Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Start one? I'm sure people will pitch in. I'm about to start having to add Macs to AD and I know I'd find it interesting as well as contribute as I learn more about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can, but it's a bit poo poo:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22243

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

^ I'm in the same position, I've migrated people to Google Apps and find the web interfaces more than adequate (the search kicks the poo poo out of Outlook, unsurprisingly). However there are a couple of people who expect Google Apps to be Exchange, except made by Google, and can't grasp the concept that not every feature in Outlook works the same as it used to, or is available.

There's also the ones plain scared of web apps. Is there a desktop client for Google Apps that works better than Outlook, or am I better off just pushing out the standlone Apps package (basically just shortcuts to Chrome that load the Gmail, Calendar etc pages without any other browser UI elements) and hoping people get the hint?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AppLocker to stop Dropbox being used, or just exclude Dropbox from the roaming profile. Doesn't stop someone setting their Documents folder as the Dropbox one I suppose, it's a tough nut to crack.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Prevent it from roaming, then have a GPO applied to lab PCs to block it with AppLocker?

That's the best you can do I think.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can remote wipe through your ActiveSync console. It's a dick move but it's an option if she gets fired and refuses to remove the account while you can see to make sure the emails are gone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have a few Windows servers running across multiple VLANs (print server, VoIP etc), and because of this they have multiple IP addresses as you'd expect. However, the DNS server is replying with all these IP addresses when I query it, so one of them will be the IP that is on the same address range as my client, and the other two will be the IP addresses that the box has on the other VLANs. Is this 'legal' in DNS terms? I thought you were only meant to return addresses that were actually reachable.

I ask because I think it's causing some issues with some older software that go away when it's set up to use the IP address. Is there a misconfiguration somewhere or is the software to blame for handling DNS responses wrong?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks, it sort of confirms what I thought. I'll get the network guys to look at routing between VLANs and then tell my boss to stop breaking stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You should definitely be able to add 32-bit drivers to a 64-bit server, but it's in a different part of the printer properties to the driver that the server is using. I want to say its on the sharing tab somewhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm looking at ManageEngine at the moment to allow certain staff members to create / reset passwords / disable user accounts in a very specific OU (basically volunteers that they are responsible for). It seems to tick all the boxes for a reasonable price.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Try and get rid of XP if you can. The stuff in Vista onwards from a Group Policy perspective is like night and day compared to XP. No more scripting for every tiny little thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

peak debt posted:

Switch off offline files on both PCs it's likely you are viewing the cache on one of them.

If it turns out that you are viewing an offline cache then try and fix the reason why it's pointing at the cache instead of the live share. Offline files is too useful to turn off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a way to pick the adapter/IP address that the RD Gateway binds to?

Edit: In Server 2008 R2

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our door system is done by Paxton. It's network based and has APIs. Whenever someone mentions doing something with it I'm thankful that we don't have to deal with the 90% of door entry systems that aren't like this.

I'm also amazed that we managed to accidentally purchase something good.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure I'd backup workstations on the LAN, if the policy says save your important poo poo here and people don't then there's not a lot you can do about that - you can't go around making everything IT's problem to solve.

For laptops however, gently caress roaming profiles/folder redirection so hard. I've been bitten so many times with it just not working. CrashPlan Enterprise back to your own servers. Hopefully Windows 8.1 with Work Folders should solve this one at last, but I can't be so sure the rest of the OS will be usable in any way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd recommend a VPN endpoint built into the router you drop at each location, split tunnel it so only the traffic that needs to travel back to the head office does, and possibly drop a NAS at some locations for stuff like profile storage if you think it's necessary.

The Meraki access points do this pretty much by themselves, and then you have the advantage of decent wifi at each location if you need it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before so apologies if I have, I really need to get around to buying search one day.

I have a user on a laptop, in a Roaming Profiles and Redirected Folders / Offline Files environment. Whenever this user logs on away from the network they get an error about their profile being unavailable, and a message about not being able to display the desktop with the path set to the UNC path of the server location that it usually lives on. What's up with this? I thought it was supposed to gracefully fail over to the Offline Cache? Is this just a rare situation where a flatten and reinstall will clear it up? I've already cleared the Offline Cache and the laptop's been connected to the network more than long enough for the cache to build itself again.

Unfortunately it's a pretty small organisation so there are no other regular laptop users. I can get access to the event logs if necessary but I need to wait for this guy to be back in the office or on the VPN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I found with Spiceworks that it's great for 15 minutes of poking around and going "wow, this is all free" and then after that the total lack of customisability, the speed it runs at, and the constant suggestions from the Spiceworks community get really really annoying really really fast. And then to remove the adverts to not look like a bunch of cheapskates doesn't get you the space they were taking back, you just end up with a page that resembles something Adblock would create.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress, I solved this one a month ago. It's related to the share not being on the C:\ drive and a GPO needing to be set. Give me a minute.

Try this if you're on VMware, it's not what fixed it for me but I didn't see this article at the time: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...s-network-share

And this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2811670

Some background: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/07/03/how-to-fix-windows-server-2012-shared-folder-inaccessible-on-a-vm.aspx

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 20, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Let's say I have Bob in the Accounting OU, and Dave in the Sales OU. I need to map a share to both Bob and Dave, but not anyone else in Sales or Accounting. What's the best way to do that, apply a drive share mapping GPO to both groups and filter out anyone who isn't Bob and Dave?

Is this a permissions thing? If users don't have permissions to a drive map target, the mapping won't appear, so you don't have to worry about drive maps appearing for things people don't have access to.

I'd just put it in your users OU and only give the security group that those two users are a part of access to it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hate that there are so many different ways to solve this relatively simple issue. But yeah, security filtering would be a better option since it doesn't involve the filtering being hidden away in a properties tab to reduce head-scratching later.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In my experience, yes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I should have looked into this more when I decomissioned a 2008 DC (SBS2008) in favour of a 2008 R2 one, but my memory is a bit hazy of the situation. If I remember correctly I demoted the old DC (after bringing the new one up and checking DNS replication, transferring FSMO roles etc). When the old DC had disappeared the next logon that happened on the client had %logonserver% set to the new one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are these machines virtualised? Have you made sure to turn off time synchronisation between the VM host and the guests?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like a thing that would only be necessary if you had ancient switches or damaged cabling.

I've no idea how dicking with link speeds helps remote connections.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Swink posted:

CAn someone describe a scenario where I would use RemoteApp or RemoteApp via Web Gateway.

Currently we have remote users log into a full Remote Desktop session where they have access to all our applications. For what reason would I need to deliver a single specific application?

(I have a feeling RemoteApp solves a problem that my company doesn't have, but i'm interested in it)

A not poo poo version of Outlook for Mac users without having to gently caress around with a full desktop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't forget to add a record for www if required.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is Forefront or whatever it's called now still essentially free if you have the right sort of Volume License and System Center?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You don't need to copy anything manually, you can have the policy copy the current contents onto the network when it's first applied.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What is the OS?

Whoops, 2012, missed that. Is BackupAssist in your price range?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A small business that I help out has a couple of Synology DS1512+ boxes, one as live file storage and the other as a backup target. BackupAssist plays well enough with them for me to be happy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I looked at SCSM and was instantly intimidated. I guess it's aimed at shops that are very up on ITIL, have strict SLAs to adhere to, do recharging of resources etc. It integrates with Operations Manager / Orchestrator so you can do stuff like automatically open tickets when services die, close them when they come back up or escalate if the thing's still down after a couple of minutes.

The UI looks like a cluttered mess and resembles the bad old days of Remedy etc. But it can capture a huge amount of information.

I'm sure it has its uses but it just isn't the lightweight, aesthetically well desiged, fast ticketing system that I would want to use.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arishtat posted:

Oxygen Cloud was dropped because the cost per user was well above what we were willing to pay.

Also their website is beyond terrible

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd be better off creating different sites in AD and having them sync over a VPN until your link can go in, if you create a new domain with the same name as your existing one then as far as I know you won't be able to trust them or join them together in any way.

If there really is no overlap between the two sites then you could go down this route but you'd have to call the domains different names and set up a two way trust.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh right, sorry I assumed you were doing a PtP link and could VPN as a workaround. I wouldn't go to separate domains unless you have a really good reason to - defining sites based on subnet works very well and is sort of what it was created for.

I'm assuming you're going to have some sort of internet connectivity at site B for it to be useful so you could probably put something together in software / a VM appliance if the hardware is getting delayed to keep things on track.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't you need a KMS master key to be able to activate them? Or do you?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have control over the web server hosting the application then you can send an HTTP header that turns on compatibility mode.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj676913(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All I've heard about renaming a domain is not to do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Think of WDS as the service that handles the actual deployment - network booting, pushing the images out etc. MDT is a nice way of interfacing with WDS in terms of driver packaging, and ties it in with System Center if that's your bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You don't have to bother with an image if you don't want to - you can pull the install.wim straight off the OS media and then deploy software in SCCM if you want. It's a trade off between speed of imaging and flexibility.

But you are right, you don't need to make an image per system type any more, just have the drivers for each system on your server and it will use them.