed printers)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

hihifellow posted:

User GPOs are applied on the user object, not the computer object, so unless the user object is in the xenapp OU the blocked inheritance doesn't apply. Set a policy on the xenapp servers OU that enables loopback processing and then set the mode to Replace, it will prevent user policies from being applied.

Thanks, that did it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Sacred Cow posted:

Has anyone ever used MS App-V with SCCM 12? My company just signed a new EA and we discovered MDOP is included so we want to get the most out of our license.
We're looking to control our limited licensed software like Project, Visio and Adobe Pro by granting and removing access to the virtual app on a as needed basis. It seems like this is the right tool but looking at the documentation makes it seem like it can be a beast to deploy and manage.

Getting MDOP was timed perfectly too. My boss recently tasked me with encrypting all our laptops with BitLocker and now I have an MBAM license :)

Lucky you, I was stuck using WinMagic SecureDoc with Win7 Professional licenses :(

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Ran into an interesting setup today. Imagine a bunch of folders on a file share:

Marketing
Accounting
HR

Instead of users being in an AD group named 'Marketing', and then having permissions assigned to the Marketing folder to the 'Marketing' AD group, there's a 'MarketingShareRead' and 'MarketingShareWrite' group with people in it, and then those groups are given permissions to that folder.

Also do a similar setup for Shitpoint.

Marketing Contribute Users/Marketing Read Only Users/Marketing Designer Users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone using Sharepoint Mysite? I'm just curious how I can access a users mysite documents and assign permissions. Lately I've been just doing it manually from their account but it's starting to become a hassel.