Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does WS_FTP Server fit the bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AFAIK you can't selectively loopback process a single GPO, so just be aware that turning loopback processing on turns it on for all the user objects in the OU that you are using it on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can fix it even more by not running ancient printers that rely on unsigned drivers, it's a really quick way to gently caress your print server up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The art of sabotage whilst looking like a plausible failure is a good skill to possess in those situations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That was our cue to remove every personal USB printer from people's desks and throw them into the compactor.

"Sorry, you can't keep this, it won't work with Windows 7. Best walk a few feet to the large copier."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think he was advocating leaving it as E1000, but it's useful to see where the issue lies.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do I have to do anything special in Server 2008R2 to get it serving DHCP over ip-helper? I'm tearing my hair out here, if I put some lovely little freeware DHCP server on a spare laptop and point ip-helper at it then it serves addresses without fail. I can't get it working in Windows Server - everything I've read says just add the scopes and it will work.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 8, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dotalchemy posted:

Meraki, from a wireless infrastructure / AP point of view, came up this morning as an alternative to Aruba - does anyone have any experience with Meraki from a wi-fi perspective? Reviews show them to be pretty poo poo hot, and priced competitively, with Aruba...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460935

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ubiquiti and Meraki are in different leagues, they really can't be compared. They are great - for what they cost, but the feature set doesn't come close.

Part of the appeal of going with Meraki is you can combine MDM, switching, wireless and routing into one management policy. Makes it super easy to set traffic management policies up, and do things like require MDM before the network can be accessed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For Windows:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831424.aspx

and Office:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj715259(v=office.15).aspx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Netbios names and the actual domain don't have to be the same.

You can also use UPN suffixes so everyone logs in with their email address as the username.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't think of a reason not to run DHCP and DNS on Windows servers if you're going to build an AD environment. 2012 does proper HA DHCP, handles dynamic updates etc. If you set it up properly it's very solid and has all the features you're likely to need.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Egnyte?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could bodge something with a file share (or Synology NAS or equivalent) syncing with a Dropbox / Google Drive account. But that will have you tearing your hair out quite quickly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a shortened version of "eat your own dog food"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've always gotten away with just updating the redirection GPO and letting the move happen by itself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How are those emails getting into Spiceworks? Is it monitoring a mailbox, is it using a custom email address that's the member of a DL?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm struggling to get a straight answer from a ton of Googling, but is it possible to convert distribution groups into security groups in Office 365?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 29, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

kiwid posted:

I emailed our Dell rep about this, he just replied:

I just got a Premier account activated today, so...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apologies if you've seen this, but does it answer some of your questions?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/volume-licensing/archive/2013/10/10/licensing-how-to-using-office-365-user-licenses-to-meet-cal-requirements.aspx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MaaS360 has served us well. I think Casper has a cloud offering now, but that's more for managing stuff if you're an Apple company, as opposed to managing all mobile devices.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I worked for a guy who used to call servers really stupid names "for security purposes", and then not document anywhere that the RADIUS server called "piginshit" was also an MSSQL box. The idea that people would just port scan a range to see what services were running on the machine was totally lost on him.

When I finally :yotj: he was busy spacing out the IP ranges for the 5 or 6 VLANs that we ran internally because he was convinced that the packets would get confused somehow if 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x were both in use.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MaaS360 can email out a URL that just straight up enrols the device if you want (the end user will still have to accept the enrolment). I think it can do it via SMS message as well if email isn't setup on the things.

I'd assume pretty much every other MDM can do the same. They are all identical in terms of features to a point because they all rely on the API hooks in the underlying OS. Some MDM systems will advertise extra features which comes from the installation of an agent app, but there is no real way to ensure that app is installed, other than by threatening to remote wipe the device unless the app is installed.

It's a growing market though, so expect iOS in particular to keep adding new features that actually make it manageable in each release.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everything that would only really have a use in 'Enterprise' is unmitigated poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The domain suffix is added through a domain join and also provided in a DHCP offer, but that doesn't let you specify multiple options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It shouldn't be an issue. Just set your DHCP lease time on your wireless network to a non-crazy duration.

Is it actually causing any problems?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's how we were told to deploy it onto RDS - buy one Office Pro Plus seat to get access to the media and install it. The license is with the user so the idea is that they 'bring it with them' when they log in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you deploy through GPO then it's not exactly tough to change it around anyway.

For the scenario you're describing I think you're better off looking at this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj556311.aspx

Edit: Ignore that, I thought it was something a bit more clever than "use the HA in your hypervisor".

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 12, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Demie posted:

I have been thinking about some challenges with print management. There will be a need soon for roaming printer setup, meaning that a laptop that travels from one site to the next will have to get its installed printers changed dynamically. We already have a goofball third-party solution we could use, but I'm wondering if anyone is managing this same thing with native Win Server roles or group policy. We don't have "sites" configured in Active Directory, but I imagine maybe that could make it possible.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/10/10/windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-location-aware-printing.aspx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have the two Sonicwalls already why wouldn't you set them up in HA?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you can even do failover HA, so if you put each of your connections through a switch and connect them up to identical ports on each Sonicwall (e.g. cable in X1, fiber in X2) then you get failover between your connections and an active/standby setup as far as your firewall goes as well. DMZ is just another zone, you've got a lot to play with on a 3600.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haven't you just described CrashPlan Pro?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I thought crashplan just backs up to their own servers. I want to back up to MY server.

Sorry, missed the e off the end.

http://www.code42.com/enterprise/private-cloud.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Has anyone ran into the SCCM software center displaying old apps/packages even after you've removed them? I cant seem to clear them out for users. Right now I have an install Office 2013 package that I use as an option to install during a lite touch deployment and for some reason it shows up as available for users in the software center. I dont want to have to delete the package and then remake one for my deployment but I'm afraid thats what it may come to.

I never know if a fix in SCCM is to just wait until tomorrow and see if it's fixed itself or make some other move. Things move so drat slow with it.

Pretty sure this is one of those "leave it a few hours" occasions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BackupAssist is good, and you can pair it with cloud providers if you want as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's bullshit that you can have 200 laptops with Windows 7 Pro OEM but to be able to buy SA you need to purchase 200 Windows licenses.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a Windows Server providing services then the clients that connect to it will need to be covered by a CAL, either a User or Device. But any company with a Windows server (should) already have those CALs. I guess it can get messy if you're selling a box with Server 2012 R2 on and the existing CALs are only 2008.

I think this is why a lot of people go "gently caress it" and shove Windows 7 on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've always been told that it doesn't matter what the software was, if it was running on Windows Server then you were in CAL territory. Although you could probably phone up 5 different reps and get different answers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want some billionaire to bring a test case against MS for this CAL bullshit. It just reeks of a scam once you've already paid for the server license and the client license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But with less regulation somehow