Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'd like to hear people's experience of USMT, specifically Loadstate.

Does it really work well out of the box, grabbing all the data that our beloved users like to hide? Does it get all the required settings/customisations of apps too?

And the hardlink store - that scares me a little, the idea that you dump all the user's data onto the same harddisk that you are about to format and trust that it survives the format just seems a little too trusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

So, you guys trust it then, that's good to know.

But, from what I am reading, you need to run with it a few times to make sure that it is scooping the right stuff.

So, if you have an organised shop, then it will work well for you. If you have a bit of a mess, where users aren't tied down too much, there's a fair chance of it missing something.

So, perhaps not the best tool for the new sheriff in town, but once things are a reasonably well-managed, it will do the job.

And it seems that all of you share my same sceptism for Hard Link Migration. Bunch of cyncics that we are.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've got a question about MDT

As I understand it, the official process is:

1) add a default image to MDT
2) add appropriate task sequences
3) deploy to a reference machine
4) capture an image of this reference machine
5) create new deployment share using this captured image
6) create new task sequence
7) deploy to new machines

I think I must be missing something pretty basic here: why perform 4-6?

4 is a checkbox selection in MDT, so it seems to be the Right Way, but to me it just looks like you are making extra work. What am I missing?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

peak debt posted:

Mostly for saving time during a large scale deployment.

...wisdomness...

quackquackquack posted:

I also skip 4-6 (both in MDT and SCCM).

....more wisdomness...

Derpes Simplex posted:

Ideally you would skip 3-5 and have all your software as packages,

...even more wisdomness

Thanks guys. that makes perfect sense.

I've been studying enterprise deployment and, for me, the most interesting part is the point at what one method becomes better than another one - which has lots of variables, depending on your exact company.

I've learn that if you read the 'Ticket' thread in SH/SHC at the same time as studying the official material, it is hard not to laugh in disbelief at the Utopian scenarios used in the books. They rarely mention crotchey old secretaries or moronic HR policies.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

That was my thoughts as well. I believe that MS recommends that you have 500+ PCs to make SCCM worth the effort to implement.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Stupid newbie question regarding KMS:

I understand that you start the KMS service with slmgr.vbs on a suitable server and this handles all the activation of clients with VLKs

What I am unclear about is how this service receives it authentication from MS. i.e. what is the process that happens that allows the KMS to issue activation info to its clients? How does the MS-side of things identify and authenticate this service as one that is allowed to activate clients?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

marketingman posted:

You use your KMS key to activate Windows on the KMS server. That's it, KMS server complete.

You can use slmgr.vbs too add extra keys into the KMS server so that it can activate OSes other than Server 2008 R2. And if you have a properly configured DNS setup, you practically never actually have to run slmgr.vbs - it's all done automatically.

But again if you've got a properly connected environment, you won't even need to enter the key, it'll grab the key and activate itself from the KMS server.

Ah, I get it.

So, you have a KMS key (that presumably was supplied on the paperwork when you signed up for Volume Licensing) and you have to manually install that key on the KMS Host using slmgr. That allows MS to activate the KMS host via the net and gives it the authority to activate n number of clients.

When you start up a Enterprise version of Win7, it already has the generic KMS Client keys built in and it activates automagically through the srv in DNS

With the KMS service, you can only configure the port number it uses - but not much else except add other OS/editions to the list that it supports.

Is that all correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

marketingman posted:

:words:

bear shark posted:

:words:

Thanks. I guess I missed the KMS Host Activation part because it is just too drat simple.

My mind was expecting either some console snapin with lots of options (a la VAMT) or at the very least a command line only tool with pages and pages of switches and options - most of which are only understood by 3 people in the whole world.